Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Men's Open 2008 - Predictions, Results & Banter

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Turf games in April

Whistle blower, the Island got the semi's months ago, so booking Royal Athletic was already sorted. Hampton is another story! :rolleyes:
posted by: kjb
The choice of fields is a decision by the local league, in this case VISL.
I knew as soon as Gorge got through, they would move these games to their home turf (Hampton). The schedule had these slated for Royal Athletic (grass). The funny thing is, the turf may actually help UBC more with their fitness and pace.
Sporting however, truely get a HUGE advantage over PAU with the turf, thus making it impossible for the Valley muckers to compete with them.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
And You Wonder Why Bc Has Not Done Very Well At Nationals Lol!

Maybe it has to do with the coaching, all the great soccer minds seem to be in Alberta.

The fitness could be a factor also, while we were all out walking pets or the kids on the weekend, you guys were getting full on cardio, shovelling sidewalks.

The Vike

Nov 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although Hampton is Gorge' home field it is the best facility to play at. There would have been several complaints from everyone if it was played at Royal Athletic. RAP is not in very good shape. Very bumpy and hard in the middle of the park, with very long grass on the outsides of the field. I think it is a better choice to have it played on turf.

In regards to the game vs Inter this past weekend. Great game, Great team, very skilled, very classy. Too bad you couldn't join us for some pints.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although Hampton is Gorge' home field it is the best facility to play at. There would have been several complaints from everyone if it was played at Royal Athletic. RAP is not in very good shape. Very bumpy and hard in the middle of the park, with very long grass on the outsides of the field. I think it is a better choice to have it played on turf.

Vike...can't remember all of my fields from when I was over there but there are NO great grass fields to play on? I would agree if the grass option was exhausted but that can't be the case. What about JDF #1? I seem to recall it was the best pitch in the league...just rent it from them!

Turf should be a last option.

Oh yeah - where did Meat Grinder go? So much so early and then nothing?

The Vike

Nov 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp,

You could possibly be right. JDF may be in good shape. Part of the decision could be the baseball factor. I am not sure.

All I know is that JDF would not have a beer garden where as Hampton has the clubhouse with a mega fridge full of lucky and other beer!!

studsup

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

In regards to the game vs Inter this past weekend. Great game, Great team, very skilled, very classy. Too bad you couldn't join us for some pints.

First off, there would be no complaints for playing on grass, this province has become a joke. They have been playing on shite fields for donkey's years all over europe. Ever see any game in any elite league on turf?? Why do you think Central and South american kids and teams are so dam good? Has nothing to do with foot / eye coordination on absolute shite hard dirt fields eh? This province and country has lost it if they think we are going to compete with the rest of the world. Also, there is this fantastic invention out, it's called a lawn mower. Poor excuses for a competition you have known about for months.

Hard luck on Langley yesterday, felt for the boys but UBC were just younger and fitter. I would like to know how many days a week they are training together, they looked like they had more to give yesterday but langley defended well. Thought chuck and Nick both had great games. Onto VIC I and Old TeamMates Stevie and Ryan. Strathcona must be filling up quick??

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PCSL website said:
Three of the four clubs that are through to the semis are either PCSL clubs or have PCSL connections, Vancouver Thunderbirds, Peace Arch United and Gorge FC who form the core of Victoria United in the PCSL.
Whatever works I guess in promoting your league but this seems a bit of a stretch, no?

It'll be interesting to see what comes next year as from what I've heard, allowing the PCSL an entry this year wasn't exactly well thought out and some significant rules are going to be needed to be put in place regarding transfer rules and deadlines...

norm

Apr 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hampton is a top shelf facility, maybe Inter lads can confirm??? Changeroom with showers, clubhouse and concession right there.

Considering Vic is welcoming some top notch soccer (for BC at least) then why not play at the best facility? The old boys scheduled for RAP, well their battles and grudges have been played on shite grass throughout their careers. They must be jacked not to be playing on turf!

I must say it would be nice to have the games scheduled on different days (old boys Saturday, open cup Sunday or vice-versa to take in all the action). At least at Hampton you don't have to pay for $5 dollar pints such as the case at RAP.

lfc3

Sep 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is not much of a stretch to say that the final will be played on arguably the best grass pitch in BC.

We played on it in early March and it was in great shape. Lots of grass and very flat.

As for our game, bit of a heart breaker. Any read on a game after a loss usually gets interpreted as an excuse so I will leave it. About 30 seconds shy of the result though in a game I think watching as a neutral you may say we were dominated. Like Surrey, I think we did what we needed to do to compete.

For the Gorge, UBC are very quick and very fit without a whole lot of pressure on them as I do not think they really know what they are playing for. Very classy kids, no mouths on that team what so ever. Impressive. That said will be pulling for Gorge big time as this is a competition for senior men's teams, not CIS teams.

All the best to PAU even though Keeling can't find anything redeeming about you guys. Would love to be out in the Wack supporting you guys in a few weeks time.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky LFC.

Man oh man the moaning that goes on here....

If you take a moment to think about it before setting fire to whomever you have nailed to the cross this week, grass has been a bitch to get all season long for a very large portion of teams. Short of the ones associated with big clubs who have their own facilities (ie) Peach Arch, Surrey and maybe MF who played on turf all year, who else has played a game on grass in the last 4 months? (6 months) Turf is a way of life now in Canada, seriously, we need to get over it. Amateur senior soccer is so very secondary on anyones priorities list... regardless of what kids in Brazil are playing on, it’s completely a moot point here.

Gorge are good hosts and Hampton is a cracking little facility. RAP has and always has will be dodgy at best. Honestly, all teams are better off not playing on it or some side of the road elementary school park. Anyone remember the crap Indo use to play on at McNair? You would have given your left nut for turf had the semi's been there. You’d probably say the same even if you were playing at Hastings.

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
and Gorge FC who form the core of Victoria United in the PCSL.

Must have used the whole team. According to a local article United used 43 players last season.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, if the Island had last choice on the field, and they selected a pitch that better suits their home team, well big deal. Too fcuking bad.

Every one in every cup or tournament does it.

Just ask Ghouse. ;)

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
First off, there would be no complaints for playing on grass, this province has become a joke. They have been playing on shite fields for donkey's years all over europe. Ever see any game in any elite league on turf?? Why do you think Central and South american kids and teams are so dam good? Has nothing to do with foot / eye coordination on absolute shite hard dirt fields eh? This province and country has lost it if they think we are going to compete with the rest of the world. Also, there is this fantastic invention out, it's called a lawn mower. Poor excuses for a competition you have known about for months.

Hard luck on Langley yesterday, felt for the boys but UBC were just younger and fitter. I would like to know how many days a week they are training together, they looked like they had more to give yesterday but langley defended well. Thought chuck and Nick both had great games. Onto VIC I and Old TeamMates Stevie and Ryan. Strathcona must be filling up quick??

It least the turf pitch will provide half decent entertainment for the fans. the cup final and your provincial game were a fukcing bore. It's great to see the top teams muck it out on a uneven pitch:rolleyes:...no wonder so many people in North America don't get why everyone else in the world loves this game. We all grew up on grass yet don't have anywhere near the talent of players around the world so I don't know what you're going on about. Turf changes the game, I hate how hard it is on the body, but when you see a good turf team its much better then watching any game on some of these lower mainland pitches. It speeds up the game and makes it more enjoyable to watch. That is who we are marketing the game towards isn't it..the fans

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will somewhat agree with bulljive.

I heard comments here and there about how the games (Grass games specifically) were hard to watch by many a guy and gal that play mostly on turf these days.

We are used to seeing a ball that is passed in a particular direction actually go where it was intended...

Turf is killer hard on the body, but I will also say that Turf has come a long long way, some of the newer turf installs are actually quite nice to play on, and the whole inertia vs grab thing is a matter of boot selection imho.

I'm no Premier player, but knvb is right (tongue in cheek or not) Senior Amateur soccer is going to take a back seat to many things and with the state of most grass fields, everyone shoudl get over the whole turf vs grass thing...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get over it.........turf fields are better than shite grass fields and there are far too many shite grass fields out there. It's very rare that a team has an advantage on turf anymore........home teams who have grass fields actually have more of an advantage now. I have to be honest....I enjoy running practices on turf, enjoy reffing on turf, and would probably even enjoying shagging on turf. The little black rubber pellets might be a bit awkward though.....I'm just off to ask my wife if she wants to head over to Hugh Boyd in a few hours.

Good luck to all teams this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0