Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter December 07'

Tommy Johnson

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do agree that each team should play eachother twice. Having two sides A and B is just stupid. I hope the league sees this and changes it. At the end of the season, you can truly say which team is the strongest and which is the weakest.

So which is it then? One weak group with 14 teams or a super competitive league with 12 maybe even 10 teams like it used to be. No sense in having weak a$$ teams for the first half of the season waiting for players to come back from school to save them like AFC or Westside. One group with 11 teams, play each team twice. A team at the top of that will have really earned it then.

jinchu

Sep 30, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
No sense in having weak a$$ teams for the first half of the season waiting for players to come back from school to save them like AFC or Westside. One group with 11 teams, play each team twice. A team at the top of that will have really earned it then.

totally agree with you

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This has already been decided. Next season there will be 12 teams in Premier and everyone plays each other twice.

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
So which is it then? One weak group with 14 teams or a super competitive league with 12 maybe even 10 teams like it used to be. No sense in having weak a$$ teams for the first half of the season waiting for players to come back from school to save them like AFC or Westside. One group with 11 teams, play each team twice. A team at the top of that will have really earned it then.

Just an observation, but isn't the first half of the season over? I don't believe that Westside is in the position to be relegated......(yet):rolleyes: and AFC's resurgence has already began. The team that Westside fields will be our team at the end of the season so unless you have anyone to throw our way to 'save' us, you are going on history. Who's going to 'save' Indo, Metro-Ford, Sapperton...?
You obviously haven't been out to many of Westside's games. I don't think any of our opponents would call us weak a$$.
Bottom line is that anyone can beat anyone in this league, but do agree that two sides is a bit unnecessary.

Cheers

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier should be down to 12 teams. Although the games have been competitive this year, making the Division 12 teams will only increase the competition next year.

It will be interesting playing next year with 12 strong teams. Relegation should be even more interesting.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about shrinking Premier down to 10 teams?

12 teams = 22 season games, plus Imperial Cup, plus Provincials

I think it's too many games.

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually I agree. 10 teams would be even better. With a 22 game season, plus all the Cup games etc that you mentioned, it get's to be too long of a season.

I guess we will see how everyone feels after a long season next year....

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hate playing all these games too. Who joins a soccer league to play games anyway? It's all about training twice a week in the rain that makes me hang on.

If you want to improve the league work on a proper bloody schedule so we're not ramming 14 & 15games in before Christmas on turf then sitting around for 4 weeks with nothing to do while the sun shines and we wait for cup games to start.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The one problem with 10 teams is that all teams not being relegated make the provincials (barring Imperial Cup "upsets").

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, good point, I never looked at it from that point of view.

However, in a 10 team league, I don't think there would be much disparity between the teams, so you would probably have teams that were going down that would make the Provincial Cup.

Would look funny, no doubt, seeing a relegated team playing in the Provincials.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a 10 team league 1 team is going down and 1 coming up. VMSL gets 8 spots for Provincials no? 4 from top of the league and 4 determined from Imp Cup play.

I am unclear where the issue is with 10 teams in Premier...top 4 in the league are in Provincials and the other 6 Premier teams fight with all of the Div 1 teams for the 4 remaining spots. That means a team being relegated from Premier could be one of those 4 if they go on a cup run. It could also mean a Div 1 team that's not in the promotion race could also get one. All moot no?

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like the 12 team format... 22 league games.

Next year, I hope the card suspensions are reviewed, though. 3 cards in 22 games is hardly worth being suspended for. I would like to see an expiry of cards after a period of time...

Dizou

Nov 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another problem is the timing of the league, Columbus were nearly unbeatable last April/May, but going to Nationals 6 months later they seemed like a totally different team (also represented in the standings so far).

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nationals should be played in May, at the start of the rest of the country's season, than they can wait for 8 months before nationals.

I am sure we can stop the Larsson Machine if we play in May and not October, make it happpen Azzi.

hos

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some very interesting points. Gomesy, Just because you had a meeting last season and decided on something, does not mean it is written in stone. If the changes are good for the game, then the meetings should be happening every year and not just every 5 years.
12 teams Premier division sounds pretty good.

As for AFC or Westside being weak teams, this is rubbish. Even with their 'incomplete' squads, AFC can still stay in Premier. Westside has proven to be a quality side. And as far as I know the season is over when all the games are played and not just after the half point.

I believe some Premier teams, are stuck to the old ways, (where only certain teams are suppost to be playing in Premier). New Premier teams that came from Div 1 in recent times, such as Westside, Delta, Norvan, even AFC are proving that they are as good as 'old' Premier teams.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem with "new" footballers to the premier league is they have no clue what went on before they arrived. Respect is seriously lacking in every department. Making suggestions is great, but put them to use by attending something you may not get recognised and applauded for! TTP is one thing, but to always criticise and never be part of the solution is an unfortunate reality the "old" players are being subjected to call teammates. I've yet to see a quality "young " side (in recent years) stick around with teammates after matches. They always seem to be in a hurry to go over to their girlfriends house right after the match!
said by:Robino
Just because you had a meeting last season and decided on something, does not mean it is written in stone.
Actually, it does... That's why they have an annual meeting to decide things for the upcoming season. Hence the term "AGM", the sole purpose is to give the membership a chance to vote on decisions that are being made throughout the league!

Why do I feel the need to point out the obvious? :rolleyes:

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Robino do your homework.

The meeting this past summer was the AGM, (Annual General Meeting). It happens every year. Every team had a vote on it and it is happening. I think most teams in Premier would like to see the division go back to 10 teams, but that is highly unlikely because of the trickle down effect and the teams in lower divisions won't vote in favour of that. Essentially, you'd have some current division 1 teams playing in division 3. We need to look at this as what is better for the league, not what's better for each team.

Sporting's been in Premier for about 6 seasons now. We were lucky to stay up the first year, but have made some big strides since then. There's no "old boys club" in the division, it's just the the bigger clubs usually have a youth system to draw from and you need youth for longevity.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn you Guinness. You beat me to it!

I thought I was the only one who felt like he's been banging his head against a wall.

darkmeat

Apr 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
does anybody see why we have to rush back to play jan 4,5,6?? we are on pace to finish league and cup play in the 1st week of march. that gives teams a month and a half off before provincials commence. nevermind the teams that don't do well in imperial and the league. they could be done in february.
give us an extra week off for the christmas break, so we can eat and drink lots!

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree darkmeat.

Last year, we had 4 weeks off before Provincials. Sure it was nice to get healthy again, but we were rusty as hell.

We should have at least one more week off for the Xmas break. Or get the teams with less games played to make one up that week.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0