Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NBA 2004-2005 banter and BS

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just imagine what some of these guys have to go though...

An example..

Tyson Chandler

An absolute stud at 18years old, Dominguez High...Right in the heart of Compton, CA. Living as ghetto as is comes....says im gonna go straight to the pros, what do i have to lose...doesnt wanna deal with stress of college and attending classes, doesnt wanna risk injury to provent him from making big figures, how can u blame the guy. Gets into the L going Number 2 to the Clips. Gets a nice contract, prolly making 3-5mil a year for his first 3 years. What the hell does he know about money, how would you deal with it....everyone would do the same shite....go buy big houses, go big 100,000$ vehicles, youd be lying if you said anythin else...."id go put it into rrsp's and bank it, so i can collect interest"....fcuk, the only reason Chandler even knew about banks was because he robbed one when he was 9. You gotta realize where a lot of these people are coming from, who they have to provide for and ect.

Gotta give a lot of these guys credit....because 95% turn out to be good people and better players. List off all the high schoolers that came into the league...not many have got into too much serious shite...and i wouldnt even think about putting bad raps on Jermaine Oneal...guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time...one of the classier guys in the L...Thats my rant.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
www.tsn.ca
Canadian Press
Raptors trade Carter to Nets

"Ridding their roster of its biggest name, the Raptors traded the disgruntled star swingman to the New Jersey Nets on Friday in exchange for veterans Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two future first-round draft choices.

Toronto receives the 2005 pick originally belonging to Philadelphia and the 2006 first-round pick that was originally Denver's. When the Raptors get to use the two picks depend on those teams' finish in the next few years.
To make room for the new players, the Raptors waived forward Jerome Moiso - who had been nailed to the bench by coach Sam Mitchell - and placed rookie forwards Rafael Araujo and Pape Sow on the injured list.

Toronto gives up a star player whose marquee value and on-court performance had been fading of late. Plus Carter wanted out.

''Vince said it to me that sometimes we just need a chance of scenery,'' rookie Raptors GM Rob Bab**** told reporters. ''And this is probably a situation where it's the best thing for Vince and the best thing for us.''

The undersized Raptors also gain some veteran muscle up front, and some hope for the future via the draft choices.

The two Williams give the Raptors interior toughness and some character, said Bab****, whose head coach is big on that trait.

''They are also the kinds of people character-wise we want in our program - tough guys, professional basketball players, professional attitude on the court and off the court, team-oriented players. Veterans that have been around and really know the ropes.''

''The two draft picks are really, I think, the crucial centrepoint of this trade,'' Bab**** added. ''It gives us an opportunity to get two young assets to our team down the road or to use those draft picks to help facilitate a trade that would be beneficial to our team.''

There is some question whether Mourning will ever join the Raptors. He has some health issues and may not want to pull up stakes for another rebuilding team.

''I think this is a very good trade for the future but I think immediately, right now, today, once these guys get adjusted ... it makes us a better basketball team, right now,'' said Bab****.

He'll be able to check that Sunday when Toronto hosts the Nets.
The Raptors were in Indiana on Friday for a game against the Pacers while the Nets were in Memphis.

There had been plenty of trade rumours surrounding Carter in recent days, but none involving New Jersey. Portland and the New York Knicks had been touted as possible destinations. Fellow big-ticket Raptor Jalen Rose had also been reported on the trading block.

''It's going to be hard to replace somebody like that,'' Toronto forward Donyell Marshall, speaking to reporters in Indiana prior to the Raptors-Pacers game, said of Carter. ''He was to Canada what Michael Jordan was to the Bulls.''

''He's the face of Canada pretty much, Canadian basketball,'' echoed Raptors teammate Chris Bosh. ''He's been the first icon of the Raptors. He's been a great player, he still is a great player and I think he will continue to do good, just somewhere else now.''

There could be more deals as Bab**** revamps an underachieving team.
''I think that was the No. 1 move, and the first domino, but I think that's one move that's going to probably lead to a couple of other moves,'' Rose told Raptors TV.

Asked if he was finished dealing, Bab**** replied: ''You're never done.''
The Miami Heat have been rumoured as a possible destination for Rose, with Eddie Jones possibly coming the other way.

Carter, placed on the injured list Dec. 10, is currently sidelined with an Achilles problem and wasn't eligible to return for the Raptors until Wednesday. He last played Dec. 8 in a 90-86 overtime loss at Detroit, putting up five points on 2-for-8 shooting in 18 minutes.

Carter, 27, signed a six-year contract extension after the 2001-02 season worth more than $90 million US, and will make $12.6 million this season - that's slightly more than the entire football payroll of six CFL teams.

But the five-time all-star, known as Air Canada north of the border, had been at the centre of swirling trade rumours for much of last season, which only intensified after he finally went public in the off-season with his desire to be dealt. Carter said he'd grown weary of Toronto's losing ways and the uncertainty around the franchise the past couple of seasons.

Carter was also reportedly angry at Richard Peddie, CEO and president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., for leaving him out of the loop when the club hired Bab**** to replace Glen Grunwald.

Carter was also playing for his third coach in as many seasons in Mitchell, who has shown no qualms about benching his stars if they don't perform.

Toronto's NBA team has lost big names before. Carter's cousin Tracy McGrady bolted for Orlando in 2000 while Damon Stoudamire was dealt to Portland in 1998.

Carter is also the second star athlete on his way out of town, after talks with free-agent slugger Carlos Delgado broke down with the Toronto Blue Jays two weeks ago.

The Raptors started the season at 3-0 but slumped to 8-16, losing seven straight before a win over Minnesota prior to Friday night's game. New Jersey was 7-14 heading into their game Friday with the Grizzlies.

Carter, a North Carolina grad, is a former slam dunk champion who was once known for a taste for the spectacular. At the Sydney Olympics, he dunked over seven-foot-two Frederic Weis of France while playing for the Dream Team.

But in recent years, he has been frustrated by injuries and the Raptors' lack of success. The Raptor's franchise player appeared reluctant to be the team leader and fans grew fatigued with Carter's seeming low pain threshold.

At one point this season, Carter even said he had stopped dunking although he later recanted and said he was joking.

Mourning, 34, averaged 10.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 25.4 minutes per game with the Nets. The six-foot-10 centre boasts career averages of 19.8 points, 9.6 rebounds and three blocks over 12 seasons with Charlotte, Miami and New Jersey.

Mourning's health is a serious issue. He was diagnosed with a serious kidney ailment in 2000 that forced him to miss most of the 2000-01 season. Mourning made an emotional comeback in 2001, averaging 15.7 points in 75 games before kidney problems forced him into retirement in 2002.

He returned but played just 12 games last season, his season shut down when he was forced to undergo a kidney transplant Dec. 19. After 10 months of recovery time, Mourning returned to Nets training camp in October and earned a full-time starting role four games into the season.

He's missed the last three games with a series of minor ailments and didn't accompany the team on the road.

Mourning reportedly stands to make $5.4 million this season, $5.9 million next season and $6.4 million the following year.

Eric Williams, 32, posted averages of 12.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists in 35.2 minutes. A six-foot-eight swingman from Providence, Williams enjoyed a career-high in playing time after the Nets lost free agents Kerry Kittles and Kenyon Martin in the off-season.

He's in the first year of a reported four-year, $12-million deal.
Aaron Williams, 33, averaged two points and 1.6 rebounds in 7.9 minutes with New Jersey. A hard-nosed front-court reserve from Xavier, the six-foot-nine forward will reportedly make $6.65 million over the next two seasons.

The additions will mean a headache for broadcasters with three Williams on the squad, although Alvin Williams is out indefinitely with knee problems. Another Williams, Jerome, was traded away last December. For those keeping count, there are five other Williams in the league and a Williamson - Corliss, a former Raptor.

Bab**** and Mitchell had hoped, given time, Carter would buy into their plan for the team, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Carter has averaged a career-low 15.9 points a night through 20 games, and has looked disinterested at times, finding himself on the bench during crucial fourth quarters in a couple of games.

The 6-6, 220-pound swingman has had a roller-coaster relationship with Raptors fans in his six seasons in Toronto. He's been the top vote-getter for the NBA all-star game four times, including 2004, when he received 2,127,183 votes. But fans have grown increasingly frustrated with the enigmatic Carter, who missed 61 games with knee injuries during the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons, and has been inconsistent ever since.

Still he remains a marquee name and led the forwards in the East with 619,959 in early all-star voting this season.
Earlier this month, the NBA said Carter's No. 15 jersey ranked No. 17 in sales at the NBA official store in New York and on NBA.com.

For his career, Carter has averaged 23.4 points a game. He was the runaway choice for the NBA's Rookie of the Year in 1998-99."

I would have to say this deal is a good one for the re-building Raptors.
I love Vince but what can ya do?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rudy T gone and Phil to fill in?
Rudy T says babysitting these pansies here in LA is taking a toll on my health and unless i quit coaching these whiney bastards, i'll never going to be healthy again.
OK So he really didn't say that but he is gone.
Rumours are out that Phil Jackson will be back. Can' t see Phil coaching any team that didn't have a chance of winning an NBA title and without Shaq LA will not do it.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Think the Suns are a little ccoky right now?
Check out this statement from Quentin Richardson

"We left a lot of roadkill on this trip," Richardson said, reflecting on the nicknames of recent foes. "We killed some Bucks, some Wolves. We missed out on the bear, the Grizzly bear."

Added Stoudemire: "We got a Raptor. Took care of that."

Phoenix (37-11), meanwhile, moved within a half-game of San Antonio for the league's best record. The Suns, who averaged more than 122 points in their five victories on the trip, were still enjoying themselves in the locker room afterward.

Hope they can continue to roll along. Sooner or later they have to get tired and fall apart. Don't they?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big game tonight.
Mavericks vs. Suns.

Nash get's to stick it to his former team again at home this time.
17points and 18, yes, 18 assists in the November game between these two.

TNT doubleheader. This game will be right after the Minnesota vs. Cleveland game at 5:00.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone watch the All-Star weekend this weekend?
I heard Nash and Stoudamire's dunks were pretty good. Also heard it was one of the best Dunk contests in a long time.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda said:
Did anyone watch the All-Star weekend this weekend?
I heard Nash and Stoudamire's dunks were pretty good. Also heard it was one of the best Dunk contests in a long time.

Yes the Nash dunk/Stouamire dunk was sweet but the dunk contest two years ago with Vince Carter was still the best I've seen since Jordan/Wilkins.

They need to have Stouamire, Carter, Terry, Bryant, Prince, James see who is the best dunker...now that would be something to watch. :D

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
C-Webb booed in Philly

Chris Webber sat out long stretches of minutes, including the last 4:38 of the third quarter, and was booed when he was in the game.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- There was Chris Webber sitting on the bench, boos serenading Philadelphia's impact player and the 76ers trailing the woeful Golden State Warriors by double digits.

This was not what Webber and the Sixers expected two weeks ago when his acquisition was supposed to take Philadelphia from the fringe of the playoffs to Eastern Conference contender.

For the third straight game, Webber was basically a non-factor for the Sixers. The five-time all-star acquired in a stunning trade deadline deal again sat out long stretches of minutes, including the last 4:38 of the third quarter, and was booed when he was in the game.

He finished with eight points on 3-for-12 shooting in 30 minutes.

"This is Philadelphia, the toughest place in the world," said Allen Iverson, who scored 33 points with a franchise-record 12 turnovers. "I told him what to expect.

"I let him know they would expect him to be like the Chris Webber he was."

After averaging 36.3 minutes in 46 games for the Sacramento Kings, Webber reached 30 minutes for the first time in three games. Webber even met with coach Jim O'Brien on Monday to clear the air about his lack of playing time.

They may need another meeting.

Webber said before Tuesday's game that he was used to negativity and controversy surrounding him wherever he plays. He said he would like to make this situation work, but was tired already of answering questions about how well he'll fit in.

"I want to make the best of the rest of the time I have here," he said. "I'm still a great player.

"I'm not going to ever get used to playing 27 minutes a game. It's something we'll address after the season. Right now our goal is to make the playoffs.

"I thought I was to coming into a situation where I would be utilized as the player that I was."

Webber was out of the locker room before it opened and not available for post-game comments. O'Brien defended Webber and blamed the loss on fatigue and poor defence.

"I believe Chris is a very confident guy and will find his stride here real soon," O'Brien said.

"This was a very lethargic, poor effort," O'Brien said.

Webber failed to reach double-digit scoring for only the second time this year, and first since getting six points against San Antonio on Jan. 23.

Webber was booed a few times during the game -- only about a week and a half since he was introduced to thunderous applause during his home debut -- once after an errant bounce pass went out of bounds and again when he came back into the game about two minutes into the fourth quarter.

"Obviously, C-Webb sees what's going on and it can only get worse," Iverson said. "It's not his fault.

"It's all our fault. He'll just have to deal with it."

The Sixers -- wearing the red-and-orange uniforms of the old Syracuse Nationals -- could have used some vintage Webber to spare them the embarrassment of this loss. Golden State used a 19-7 run in the third to take control.

Love it! Overated, overpaid and soft. Has he ever won anything besides some cash and hookers from the Michigan Wolverines booster club?! :eek:undefined

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0