Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Turf Fields

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we had a thread in one of the old incarnations of TTP that discussed the merits and pitfalls of all the turf fields popping up around the lower mainland.

I think it would be good to re-visit that discussion now, especially with so many cancelled games lately. Plus, I've just been informed that Surrey City Council have passed a motion to install an artificial surface at Newton this spring and SYSA
is to be very involved.

Personally I like playing on the turf, the new ones anyway, and think that if we're gonna keep on insisting to play throughout the winter, it's the only way to go.

~TB.

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Home Field Advantage

I think teams that train and play on the turf will develope a huge advantage. If an organization can offer year round fields to recruit youth players than the advantage is even greater. It would be great if every municipality made a field but I think that some are resistant to the idea of the cost. I for one would love to see Richmond install a couple.

Lean

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LEAN,

It's funny you say that b\c I heard from a fellow VMSL'er that Minoru will be installing Turf fields this summer??? He said he read
it in a Richmond News paper from a couple of days ago???

If this is true, I think they should leave the oval as grass and only play games there? Ideally, if the Richmond Premier and Div 1 teams were the only ones to play there then it would be in great shape!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ripping up any of the fields at Minoru would be waste. That complex, for the amount it is used, is some of the better grass available in the lower mainland. Yes, the new turf is nice, but if they want to install it somewhere, replace a field(s) that needs fixing.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Richmond Turf

Richmond will have some sort of artificial turf........but I don't know about Minoru. There is a theatre of sorts ( I believe that is what it is) going in at Silver City and the parking lot will have a astroturf or whatever there...........so in the winter it will be used for all weather soccer facilities.

John

To stay on topic........I like the turf too!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like the Turf, But it Doesn't Like Me

It is great for getting off of gravel for training, and out of the mud for games,
but after a game or practice your body feels like you have been run over.
Knees, leg muscles, and back are sore from the turf because it doesn't have any give to it.

It is not bad, when wet, but playing on it when dry is brutal.

I think it is great for training, if you are carefull, but in a game when you go full out, people are going to come away hurt and very sore the next day.

If you are TR or knvb, it is not bad because you can sit at a computer all day, but some poeple have to work.

But if we want to play winter soccer, I think we need the turf fields, hopefully the companies coming out with the turf can find ways to improve on the technology of the stuff.

Side Note: The Turf has a life of about 10 years before it has to be pulled out, re-laid with new sand and rubber pellets.

I have heard that a field in the States had to be re-done after only a few years, due to compaction of the Sand and Rubber pellets.

It is new so the companies are learning as they go.

Does anyone have a opinion on which is better, Bby. (Field Turf) or SportsTown (Sprint Turf).

HOSlikesoldTurfinSlurry

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gravel sucks

The Turf no matter how hard it is on the joints it's still 100% better than the gravel pitches. If you fall on turf no biggie especially if you have on a much Vaseline as HOS. Bail on gravel and look forward to a painful couple of days.

I can see how training on turf could throw a keeper off though. Soft landings and true bounces I know that can be a nightmare......:rolleyes:

I have heard rumblings about Cloverdale/Surrey (not Newton) also getting a turf pitch. I'm sure by the time that happens I'll be as old as Regs and ready to call it a career. ;)

HOSactuallymademelaughwiththeworkbit:D

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf Fields!

This is kinda long winded, but worth reading in regards to some of the problems with turf fields. We practice on the one in N Van, and do agree that you feel it afterwards, but still think we need more.

I came across some of this info on turf fields, when doing research for the NSCL, as you may know 1 of the N Van fields is a complete f@#k up. Read the Oregon Lawsuit Info , this basically talks about the compaction of the turf ( to hard). The 2 big US companies are involved in a pissing match about copyright infringements, the second company's site just to be fair. Field turf was awarded the Canadian patent, they then turned around and sued the University of Laval and the City of Montreal. Thet are seeking removal of a competitors turf, which depending on, court rulings, could the North Van projects..

Sorry if i am of topic.

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

I've played on both and the Sprint Turf at Sportstown seems to be softer........maybe it's b\c it's not played on as much as the Burnaby turf but it seems that the Sprint turf has longer strands of fake grass hence more pellets.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
two and a half cents worth

Burnaby = sand and pellet based
Sprinturf = pellet based

Burnaby = sore - ouch - just ask the Whitecaps players that were in physio right after training on the shite

Sprinturf = sore, only because of the arena's 'give-in' places (and I know them well)

Zeus, rumour has it, we may see more than just Minoru. After training there for two decades, it just wouldn't be the same. Hopefully they'll fix the track before they go on to the pitch. (Maybe they could use the red crushed pellets from the track to compliment turf for the oval...:confused:

I agree with you there Knvb. Gravel does suck, especially when you play at a school pitch just after the kids build a 'gavel castle' in the middle of the 18 yd box.:(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We need it

If we continue to insist on a winter season, we need it. All in all, both turfs are leaps and bounds improvements over the old astroturf they use at Livingston.

Can't wait untill NAP gets it! I know the club has been lobying it for quite some time.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing is like playing on natural grass, nothing!!!!

I have played on several turf fields over the years and years, empire included (which was absolute shite). I do not mind playing on the new turf, it's still hard on old legs. The after game soda's help.

5btlikesNaturalgrassifyouknwwhatImean:D

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Empire Stadium

5BT, wasn't that old piece of shite just carpet layed over top of concrete??? I was just a weein when my Dad played on it in the early-mid 80's (back in the Glory days of Belfast United), but I remember him moaning and groaning after a match... saying how everything just hurts from essentially pounding on concrete!!! Wow how far we have come!!!:rolleyes:

ifa

Jan 31, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you guys had to play at that fcukin shite North Surrey every other weekend like we do, so I say bring on the turf pitches.

THATS JUST MY THOUGHT!

ifa.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How Far We Have Come???!!!

Turf is Shite!!!!

We haven't gotten anywhere in the last 35 years when it comes to turf. Other than the cushion of the undersurface, Astroturf and this shite is still the same.
Facts:
1. The ball still runs on you.
2. Your feet still get caught in it.
3. There is still no give when it comes to planting and turning.
4. Rug burns are still the norm
5. Everyone is sore after.
6. It is still 140 degrees on the surface in the summer.
7. Injures are still more common relative to grass.

Yes, it is better than gravel for practicing, but when was the last time you blew out your knee on gravel. I think the solution is to practice on these shite surfaces when the competitiveness is toned down a notch and only use the grass for weekend games.

I predict that in 15 - 25 years companies will improve GRASS quality and the turf will be put away for good.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf VS Grass

I would rather play on grass, then play on field turf the second choice. Gravel is not fun.:(
BTW whataboutbob, early Jan in North Van, where it rains so much there are streams of water running through the pitch, causing gulleys. Well I got caught, I did blow my knee out. The first fcuking time I've ever done it. :mad:

Grass is the best. Maintaining them seems to be a problem with money and priority especially here with Vancouver Parks Board. Drainage is also a problem, a touch of rain turning most parks quickly into quagmires.

So field turf may cost a large initial investment (& then some for those on the North Shore:rolleyes: )but the maintenance is low.

If most of our seasons are in the region of 20+ games. I think if we all could play 70% on grass, 30% on turf, we could make most happy.

The way I see it, you either spend the money on the grass and its upkeep or bite the bullet and put your money in your pocket to play on field turf.
OR when it starts to rain just a little, cancel the whole weekends games... OH that's what already happens:p

something has to be done

hedKandi

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rivers of Water

Hedkandi,

North Van sucks when it comes to rainfall. When I was in youth, one of those streams on the gravel pitch started taking the ball away as we warmed up! The ref called the game.:D

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is as good a place as any for this. Here's some info that was that was blasted out by Suzanne Anton, the new NPA candidate for Vancouver Park Board -- interesting to say the least:
The road to the 2003 - 2005 capital plan has been arduous but ultimately fairly satisfactory for sports fields. The plan approved by the Park Board last night to go to the voters in November included:

1. $1.2 million for grass playing fields ($400,000 deep tyning program
and $800,000 field repair and improvements),
2. $2.9 million for 2 new quality all-weather surfaces (ie infill field turf soccer fields).

Colin Metcalfe, myself and Jeff Malmgren appeared before the Board last
night to thank them for the work and the successful plan. Full details
can be found at http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/20.htm.

We are pleased with several aspects of this process:
1. The attention payed to grass fields is good - these are the backbone of our system and everyone's preferred surface.
2. Both the City of Vancouver and the Park Board have unanimously supported the concept of the all-weather fields as the needed ingredient in new field development.

One further interesting note - during the last election there was little mention of playing fields, we had been too quiet. Now everyone is referring to them. So good for us, VFSF members! It has been our presence and lobbying which has put sports fields squarely on the Park Board agenda.

Suzanne Anton
VP, Vancouver Field Sport Federation
AND, as of Weds night, NPA candidate to the Vancouver Park Board
Comments?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Colin Metcalfe

I guarantee Colin has had a lot to do with this, behind the scenes. Be sure to thank him and buy him a beer for all the sweat he's put in for Soccer players in vancouver.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0