Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nations Cup 06' - Results & Banter

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess not. I could show you some of the wakeboarding pictures I took on the weekend, though.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More than a few mis-quotes, but what are you going to do?... it's the local newspaper:rolleyes:
Pride on the line at Nations Cup
By Don Fennell
Sports Editor
Jul 27 2006

Sporting a derby-style hat cleverly altered to look like a soccer ball, and attired in green and white, SC left no doubt of her allegiance at last weekend's Nations Cup.

At least when it came to the women's open division.

And as Ireland's victorious players frolicked in the background Sunday after their dramatic shootout win over England to retain the women's title-frequently acknowledging their player-coach and dousing her with water after a failed attempt to shower her with a bucket of ice water during a press interview-SC spoke passionately about the inclusion of women's soccer two years ago in the classic local tournament where players are grouped based on their ethnic backgrounds.

"Last year there wasn't a lot of publicity for the women, and I was disappointed by that," she said. "When I was a kid, I'd come here to watch the Nations Cup every summer and when I grew to be an adult I really enjoyed the atmosphere of everything and the national pride. It was fantastic to finally be part of it, and to become the first to play and coach in the Nations Cup and win it was a great feeling."

Along with former Canadian Soccer League pro Stephen Burns, SC has played an integral role in developing Richmond-based Club Ireland to include a women's program which formed the basis of Ireland's entry in the Nations Cup. She said the opportunity to help grow women's soccer is part of what motivates her to coach.

"There are a lot of talented people out there," she said, noting that several of the Richmond girls she coached when they were 11-years-old.

"We have our pro teams but there's a lot of hidden talent that doesn't get that exposure. It was great to see so many fans supporting (the women) at the Nations Cup."

SC pointed to a pair of young Club Ireland players-Caitlin Davie and Kelli Ann McCabe-as examples. Both players shone in last weekend's tournament. In fact many observers felt that Davie, just 17, was the top player in the tournament although there is no such award.

"Every time I went to check the other scores people were asking me who that was," SC noted.

"It was a lot of fun and a good atmosphere; kind of like a mini World Cup," Davie said. "I though the calibre was excellent and I felt I did well."

SC said scouts seldom watch regular-season women's games, but suggested they're more likely to attend a tournament such as the Nations Cup. She said it's now common for American schools to recruit Canadian players, but she would prefer to see more of our players opt to stay home and play at our colleges and universities.

SC believes more young women-perhaps looking to advance further in soccer-may be attracted to participate in the Nations Cup in the future if they know it could lead to more and better opportunities.

"There are still a lot of local and very good players who are not here," she noted. "I hope we can build this to 12 or even 16 teams (in the next few years). It's possible, we just have to make the room for it."

Ireland's 2-1 decision over England Sunday on the Minoru turf capped an undefeated run in this year's Nations Cup. Keeper Margaret Cotterell, whose steady play in net was integral in the team's success, netted the winning goal on the 10th penalty kick. Cotterell scored on a low, hard shot to the left of the English keeper whose penalty kick she had stopped only seconds earlier by diving to her right.

Fitness was a factor, said Ireland's coach SC.

"I thought there was a lot of kick-and-run toward the end of the tournament. It was a bit scattered and wasn't a particularly good reflection of the talent."

"I thought our best game was our first, Saturday, against Portugal (which Ireland won 4-1)," SC added. "We died a bit in the second half but we played some beautiful football. Our (subsequent) match against Canada was a bit scrappy and scrambly."

SC said this year's tournament was very competitive, and that as defending champions Ireland felt the pressure perhaps more than any side.

"I selected players this year for their attitudes," she explained. "I wanted them to have fun (but) we were also motivated by a fear factor hearing rumours that the other teams were out for us."
I didn't see any guys coverage:confused:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess no one can get our score right, since they weren't watching the game:p

India snags Nations Cup

By Claire Le Noury

Richmond hosted its own version of the World Cup this past weekend, but it was India who took top honours.

Italy came in second with a final score of 2 - 1.

"It was good to see India win the title," said President for the Nation's Cup Geoff Penniston.

India was in the finals last year, but failed to go all the way with the Caribbeans taking gold with a 3 - 0 win.

Ireland repeated history by beating England. The score was 1 -1 when it went into penalty kicks in the women's Open Division.

This is the second year of the women's division in the Nations Cup.

"(It was) very successful," said Penniston. "We started it last year (and) it was an experiment." Last year the women's division had four teams this year it doubled.

"We'd like to make it bigger but we're limited for space," he said.

This is the 27th year of the Nation's Cup in Richmond, with players coming from the top leagues, according to Penniston. He added the Nation's Cup sets itself apart from other soccer competitions thanks to its international flavour.

"What makes (the Nation's Cup) different from any other tournament is the multi-cultural aspect," he said.

Penniston added because players are representing their countries the tournament receives more spectators.

Over all, Penniston said the Nation's Cup had 2,000 to 3,000 fans come and watch, with about 1,000 on Sunday, the day of the finals.

The tournament is divided up into separate sections Open Age, Over 30, Over 38, and Over 45 divisions.

"The tournament allows players from various age groups to compete," according to the Nations Cup web site.

Canada won in the Over 30 and Over 45, taking the gold from England both times. While in the Over 38 division Scotland beat China 3 - 1.

published on 07/26/2006

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"There are a lot of talented people out there," she said, noting that several of the Richmond girls she coached when they were 11-years-old.
Oooh. That's gotta make you feel old, eh? :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0