Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sorry but teams should not be forced to wear poppies. It should be an individuals choice. Were the NBA/NHL teams wearing poppies in their games yesterday? If not, why not? Why the **** do British teams have to do it? It is up to each individual how they want to remember. Well done to Manu if they chose not to.

come on man, there's a reason also other than paying tribute. i know arsenal auction off the jerseys too and give all the money to war vets. Man utd should do the same, every team should. im pretty sure chelsea do this too. it's a show of respect for people who gave their lifes for our freedom.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangers today released their annual accounts for the year to end June 2009. Turnover dipped to £39.7m (2008: £64.5m), the lowest in over a decade, with net operating expenses, the cost to run the club before things like transfers and interest, at £48.2m.

The club lost £12.7m despite the sale of Carlos Cuellar for 10m euro. Although Rangers invested this and more on new players, outgoing transfer payments are amortised in the accounts over the period of each player's contract, so this loss is despite the overwhelming majority of last season's transfer spend having not hit the accounts yet.

Net debt topped all predictions at £31.1m.

Also,

Rangers have been fined 20,000 euros (£17,988) and been ordered to pay the cost of damage to the Steaua Stadium as a result of the improper conduct of their fans during the Champions League match against Unirea Urziceni in Romania last week.

Television pictures from last Wednesday night's 1-1 Group G draw in Bucharest showed a number of visiting supporters clashing with Romanian police in the stands, while one fan was seen to rip out a seat.

Unirea Urziceni have been fined 8,000 euros (£7,195) for lack of organisation at the same match.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain had claimed the trouble was triggered by poor organisation at the Steaua Stadium and over-zealous policing.

The Light Blues were fined £13,300 for supporters' discriminatory chanting and £9,000 for attacking their opponents' team bus during an away game against Villarreal in 2006.

The following year, they were fined £8,280 on an improper conduct charge for fans' behaviour at an away UEFA Cup game against Osasuna.

However, it appears that UEFA have bottled it as per usual, amid fears ground closure could be one of the sanctions imposed on the Ibrox club by the governing body.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain revealed his displeasure at the fine and reiterated his anger at the "moronic conduct" of the fans who were involved in the disturbances, but said the club will not appeal the punishment.

"The moronic conduct of these individuals was wholly unacceptable and flies in the face of what we stand for as a football club. (Aye that will be right) We will not appeal today's decision.

"Our official supporters groups have also tried to encourage sporting behaviour by all fans however their efforts are undermined by people who call themselves Rangers fans but have only their own mindless interests at heart.

"We do not want these people at our matches. Just their money I suppose.

Bain returned to his previous complaints about the poor facilities within the stadium and the heavy-handed treatment Rangers fans endured.

Once again Rangers get away it.

herecomesthewhataboutery

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
DB,

was that a whoosh? Cause I didn't catch your answer. I'm not trying to be an arsehole here, I think it's a legitimate question. To me it's kinda like actions speaking louder than words, or in this case, poppies.

Sigh.........yes Jinky, a legitimate question.....my point is, I don't believe for a second that Man U do what they say they do when it comes to the veterans and their 'charitable wing'. And of course we won't know until their financials come out....when is their year end?:rolleyes:
I believe that it is just words to appease the general public and Man U hope it's forgotten by next match day....which sadly, it most probably will.

So, I believe in this case, sewing a blood(y) poppy on a shirt would have been the right thing to do.
That's my answer......whoosh:D

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it's oh so tiresome to you DB, what with your written "sigh" but try reading my question again and then give an honest answer. You'll notice I didn't mention any team in particular, so instant Man U bashing is hardly a response.

Oh and while I'm here, this made me laugh, it's by TTP's resident authority on honouring the dead, whether they were killed in a war or by throwing themselves in front of train while in the throes of deep depression,

I hear what Jinky is saying in asking what does Football have to do with Remembrance Day... I answered that when I said Popular culture, iconic institutions and people getting behind a thing like poppies...

Well that rambling sentence fragment certainly cleared things up.

There are others who feel the Remembrance Day poppy custom has been hijacked by people who want to gain greater popularity for the current conflicts Britain are involved in, specifically Iraq and Afghanistan. It is only in the last few years that this whole poppy on the jerseys dictat has come to light. And one of it's main backers is the particularly jigoistic English newspaper, the Daily Mail with it's "campaign" to have every team in Britain wear this symbol on it's kit. What these poppy bullies are doing flies in the face of what the poppy is supposed to stand for, a remembrance of all who sacraficed during wartime.They are bullying people and organizations into wearing this symbol by threatening to call into question not only their respect for the fallen of the past but also their respect for those fighting current wars. By doing so they are trying to create a link between the unpopular actions of today and the nobly viewed WW2.

It would have been easy for Man U and Liverpool to just give in and sew on a poppy, I respect them for not succumbing to the pressure.

For the record, I wore my poppy because I live in Canada, who btw, did not fight under the British Flag in WW2 any more than the British forces fought under the Stars and Stripes. And if people here in Canada chose not to wear it, that's their business.

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it's oh so tiresome to you DB, what with your written "sigh" but try reading my question again and then give an honest answer. You'll notice I didn't mention any team in particular, so instant Man U bashing is hardly a response.

Oh and while I'm here, this made me laugh, it's by TTP's resident authority on honouring the dead, whether they were killed in a war or by throwing themselves in front of train while in the throes of deep depression,

Well that rambling sentence fragment certainly cleared things up.

There are others who feel the Remembrance Day poppy custom has been hijacked by people who want to gain greater popularity for the current conflicts Britain are involved in, specifically Iraq and Afghanistan. It is only in the last few years that this whole poppy on the jerseys dictat has come to light. And one of it's main backers is the particularly jigoistic English newspaper, the Daily Mail with it's "campaign" to have every team in Britain wear this symbol on it's kit. What these poppy bullies are doing flies in the face of what the poppy is supposed to stand for, a remembrance of all who sacraficed during wartime.They are bullying people and organizations into wearing this symbol by threatening to call into question not only their respect for the fallen of the past but also their respect for those fighting current wars. By doing so they are trying to create a link between the unpopular actions of today and the nobly viewed WW2.

It would have been easy for Man U and Liverpool to just give in and sew on a poppy, I respect them for not succumbing to the pressure.

For the record, I wore my poppy because I live in Canada, who btw, did not fight under the British Flag in WW2 any more than the British forces fought under the Stars and Stripes. And if people here in Canada chose not to wear it, that's their business.

Actually, you're just starting to get on my tits to be quite honest.

You have your opinion. I have mine. I don't have to adopt yours even if you can use the word 'jigoistic' properly in a sentence....even if you had trouble with 'sacrificed'.

I spoke about Man U because that is what the thread was pointing towards. There was no mention of any other team and if you look at my posts, you would find that to be the common theme CS......erm, I mean Jinky.:rolleyes:
Yes, I read that little piece as well on the poppy and the reasons not to wear it. If you paid attention to my posts, you would see that I was NOT referring to any individual wearing a poppy and could give a daffy whether you did or didn't. That's your choice. I feel there are bigger issues when dealing with a world famous, highly visible organisation such as Man U.

I answered your question by saying that actions do speak louder than words, if indeed they did give more to the veterans through their 'charitable wing'.....which I have a hard time believing. So in that case, I believe sewing a wee poppy on a shirt would have been right.

You are right that the British did not fight under the stars and stipes. If we did, we'd have a lot less casualties. Canada was considered Britain's ally and subordinate. I think you also might find a union jack in that old flag. They took up arms as soon as Britain declared war.
That is NOT a slight on Canada before you start banging that drum.
Queen Elizabeth II finally proclaimed and approved the Maple Leaf flag in 1965.....this from the government of canada website, not wikipedia.

And while I'm here, I have no fcuking idea why you are putting one of JBN's post in a reply to me.

Now excuse me as I go and get ready for the fitba'

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll wager a five that Celtic's most famous supporter wasnae wearin' a poppy.

Allez les Bleus.

Attachments

• susan-boyle.jpg
    susan-boyle.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 46

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bucky:

Why are you stalking Susan Boyle? Restraining order still not in place yet?

Eagerly awaiting something fitba-related,

Trece

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dodgy results, dodgy selections, the saga leading up to Baz and Shagger getting themselves into trouble, the whole thing was/is a mess, maybe the SFA will give walter a contract?, something Rangers look like they can't do ;)

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oooh naughty Basil Boli has been spending too much time with guys like the Dodgy Daves, Murray and King.

Rangers hero Basile Boli held over fraud rap | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

He'll escape any jail time if he hires the same lawyer who previously defended him and Chris Waddle for crimes against music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct5puqTSi0"]YouTube- Boli & Waddle : We've got a feeling[/ame]

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zonal marking strikes again..........getting tired of this picture.

2 - 1 for Dundee United on two late goals. Are there any Europa berths for 3rd place? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0