Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TTP Champions League - food for thought

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have spoken to a few of our LUFC teams and have interest from probably 4 at this point. There would perhaps be interest from 2 more if things look like they are getting more organized.

One benefit to having LUFC on board as a supporter would be fields. We would be able to offer up some field times, assuming some of our teams were competing. We have a small 5-6 person executive and can usually get things done with the support of the Nomads, Athletics, myself and our President who also sits on the FVSL board.

Let me know what I can do to help.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great,the more fields we get the better field times we will have and only have to use our crappy late night times as a last resort

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry i havent posted here in a while guys but I am swamped at work,,tis the season.
Havent done anything new really to report on but as soon as we get past this crappy time,(xmas) lol,,I get back on this.
Man is this time of year stressfull.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can only imagine Ghouse - even I went and got a haircut for the "season" - must be busy :D

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whats the point..no matter how great it is..if the VMSL doesnt get exactly what they want they wont do it anyways.
They already know they are the best so why waist time and money proveing it.
All the extra fields to rent,officials fees. And they would never want to travel to the Island. And we all know that they would have to have at least 6 of thier teams in the Champions league..and only want 1 from the FVSL and 1 from the Island.
They also would never want to help the Island and offset some of the travel costs.
We all know how much fun it would be..but the VMSL is haveing so much fun on thier own they would never want to let thier neighbours play with them. Unless it was on thier terms. Cause they have the greatest league around.

What everyone doesnt see is the BCPL is the Champions league.
Here is some more info I know because Im in the FVSL.
The whole Idea of the BCPL came about because of the Champions league idea.
How do you do a Champions league.?
Weekend Champion league games and midweek league games is logical because of travel.
Right?
How many teams to be fair? 4-3-3 .? I mean we all agree that the great league should have more..so whats fair...you may have more teams ,,,then you must pay more to offset travel..fair?
4.3.3 came about to keep costs closer for each league. To not put to much stress onto 1 league in particular at start up...to be fair.
and when starting up something new you want to be fair...
Strength of a team is not important because how good you are in April means nothing to how good you are 6 months later. (Nationals issue and just ask Sporting).
So now with 10 Champions teams what kind of schedule would you have....well even if you played each team just 1 time your playing 9 more games a season..each.
That with the regular season and domestic cups is a huge increase in yes money and i will give you the costs to add to your regular league fees...But first its a huge cost in time added to a crazy hectic season and time away from families already anyways.
To add not only 9 more games but at least 2 trips to the Island dureing a regular season with Midweek games and domestic Cup would yes be to much to ask anyone.
That with the increase of 5 more home field rentals 9 more game Officials fees and 2 trips to the island and a small fee to help offset Island travel..added ontop of what you already pay dureing a season does make it in some eyes a little to much for some clubs to handle financially.
Wait...that only the round robin part of the league...there is still the knock out round to play for those teams who have made it. More time and more expences for those teams to add in.
True we could have less teams in the Champions league..say 3.2.2 but no less. Do the math its still to much of a burden on those teams dureing the middle of the Winter season. 6 games still ,travel and time away from families and knock out rounds.
A little better perhaps but still dureing a season ,it truly is alot to ask of any club.

So the Idea of the BCPL was born. Instead of adding the costs and extra time to the season...why not just run the Champions league by its self. Separate. play each team 2 times home and away. As a Champions league really should be run. Less burden on teams financially and less time away from family.
Add in Promotion 1 from each league every year and Religation 3 teams to make room and you have a new BCPL or Champions league. Cost effective, less commitment and Uniteing Soccer in BC...Better for Soccer.
And then you have something to work with.
Something to approach sponsors with.
Something to sell to the soccer fans.
Something new and cool to build on.
To grow.

The Champions League and the BCPL are the same....Only the BCPL was thought threw and makes way more $ents.

Millar

Dec 23, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Polska,

I would love to see a Lower Mainland Champion's League put in place next winter. Problem is Azzi was always against it. This, if organized and promoted right from the start, would be maybe more beneficial for all involved, and help increase the profile of our local game.

Now, as far as numbers go, to get this Cup off and running, I think history, number of Premier teams in each league, and perceived strength of each league should be considered, to be fair.

This would be the format I'd like to see. First year: 8 Vmsl teams (7 from League and Imp. Cup winners) and 4 FVSL teams (3 from League and Pak. Cup winners). 4 Groups of Three. Round Robin, playing each team only once( to keep number of games played at a realistic number). Group winners advance to Semi-Finals, and then obviously the Final after that. Cards obtained in this Cup only are valid for this Cup, unless a major incident has taken place, where BC Soccer has to step in.

If a FVSL team won it they would earn 1 more spot in next year's Champion's League, while the VMSL would lose one. Then the Vmsl would have to try and earn that back. Follow that as the format, but put a Cap on the numbers at 8 and 4 so that neither league can exceed that limit either way.

This venture would take 15 Mid Week games total to achieve. Both leagues have fields mid-week that they hold onto for special circumstances. Also, I think it should be expected of ALL Premier teams from both leagues (whether they qualified or not) to be able to offer up a field time from their own practice use, to supply this venture so that there could be neutral site games as well. eg. My Delta team would be willing to give up JO for a night so that Poco and Inter could play one of their group games at our facility. We would probably have an early training session, and bring a cooler and watch. Thus giving this Cup some spectators. Some promoting hopefully would bring more.

This format also gives players some mid season excitement, instead of the monotonous 2 sessions a week, for 1 game on the weekend routine.

With these mid week games, coaches would have to start looking at bringing in youth call-ups, to give them a taste of senior football, all the while trying not to have their starting core fatigue as the season goes on. This allows the youths to see some "real minutes" in the Senior game, which hopefully will give them the hunger to want more.

A Format like this, if set up right and promoted right would achieve many things. 1) increase the profile of our local game, even if it is only on here for us to talk about 2) give players something to be excited about Mid-season. 3) narrow the gulf between the youth and senior game, if youth are indeed used. 4) And maybe most importantly will achieve Inter-League games without blowing up 3 separate leagues. 5) Minimize Costs.

One other thing that this would do, as opposed to the League proposal, is it would maintain the mystique and real sense of reward of the Provincial Cup. There is something to be said for the Mainland going up against the unknown of the Island at that time of year, and also the unpredictability of the FVSL against the "Big Bad VMSL" neigbours, where on any given day in a one-off Cup game, an upset can take place. If you ask players, it's just like hockey (and their playoffs), guys cannot wait for the Provincial Cup! If that other league happened, I think the lustre of the Provincials would lessen.

Just my two bits.

Millar

Dec 23, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk, I didn't know Ghouse was posting a long winded thing, and now I've done the same. I wish my wife was around today to ban me from here.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Polska,

I would love to see a Lower Mainland Champion's League put in place next winter. Problem is Azzi was always against it. This, if organized and promoted right from the start, would be maybe more beneficial for all involved, and help increase the profile of our local game.

Now, as far as numbers go, to get this Cup off and running, I think history, number of Premier teams in each league, and perceived strength of each league should be considered, to be fair.

This would be the format I'd like to see. First year: 8 Vmsl teams (7 from League and Imp. Cup winners) and 4 FVSL teams (3 from League and Pak. Cup winners). 4 Groups of Three. Round Robin, playing each team only once( to keep number of games played at a realistic number). Group winners advance to Semi-Finals, and then obviously the Final after that. Cards obtained in this Cup only are valid for this Cup, unless a major incident has taken place, where BC Soccer has to step in.

If a FVSL team won it they would earn 1 more spot in next year's Champion's League, while the VMSL would lose one. Then the Vmsl would have to try and earn that back. Follow that as the format, but put a Cap on the numbers at 8 and 4 so that neither league can exceed that limit either way.

This venture would take 15 Mid Week games total to achieve. Both leagues have fields mid-week that they hold onto for special circumstances. Also, I think it should be expected of ALL Premier teams from both leagues (whether they qualified or not) to be able to offer up a field time from their own practice use, to supply this venture so that there could be neutral site games as well. eg. My Delta team would be willing to give up JO for a night so that Poco and Inter could play one of their group games at our facility. We would probably have an early training session, and bring a cooler and watch. Thus giving this Cup some spectators. Some promoting hopefully would bring more.

This format also gives players some mid season excitement, instead of the monotonous 2 sessions a week, for 1 game on the weekend routine.

With these mid week games, coaches would have to start looking at bringing in youth call-ups, to give them a taste of senior football, all the while trying not to have their starting core fatigue as the season goes on. This allows the youths to see some "real minutes" in the Senior game, which hopefully will give them the hunger to want more.

A Format like this, if set up right and promoted right would achieve many things. 1) increase the profile of our local game, even if it is only on here for us to talk about 2) give players something to be excited about Mid-season. 3) narrow the gulf between the youth and senior game, if youth are indeed used. 4) And maybe most importantly will achieve Inter-League games without blowing up 3 separate leagues. 5) Minimize Costs.

One other thing that this would do, as opposed to the League proposal, is it would maintain the mystique and real sense of reward of the Provincial Cup. There is something to be said for the Mainland going up against the unknown of the Island at that time of year, and also the unpredictability of the FVSL against the "Big Bad VMSL" neigbours, where on any given day in a one-off Cup game, an upset can take place. If you ask players, it's just like hockey (and their playoffs), guys cannot wait for the Provincial Cup! If that other league happened, I think the lustre of the Provincials would lessen.

Just my two bits.

were u looking over my shoulder when i wrote my up?:D

fuk me they are close:eek:

Millar

Dec 23, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
One other thing, For the 4 groups of 3. No seeding. More upsets can occur. And the "underdog team" has a chance to possibly sneak in the back door, if the draw falls right for them. We're not College basketball. No seeding.

Millar

Dec 23, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Make sure she does your laundry, because when I played with you, you stained them quite often, and were generally MINGING!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Make sure she does your laundry, because when I played with you, you stained them quite often, and were generally MINGING!

at least you didn't make that sound too gay...

I'm with Ghouse on this one. It's all Regs' fault.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the season ended today

vmsl = 9 teams
consisting of:
premier winner and next 5 runners up (6)
promotion winners of div 1a and 1b (2)
imperial cup winner (1)
--------------------------------------------------

FVSL= 5 teams
premier winner and next 2 runners up (3)
Promotion winner of Div 1 (1)
Pak cup winner (1)

--------------------------------------------------

VISL = 2 teams
premier winner (1)
jackson cup winner (1)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars