Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Gaffers - McCarthy exits

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
McCarthy exits

Mick McCarthy put on a brave face and insisted he was 'completely happy' and would look back with 'immense pride and pleasure' following his decision to quit as Republic of Ireland manager.

McCarthy resigned on Tuesday after coming under increasing pressure following the infamous bust-up with Roy Keane prior to the World Cup and two straight defeats at the start of Ireland's Euro 2004 qualifying campaign.

He told a Dublin press conference: 'It was for the good of the team as much as everything.

'I think not so much my presence as some of the stuff going on around my presence was affecting team performance.

'I don't feel any sense of betrayal at all - it's my decision.

'I feel immense pride and pleasure at being allowed to do the job and being given the opportunity to do it.

'The FAI were strong enough to back me. I'm very proud of being allowed to do the job and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

'I'll walk away with my head held high and I think I'm entitled to do that.'

McCarthy revealed he made his mind up to walk away after seeing his men lose their second successive Euro 2004 qualifier, against Switzerland.

He said: 'It wasn't a knee-jerk reaction but that was my feeling after the game. At the end of last week and the start of this week I decided.'

McCarthy refused be drawn into criticising Keane's impact on the Republic squad, focusing instead on the team's achievement in reaching the second round of the World Cup.

He added: 'After the World Cup we came back, we had such a good World Cup and we had 100,000 fans to welcome us back. There's no point in me getting angry with anybody.

'I've spoken to a few of the players today and they are disappointed.

'As a manager of either a club or a country you inevitably carry a weight of expectation and that's no different with me.

'It was made greater by things over the summer but we got on with it and achieved a lot over the summer.'

Football Association of Ireland FAI treasurer Delaney admitted McCarthy's departure had been 'inevitable' following the row which erupted in Saipan in May, when the manager banished the captain from the World Cup squad. But he refused to hail Keane as the winner at the end of the fight.

'Certain people who want to will perceive it that way, and that is there prerogative, but I wouldn't see it like that,' said Delaney. 'Mick will be judged on his six and a half years of management of Ireland, and that is what he should be judged on - not on the events of Saipan.

'Mick has been a very loyal, good and honest manager for Ireland. When history judges Mick McCarthy's time in charge it will show he had a very successful time.'

Don Givens, the manager or Ireland's Under-21s, will take charge of the senior team for the friendly in Greece on November 20 and the FAI expect to have a new manager in place before the next Euro 2004 qualifier in Georgia at the end of March.
Any thoughts?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just for Shitpicks

Next boss - Latest Odds

7-4 John Aldridge
2-1 David O'Leary
3-1 Joe Kinnear
10-1 Martin O'Neill
12-1 Peter Reid, John Toshack
14-1 Niall Quinn
100-1 Roy Keane

Bet now with William Hill...

ginger tours

Apr 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
John Aldridge Is My Bet

Personally dont think you can look past Aldridge - knows the players, currently not working? - none of the others look like a fit - Kinnear did fcuk all for Wales, O'Leary has publically ruled himself out, O'Neill isnt about to walk out on Celtic (Until the Utd job comes up again :D ) Toshack - Welsh, I know this no longer counts him out but suspect it will, Reid is apparantly on his way to Sheffield Wednesday which leaves the outsider Niall Quinn - although his public support for McCarthy over Keane will probably rule him out as I suspect the FAI will want Keane back in the fold. George Graham was mentioned as well but .........

7-4 not bad odds

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the gaffers

roy keane vs mick mccarthy

anyone have anything to say about this topic

did mick throw the towel in because of keane

will keano be back in the green marching in lisbon??:cool:

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would bet that the FAI contacted Keane, to see if he would come back, before they got McCarthy to resign! He will be playing in the next competitive game!

Cside17

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk mick

I just finished the roy keane autobio_ & mick is a right fcuking twat,so was charlton ,could never figure why the FAI gave those to english kunts the job ,stapelton,moran,mcgrath,wheelan local lads deserve a fcuking chance but I think Alderage will be the man born in tranmere capital of EIRE

THERE IS ONLY ONE KEANO,ONE KEANO

:p :D :bronco: :knvb: :wa: :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool:

OUR DAY WILL COME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My money is going on John Aldridge too. I think I will put $4000 on him and give the FAI a wee call too and make them an offer they can't refuse.........

ginger tours

Apr 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apology

Wasn't Joe Kinnear that managed Wales it was Bobby Gould - so maybe Captain you should tuck that $4k back in the mattress :D

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
slag those with an incomplete knowledge of the ttp library, self-stroke,...rinse, repeat when necessary. :p :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
slag those with an incomplete knowledge of the ttp library
We're talking about Sid here. Let's be realistic, incomplete knowledge of the TTP library is the least of his worries :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Packie Bonner

Is he not still in the fold??? I think he may just make the next step and become the Manager!!!
Then again what do i know about the Republic, I'm from the north!!!:rolleyes:

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keane...

I don't care who takes the job, but I will say this much. I hope whoever gets the job gives Roy Keane a phonecall and tells him he's still not welcome. Blokes a cancer.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keano

Gaffa,

That bloke is the reason that the Republic made the World Cup Finals in the first place ....... he's a fcukin' legend in Ireland and always will be. The people love him and his displays for his country (especially against Holland in the WC qualifiers) was nothing short of brilliant.

He'll don the captain's armband in the next qualifier. I'll bet Captain's $4k on it !!!! :D

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dislexia ??

..... mick is a right fcuking twat,so was charlton ,could never figure why the FAI gave those to english kunts the job

Sid ..... try reading the autobiography again - you may notice that Mick is a fcukin' paddy .......... he actually once captained Ireland ....... :eek:

Charlton on the other hand is English but I'm sure you weren't complaining too much when they made the quarter-finals of Italia '90 ......... :eek:

themanwiththefacts :D

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sid ..... try reading the autobiography again - you may notice that Mick is a fcukin' paddy .......... he actually once captained Ireland .......

Which, it must be said, is a fcuking clever trick for a Yorkshireman. ;)

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuing engerlish

mick was born in england,father was from limerick mother from manchester

Irish roots ,the whole fcuking world has them(Irish roots),I know all about Irish players born in england,grandparents were irish etc,etc but at the end of the day all charlton cared about was jack & his fcuking reputation fcuk jachk !!

as for mccarthy,good coaches demand great performances & challenges from their best players,TWAT took the roy keane fiasco fcuking personal,did mccarthy get the team to japan or korea ,??,no it was the captain KEANO who captained the Irish to japan ,,as keanosaid ,mich your a shite player,shite coach ,& your a fcuking english wanker

,all you lads dont know shite what goes on back home ,claiming to be Irish,scottish,english(welsh):rolleyes: but none of you lads have never even set a foot in any of the countries above

sid:cool:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
California Highway Patrol..........

Irish roots ,the whole fcuking world has them(Irish roots

I haven't got any Irish roots.

That I'll admit to.

I've played with Club Ireland a few times, does that make me eligible to (mis)manage Ireland. I've even stepped foot there.

And, as I write this, my feet are resting in England. How do you know the 'shite that goes on back home'? Particularly with the weight of that chip on your shoulder.....
:rolleyes:

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, all you fcukers pretending to be Welsh can fcuk right off cuz you don't know nothing about nothing at home and you're irish too and fcuk off because you've never been to Scotland and I know limericks and Ireland populated the whole world and Keano said so and engerlish are wankers.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0