Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Round 1: Toronto vs. Philidelphia.

How will this series pan out?

• Toronto in four.:mad:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philly in four.

• Toronto in five.:mad:

• Philly in five.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Toronto in six.:mad:

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Philly in six.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Toronto in seven.:mad:

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Philly in seven.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How will this series pan out? I hope the Leafs choke.:mad:

All articles and discussion can be posted here.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hate the fcuking Leafs.

TARGET PRACTICE
Leafs D faces punishing series

By TERRY KOSHAN, TORONTO SUN

Bryan McCabe is fully aware he and the other Maple Leafs defencemen might as well be wearing targets when Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Philadelphia Flyers begins on Wednesday.

If people such as Jeremy Roenick, Keith Primeau and Donald Brashear are in the mood, they will create headaches for the Toronto defenders. In the next couple of days of practice, the Leafs defence corps realizes it will have to steel itself for the size and rambunctious play of some of the Flyers forwards. Roenick, for example, was assessed a match penalty in a game in December when he steamrolled Robert Svehla, who was not hurt on the play.

"They are going to be physical and we know that," McCabe said. "They are a big team and there will be a lot of battles down low, and trying to contain them."

Barring a change of general manager/coach Pat Quinn's mind, McCabe will be paired with 39-year-old Phil Housley, who saw his first action in a Leafs uniform on Saturday night after missing seven weeks with a fracture in his right ankle.

McCabe and Housley got a first glimpse at each other's tendencies in the regular-season finale against the Ottawa Senators on Saturday and were on the ice for both of the Sens' even-strength goals in a 3-1 Leafs loss. Still, they were comfortable with each other.

"He is a good passer and it is easy to play with a guy like that," McCabe said. "I have had so many partners this year, I don't think there is any method to the madness. Phil and I felt good out there. He is a puckhandler and I am physical."

Quinn, who gave his team yesterday off, is not entirely sure how his forward lines will shape up in the next couple of days. Captain Mats Sundin (mouth), Travis Green (ribs), Alex Mogilny (back), Robert Reichel (chest) and Tom Fitzgerald did not play against Ottawa, but all should be ready for Game 1. Clearly, there will be some bruised egos when Quinn posts his opening lineup on Wednesday.

Behind the blue line, though, the picture is clearer. Quinn said he is "pretty sure" the pairs of Housley and McCabe, Tomas Kaberle and Svehla, and Jyrki Lumme and Aki Berg will be employed to begin the series. When Glen Wesley, who was sore on Saturday after testing his broken foot with a skate on Friday, returns, Quinn will bump one of Lumme or Berg. It also means Ric Jackman, who levelled off in 42 games during the regular season and finished with a team-worst minus-10, probably will not see post-season action unless there is an injury.

"We tried everybody together and had some good times and some not so good times," Quinn said. "I like how Kaberle and Svehla (the only two Leafs to play in all 82 regular-season games) look together. Either Housley or Wesley, when he comes back, will play with McCabe and we will figure out the third unit. We are going to be interchangeable."

Doctors are optimistic about Wesley's speedy recovery, but he is not expected to be ready until Game 2 or 3.

The Flyers finished with 211 goals, the lowest of the eight Eastern Conference playoff teams, but Housley is wary of their potential.

"We are going to have to be smart with the puck and not try to get too many odd-man rushes against us," Housley said. "They have a lot of good offensive players."

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This should be the second best series behind the Nucks/STL. Down to the wire with Belfour being the difference over Cechmanek. This should be the most physical series of them all.

Parkhead

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who?

Parkhead, who do you pick?

I say Philly in 7.

I agree, it will be the second best series in the first round.

downtown

Dec 2, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leafs suck

Philly in 5. Those hopeless, whining, leafs deserve to go early. Not a big fan of the Flyers either - hope we see some fights in this one with Domi and Brashear beating the crap out each other

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fights?

There won't be any fights in this game as both of these teams play a purely finesse style game, it will be nothing but beautiful passing and phenomenally exciting scoring.

:rolleyes:

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know if it's the Canadian in me, but I was almost happy the Leafs won.:(

I don't feel right.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's okay, it's okay!

TheRob,

It's called the bandwagon. You're a good guy. I'll save a spot for you. :D

Watch your step, there's a few more trying to push their way on! :rolleyes:

DJ

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy,

I just lost all respect for you :mad:

It's immaterial at this point whether it was a lot are only a little to begin with :D

Laughs - BOO!!!

~Regs.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blue blood

D'uh! :eek:

I'll reserve you a seat as well Regs. Only a matter of time... ;)

Good luck this weekend. I'll stop by on Saturday after our little game with my little ones. We'll talk Leaf talk then.

Cheers

Jonesywho'sstillbitteraboutwatchingthebigshow

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From TSN.ca - 4/10/2003

The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost forward Nik Antropov for the remainder of the first round with a broken bone in his foot.

Antropov will miss the next three to four weeks after blocking a shot in Wednesday's playoff opener against the Philadelphia Flyers.

It's the same type of injury which sidelined defenceman Phil Housley for seven weeks this season.

Robert Reichel is expected to take Antropov's spot on the team's second line. The Maple Leafs have called up Aaron Gavey to fill the spot on the roster.

Results of an MRI on Darcy Tucker's left knee revealed no serious damage. He is listed as day-to-day.

The Leafs are already without centres Doug Gilmour (knee) and Travis Green (ribs) and defenceman Glen Wesley (ankle).

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. Yes I am.

DJones said:
You're a good guy.
Are you only saying that because I won the hockey pool or do you really mean it?

Does the injury to Antropov spell the end for the Leafs? I hope nsot.;)

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Love it!

The Leafs have to be a desperate team if they are counting on Housley to play 19 minutes a game......like he did tonight.................If that's the case it's GOLF LEAFS GOLF!!

Sandman

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Domi's punching bag routine was very enjoyable as well.

When's the last time you saw a fight in the play-offs?

Wake up and lose, leaves.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You'd think given how badly they've outplayed the Leafs in both games now, the Flyers must be a little disappointed leaving Philly with a 1-1 series split. That game last night was an absolute massacre, as the big guns (Recchi, LeClair, Gagne, Roenick) all took over and punished the Loafs for 60 minutes. I think the only pressing issue is the lack of production (again) in the postseason by Primeau. This guy wears the "C" in Philly but can't seem to put it together in the playoffs.

If Belfour wasn't in the midst of the "Save The Eagle's Floundering Career" tour, this series could have been blown wide open after game one. But as it stands, Toronto could take a stranglehold if all goes well at the ACC. In which case, Philly will most certainly look back at game one as a big missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0