Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Liberal / NDP Coalition Government

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hypocrisy of the highest order is the fact that the Conservatives came up with this idea first in 2004 and now are crying bloody murder because the opposition actually gets to use it. What is the difference between now and then except for the fact that it's the Conservatives getting the boot? Where was the morality and ethics then if that is the argument Conservatives are making now?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harper cozyed up to the Blocs in 04. he never actually signed an accord with them. He also wrote to the GG that he was willing to step in as PM of a coalition govt if the PM failed his Confidence vote. The difference now is that the Dippers and Grits have actually SIGNED the deal with the devil and have written to the GG that they are in effect SEIZING power and have already appointed thier Cabinet FFS! The vote doesn't happen for another 6 days.

Who is putting the cart before the horse now! :mad:

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, it isn't.

Either two scenarios exist.

1) This has all been staged by Harper, and he knows exactly what he is doing and the grits and dippers have fallen for it....

or....

2) He made a mistake. Fact is he appointed Flaherty to put together the budget. That would be his bad.

fact is at the end of the day that Harper is too smart to have made this "mistake"...by accident.

This could be his end-around way of securing his majority, at least for the party, maybe not him as PM, but the next Election will most likely see a CPC majority, especially after the un holy union of the snakes.

even though i do not discount harper's intelligence, i think you give him too much credit - this was a mistake and his mistake, not flaherty - he forced the subsidy suspension issue... again - why make such an issue from a paltry sum of money (grand scheme of things).

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hurray! Greens & Separtists being appointed to senate!?

maybe: National Newswatch - Environment Minister Elizabeth May - Six separatists to the Senate??

there is your "peoples coalition" for you. :rolleyes:

your link has transport minister cannon stating that up to 6 separatists will be appointed to senate - highly reliable:rolleyes:

and there is nothing wrong with may being appointed - she has been in the political scene for a number of years and might actually do some work...

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harper cozyed up to the Blocs in 04. he never actually signed an accord with them. He also wrote to the GG that he was willing to step in as PM of a coalition govt if the PM failed his Confidence vote. The difference now is that the Dippers and Grits have actually SIGNED the deal with the devil and have written to the GG that they are in effect SEIZING power and have already appointed thier Cabinet FFS! The vote doesn't happen for another 6 days.

Who is putting the cart before the horse now! :mad:

They are just trying to be efficient;)

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harper erred, and has since come off his position, which I supported and most clear thinking folks would have supported, of trying to remove the subsidies for Political Parties. He has also committed to deliver an earlier than usual budget, which will now address the "Economic Crisis" :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that while the coalition, or proposed coalition, is legal, it is morally not sound.

The NDP are trying desperately to suppress the taped conversations the CPC got their hands on...why? Because they are trying to hide the fact that they started to plan this "power grab" well before the actual Election even happened.

Not sure all "clear thinking people" would agree with your statement on the subsidies, and what would you think if the positions were reversed (at least money-wise) for the Tories and Grits?

I think the NDP doesn't have a leg to stand on with regards to the taped conversation, because it was their error, but I do understand the need for confidential talks within a caucus in order for the most free debate on a policy, etc... Not exactly apples to apples, but confidential discussions around a board table about a possible merger could be detrimental to the process if leaked. Even if everyone understands implicitly that the deal is a bit of a bargain with the devil, it's a lot harder to get agreement and consensus when the background workings of the individual players are known publicly.

And, I think Harper is going to be a baby, take his ball and go home - have the gg shut down parliament until the new year, then try again... possibly to the same effect. However, he is now aware that the 3 other parties are willing to play nice with each other, so he may have to learn how to do the same.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. All clear thinking people would. I for one would have no issue with it if there was a role reversal. the fact is there isn't. People and Business do not financially support causes they do not believe in. People and Business support causes they do believe in. The money flowing to the parties is representative by the voting patterns of the last election(s) Give me good sound logical reasons why tax dollars should go to political parties. Please, I beg you. So that they can run attack ads? So each MP can have three assistants do their work for them instead on one? Please. It is a bad argument propped up by the fact that nearly 87% of the bloc funding comes from the taxpayers of Canada. How can you make a logical argument for tax payers to fund a party whose sole purpose of existence is to either separate from Canadian Federation, or siphon more money than they deserve/need to keep english off street signs, business signs etc?

2. There is a need for confidential talks, but why oh why do you suppose that exact conversation was taped!? Because the CPC knew (Along with the Globe and Mail and Canada Post who couldn't publish the news) that these deals were done and talks were happening. There was blood in the water already. CPC and Harper knew and had them taped.

3. Harper could, he could also sack the GG if he wants. He could also step down (unlikely) He could also sack Flaherty and apologize. He could also make deals to bloc and Dipper MP's to either appoint them to Senate positions or have them cross the floor (like voters, many of the back benchers that are not getting sweetheart cabinet jobs could be irate at the coalition and siding with Satan (Duceppe) and Tweedle-Dum (Duceppe)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
... there is nothing wrong with may being appointed - she has been in the political scene for a number of years and might actually do some work...
Sure is... She was not even elected in her own riding and her "Party" has failed to get 1 seat in how many elections now, even in the last one with Federal Tax Dollar funding!!!!:rolleyes:

She has Zero track record in Federal Politics.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure is... She was not even elected in her own riding and her "Party" has failed to get 1 seat in how many elections now, even in the last one with Federal Tax Dollar funding!!!!:rolleyes:

Proof of that is she chose to run in Peter McKay's riding, he's by some distance the post popular conservative.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing Biblical about it. This is not what the people of Canada voted for. They are technically snakes since they have backroom dealt their way to power[sic] and it is a union....of sorts :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hypocrisy of the highest order is the fact that the Conservatives came up with this idea first in 2004 and now are crying bloody murder because the opposition actually gets to use it. What is the difference between now and then except for the fact that it's the Conservatives getting the boot? Where was the morality and ethics then if that is the argument Conservatives are making now?

Let me ask you something OD, and I want your honest opinion (since you and I are both polar oposite and biased to it)...do you actually think this coalition is good for Canada RIGHT NOW? Do you think this will do more to help us or hurt us?

I need to know what good you think will come of it.

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Has nothing to do with the senate - only one person was every "elected" to senate, though I'm not sure he got appointed. Noone else has every been elected (to my knowledge) - they have all been appointed, many of them with absolutely NO politcal experience, and some with political experience do not have FEDERAL experience.

just wikipedia'd it and alberta apparently has several elected "senators in waiting" and 2 have been appointed - 1 in 1990 by mulroney and the other recently by harper

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter McKay is a legend. He should actually commandeer power from Harper of the CPC and this whole thing would blow over. And the NDP and Libs would be left holding the bag with no more axes to grind, except learning how to function in the real world, with real jobs once they are unemployed following the next election.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The latest Senate appointment I am up to speed on is Larry Campbell, long time politico, he had a long and successful history in politics. period. He was appointed, and although he is an attention whore, it was the first Western appointment to Senate in some time, and long overdue. He was BC Coroner and a long time RCMP officer and drug squad member.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elizabeth May should have been named Environment minister 7 weeks ago. She actually understands the bio-fuel markets, and where the industry can take us in the future as a leader on the alternative energy front, both environmentally and economically. Would have been a balsy and unconventionally wise move then.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
what is that I smell? ;) oh yeah, hypocrisy of the highest order.... :rolleyes:

If you want to talk hypocrisy:

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper accused Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion of betraying Canadian voters with the proposed Liberal-NDP coalition to replace the Conservative minority government, saying Dion is "turning his back" on the results of the recent federal election." - CBC Article

And when Emerson crossed the floor, he didn't turn his back on the voters who elected a Liberal? Come on, all these examples of politicians saying one thing in the past and the opposite thing now are all the same. They will say whatever they need to further their agenda at that time. Harper is getting exactly what he deserves; he's an arrogant liar and I will love to see the look on his face when and if his minority government is defeated and replaced. Then the coalition will have 18 months to put up or shut up.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elizabeth May is a lifetime Student/Activist with a Legal Degree. That is all. She is also an American, born in 54, moving from Conneticut to the Maritimes in '74

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0