Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RRSL Summer 2005 Results & Banter - Div 2

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Willy said:
Ok, I want to be as diplomatic as possible here, because I know and like the two Club I members who have posted here (in fact I like most Club I members), and I understand that we all get defensive when one of our own gets hurt … and contrary to comments made above ... no-one (not even the Idiots) likes to see anyone get hurt.

I was there, on the pitch, two steps away from the tackle when it occurred … It was a hard tackle, and the lad got hurt ... that much is true. RUFC assisted in aiding the player – with one of our players (who is a registered nurse) taking charge of treating the kid until medical help arrived.

RUFC has been on the wrong side of 3 broken legs in the past 2 seasons. We have not felt the need to burden league executives with lengthy letters …the referee was right there and a call was made … why the need to write a letter?

It all seems a bit self-righteous to me.

The reality is … both teams spent 45 minutes at their respective sidelines staying warm waiting for the Ambulance to arrive. During that time, players from Club I spent much of that time shouting threats of payback and retribution – something I’d suggest is far more (or at least equally) concerning than a tackle during the run of play.

In fact, it was concerning enough to the referee that after 45 minutes of waiting to resume play, he opted to abandon the match. Not because of the tackle, but, I believe, because of Club Ireland’s threats of violence and “payback”.

So I’m sure your Club will take decisive action against those whose un-gentlemanly conduct caused the game to be abandoned.

Glass houses ……..

(Burno and Capt - Being the devil's advocate, remember there are two sides to every story)

Willy,

You're not playing devil's advocate, as you were there. I was just reporting what I heard. Why the player in question didn't bother once to check on the injured player is beyond understanding. If he was any bit remorseful for the 'challenge', one would think he would show some concern and see how guy was doing. That didn't happen. As for the comments from Club I sidelines, let me ask you this question. If it was your brother on the other end of the tackle from say me, what would your team members have done. I'm sure they would have been shaking my hand. Like you said yourself, try the other side. How many of your players would have been happy if someone 'challenged' someone on your team like that? My guess is your glass houses comment would become moot.

Also, how come no one reported this right after the game? Was everyone waiting to see if Club I would comment first? Or it just wasn't that important. Anyway, I've said it already. It would probably be in the best interest of both clubs if the aforementioned 'tackler' stayed on the sidelines. Surely that would be the only logical thing for everyone.

As for the letter, I have no idea what the content is and nor will I ever find out. Also, the broken legs that have been received by RUFC members, were the tackles fair? If so, then letters wouldn't be appropriate. If the tackle was deemed unfair/cheap, they PERHAPS a letter is warranted. I don't know. Remember, I wasn't there, but they obviously feel strongly enough to write it. Their choice.

Perhaps Sidewinder can help with some of the comments he heard from the RUFC 'coaching staff' or sidelines...........

Hail Hail

Wally

Jul 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, I hope Tommy is recuperating well - as previously stated - no one wants anyone to suffer any injuries playing this game.

That being said, sometimes injuries occur in this game (god knows I've had way more than my share of them!).

Burnro, the tackle in question was by no means a "two-footed, studs-up, over-the-top challenge". I know you weren't there to see the game and are relying on what information is passed on. The contact was shin on shin, the difference being one was vertical, one was horizontal. (His foot did actually play the ball). The outcome of the tackle was worse than could have been expected. It was not a pre-meditated attack as has been possibly suggested.

I'd also like to add that sometimes a player's reputation can cloud people's judgements of incidents. IMO, I don't think that anyone should consider this as anything more than an unfortunate outcome of a hard challenge for the ball.

As a long time player with RUFC, I have enjoyed the opportunity to play with and against several CI players, and the rivalry has always been present. I think both clubs like to beat each other by playing better football than the other team. I sincerely hope that rivalry continues with clubs trying to outperform each other through their playing abilities and not degenerate into a kick fest over an unfortunate injury.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wally said:
. I sincerely hope that rivalry continues with clubs trying to outperform each other through their playing abilities and not degenerate into a kick fest

Just leave the kickfests to the BLaze and Club I please. :D

Injuries happen, bad tackles happen. Guys can overexcited and do dumb things in the passion of the game. Most have us have done something similar but without a bad injry occuring. Keep things calm for the thursday game.

Hopefully Tommy can fully recover from the injury.

Cheers

Army

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ginger, RUFC et all

I realize that some comments made from our sideline weren't very sportsmanlike, but as mentioned previously, if the situation were reversed, would you all be saints and keep quiet throughout?

I don't have a problem with anyone that I can recall from RUFC over my past 4 or 5 years at this level, although the old timer center back that helped Tommy out can get under my skin ;) but when people make stupid remarks about a serious situation, I say something.

Case in point, your coach Mr. Frank says along the lines of to the referee after being told the game was going to be called a draw, 'Why can't we continue play ref?, we've been waiting for them the past 20 minutes...' :mad: :confused: Are fcuking kidding me?

Hearing something like that, I tend to speak my mind, realizing it might not always be appropriate and won't necessarily help things, but hey I'm a vocal guy.

I’m sure we all wish Tom a speedy recovery and can be agreed that both clubs need to get past this unfortunate event and move forward. The best way possible is Club I getting 3 points on Thursday. :)

BA,

That kick fest you speak of, are you talking about your lots poor tackling skills, or just the way you move the ball up the park? :D ;)

wayne's world

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
what's the RRSL summer league like? any good teams or is this a purely beer league with a few leg breaks mixed in? any premier players from VMSL or FVSL play in it?

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
club_i_champ said:
BA,

That kick fest you speak of, are you talking about your lots poor tackling skills, or just the way you move the ball up the park? :D ;)

We made tackles when we played you lot? It must have been a special occasion. :D

Our kick and run is a special thing. We consider them long short passes. :knvb:

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
wayne's world said:
what's the RRSL summer league like? any good teams or is this a purely beer league with a few leg breaks mixed in? any premier players from VMSL or FVSL play in it?

The RRSL league is actually a very good summer league.

We played the Richmond Dragons last night who boast the likes of Garret Kusch, Jason Levie, Anton, Ricky Hikida, Ian Clarke, Matt Cooper, Todd Grundland etc.

Our bunch of Delta lads - a great mix of premier, div 1 and over 30's boys with a mix of some Peace Arch over 30's lads came out victorious last night with a big 1-0 win, handed the Dragons their first loss of the season and leap frogged them to first place in the league.

4ST OUT!!!! :bronco: :bronco:

abcd

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
delta and dragons will have a playoff game at the end of the season if they remain tied, which most likely will happen

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
abcd said:
delta and dragons will have a playoff game at the end of the season if they remain tied, which most likely will happen

Assuming both teams finish with the same points I can't understand why there would be a playoff game because in the two head to head matches Delta has a 1 win and 1 tie record.

Unless I'm missing something here Delta should get the nod as the division winners......No?

abcd

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
one could argue goal difference as a tie breaker or head to head. but in most league including RRSL, it's an extra game per the constitution of the league, which isn't really the worst way to decide things. The reason for this is that the champion will get promoted next summer to the top division.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope tommy has a speedy recovery .. nobody likes to see a fellow player in dire straits.. what I have seen of him in the past
he should be back at it once the cast is off hope to see him on the pitch asap

I have been with RUFC since I was 17-18 ( now 35)
In all the Labatts / Rufc yrs we have a always had a
healthy and sometimes heated rivalry with club I

Concerning this incident and the word's spoken b/4 and after the incident ... I really don't know what to say
I was there and alot of the comments here on TTP are from people who weren't there....

was the ball there when both players went for it ..,Yes
was somebody going in harder then the other .. probably
alot of injuries do occur when one person isn't going in
100% and the other is
calling it a intent to injure ... I got issues with that
i know him and yes he's no saint but he's a good guy
great player and quite a character ....

what I did notice was a alot of the Club I guys strolling in the middle of the Pitch and especially one ... I think he wore # 17 and had shaggy hair ... he basically made it clear he was pissed off
and wanted everybody to know it

Waiting for the ambulance everybody around Tommy ...Club I and RUFC people appeared alright together

I hope thursday's game turns out to be a Soccer Game
not a Kickfest

T

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
abcd said:
one could argue goal difference as a tie breaker or head to head. but in most league including RRSL, it's an extra game per the constitution of the league, which isn't really the worst way to decide things. The reason for this is that the champion will get promoted next summer to the top division.

Our Delta squad had a team in Div 1 last year and had a team there for as long as I can remember.

We were very competitive in the Div 1 league as we got to the final a number of times. As a group we decided the Div 1 thing was no longer for us and a majority of the guys made the move to the Div 2 league.

I know we wouldn't have any intention of moving back up to the Div 1 league if declared 2B champions. The Div 1 spot is of zero interest to the Delta PA squad - we're quite happy with the level of competition in the Div 2 league. Of course I don't speak for the majority and I don't run the team (that's my disclaimer........... ;) )

wayne's world

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
to avoid arguements, that's why rules were written before the league starts. ask your coach or league official for the league constitution, it will tell you how tie breakers are broken

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Dart, since your quota of PMs has been fulfilled, there is a game tomorrow night at Association Park. Apparently one of the has-beens who never was has signed for one match. There will be a bbq there and many beers. If you're around, it is at Association at 6:30, I think.....:)

Hail Hail

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0