Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NBA 2004-2005 banter and BS

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eddy Curry, the No. 4 pick in '01, hopes to be next in line for a big payday. His representatives already have made their pitch.

''We talked to [operations chief John] Paxson about a week ago and left an offer with him, and he said he would give it to [chairman Jerry] Reinsdorf,'' said Lamont Carter, who -- with Darren White -- represents Curry. ''We asked for the max, and Paxson said he didn't feel they'd pay that. We don't expect to hear anything from them right away. They haven't given us any numbers. Pau got his money because he's already proved himself.''

A league source says White and Carter asked for a six-year deal paying $78 million. The window for extensions closes on Oct. 31. If nothing is signed, Curry will become a restricted free agent after this season. The Bulls will be able to match any offer he receives.

I almost puked when I saw this. This guy hasn't done shite in the NBA and wants almost the max salary? The Bulls owner has to stand up and say no. You can't give that much money to a player based on marginal potential.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trade talk:

Rahim and ?? for Carter and J.Rose...

Portland apparentely declined because they arent impressed with j.rose.

Maybe they dont want a head case, cuz we all know portland is a bunch of straight up guys.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just finished watching the Lowlights on TSN what a sick display in Detroit tonight. Heads will roll for this I'm sure. Artest finally did what everyone was waiting for and go utterly and completely postal.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Artest is getting a bad rap on this one... the fans went overboard and some of them got what they probably had coming to them for a couple of years now.

Did you see the one guy get rocked who tried to get into it with Artest on the court?

Go to espn.com and install their new video program and watch the following interview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/motion/showcase/index?videos=1927624

You'll see near the end when the fan gets laid out pretty good :D

Detroit Rock City,

~Regs.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I think Artest is getting a bad rap on this one...

Brilliant pun. Well played.

As for the dust-up. Here's how it works. If you're in the stands and you pull a jerkoff move, like tossing your beer at a player, it's up to the security guards to sort you out. For further reading on this, please see Incident Report #02-9482736 - Chris Johnson vs. Orca Bay Security (Lt. Rye Ninja). A landmark case in appropriate crowd control.

If you take to the floor, and put yourself in the octagon (so to speak), then I feel it's free game for the players to sort you out, which O'Neal did quite well. That fat dude was bloody fortunate JO slipped while throwing...otherwise we could have seen the first live head-caving in NBA history.

Here's how this whole thing will play out. Nobody at the NBA office wants to jeopardize the suddenly-more-intense, can't-miss-the-sequel Indy v. Detroit grudge match which is scheduled for....wait for it now....CHRISTMAS DAY!! This game is part of the 'Hoop Revenge" doubleheader which also has the first meeting between Kobe and Shaq scheduled. So you've got the best sports brawl of the last decade, the Kobe rape trial, the Shaq vs. Kobe feud, a repeat of last year's Eastern conference finals and the dismantling of the Laker dynasty all coming to a head on one night. Talk about a ratings bonanza.

The Pacers have exactly 15 games between now and Dec. 25th (including tonight's affair in Orlando). Since the suspensions have started already, my guess is that the max offender - Artest - gets exactly 15 games and has his first game back against the Pistons. Seriously. Stern may be publically punishing the players for this pathetic portrayal of pugilism (channeling, Don King) but I see this as hype and exposure no amout of bling bling could ever buy.

Stern may be a nerd, but he's no dummy. You CANNOT keep Ron Artest out of the rematch at Christmas. And I can't imagine he will.

Regards,
- Stu Jackson.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wanna make a bet this blows over in a 3-4 weeks? And Todd Burtuzzi is a thug... :rolleyes:

The fat D Rock fan must have an iron gob for taking that punch and getting right back up like that though basketball player must throwss the gayest punchesss evers...

Ssstop hitting me...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you take to the floor, and put yourself in the octagon (so to speak), then I feel it's free game for the players to sort you out, which O'Neal did quite well.
Agreed but they were all in the stands? I haven't caught a full recap yet but how and why where they up there?

I hate it when my posts come in late

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suspensions were revealed today:

INDIANA:

Ron Artest: 72 Games, Remainder of season....
Stephen Jackson: 30 Games
Jermaine O'Neal: 25 Games
Anthony Johnson: 5 Games
Reggie Millers: 1 Game

DETROIT:

Ben Wallace: 6 Games
Chauncey Billups: 1 Game
Elden Campbell: 1 Game
Derrick Coleman: 1 Game

All of the one game suspensions were due to leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent job by the NBA...

I still think O'neal should get more... even though the fan he hit was on teh court, that was well blindsided... could say a bertuzzi like punch. Just imagine the lawsuits that are going to happen... but the NBA did a good job suspending artest for the year, that is uncalled for.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What does everyone think about B.Wallace getting 6?? If nothing would have escalated it would have been 1-3 games...pushes and shoves happen, dont know if he deserves 6.

havent heard anything if Detroit is gonna punish the fans or not...in my mind, if they have evidence of who threw beer/pop at the players, they should look at revoking season tickets, banning ticket sales...There is no way any fan should be allowed back in the building after that. I know if I got a cup of beer throwin at my head itd be tough to be a proffesional and walk away. I guess thats the biz...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not so much what Detroit should do, the league should punish the Pistons for the fans part. Make them play 5 home games in GM Place with revenues going to the Tall Ships Festival.

:rolleyes:

~Regs.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Not so much what Detroit should do, the league should punish the Pistons for the fans part. Make them play 5 home games in GM Place with revenues going to the Tall Ships Festival.

:rolleyes:

~Regs.

That's what they do in Europe for soccer... Well atleast in Croatia it's been done a few times where home fans were not aloud at the games... or they are played elsewhere.

Atleast Artest can now concentrate on his music career.... :eek:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJB said:
That's what they do in Europe for soccer...

Europe, thats a good idea, have the Pistons play thier games in Spain, they love black athletes there. Would love to see them try and go into the stands there.

hos

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really, really hope the NBA Players Union steps in and tries to reduce some of those suspensions.

I didn't agree with the length and severity of the Bertuzzi punishment, and I certainly don't agree with sitting Artest for 72 games. To put it in perspective, Sprewell got 60-something games for ATTEMPTING TO STRANGLE HIS COACH, while Vernon Maxwell got 10-games in 1994 for going into the stands to knock a fan who was verbally harassing him all night.

Artest was completely wrong for going into the stands...I agree. But I don't understand why what he did was worth double the suspensions of both O'Neal and Jackson.

Bottom line is this...Stern wasn't about to have this NBA incident become the national frenzy the Bertuzzi-Moore scenario became. He is thanking his lucky stars none of those punches broke any necks or caved any faces in. So he goes for overkill with the punishments, which is why Wallace got six games for a move which normally nets you a flagrant foul. Part of the Big Ben suspension was an indirect blow to the Detroit franchise for having their fans become crazed and instigate the whole affair.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good point Sensei.

The thing that kills me in all this is Stern et al blathering on about how incidents like this will ruin the game. It's the same thing with the NHL and the lockout situation... the game will not change, the game will always live on, it's the NBA and the NHL that will suffer... let's not lose sight of that... fcuking clowns at the top never will get it :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem with the NBA, is the attitudes that the new age of players have. They think they are all "Gangsters" or "Gang Bangers" or something like that. The Rap industry has the same thing, young men with lots of talent, making Millions of dollars, but they are acting like they are on the street corner.

Back in the 80's with players like Jordan and Bird, those players had respect for each other and the fans, they tried to be professionals. The kids today in the league, don't even have to go to College before they enter the league, and then they pull crap like that. I hope the guy losses his contract allong with the 1 year suspension.

hos

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey NBA players, Get a Clue!!!!!!!

INDIANAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves center Michael Olowokandi was arrested early Thursday after police used a stun gun to subdue him when he refused to leave a club.

Olowokandi, 29, was taken into custody about 3 a.m. after he refused to leave Tiki Bob's, said Indianapolis Police spokesman Sgt. Stephen Staletovich.

He was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing, both misdemeanors, Staletovich said.

The center was suspended by the team for Thursday night's game against the Indiana Pacers for "conduct detrimental to the team," Timberwolves general manager Jim Stack said in a statement.

Olowokandi was held overnight in an Indianapolis jail and released Thursday afternoon.

Staletovich said the club's manager asked police, who were investigating another call, to help him get the 7-foot Olowokandi to leave. He refused, and police shocked him twice with a stun gun until he complied and then took him into custody.

"We are extremely disappointed in Michael Olowokandi's actions last night," Stack said. "Regardless of how the incident escalated, he never should have been in that situation. The Minnesota Timberwolves do not condone this type of behavior or any actions that negatively impact our franchise."

Olowokandi is averaging 5.3 points and 5.2 rebounds this season.

Timberwolves point guard Sam Cassell said the situation would not distract the team.

"Distractions only happen on the court," Cassell said. "Michael's a human being. We support him. Let's not jump on him. Let's get all the facts first."

Stack alluded to the Pacers' brawl with Detroit fans last week in chastising Olowokandi. Ron Artest was suspended for the season, Stephen Jackson for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25 games for fighting with Pistons fans who threw drinks, popcorn, a chair and other debris at them.

"The heightened sensitivity to these types of issues in the league today make his actions even more disappointing," Stack said.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I fully agree, most of today’s young NBA superstars do carry them selves as “Gangstars/Hood Rats” but keep in mind that was once a way of life for many of them! I’m not trying to make excuses for any of these athletes but as they mature as people they’re also going to mature as players or vies versa. Remember, “You can take tha thug out tha ghetto but you can never take tha ghetto out tha thug” (Tu Pac). Besides for every young star who hasn’t yet realized he’s living a dream there’s two who have exceeded they’re roles as heroes, LeBron James CLE, Justin Reed BOS, Tayshaun Prince DET, Yao Ming HOU, Shaun Livingston LAC, Chris Duhon CHI, & Carmelo Anthony DEV too name a few. As far as the suspensions go I’m sure commissioner Stern didn’t hesitate in calling former NBA executive Gary Bettman for advise considering the poor handling of both the Bertuzzi incident & now the poor handling of the Artest / Jackson / O'Neal / Johnson / Wallace incident. Just my opinion…..

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0