Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rio 2016 - Go Canada Go

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love watching swimming.

I seriously just love the Olympics, I'll watch almost anything, especially if it involves Canadian athletes.

The road course (cycling) for both men and women was arguably the most difficult single day race those athletes will face this year. The climbs put the hurt in, and the decsents downright harrowing. The course tested every aspect of a good racer's toolbox, from ability to stay with the leaders on the climb, ability to technically race the descents, time-trialing on the flat sections between climbing, then on the final stretch. Added to that, it came not too long after the TDF; the guys were coming off an emotional and physical peak, so to have to recover and dial it in again for the Olympics, very tough. Some great racers crashed out, or simply dropped.

For all the hype the golfers are getting for shunning the games (no money, Zico, whatever), the best professional cyclist in the world showed up and raced that course as hard as they would in for their teams in the professional circuit. Total respect for their efforts (we'll see if they pass doping control another story on it's own).

Looking forward mostly to BMX, to see if Tory Nyhaug can pull off getting into the final. He's managed to stay injury free this year, and has had some good results at World Cups (several podiums), his best World's result as an elite senior is a silver a couple of years back, and then the Pam Am Games win last year. He's poised to make the main (final), then once in, he's favored for a top 5. Win? Don't know. He's healthy. BMX is a thankless sport, but I've watched first hand how Tory, since he was a junior, has worked his ass off to the amongst the world's best. His rise to the top was against the grain in our country, where BMX is not well supported amongst all the cycling disciplines. His parents should write a book titled, "Building an Olympian".

Good vid here, check it out, and the one straight after. https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/y...=4fb87c2730f85a394a9a726ff51bde75&action=view

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone see where the US Men's and Women's Basketball team is staying for the Olympics?

On board the cruise liner where basketball stars are spending Olympics http://dailym.ai/2aNiRx7

And then having 3De getting caught at a brothel is priceless. Yes I want credit for 3De ( DeMarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan, DeMar Derozan)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aug 17 (time trials / seeding), 18 (quarters), 19 (semis / main).

He'll get through seeding, likely w/ a top 3 time. Quarters, you'd think he'd be a lock, but it all depends on who he's grouped with. Tory is now a pretty seasoned WC racer, and a top one at that, plain old fast. I'd expect him to get through quarters.

Semis can come down to luck of lane selection, and groupings. If Tory is in the main, he's a treat. He's an excellent technical rider and can pass, his gates are top 5. Problem is, there are 16-20 guys with a legit claim to the main of 8, and will be gunning for it in the semis. In BMX, the semis are very stressful, nobody is saving anything for the main, and there will be some big names taken out in crashes.

I'm predicting:

1- Sam Willoughby (Aus)
2- Maris Stromberg (Latvia)
3- Tory

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Winning all 3 group matches is impressive - well done ladies!
Great win for Canada, but one has to think, who really won?
Both teams fielded a "Weaker Team".
If that's the case, I would say that Germany came out of the game with the better result.
I'm not saying either team played to lose, but look at the possibilities of the quarter final games.
Canada will probably play France & Germany will likely play Sweden, depending on the remaining results in the groups.
Who would you rather play in the quarter's?
I know what I would have done.
Interesting to hear other views on this.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What would you have done? As a player, and as a manager?

I thought about this…

As a manager, your message can’t be to tank. You can juggle the line-up, and Remind the girls that they are there to play hard, to learn what they can about their opponent’s style of play, and to get out of it with no injuries or cards…but beyond that, you can’t do and say much.

As a player, my feeling is I’d rather play hard, and let the chips fall as they may. I’d rather get a result than lose a match, no matter what. Then there is something to be said about momentum, and capturing lightning in a bottle.

Who knows if Germany played to lose…maybe they played exactly how they felt they needed to, given their points standing and GD. We’ll never know.

But, Australia sure didn’t, and my feeling is that the girls now go into every match going forward with the confidence they can beat anyone. That added confidence has to be worth something.

Tough one...

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What would you have done? As a player, and as a manager?

I thought about this…

As a manager, your message can’t be to tank. You can juggle the line-up, and Remind the girls that they are there to play hard, to learn what they can about their opponent’s style of play, and to get out of it with no injuries or cards…but beyond that, you can’t do and say much.

As a player, my feeling is I’d rather play hard, and let the chips fall as they may. I’d rather get a result than lose a match, no matter what. Then there is something to be said about momentum, and capturing lightning in a bottle.

Who knows if Germany played to lose…maybe they played exactly how they felt they needed to, given their points standing and GD. We’ll never know.

But, Australia sure didn’t, and my feeling is that the girls now go into every match going forward with the confidence they can beat anyone. That added confidence has to be worth something.

Tough one...
Fair comment.
I thought when Buchannan got her yellow card in the game before, it looked like it was planned, so she would miss the Germany game & be ready for the quarter final.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair comment.
I thought when Buchannan got her yellow card in the game before, it looked like it was planned, so she would miss the Germany game & be ready for the quarter final.

Ditto. I`m sure she did. They were as good as in at that point. Smart move.

For the rest, I think it`s a fine line.

Who knows what Herdman said to the players, but I think his actions (the line-up), and the effort of his players was appropriate.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Taking a we can beat anyone mentality into the next round is huge. Think they'll be rolling with confidence - but not cockiness from going 3-0-0. Wish I had a chance to watch.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at Rooneys comments after they lost to Iceland. The players thought resting and making changes in the last group game was a big mistake. Momentum is everything in a tourney like this, you keep winning and building belief. Instead of feeling like on your best day you may be able to pull an upset you start feeling like we are are going to be anyone put infront of us. When you feel like that you play different.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did ze Germans field a weaker team? I mean, they almost got knocked out and ended up going through by a single goal :eek:

France on Friday

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did ze Germans field a weaker team? I mean, they almost got knocked out and ended up going through by a single goal :eek:

France on Friday

My feeling is they did (apparently rested 5 regulars). From their perspective, they knew Canada would rest key players, and their backline would be significantly weaker. Running the math, they would just need to keep the score low and hope the Aussies didn`t completely blow-up the GD.

But...in the end...who cares. Canada`s bench warmers beat Germany`s bench warmers on the day. I still say the confidence the Canadian ladies gain is more valuable than tanking for perhaps a better draw.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough, don't want to get into an internet argument over ladies football :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we argue about something? I mean, something other than ice cream, Saudis, and Vancouver East Side / West Side Demographics? TTP has become too friendly. Too many "likes", not enough BODs.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watching the coach and the subs on the sideline tells you everything you need to know. They were nervous holding that lead and completely pumped to win it. They now get a tougher QF but they played to win for sure.

DeltaDodger

Nov 24, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we argue about something? I mean, something other than ice cream, Saudis, and Vancouver East Side / West Side Demographics? TTP has become too friendly. Too many "likes", not enough BODs.
does self "bag of dicks"ing yourself make you a bag of dicks or just a cnut? :)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0