Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Politically Incorrect

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alright...there are many topics out there that some of us have an opinion on, but are too scared to open their mouths because of the (very) negative response they might get.

Today's topic:

Tsunami relief. Are we overdoing it? If the government has money to match whatever the public raises, then how come they say they have no money for many of Canada's needs? Like hospitals. And senior citizens. And the homeless. Or a 20,000 seat stadium on the PNE grounds?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although the "relief" most governments are providing is well intended, many governments are providing the money to ensure that a demand remains for products that they export to the countries hit by the Tsunami. They need to ensure that these stricken countries have a viable economy so that demand for exports remains high. Canada has a reserve set up each budget for crisis such as these. Not helping these countries would prove to me much more costly for everyone in the long run. This is why Australia has provided so much money,due to proximity, etc. It should be noted that alot of the funding being provided is in the form of loans, and thus some will have to be paid back.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It should be noted that alot of the funding being provided is in the form of loans, and thus some will have to be paid back.
Capitalism at it's finest :rolleyes:

I heard a rant on the radio the other day about TV reporters going over there and doing live reports that there is no more food... the ranter was questioning why the hell the reporter didn't take anything with him to help the cause.

Since all media is really controlled by the governments, I suppose it makes sense not to bring over free food - you need to "loan" it.

:D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am all for helping out those poor people that are part of our very large Global Village, but I want to know who is controlling the money that we give. Here is a very interesting article about the American Red Cross, not sure if the same goes for the Canadian Red Cross, BUT.

I am aware that they no longer control Blood in Canada, it is now Blood Services, WHY. From what I have read, it is because they were not willing to spend the money to do the proper testing on our blood.

Well read this article:

http://www.tetrahedron.org/articles/apocalypse/red_double_cross.html

hos

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think basically we should send over water, wheat/basic staples, and medical supplies. At the same time, you would be helping Canadian grain farmers and companies who manufacture these goods. For the rebuilding process, then the government should buy our lumber and copper and whatever else they need, or send over Candaian workers, so that, again, there are spinoffs to the Canadian economy. Once you give $$$, you have to wonder whose hands it gets into and how much skimming takes place. Luckily, the Red Cross is a reputable organization.

Also, I agree it's important that you get economies going in places like Thailand (so people can make a living and survive)...but what exactly do we export to Thailand other than our vactioning tourists' dollars which would be better spent in Canada?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now, I don't know the exact details, but I will make the assumption that all the destroyed bulidings, homes, offices etc will need to be rebuilt, which should cause demand for lumber to increase significantly. That is just one example. As Canada is one of the dominant players in the lumber scence we should stand to benefit.

It's funny how countries are sending all this "aid" which can be tracked and recorded (in some cases for payback) yet when it reaches it's destination, there are nor trucks or vehicles to take it. Now, I am just thinking out loud here, but could it be becuase donating miltary vehicles and transportation to move the much needed supplies are items that have no real money value, and thus will never be repaid? Surely many of the "rich" countries around the world could easily fly in military planes loaded with trucks to move the items.

As for some of these "agencies" that are distributing the funds, many of them are so bogged down in administration costs and red tape that who knows where the donations end up.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hands of Stone said:
I am aware that they no longer control Blood in Canada, it is now Blood Services, WHY. From what I have read, it is because they were not willing to spend the money to do the proper testing on our blood.

HOS:

They changed their name due to legal liability on being sued for not doing the testing.
Don't know if they knew about the testing to be done and were skint, or, simply had no fcuking clue as to what was going on at the time.
The old negligence arguement.
Kind of like construction companies who build faulty buildings and such.
Incorporate a new name, company, etc. thereafter to not be sued and carry on.

I like the idea of a 20,000 seat stadium.

Charity begins at home, ;)

RF

Frevo

Oct 5, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I had no place to sleep... No way to cook food or boil water... no means of transportation or military or policing to protect me... What good would it be to give me two days worth of water and a pound of rice?

Giving them water until they rebuild on their own would be a waste.

Providing water and food while we help restore their own supply and build shelters and dispose of the dead so that they aren't faced with another plague... Now theirs a better use of our monies.

Of course we don't have enough people to go and actually DO this beacuse our military is next to non existant. That's an entire other issue.

No amount of money is going to rebuild these countries or clean their streets and put food in their mouths. Eventually people are going to have to GO there and work at restoring what was lost. Otherwise they will have a pocket full of borrowed cash (which buys exactly how much of nothing?) and streets littered with disease and homeless people for the next ten years.

It comes down to how many people are willing to pick up a hammer and help.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cryuff...a few weeks back in the "Bertuzzi's Plea" thread you noted that

Cryuff said:
Idealists are always trying to make things fair. The world doesn't work on logic and gold stars.

Yet, your answer to tsunami relief is

Cryuff said:
It comes down to how many people are willing to pick up a hammer and help.

Good point. I'll get my hammer. ;)

The moment the devastation was described, there were already lines of multi-nationals chomping at the bit for the contracts to rebuild. Iraq was/is no different.

We're talking about third world nations here. Get them food and water and medicine. Otherwise, who knows where our tax dollars or private donations will be spent.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
If the government has money to match whatever the public raises, then how come they say they have no money for many of Canada's needs?
Lucky for us Michael Schumacher isn't Canadian.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This could easily turn into a big bitch session, but here's my take: we pay "charity" to support our fellow countryman in need every time we go to the till or earn a dollar. It's called "taxes", and we pay a hell of a lot of it.

The homeless situation here doesn't even register on the 3rd world scene, especially the disaster in East Asia. This is a naturtal disaster of massive proportions...as one of the rich nations in the world, we have an ethical duty to help those in need. Therefore, quit your moaning. If you have a problem, buck up and donate to the local food bank or Care. Besides, what does $100m get you anymore? One Fast Ferry?

Gurps also brings of several valid economic points supporting the need to financially contribute as a nation.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial said:
I think basically we should send over water,
You want Politically Incorrect? I should think they have enough water of their own already. Being greedy got them into the mess they're in now, dinnit?

I heard on a US radio station this is the largest disaster next to 911. Now that is politically incorrect.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard on a US radio station this is the largest disaster next to 911. Now that is politically incorrect.
How so? Ever seen him play? He's easily the bigger disaster not waiting to happen :D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
just a small point

Gurps said:
Now, I don't know the exact details, but I will make the assumption that all the destroyed bulidings, homes, offices etc will need to be rebuilt, which should cause demand for lumber to increase significantly. That is just one example. As Canada is one of the dominant players in the lumber scence we should stand to benefit.

Gurps, I have to argue your point, b/c it is a major assumption on your part. If you've ever been over there you would know that Canadian lumber is not used to build much of anything (in that particular area). And for the record 'alot' is two words.

K-nobby, it is a disgrace that someone (mostlikely on a CuNNt News Broadcast made the comparison to 9-1-1 :rolleyes:

I also can't believe that D.A.R.T. just left yesterday but all of the supplies won't arrive until Tuesday :rolleyes:

+SC

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: just a small point

SC said:
Gurps, I have to argue your point, b/c it is a major assumption on your part. If you've ever been over there you would know that Canadian lumber is not used to build much of anything (in that particular area). And for the record 'alot' is two words.

I was only using lumber as an example. I don't know everything Canada exports, all I am saying is that a healthy pacific rim economy is vital to the Canadian economy. That is the point I am arguing.

Thanks for the spell check, I will be sure to review all your further posts to ensure correct spelling. :rolleyes:

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that we already do enough for the under privelaged in our own back yard. In only a few months we could possible embark on a Federally funded project to feed as much herion as possible, to a group of lucky junkies to help us determine the best ways to treat them and get them off the sh!t. I wonder if they will use the safe injection sites, or will they rent a few rooms at the Cobalt.

The other financial relief offered to all the countries involved that has seen little mention, is the freeze on the payment these countries collectively owe the G7. $272bn. No payment for one year, and no interest. Add that number to the financial aid package.

suckit

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
fact:

Santa didn't have time to stop off at Sri Lanka, so he just gave them a wave. :mad:

imjuststickingtothetopic....politicallyincorrect

suckit

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bad jokes.
i went straight to world vision and donated 40 bucks using the link from ttp.
if you laughed at the above jokes, you'll go to hell unless you donate money right now.
don't forget...the canadian mob will match you dollar for dollar for any donation before jan 11/05. hurry up. or you'll die real soon and go to hell.:)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0