Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pet Peeves on the Pitch

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Calling for the ball and then forgetting to go and get it.

You know who you are bastard.

Making me look worse than i really am.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
If you were involved walls chaces are there was all ready enough shite on the pitch that you needn't worry about the dogs...

players that trip over their own two feet while leading their team to defeat in the championship finals,and get a picture of it happening and their name in the province 'cause their flaming red pelt :knvb: :knvb: is distracting the cameraman's eye from an actual highlight or a trophy hoisting!!!
who'd you blow for that scrapbook momento??

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lacing up your boots half way up your leg. WTF?
Forwards that rant about how the defence "gave up" on a goal... while said forward is still in the opposition's 18.
Teams that don't stick around for a beer after the game. Weak sauce.
Coloured boots. OK for forwards. Moderately tolerable for mids. Unacceptable for defence. Worthy of a hanging for goalkeepers.
Goalies with yellow shirts, green gloves, a blue hat, purple shorts, and red socks.
Guys who actually suck on the water bottle. Especially the guys who will fcuk ANYTHING. That's why I have my own. Bottle, that is.
Players who talk amongst themselves during half time, rather than listening to the coach/captain/goalie that knows his shite.
Goalies who drop kick their punts. What's the point?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
- Guys who do their hair for matches. This blows my mind. A tradition born out of the now defunct Italian League, where two-thirds of the pregame warmup is dedicated to matching the right jesus piece with your earring.

- The "looks at boots with disgust" guy also ranks fairly high on my pet peeve list. "Normally, I sling those 40-yard balls with precision - not into the middle of an ultimate frisbee game. These boots are terrible."

- This guy is a distant relative of the "wince in pain while grabbing hamstring" guy, who's boots are fine but blames his inaccuracy on a misdiagnosed muscle strain that, regardless of how much rest he gets, will never, ever heal.

- The "swears in a foreign language" guy. Everybody knows you're dropping ethnic f-bombs anyways - just keep it real and say "Fcuk" like the rest of us. Like yelling "jebati" at the top of your lungs is in any way unique.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:

The drop kick is used because it goes on more of a line to say for instance send a really fast forward on a run. It also goes farther if you can do it properly. usually forwards prefer a ball coming with pace on a lower line instead of a ball kicked a mile in the sky while you wait for it to come down you now are trying to hold of 2 defenders. i don't understand why goalies punt the ball(unless they have too) period we have possesion why are you making it a 50/50 ball. keepers I will never understand you.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
bulljive said:
i don't understand why goalies punt the ball(unless they have too) period we have possesion why are you making it a 50/50 ball. keepers I will never understand you.
the majority of the time, once the keeper gets the ball, everyone turns their backs and starts jogging up field, so the only option you have is to launch it up the field.

i agree that if the drop-kick is hit well, it is great, especially with most of the fields (in the valley at least) being turf, the bounce is always the same, but on grass its a different story, that little fcuking ball could go anywhere and that's when people start shanking it, the confidence goes down, and it's back to the good ol punt

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
bulljive said:
The drop kick is used because it goes on more of a line to say for instance send a really fast forward on a run. It also goes farther if you can do it properly. usually forwards prefer a ball coming with pace on a lower line instead of a ball kicked a mile in the sky while you wait for it to come down you now are trying to hold of 2 defenders. i don't understand why goalies punt the ball(unless they have too) period we have possesion why are you making it a 50/50 ball. keepers .

You must play with Wade. :rolleyes:

I can punt a ball farther than i can drop kick it. I have much more accuracy with a punt, and you forwards are dreaming if they expect a 50 yard drop kick to land at their feet. Depending on you play with and where you punt the ball it is not 50/50. I would say with one of our forwards/midfielders it's more like 65/35 his ball. Mind you, we don't punt the ball very much, it normally goes to a defender to start the ball up the field.

I will never understand the forward who screams keeper's ball when he is 35 yards away at half and wanting you to go 10 yards in .9 seconds on a cross that out past the penalty spot. Really, most goalies don't have Ben Johnson on Steriods speed.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So long as you stick to teaching premier keepers how to kick a ball, and former international caliber players how to buy boots.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:

the point for a goalie to drop kick his punts, is that it is much easier for a striker to handle a line drive style kick than a ball that is coming down from five miles in the air. the ball also gets there quicker and catches defences off guard. if you watch a professional keepers kicking style you'll notice that they contact the ball off the side of their body around hip level to keep the ball lower. most keepers you play against around here can't do that so they drop kick it.

another pet peeve of mine, in a rebutle to your statement would be keepers that kick a ball so high that it has snow on it by the time it comes back down, enableing defenders to gain position, then scream at their own guys for not doing anything with the ball.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlazeArmy said:
I can punt a ball farther than i can drop kick it. I have much more accuracy with a punt, and you forwards are dreaming if they expect a 50 yard drop kick to land at their feet. Depending on you play with and where you punt the ball it is not 50/50. I would say with one of our forwards/midfielders it's more like 65/35 his ball.

you should work on your drop kicks or your throwing arm then.......much easier to handle.
and 65/35 :rolleyes: , just like a keeper to think that ;) . how easy do you think it is to bring a ball down with your chest, trap a ball with your feet, or flick a ball on that is coming straight down at mach 5??????? a much easier ball for a defender to win.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a striker I much prefer when the keeper uses the shin-toe method. The top spin produced by the ski jump effect tickles when it bounces off my noggin. It's a slightly less accurate kick and messes my hair up something terrible not to mention it's awfully hard on the knee when not preformed properly and though it's not as good on wet gravel pitches because dirt may get in someone eye I still feel it's worth the tickle... Jesus, I'm glad to see walls and Bulljive continue to impress as the undisputed kings of putzville. Well done chaps, care to explain to all us why it's best for a keeper to take his own goal kicks or perhaps something a little more obvious to soccer players, like maybe why a keeper wears gloves? I'm one the edge of my seat here...

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
obvious to soccer players, like maybe why a keeper wears gloves? I'm one the edge of my seat here...

if it was so obviouse then why the fcuk would two keepers(one who's apparently premier) need to question it. you probably wear knitted mittens attatched by a strand of yarn on the pitch that you weave through the inside of your jersey sleeves so that when your called on for a throw in they can dangle freely without getting mucked up!!! and don't even get me started on who knitted them for you ;) .

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok Walls, humor us. We've read the side of one Premier Keeper's story, how is it done in div. 2, where all the hidden gems play?

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
normaly we'll play a short ball to an outside back or mid and move the ball up strategically, rather than punting the ball off the fcukin star of bethleham and praying that jesus christ will turn water into wine so to speak, and have the ball find our feet rather than wasting a posession. not saying many can do it(especially consistantly), but i much prefer a punt/drop kick/throw/pass coming at me with a lower trajectory to handle instead of a rainbow shot major league fly ball.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Bulljive does have a point regarding the drop kicks. One time at bandcamp, when I played on the north shore, Bonefish often ended up in goal. Well, the guy was a punter (among other things) for a Div. 1 NCAA university. Imagine how fcuking high his punts went. Then imagine playing either on the backline of the opposing team or up front for his team on a cold, wet winter day and trying to put a head on one of those. Ah, no thanks, I can do without a headache for the rest of the week.

Actually, the best way for a goalkeeper to deliver the ball to the forwards is to teleport it right onto one of their feet. Or better yet, onto one of their right feet. Unless its the Captain, as he is left-footed. Or Dude as he is no-footed.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really? So what you're saying is that a possession game will work better for us than the kick and run? And that works in div. 2? Well, if it works in div 2, I'm sure it will work in Premier (or 1st, or Cat, or the Abby Rec League, or Canlan Ice Centre, or wherever I end up next year. Note to self: remember this crazy new world strategy).

LFC2, as coach, you need to make it your priority to implement this in Langley next year. That old kick it hard / kick it far thing didn't seem to be doing the job the last couple of seasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0