Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pick Team Canada for the Upcoming 2004 World Cup

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You get to be Wayne Gretzky for the Day. Pick the 22 players(plus 2 reserves) you would like to see represent our country in th upcoming World Cup of Hockey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
TA's Team

Goalie Martin Brodeur , Jose Theodore, Curtis Joseph

Defence Rob Blake, Wade Redden, Eric Brewer, Scott Niedermeyer, Ed Jovonovski, Adam Foote , Barret Jackman (if healthy)

Forwards Todd Bertuzzi, Paul Kariya, Joe Sakic, Joe Thronton, Jerome Iginla, Dany Heatley , Alex Tanguay, Shane Doan, Vinny Lecalvier, Kris Draper, Martin St.Louis , & Mario Lemieux (if healthy)

Reserves Derek Morris, Owen Nolan

Coaches Marc Crawford, Jaques Martin

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's early but here ya go...

GK:
Brodeur, Belfour, Lalime
Def:
Blake, Jovo, Pronger, Neidermayer, McCabe, Redden, Foote
Res: Brewer (has been shite this year, but had a good Olympics & World Championships thus valuable International experience for a youngster... Morris if any injuries are a problem???
Fwd:
Sakic, Bertuzzi, Thorton, Nolan, Iginla, Smyth, Tanguay, Lacavalier, Morrison, Kariya, Lemieux, Peca
Res: Doan, Spezza & Nash. (Heatly is not even close yet to return for the remainder of the season)

Outside shots:
Cloutier & Theo (I think they are both good young GK's with a future)
Phillips has been solid on a great team & Aucoin has logged more minutes than any other D-man in the last 3 seasons out in Long Island...
Gagne (blazing speed & skill to burn)
Daze (if he ever gets fit again)
Marleau (showing signs of elite status)
Morrow (the next peca type ???)

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: It's early but here ya go...

Guinness said:
GK:
Brodeur, Belfour, Lalime
Def:
Blake, Jovo, Pronger, Neidermayer, McCabe, Redden, Foote
Res: Brewer (has been shite this year, but had a good Olympics & World Championships thus valuable International experience for a youngster... Morris if any injuries are a problem???
Fwd:
Sakic, Bertuzzi, Thorton, Nolan, Iginla, Smyth, Tanguay, Lacavalier, Morrison, Kariya, Lemieux, Peca
Res: Doan, Spezza & Nash. (Heatly is not even close yet to return for the remainder of the season)

Outside shots:
Cloutier & Theo (I think they are both good young GK's with a future)
Phillips has been solid on a great team & Aucoin has logged more minutes than any other D-man in the last 3 seasons out in Long Island...
Gagne (blazing speed & skill to burn)
Daze (if he ever gets fit again)
Marleau (showing signs of elite status)
Morrow (the next peca type ???)

Too many stinking leaf's......

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness, Heatley has penciled his return for either the game before or the game after the all-star break. Better bet has him playing in his hometown of calgary the first game back. That gives him 6 months to be ready for the World Cup. But I'd rather go with your pick of Brendan Morrison :rolleyes:

TA

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Appy,

Notice the lack of Habs on my list??? Hosay with a very outside shot...
Morrison is excellent in the face off circle, kills penalties, balances the "Big Two" and is responsible in his own end...
Too many Leafs is right, but Nolan is a Belfast boy and plays with an edge the Canadian team need... Belfour is a classic sliver collector in big tourney's and is a good flag waver for Brodeur to take us to victory... McCabe is developing into a much better defenceman than he's given credit for (Outwest, we all know the Eastern twats think he's the cat's ass)... :rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Morrison is excellent in the face off circle, kills penalties, balances the "Big Two" and is responsible in his own end...
but he wouldn't be between the 'big two' would he? Unless of course he's giving your missus a hug.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Goalie Martin Brodeur , Jose Theodore, Ed Belfour (if healthy)

Defence Rob Blake, Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Scott Niedermeyer, Ed Jovonovski, Adam Foote , Barret Jackman (if healthy)

Forwards Bertuzzi, Kariya, Sakic, Joe Thronton, Iginla, Heatley (if healthy), Tanguay, Doan, Lecalvier, Pecca, Nash, & Mario Lemieux (if healthy)

Reserves Patrick Marleau, Scott Stevens

Coaches: Pat Quinn, Ken Hitchcokc, Mark Messier (but deffinitely not Tony Granato, because he's a Yank).

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Morrison is not even close to the level needed to play in the World Cup. I understand you've put him in cause ur a diehard nucks' fan and there is nothing wrong with that....but, if you actually think he deserves to be on Team Canada then you need to go and take your medicine. He is an average player at best. Playing with two of the best players in the NHL night in and night out will get you points. He might get an invitation to Camp, to watch the real superstars and get some autographs.

Team Canada will have to go with atleast one young goalie in the pipes. My bet is it is Theodore. You can't expect Gretzky not to take one young guy b/c pretty soon come 2006, Brodeur & Belfour might not be playing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the GK scenario: if Ottawa is able to win the cup this year, I think Lalime would be a better choice than Theodore. I suppose same goes w/ Cloutier...I just don't see it though. I hope I'm wrong.

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Goalie Martin Brodeur , Jose Theodore, Ed Belfour (if healthy)

Defence Rob Blake, Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Scott Niedermeyer, Ed Jovonovski, Adam Foote , Barret Jackman (if healthy)

Forwards Bertuzzi, Kariya, Sakic, Joe Thronton, Iginla, Heatley (if healthy), Tanguay, Doan, Lecalvier, Pecca, Nash, & Mario Lemieux (if healthy)

Reserves Patrick Marleau, Scott Stevens

Coaches: Pat Quinn, Ken Hitchcokc, Tony Granato.

Peca is fcking horriable, Morrison is a better pick then Peca or even one eyed nolan, McInnis will probabley make it to before jackman but other then that good picks!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, pretty tough to pick a bad team Canada. I don't rate Morrison over Pecca until Morrison wins a Cup. I just think that the team has enough skill, flash, and speed, so adding Pecca- who is a great skater for open ice- will provide some of the nastiness and dirt under the fingernails Morrison lacks.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My ghost writter picked Granato. I'll go whack him accross the head. Dumb fcuk.

How about Ron Wilson? Kidding.

Zenga! Time to lay off the speed! Try some soothing tea or something!

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
GK:
Brodeur, Belfour, Lalime
D:
Blake, Brewer, Niedermeyer, Jovonovski, Foote, Pronger
Reserves: Morris, Stevens
F:
Bertuzzi, Kariya, Sakic, Thornton, Iginla, Smyth, Shanahan, Nolan, Yzerman, Peca, Draper, Lindros, Lemieux, (if healthy)
Reserves: Heatley, Tanguay
Coaches Marc Crawford, Jacques Martin, Ken Hitch****

I've choosen 2 reserves for the D and the F's, reasoning behind that is because you've got to figure guys like Yzerman, Lemieux, Lindros might not get a sniff this time around, whether they're healthy or not. If this is the case, the younger guns might get choosen, the likes of Heatley, Tanguay, St. Louis and so on. On the other hand the older boys might be picked just because of the Gold Medal they helped win. :D

Tee

Jul 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't forget Sopel. He is emerging as a solid player and might just bump out a so-called top D-Man. Plus, if McCabe made it as well, Sopel and he could have a showdown for the best hair.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sopel? That's a wind up if I've ever read one.

On the assistants coaches: I placed Messier in there after my Granato gaffe :eek:. The original reason why I had mentioned Granato was because I think a former, high-level offensive player would sit well in that position. Unfortunately, I completely forgot he was a yank.

Although Mess has zero coaching experience, he has a ton of Canada Cup and international experience. I think his presence as a coach, in a short-term tourney like this, could really add a positive dimension to the team.

That said, a more realistic choice will be another head coach: does anyone know anything about John Torterella (SP?) of Tampa Bay? I keep hearing about how great a coach this guy is, and he emphasizes offensive play w/ that young team he's got. Also, considering Lecavlier may well be added to the mix...

So, is Torterella Canadian?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0