Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premiership 2010 / 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

klons

Feb 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gary Neville retires from Manchester United | Mail Online
Manchester United stalwart Gary Neville announces shock retirement with immediate effect

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 7:14 PM on 2nd February 2011

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

Gary Neville has announced his retirement from the game with immediate effect.

The full-back was due to quit the game at the end of the season but has surprisingly decided to bring forward the decision.

The move will come as a shock to United who included the 35-year-old in their 25-man squad for the Premier League.
Bleeds Red: Gary Neville (centre left) was one of Manchester United's most passionate and committed players of recent times

Bleeds Red: Gary Neville (centre left) was one of Manchester United's most passionate and committed players of recent times

The veteran Manchester United full-back has not played since the New Year's Day victory over West Brom at the Hawthorns, when he was fortunate not to be dismissed for a professional foul on Graham Dorrans. It was his 602nd appearance for the Red Devils. He also won 85 England caps.

'I have been a Manchester United fan all my life and fulfilled every dream I've ever had,' he said. 'Obviously I am disappointed that my playing days are at an end, however it comes to us all, and it's knowing when that time is and for me that time is now.

'I have played in the most incredible football teams, playing with some of the best players in the world as well as against them and I have been lucky to be a part of the team's achievements and the club's great success.
Last action: Neville was fortunate not to be dismissed at West Brom on New Year's Day

Last action: Neville was fortunate not to be dismissed at West Brom on New Year's Day

'There are so many people I want to thank and of course top of that list is Sir Alex Ferguson.

'He has given me so many opportunities and countless support over the last 20 years, he is truly one of the greatest managers and I have to thank him for that.

'There have also been so many great players that I have had the privilege to train and play along side. The experiences we've shared will be with me for the rest of my life.

'Also all the coaches I have played under from youth level right through to now, who have guided me through my playing days. And finally, the fans, who have always shown me unbelievable support, they know how special they are to me and this club.
Decorated: Neville (right) won eight Premier League titles with United

Decorated: Neville (right) won eight Premier League titles with United

'I am looking forward to new experiences and the club will always be a part of my life going forward however the most important thing now is for the club to continue with the success that is synonymous with Manchester United and I will be supporting them all the way, as a fan.'

It will be interesting to see what direction Neville's life now takes. He has long been touted as a potential coach at United and was mentioned as a possible successor to reserve team boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who has returned to Norway to take charge at Molde.

However, in the aftermath of Andy Gray's abrupt departure from Sky, the 35-year-old has also been linked with the main pundit's job, even though his obvious allegiance to United would appear to present a problem to supporters of Liverpool and Manchester City in particular.
Outstanding: Neville was the best English right back of his generation and won 85 international caps

Outstanding: Neville was the best English right back of his generation and won 85 international caps

'Gary was the best English right-back of his generation,' said Ferguson. 'He is an example to any young professional; hard-working, loyal and intelligent. As a United fan born and bred, his fantastic career at Old Trafford has cemented his place in the affection of the club's supporters everywhere.

'His impact on the club in general has been huge; his presence in the dressing room and leadership qualities have been an asset to me as a manager.

'All the young players who have sought his advice on many matters, particularly on contract issues owe him a great debt.

'As a young boy he had the will and determination to succeed as a footballer and that character remained with him throughout his career which is the legacy he leaves every young player at Manchester United.'
Brothers in arms: Gary broke into the first team shortly before his brother Phil (left), and the pair won the 1999 European Cup together

Brothers in arms: Gary broke into the first team shortly before his brother Phil (left), and the pair won the 1999 European Cup together

Neville becomes the second member of United's famed 'Class of 92' to call it a day following Nicky Butt's retirement from the game last season, though the latter made a surprise return to action with South China late last year.

The oldest member, Ryan Giggs, is still going strong and recently confirmed he had agreed another one-year contract extension. But Neville's career has been blighted by injury over the last few years and it was obvious at the West Brom game, or the visit to Stoke in October when the full-back was equally fortunate to escape a red card, that his time at the top level was almost over.

'Gary has been a great servant to the club and we thank him for his loyalty and his contribution to the tremendous success we have enjoyed in his playing time here,' said chief executive David Gill.

'I know from my many dealings with him over the years he always had the club's best interests at heart.

'So whilst this illustrious chapter in his career has finished, his experience, commitment and energy will ensure he will continue to play a part in the life of the club, whether on the coaching or the commercial side.'

Read more: Gary Neville retires from Manchester United | Mail Online

Chelsea4life

Jan 27, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
*sigh* If only the beautiful game weren't so sullied
I would never say it is sullied... There is still a lot of magic on that pitch, just ignore the shite that goes on outside. Who gives a shat if Torres is making 50million pounds, if they got the money (which Chelsea does) then use it. The only thing I dont like is having to watch superstars such as Adebayor, Deco, Essien, Zhirkov, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnny more all sit on the bench because they are just a drop in the bucket. These are guys that are quite something to watch and their talents should not be sitting on a chair warming it up for Drogba when he is ready to come off. The teams are amazing, and so are the players, but somewhere they need to set a cap, otherwise many older talents that are still superb are just going to spend there great years sitting on a bench! Hell I say come play MLS!

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would never say it is sullied... There is still a lot of magic on that pitch, just ignore the shite that goes on outside. Who gives a shat if Torres is making 50million pounds, if they got the money (which Chelsea does) then use it. The only thing I dont like is having to watch superstars such as Adebayor, Deco, Essien, Zhirkov, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnny more all sit on the bench because they are just a drop in the bucket. These are guys that are quite something to watch and their talents should not be sitting on a chair warming it up for Drogba when he is ready to come off. The teams are amazing, and so are the players, but somewhere they need to set a cap, otherwise many older talents that are still superb are just going to spend there great years sitting on a bench! Hell I say come play MLS!

Well said, Robbie Keane sitting at Tottenham, would look great as a Whitecap! Teams like Chelsea and Man Shictky are spending so much money to have all these players, and are taking huge loses. Chelsea won the league and still lost 113 million. These owners though could care less about their losses because they have so much money, that buying a championship is all they want. Half of chelsea and man citys bench could break into the starting line up on most premier squads. Man City was even quoted as saying, they won't stop spending until they win. Glad you have faith in what you got. Glory Glory Man United.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have been a fan of Suarez for a long time, but I am afraid I cannot be rooting for him on Sunday...I assume he is eligible for Europa League?

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Chelsea - Chelsea - Wenger Bitches (Again)!

funny stuff

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's just someone Trying to stir the pot. "I know what side I'd rather be on"? It wasn't that long ago that chelsea were laughable. Not to mention if FIFA put a salary cap, I'd much rather be a united or arsenal fan at that point. ****ing chelski

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's just someone Trying to stir the pot. "I know what side I'd rather be on"? It wasn't that long ago that chelsea were laughable. Not to mention if FIFA put a salary cap, I'd much rather be a united or arsenal fan at that point. ****ing chelski

Agreed.

on a side note and a bit off topic, Whats every one doing for streaming sites to watch games? atdhe and channel surfing . net were shutdown the other day.. good to see the Dept. of homeland security took care of this before they bothered closing off the border to mexico and made flying safe for everybody .:rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed.

on a side note and a bit off topic, Whats every one doing for streaming sites to watch games? atdhe and channel surfing . net were shutdown the other day.. good to see the Dept. of homeland security took care of this before they bothered closing off the border to mexico and made flying safe for everybody .:rolleyes:
There is another thread on TTP discussing this, find it and ask there.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
At least he isn't trashing Liverpool unlike some other Cnut who left arsenal for Chelsea a few years back

Be interesting to see if he scores and celebrates on the weekend tho.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
At least he isn't trashing Liverpool unlike some other Cnut who left arsenal for Chelsea a few years back

Be interesting to see if he scores and celebrates on the weekend tho.

If torres scores, most likely, I'm almost 100% he wouldn't celebrate the goal. Why would he, Liverpool brought him to the EPL where he made himself even bigger, helped the reds win some games singlehandedly. Great striker, can't wait to see him up front with drogba, what a strike force !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0