Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The MWSL has just decided to change the rules....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
AGAIN at the last minute.........

I'm just wondering what others think of youth players coming up on permits? More specifically, is it wrong for a youth player to want to play in the MWSL, IF the player is going to benefit from it? Better yet, should there be an age restriction or does it matter as long as the player is good enough to play?

The 'board' decided that a player MUST be 17 by December 31,2005 in order to sign with a women's team OR even come up on a permit. This to me is horse shite and it is a SELFISH move by someone on the board. Jody-Ann Robinson comes to mind here, although the players we want to bring up aren't in her category. He is being told that she can't play for the UBC Alumni because she is too young. Is that what the National team said this summer?

"Sorry, Jodi-Ann, you're too young, even though you are strong enough physically to play at this level. Unlucky, love. When you turn 17, we might start looking at you. Until then, would you mind playing for the Richmond Silver 'A' U-17 squad, as that is only thing offered in Richmond? Cheers, love. "

This is a fcuking disgrace in my opinion and I was wondering what other TTPers thought of this 'new policy'. Of course, NONE of the teams were asked. I was made by the board, which VOTES ITSELF in or out every year. AGain, the rest of the teams have NO ****ing say in this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

spongebobhotpants

Aug 30, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
i thought you had to have parents permission/signature on the form to play if you were under 18,, must of missed the rule change -we had some players like that but of course they never turned out to be as good as jodi ann but hell if she can keep up with the old girls then let her play
bring her on

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a crap rule. Hell, a 12-year old should be allowed to play if she can cut it. Seriously, what should the ultimate goal be here? Let people play at the best opportunity for development.

(Just out of curiousity, what, if any, rules govern a similar situation in the VMSL?)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe Lang never really played youth ball at all...other than at the National level.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
This is a fcuking disgrace in my opinion and I was wondering what other TTPers thought of this 'new policy'. Of course, NONE of the teams were asked. I was made by the board, which VOTES ITSELF in or out every year. AGain, the rest of the teams have NO ****ing say in this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is this a shock to anyone, really? :rolleyes:
Is there really a need for a policy/rule book?
Every year the MWSL brings us more joy :rolleyes:

striker14

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
striker14 said:
Is this a shock to anyone, really? :rolleyes:
Is there really a need for a policy/rule book?
Every year the MWSL brings us more joy :rolleyes:

striker14

You guys ever meet or deal with the powers that be at the MWSL? Par for the course.

Bloodthirsty

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
The 'board' decided that a player MUST be 17 by December 31,2005 in order to sign with a women's team OR even come up on a permit.

Of course, NONE of the teams were asked. I was made by the board, which VOTES ITSELF in or out every year. AGain, the rest of the teams have NO ****ing say in this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Evening Captain. I know there are more than a few girls who didn't attend tryouts because they were playing MWSL. Surprise!!! They are screwed cuz they have missed tryouts, and can't find anywhere to play now.

Was this whole thing discussed at the AGM?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bloodthirsty said:
Evening Captain. I know there are more than a few girls who didn't attend tryouts because they were playing MWSL. Surprise!!! They are screwed cuz they have missed tryouts, and can't find anywhere to play now.

Was this whole thing discussed at the AGM?

No, it was NEVER addressed at the AGM and that is why this is a realy pain in the ass for a lot of people.........However, it hasn't been etched in stone yet...........

Bloodthirsty

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
No, it was NEVER addressed at the AGM and that is why this is a realy pain in the ass for a lot of people.........However, it hasn't been etched in stone yet...........

Ahhhh....I had heard of it being discussed at a meeting where the Premier teams were....apparently not the AGM. It's definitely a huge problem for some '89 players....hope it desn't get ugly.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have an email from Gord Rogers that youth players of any age may play on PERMIT. The age restriction applies to signings only. The idea of permits not being allowed concerned our club immensely, as it is a very important tool in a club's player development system. So we got clarification.

As for an age restriction, I have mixed feelings on it. As a person who was involved in the MWSL for many years and now the past three years with a very strong girls metro team, I have been somewhat concerned by the growing number of young players moving up to senior in their u17 and u18 years. It's just not the best place for them to develop, in my opinion.

I think the permit system is the ideal choice. If a youth player gets to play against or with one of the better premier teams on a regular basis they will benefit. But the overall competition in the Premier Division isn't that far ahead of the U18 division in many cases. Sorry - I know there will be some heavy disagreement with that but it's my opinion. Also, most premier teams train once per week, not twice. These kids need more training than that.

So, they can get called up on permit, which means they get to play against women, but they still get to play at the youth level where the training is more intense and the training options available to them are greater.

(And from a team perspective, why build a team around kids, when they won't be able to help you at nationals the next year because they're away at school. Doesn't make much sense. UBC Alumni has been doing this for the past few years and it hasn't worked for them.)

Having said that, players such as Jodi Ann Robinson and Sydney Leroux (who is a 1990) are exceptional circumstances and should be allowed to play Senior. Perhaps, there should be an exemption for national team players?

Anyhow, this should be an interesting debate. Like the national player rule the league implemented, this age restriction doesn't really take the big picture into account, and it particularly narrow-minded.

Fat Bastard. Out.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bloodthirsty said:
Ahhhh....I had heard of it being discussed at a meeting where the Premier teams were....apparently not the AGM. It's definitely a huge problem for some '89 players....hope it desn't get ugly.

Why are the Premier teams meeting to discuss things somwhere other than the AGM?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have an email from Gord Rogers that youth players of any age may play on PERMIT.

When did you receive this e-mail, Fatbastard? As of Thursday, Mr. Rogers had no knowledge of this 'rule'.

I agree with most of what you said, Fat Bastard, but disagree with the U-18 metro teams in general being stronger. There are generally a couple of teams who are better than they rest. Maybe the year you and I coached Burnaby and Richmond was aberration, but that year, the teams were exceptionally average. Even with the horrible team we were dealt, we managed to stay competitive with almost everyone.....

I also disagree that the training at the metro level is going to be better than the women's level. It really depends who is running the sessions for the youth and/or the women's teams. The rule should be consistent and shouldn't just be allowed for National players, because after all, we know how much politics plays in terms of who plays on our National teams. The best young players aren't always selected, and the age of the players has nothing to do with this.

Anyway, I have a strange feeling this might be overturned.........but we'll just have to wait and see. I hope for the PLAYERS sake, the rule is over-turned.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain...

Got the email from Gord two or three weeks ago. Again, he stated only that permits were allowed for any age. I guess we'll find out when somone goes to get a permit approved.

This is a very important issue to our club - Coquitlam City - as we have worked very hard to establish a club system for our girls/women that has been prevalent in boys/mens soccer for years.

BTW... I didn't coach in the same league as you ... I think you have me mixed up with golfcart. No matter. He'd feel the same way we do. This is not a good move. (I also don't think it's going to score any points with the National team coach.)

Oh, and also, the Premier-only meetings have been held a few times. And while I haven't been to them, I have heard that it's the Big Three against everyone else on almost every issue. But I suppose that's a given.

Best of luck to everyone in the new season. Cheers. FB. :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Captain...

Got the email from Gord two or three weeks ago. Again, he stated only that permits were allowed for any age. I guess we'll find out when somone goes to get a permit approved.

This is a very important issue to our club - Coquitlam City - as we have worked very hard to establish a club system for our girls/women that has been prevalent in boys/mens soccer for years.

BTW... I didn't coach in the same league as you ... I think you have me mixed up with golfcart. No matter. He'd feel the same way we do. This is not a good move. (I also don't think it's going to score any points with the National team coach.)

Oh, and also, the Premier-only meetings have been held a few times. And while I haven't been to them, I have heard that it's the Big Three against everyone else on almost every issue. But I suppose that's a given.

Best of luck to everyone in the new season. Cheers. FB. :D

Sorry, FBastard, I thought you coached the Burnaby team. My mistake. As I said, I'm hopeful they will reverse this decision for a lot of the reasons mentioned on here. Cheers.

otis

Apr 28, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Captain. Heres the other side of the coin. The team I coach (we came 3rd in Nationals in 2004 ) have lost 7 players to the MWSL since then and do you know why? because those players parents thought that little Sally will develop faster as a player in the MWSL than in the Metro system.My team is now U18.. at best because of the pilaging of our players to the MWSL we will be struggling to stay in the middle of the pack this year. What a bunch of B.S. I'm with Fat Bastard on most of his points. How do you think the BBY. Jazz team would have done in the Priemere Womens League this past year?I would have put money on top 3. Captain I'm talking about a U18 Metro team.It would be safe to say that those girls opted to stay with their team and.... OH MY GOD... they DEVELOPED in the Metro system. I say that the age should be 18 not 17!!! If those players that want to test their skill against players that have played or are playing at the National level,then let the MWSL coaches bring them up on PERMITS!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!! which Captain you are for.I am one for development. I would never hold back a player if they thought that playing women's soccer would DEVELOP them as a player faster ( which I don't agree on )..... But Captain honestly it was getting out of hand. My team was almost destroyed because of that jump.Sure the good players that opted to stay with us would have found a team to play for if we had folded , but what about the others.Talking to these kids parents they would have quit. There was and still are some excellent Metro soccer teams in our league, and hopefully, because of this new rule ( age 17 ) that that will be the case in years to come.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Otis is bang on. Permits should be the way to go. Youth players simply don't get the development in senior soccer that they do in the youth system, but the experience is a good one, and so the permit system works. And in a club system, it really builds that bridge that will ensure a strong senior program over the course of time, as opposed to the shelf life of a current group of players.

Having said that, clearly players like Jodi Ann Robinson (89), Sophie Schmidt (88), and even 89's like Sydney Leroux and Paige Adams are capable of playing in the MWSL.

Perhaps a youth player cap (u18 level or younger)? Two per team? One per team?

But again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of the permit system, and I do hope my info from Gord Rogers is indeed correct. (I certainly saved it, and will give to Jimmy Holiday in case he has any trouble bringing kids up for games.)

FB. Out.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
otis said:
Hey Captain. Heres the other side of the coin. The team I coach (we came 3rd in Nationals in 2004 ) have lost 7 players to the MWSL since then and do you know why? because those players parents thought that little Sally will develop faster as a player in the MWSL than in the Metro system.My team is now U18.. at best because of the pilaging of our players to the MWSL we will be struggling to stay in the middle of the pack this year. What a bunch of B.S. I'm with Fat Bastard on most of his points. How do you think the BBY. Jazz team would have done in the Priemere Womens League this past year?I would have put money on top 3. Captain I'm talking about a U18 Metro team.It would be safe to say that those girls opted to stay with their team and.... OH MY GOD... they DEVELOPED in the Metro system. I say that the age should be 18 not 17!!! If those players that want to test their skill against players that have played or are playing at the National level,then let the MWSL coaches bring them up on PERMITS!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!! which Captain you are for.I am one for development. I would never hold back a player if they thought that playing women's soccer would DEVELOP them as a player faster ( which I don't agree on )..... But Captain honestly it was getting out of hand. My team was almost destroyed because of that jump.Sure the good players that opted to stay with us would have found a team to play for if we had folded , but what about the others.Talking to these kids parents they would have quit. There was and still are some excellent Metro soccer teams in our league, and hopefully, because of this new rule ( age 17 ) that that will be the case in years to come.

Otis, excellent points, m8. I was talking to one of the board members today and he is totally in favour of the permits, no matter what the age. That is exactly what we're after. We're not trying to take these players away from their friends and teams. That can be damaging, like you mentioned. If a kid is allowed to come up on permits, it will be easy for the player to compare the levels. In our case, the two girls in question are in grade 11 and there coach has given his blessing for the girls to play for our team(s) periodically. I think this is a great chance for the girls to play more experienced players. Their team stays in tact and everyone appears to be happy.

As for your Burnaby Jazz comment, they were an aberration when it comes to Metro Girls teams. You get the odd 'super' team coming through the ranks but there definitely wasn't that when we were there a few years back(U-18). As Fat Bastard mentioned, perhaps an exemption for players who are playing Nationally, might be a compromise?????? I know they are discussing this on Wednesday and I really hope they allow the permits for all ages.......As for signing youth players up, it has to be in the best interest of the players, not the coach of the womens team or the youth team. I know how frustrating it must have been for you losing these players. I hope it all works out for you and your team, Otis. I have a feeling the league is not going to allow the signing of youth players younger than 17, but I hope and think they will have open permits.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Otis is bang on. Permits should be the way to go. Youth players simply don't get the development in senior soccer that they do in the youth system, but the experience is a good one, and so the permit system works. And in a club system, it really builds that bridge that will ensure a strong senior program over the course of time, as opposed to the shelf life of a current group of players.

Having said that, clearly players like Jodi Ann Robinson (89), Sophie Schmidt (88), and even 89's like Sydney Leroux and Paige Adams are capable of playing in the MWSL.

Perhaps a youth player cap (u18 level or younger)? Two per team? One per team?

But again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of the permit system, and I do hope my info from Gord Rogers is indeed correct. (I certainly saved it, and will give to Jimmy Holiday in case he has any trouble bringing kids up for games.)

FB. Out.

I talked to Gord Rogers today and he is all for the permits for any age. We'll see what happens on Wednesday.

I think a cap on the youth 'signings' might be workable. Perhaps two per club or something like that. Having said that, a team could lose 6 or 7 players, just by going to 3 or 4 clubs.........??????The team that Syndey Leroux plays on is dominant here. BTW, did they win Nationals this year? There are quite a few players who could play in the womens league BUT as FBastard mentioned, they've developed as a team over the last few years and it has been great to watch them the few times I was able to. This chemistry would obviously be tested, if several players made to move to womens, if they were allowed. A very tough question but to me, it seems like permits MIGHT be the only way to solve such a dilemma?????? :confused:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0