Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Results 2001/2002/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Results

Norvan over BBY B. Sorry FB, but I think with 2 decent keepers and more experienced players at this level, Norvan wins 3-1.
Don't bother with the lottery CD 'cause you won't win. Final score... 1-1. Told my girls to play for the draw so I could go perfect on my picks.;)
Actually, Burnaby controlled most of this game. Norvan capitalized on an early chance with Bby playing with ten (because my trainer was AWOL and we were scrambling to get everyone taped up). But had it not been for a serious lack of finish on our part, this one would have been three for Burnaby.

Other scores...

Surrey U. over Semi 5-0
A gimme since BD tried to reschedule the game but didn't give enough notice and got hit with the big default. When it rains it pours, eh BD?

Westside over Poco 4-0
I picked Westies but not by this margin. Poco's lack of GK may have showed through here, plus I think Westside may have been out to prove something after barely escaping with the win the week earlier.

No score from UBC and SBAA, but I'll go out on a limb and say that UBC ran away with this one. If I am right, I went 4-0 this week! :D Woohoo! I should get out of coaching and into handicapping!

I'll keep everyone updated from Nats this week.

FBgonnahavesomescreechontherockandthenbringhomesomegold!!!

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Luck in the big tourney!

Fat Bastard, We hope all things pull together for a "Repeat" !

From Taiwan,
T-Bone and AJ:D :wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
National Result

Burnaby Canadians - 7
Prince Edward Island - 0

At least PEI didn't pack the box with 11. Give them credit for at least playing the game. Burnaby opened the scoring in the 23rd minute off a Paige Pratt tally. The Canadians then added two more quickly with goals from Robyn Scott (27) and Kristine Jack (29). They took a 3-0 lead to the change rooms at half time.

Burnaby continued the onslaught with four more in the second half. Robyn scored her second in the 57th. Phebe Trotman also added two (68,89), bookending a goal by 18 year old Kelty Linnen (82).

Burnaby returns to the pitch on Saturday morning against Saskatchewan, whose rep has been responsible for some political shenanigans today. Burnaby will be looking for some payback for the headaches they've had to deal with today because of him.

I'll keep you posted.

FBcatchingupwiththeteamonSunday:wa:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fatty...

Kick those Sasqwatch girls to the curb!

"Best of luck," here on out!

From,
T-Bone and AJ...
currently enjoying a couple of Budwisers in an Internet Cafe:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Canadians mixed results

In the early game, the "B" side was thoroughly trashed by a fully-loaded Surrey United side. The final was 8-0. Burnaby put up a fight, but Surrey was bolstered by Artuso and Blaker making their season debuts. Don't know the official stats, but I would guess they accounted for five goals (?).

Burnaby will get back at it next week against Semiahmoo. The 3 points will be vital to stay out of the cellar and keep pace with Novan, SBAA, Westside and Poco.

As for Semiahmoo, they had their best result of the year, losing only 4-0 to Burnaby "A". Amazing what a full 11 and a real keeper might do for you. In all fairness, Burnaby, still reeling from the screwing they got back east, did dominate the game, but couldn't finish - a combination of some poor shooting and some decent keeping by the Semi keeper. If Burnaby finished half of their legit scoring chances the score would have been 10-0. It would be nice to see Burnaby take care of one of the weaker teams once in a while, but they just don't seem interested in beating teams going away (unless of course they're Saskatchewan).

No word on the other games.

FBlookingforwardtodecentmatchversusBD'sladies

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U won 9- something. Zero sounds right.

I hear the Girls forwards are going play for the men next week. Someone has to score. It really should come as no surprise that the girls have very little trouble "scoring" in Surrey. :D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U won 9- something. Zero sounds right.
9-0 or 8-0 ... whatever.

In the politically correct, always-be-nice, it's-not-about-winning world that is the MWSL, it's only 5-0 anyhow. I'll take it. It is at this time that I would like to say that I am a staunch supporter of this rule.;)

FBtickedhehastowaityetanotherweekforhiscollegeplayers:mad: (alldouglashadtodowasdraw!!!)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
mixed results for Burnaby

On a positive note, the "B" squad recorded their first win, a 6-0 thumping of Semiahmoo. Unfortunately, BD came with just eight players. It would have been a good match had Semi come with a full-squad. Nevertheless, Burnaby did what they had to do, and dominated the match until the ref stopped it with just under 10 minutes left.

Semi will get some players back next week (as will Burnaby and others) with the college season over, and I would expect them to be much tougher from here on out.

Unfortunately, Burnaby's "A" side couldn't repeat the feat, and came away with a very disappointing 1-1 draw with SBAA. In all fairness, Burnaby dominated but their on-going lack of finish really bit them in the butt this day. SBAA scored on their only shot, which came from an indirect free kick inside the area, due to a very questionable obstruction call.

Nevertheless, both teams will get back at it this FRIDAY NIGHT in the first Burnaby Derby. Kickoff is at 8:00pm, at Burnaby Lake West. With club bragging rights on the line, and with the "B" players having a little something to prove, it should be a decent match.

Fridaynightwomen'ssoccer...whowouldhavethunkit?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 1C appauling behaviour

I attended my wifes Div 1C game this morning to watch them take on SBAA. Upon arriving I thought the ref was doing a pretty good job. Missed a few calls here and there but overall was doing a good job.
After missing one call I said to a friend beside me that he made a bad call and this friend preceded to tell me an awful pregame story.

The ref came to our side of the field to do a pre-game check of cleats and names. Was satisfied with everything and told the girls to have a good game. He then went to the other side of the field to check the other team. While over there, the ref got a little information from their coach, who is also a board member of MWSL, and the ref then decided he needed to come back and have a chat with our team again.

He proceeded to tell us that he had heard that our team was chippy, yappy and liked to complain alot and that they better not do that with him. I was flaburgasted.

Obviously the opposing coach had already given the ref a bias towards our team even before the game had started. He didn't even get to form his own opinion about them. It was given to him instead.
After the game, the ref mentions to our team that, "he quite enjoyed the game" and "he would put in a note that they were very good this game". He makes them sound like there a bunch of hackers.

I guess being that our side is in first place and the SBAA is in second 4 points behind they look for every advantage but as a board member, you don't say those kinds of things to the referees in your league, it's just unfair.

I have not mentioned the coachs name but most of you will either know him already or will easily be able to figure out who he is. As my wife used to play for his team a few years back, it was expected that he would pull a stunt like that to help get a win.

PS: They did all the yapping today, not us.

Final result SBAA 2 - Pitt Medows 1
Pitt didn't deserve to win the game as they didn't play well enough to deserve it.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know what it sounds like

I know it sounds like I'm complaining because we lost but my wife isn't playing right now as she's 5 months along but I just think that it's unfair for the rest of the team to have to play with that.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Typical...

Isn't this typical behaviour from our league president. This is pretty much par for the course for him...

In summer league two years ago, he told the ref that "he was president of the league and he didn't need ID cards," when asked for them.

A few years back he didn't have all his players registered in time for the first game. He asked the opposing coach is it was OK if he played those players anyhow, as he told the opposing coach, "you know who all my players are."

In past years his teams were also notorious for not paying their fees until well past the due dates and into the season, in essence being granted credit by the league. No other team would be allowed this.

For those of you who have come to the realization finally, yes, there are two sets of rules in this league. However, most of us, including myself, find ourselves stuck with the set far different than that used by certain board members and their friends.

FBhasbrokenhissilencewithabang...hopetheboarddoesn'treadthis!

Superstar

Oct 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
POCO = 5 NORVAN = 0

WHAT WENT WRONG HERE? HAVE I BEEN TOTALLY UNDER ESTIMATING POCO OR DID NORVAN'S LACK OF MATURITY FINALLY CATCH UP TO THEM?!

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
supastar, is that you?

next thing you know PoCo will be winning the Penticton tourney...:eek:

Superstar

Oct 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's so ludicrous! Absolutely anyone who knows anything about soccer knows who the Penticton tourney belongs to!!

spartansrulepentictonforever:cool:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
yup, Penticton it is...

what about other results...

How is the Westside gang fending these days?

+SCwhocan'tgetanupdatefromherownfriends:confused:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poco 5 - Norvan 0

Poco doesn't have much in way of offense. So this result looks conspicuously like a Norvan forfeit.

Can someone shed more light here.:confused:

Norvan plays Burnaby A on Sunday, so they better show up with there top game or it could be a very long day.

Adios!
FB

RANT::mad:
FB is getting sick of people who call in to radio call-in shows using the same schtick that gets used on the "Jim Rome Show" where his 'clones' don't ask a question so much as spit out a unintelligible diatribe without periods and commas.

FBfromV-townisout.:p

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I hear......

From what CD hears, there are some underlying problems on the Norvan team.....and POCO has picked up quite a few good college players....so this may have contributed to the recent scoreline. Just an educated guess though:D

FB.....I haven't been to a game lately....perhaps an update on the current situation. Who looks good? Did BBY A get all of their college players from last year back? Is Alumni really as good as their record and do they have a good shot at getting back the BC title? Is Semiahmoo competitive yet?

CDsorryforallthesemorningquestions:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Answers for CD

CD:

BBY A has got almost all of their college players back. This past weekend they added Ros Hicks (UBC), Jen Craig and Anna Hillborn (SFU) and Sophia Hidalgo (Cap). Still waiting for Kristine Jack, who's out until after Xmas after having her knee scoped last week. However, on Sunday, it appeared that Ros Hicks and Amber Allen quickly became quite a tandem - the two of them (and frankly the whole team) put on quite the clinic for offensive skills. Unfortunately, some near misses and some bad breaks in their own end gave Surrey three points that should have gone to Burnaby. With KJ and Gill Hicks set to return in the new year, Burnaby may be loading up for another run.

UBC is as good as their record, or at least I think so. Burnaby and Surrey have become "score now, play defense later" teams. Entertaining yes, but as they say, "live by the sword, die by the sword." UBC however has a solid and experienced back line which allows their team to stay tight and wait for the opportunities - which players like Amy Apps and Thea Roggerman are quite capable of finishing.

I would say that UBC has to be the favourite right now, with Surrey a close second. Too very different philosophies of play, but equally effective. Given their struggles thus far, (despite my obvious bias) I have to say Burnaby is third in this three horse race to win the Province Cup. (Of course, anything can happen in Cup.)

FB

ohyeah,semiahmoostillnotcompetietive(sorryBD)

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks FB....

Appreciate the update and your "take" FB (sorry to use a Rome word!).

After hearing from a few what Alumni are doing, I kind of like their new approach....a few very young players mixed in with veterans that have "been there". They seemed too old the last couple of seasons to seriously defend their title.....but they may have corrected that. Haven't seen SU play, but by their record, they do seem they can score and overpower teams.

CDwonderingwhyBBYBwasn'tinFB'stop3fortitle:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0