Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals Peg & SU Ladies @ 2011 Nationals

BC Teams @ Nationals

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor,
The CSA pays airfare for 18 players. That goes for all teams participating at the nationals. My concern is the lack of financial support for teams representing BC whether it be from the local leagues and/or BC Soccer. In comparison to other smaller provinces, British Columbia is falling far behind.

soccerking

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
First, I want to congratulate you Sandman for having a good run at the Nationals. To reply to your funding question, we need to keep in mind that this would have to be approved at the VMSL AGM, so as members we need to put a motion on the floor at the AGM next year to create a fund for a team travelling to Nationals. Also, as past chair of a youth district I recall that BC Soccer set aside some money for teams to go to Nationals. You should contact the president of BC Soccer about this.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccerking is correct on the steps to rectifying this. You know, BC has an interesting dynamic compared to the rest of Canada or anywhere else for that matter. Unless your OWN personal child will DIRECTLY benefit from the funding, people don't willingly want to subsidize other athletes. The vote at the AGM years ago presented an opportunity for a small but organized group to gather and vote against such a proposal for subsidization. You can't really blame BC SOCCER on this one. We are to blame for not organizing ourselves to thwart the stacked agendas of these ignorant types at AGM's. It's always the vocal minority that get what they want.

There is a budget that addresses putting money aside for teams traveling to Nationals but that is shared by the Provincial team coaches and their program content. If there is money left over that the provincial team does not use, then it gets allocated to the clubs, at least at the youth level.

My understanding is that there is enough money there to meet the needs, but the authority to use it as such, is not.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

But what really pisses me off is how we are afraid of putting ourselves in a position to state to some of the narrow-minded individuals that WE WILL SUBSIDIZE OUR ATHLETES!!

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, that was a very interesting 9 days in Montreal.

Actually, rather than interesting, the word I am looking for is probably devastating. Maybe crushing. How about sickening?

I have a lot of thoughts about the nationals and here are some of the main ones...

First and foremost, it is a huge understatement to say that I am extremely proud of the team…and I mean the entire team...

The supporters that travelled to Montreal with us were absolutely top-notch, giving the players the lift they needed and giving life and a very special spirit to the competition. The back and forth singing in the Que/BC quarterfinal game was unbelievable…the atmosphere was electric and the game was epic.

Our management was first class, starting about 5 months ago and culminating with a 9 day trip to Montreal with 30 people to look after. I can say with full confidence that no one was looked after better than our team (gear, physio, meals, flights, hotel, laundry, etc. etc. etc.) and for that I have to give immense props and thanks in particular to Paul Sandhu and Sandy Sumra but also many thanks to our sponsors and other club members working extremely hard behind the scenes. Absolutely first class support and they gave us every chance to be successful.

Our players left it all on the field. I could not ask for any more. And it wasn't just the starters but also the subs and all of the non roster players. Never before have I seen such a complete and total team effort and coming together for one common goal. That’s what makes the final outcome so bloody disappointing. I have said it several times already to those that ask…in our little world that is amateur men's senior soccer, it was like being one step from the top of Mount Everest but then suddenly being sent back abruptly to the base, having to start from scratch again…without a single sherpa in sight. This will take a long time to get over indeed.

The tournament itself was somewhat disorganized in terms of transportation, training, meetings and some other day to day operations. But having said that, our hotel location was ideal (right at a metro station), the closing ceremonies were very good, the fields were excellent, especially the turf, and the weather was stunning, almost too hot. Overall, I will give the LOC a C+ but I will give the city of Montreal an "A" in terms of being a desirable host for this event.

As for the final game, it seemed like we could not find our legs or rhythm. Playing 5 games in 6 days may have something to do with that but we also got no luck with the draw after the preliminary round. We won our group, including beating the ultimate champion Sask, but Sask definitely had a less difficult and less draining path to the final. We had an all out war vs Quebec on a very heavy grass pitch and then a very tight semi final game vs NFLD, who were not a bad side at all. Still, it felt like if we could have just gotten that one elusive goal in the final game that the legs would have suddenly reappeared…unfortunately the post and the Sask goalkeeper did not let that happen. You do need a little bit of luck on your side to win this thing and it just was not meant to be for us this time. Having said all that, you would also have to give credit to Sask for getting the gold. They are deserving champions and I congratulate them. Sask also had the MVP of the tournament, a great big lad that played hi in the midfield. He was very skilful player and a handful for anyone to mark...very entertaining to see him and Adam Costley faceoff. All things being equal, I give the edge to Adam.

Some other notes:

Absolutely shocking how the final games were played at 8:30AM (womens) and 10:30AM (mens). This is after a 1pm semi final game the previous day for the women and a 3pm semifinal game the previous day for the men. You win the provincials, invest all this time and money into getting to nationals, progress through 4 games in 5 days just to get to the final, and then they rush to get the final game in so everyone can catch an early flight home on the same day???? Doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I am not taking anything away from Sask but is it reasonable to play a national semi final one day at 3pm and then play the national final the next day at 10:30am? I guess it would be reasonable if we had won the final. Perhaps one Sask player summed it up best, "the nationals is a battle of attrition."

The Canadian Soccer Association was on full display at this tournament and, in my opinion, illustrated exactly what they are…a collection of very old cronies who are more concerned with protocol, politics, and personal agendas than with the development of soccer in Canada. There were many CSA blazers dusted off so that several dinosaurs could stroke their own egos for a week, while at the same time using the not for profit association expense account as a ruse for “soccer development”. The association is still in desperate need of some young blood and a new vision…they are in desperate need of something that gives hope to soccer players in this country, especially the younger players. I couldn't help but think back to that brilliant quote by Andrea Neil, "we need a new group of younger, like-minded people to change the CSA." That was quite some time ago when she said that and it still rings true today. Nothing has really changed.

The financial support received by the teams from other provinces is staggering. Most if not all received funding for nationals from their provincial association and/or their local league. The Alberta team did not have to pay a nickel from their own pocket for their trip (they also got a grant from the city of Edmonton). As Sandy pointed out, Sask received funding for the trip from both their league and their association. The Surrey United women received $100 per player from the Metro Vancouver Women's League. These sort of revelations went on and on as we spoke to each team and it sent one of the most powerful messages to me from the trip: BC doesn't have it right. In my opinion, there should be a $2500 fund from the vmsl, visl and fvsl each year set aside for the team that wins provincials. I know the leagues have the money and $7500 could go a long way to helping with travel costs for the BC representative. Clearly the BCSA should be helping out as well. This is a no brainer and it was frustrating to learn the realities of the other teams, many of which chuckled at our situation.

The gap is apparently closing on some of the so-called powerhouse provinces. Sask was a very decent team, as were NFLD, PEI, and Manitoba, the latter who did not even progress past the preliminary round. But hopefully BC made a statement in Montreal that we are still cream of the crop in this country. The Surrey United women were the class of the women's side and I congratulate them on their well deserved victory. On the men's side we did very well and, although we fell just short, I believe we were the team that most fancied to win the competition.

That's pretty much it for now. Ultimately, this will serve as one of the toughest lessons I have ever learned in this game...all that is left to do now is to try and regroup and try like hell to get back and take another run at the damn thing. I know this is precisely what our team is thinking and I know more than anything that the experience has made us a much stronger and closer team.

Winnipeg 2012 anyone?

:cool:

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor,
The CSA pays airfare for 18 players. That goes for all teams participating at the nationals. My concern is the lack of financial support for teams representing BC whether it be from the local leagues and/or BC Soccer. In comparison to other smaller provinces, British Columbia is falling far behind.

I think it was about 4 years ago but BCSA hiked the registration fee's for players to help pay for the nationals, i am glad you have bought this to our attention so we as league management can go and fight for it.

Capitano

Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
When we (Columbus) went to the Nationals in Halifax in 2007, we were told that CSA gave us $5000. Then BC soccer gave $0 but tried to take credit for the $5000 that CSA gave us. How's that for representing your Province. Thanks for helping your teams BCSA! Well done reedie and well done Peg. One heck of a run. You should hold your head up high and be proud of the great year you had. Well done SU.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bastard Valley haters.

:D

Reedie...the day you decide to run for the President's position at BCSA you will have a long line-up of members in tow to support you.

Congrats on a great run.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe the Southsiders could purchase a Valley squad and will them on to victory.

He fell ova he fell ova he fell ova

You fat bastard..........

BTW, who on the SSiders was blowing the staff at Team 1040 recently to get the great press on the morning show?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to Reedie, Sandman and all the members of ICST Pegasus for a great showing at Nationals. In my 10 years refereeing Premier in the VMSL, definitely one of the finest ever teams I had the pleasure to officiate. A class group & organization.

Cheers, Walks

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He fell ova he fell ova he fell ova

You fat bastard..........

Someone must be in dept Rainforest Rintoul

BTW, who on the SSiders was blowing the staff at Team 1040 recently to get the great press on the morning show?

Someone must have had a favour coming from Rainforest FC's Rintoul...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0