Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL rumours and various scuttlebutt

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, I heard Smiles looked very good vs Sapp...

Drew
Mike Franks
Sheppy

3 high quality keepers, an embarrassment of riches for SU there me thinks!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2010 Sapperton Rovers Update

PoCo FC and Sapperton Rovers have an agreement for a working relationship between the clubs for the upcoming season. If all goes well, it will be a permanent relationship.

Thomas Mills (President & coach of PoCo FC and current President of the FVSL - pending tonight's AGM) will be coaching the VMSL Premier team. We are in the works to find a coach for the PoCo Premier squad. The 2 Masters' teams will still be independent.

The 2 clubs will also be teaming up with the Burnaby Selects Youth club to form a new U-21 team. Players from this team, as well as the occasional U-18 player will be called up to the Sapp Premier and PoCo Div 1 and Premier squads (youth only). The Selects are a very strong youth club and this will help with the long-term viability of the new club.

A VMSL Div 1 team is in the works for the 2011-12 season.

Our goal is to have various levels of competition for both club's current players to play against. There will be some movement of players, and most likely, attrition, as some will not like the move. But U-21 call-ups and player movement from other teams will compensate for the losses.

Ultimately, I will be losing a lot of control of the club that I, Don Smith, and Kevin Hearne founded back in 1994, but it's a necessary step to move the club forward with long-term stability and success.

Very excited about the years to come!:)

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
2010 Sapperton Rovers Update

PoCo FC and Sapperton Rovers have an agreement for a working relationship between the clubs for the upcoming season. If all goes well, it will be a permanent relationship.

Thomas Mills (President & coach of PoCo FC and current President of the FVSL - pending tonight's AGM) will be coaching the VMSL Premier team. We are in the works to find a coach for the PoCo Premier squad. The 2 Masters' teams will still be independent.

The 2 clubs will also be teaming up with the Burnaby Selects Youth club to form a new U-21 team. Players from this team, as well as the occasional U-18 player will be called up to the Sapp Premier and PoCo Div 1 and Premier squads (youth only). The Selects are a very strong youth club and this will help with the long-term viability of the new club.

A VMSL Div 1 team is in the works for the 2011-12 season.

Our goal is to have various levels of competition for both club's current players to play against. There will be some movement of players, and most likely, attrition, as some will not like the move. But U-21 call-ups and player movement from other teams will compensate for the losses.

Ultimately, I will be losing a lot of control of the club that I, Don Smith, and Kevin Hearne founded back in 1994, but it's a necessary step to move the club forward with long-term stability and success.

Very excited about the years to come!:)

This strikes me as a very odd partnership. How does this help the Poco team in any way...other than to satisfy their coach's desire to be in the vmsl?

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This strikes me as a very odd partnership. How does this help the Poco team in any way...other than to satisfy their coach's desire to be in the vmsl?

Come on Reedie.......this allows Poco into the BCPL.....oops sorry.....VMSL.

I am very surprised that Mills would join the VMSL after his published letter, ongoing dislike and criticism of the league. Yep, sounds like there was no hidden agenda behind the insistence of the BCPL. :rolleyes:

Ghouse, you are more than welcome to "partner" with a promoted VMSL Division 1 team that you beat pretty convincingly in exhibition last season. Contact, if interested.

Gilly

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come on Reedie.......this allows Poco into the BCPL.....oops sorry.....VMSL.

I am very surprised that Mills would join the VMSL after his published letter, ongoing dislike and criticism of the league. Yep, sounds like there was no hidden agenda behind the insistence of the BCPL. :rolleyes:

Ghouse, you are more than welcome to "partner" with a promoted VMSL Division 1 team that you beat pretty convincingly in exhibition last season. Contact, if interested.

Gilly

I understand that Gilly but what will happen to the Poco team that is left behind in the FVSL? Essentially, they will become a reserve team for the vmsl team because all the best players will migrate to the better league. Basically, the Poco team in the FVSL has just been decimated.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why will players all go and play in the VMSL?? I don't see it as any different from the FVSL really, the standard of soccer certainly isn't any different.

What's going to happen to the Sapperton players?

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I understand that Gilly but what will happen to the Poco team that is left behind in the FVSL? Essentially, they will become a reserve team for the vmsl team because all the best players will migrate to the better league. Basically, the Poco team in the FVSL has just been decimated.
From what I understand, that will not be the case by any means. Every person in the Sapperton club, and from what I gather, the PoCo club, have been kept in touch by their club executive every step of the way for the past few weeks or so. Some have expressed the desire to stay where they are, thus PoCo will still be a good team, not a decimated one. Some have expressed interest in coming to the Metro and everyone I have talked to at Sapp are excited about the injection of new players.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, not a piss take :)

It's only going on what I have seen (which isn't a lot granted - maybe next year my eyes will be opened, I only got here November last year).

From what I have seen, the top 3-4 teams of each premier could all beat each other on their day, no??

VMSL may have more quality near the bottom of the table but at the top I didn't see much, if not any, difference in quality.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone from VMSL :(

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, not a piss take :)

It's only going on what I have seen (which isn't a lot granted - maybe next year my eyes will be opened, I only got here November last year).

From what I have seen, the top 3-4 teams of each premier could all beat each other on their day, no??

VMSL may have more quality near the bottom of the table but at the top I didn't see much, if not any, difference in quality.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone from VMSL :(

No offense taken here!

When you surmise that the top 3-4 could beat each other on any given day I would say no. The top FVSL teams can beat the bottom of the table VMSL teams on occasion but more often than not VMSL > FVSL.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
IN only the premier division.

My FVSL D2 team has handily beat VMSL Div 1 sides in the past.

berg is right: The top crop of VMSL Prem teams easily handle the best FVSL Prem teams when they play come provicnials etc save the odd blip here and there in the past few years I think PAU or LUFC might have beat a VMSL team in the first rd of the BC's in the past and that's about it... again IIRC...

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, well from the teams I have seen (can't compare the league as only seen handful of teams) there is little if any difference. It's only my opinion, and you have yours, that's fine.

VMSL teams I've seen play are: Surrey, West Van, Westside, Norvan, Croatia.

FVSL teams I have seen are: PoCo, ACBC, Peach Arch, Port Moody.

I have seen more of VMSL than FVSL but really I could not see a distinct difference in quality between these teams. Individually, ACBC had the most skillful players out of all the teams I had seen in winter, but didn't always use it at the right times to their advantage. West Van looked organised, in great shape, and strong, technically though, they didn't impress when I watched.

The margin is so tight between the leagues, saying VMSL is better is scrapping the barrel to say the least, but if you are involved in VMSL you are bound to be bias :D

I think there should be some sort of BC Premier League :rolleyes:

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
IN only the premier division.

My FVSL D2 team has handily beat VMSL Div 1 sides in the past.

berg is right: The top crop of VMSL Prem teams easily handle the best FVSL Prem teams when they play come provicnials etc save the odd blip here and there in the past few years I think PAU or LUFC might have beat a VMSL team in the first rd of the BC's in the past and that's about it... again IIRC...

Provincials don't prove a lot to be honest. Cups are completely different to the league.

Anyone can cause an upset in a cup.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's more unlikely to have an upset in cup, as players build all year for that, whereas if ACBC and Surrey Yoo played an evening friendly on a midweek ACBC is more likely, imho, to win as they are the ones with everything to gain by winning said meaningless game.

It might be your opinion, but it's not based on fact... The FVSL hasn't sent anyone really deep in BC's in quite a long time IIRC, and that right there is proof enough of the quality of the top tier of Prem teams from the various leagues... The VMSL have 3-4 really strong teams, the FVSL has 1 or 2 that are a step behind the top end VMSL teams, the VISL has one beast of a team and then are largely similar or slightly behnd to the FVSL. The results are what they are...

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our club plays more Inter league games than anyone infact we have played almost everyone in the last 2 years in league or friendlies/cup/tournaments.
I also take in at least 2 games a week from the VMSL.
The VMSLs top 4/5 Premier clubs are better than all the FVSL Premier clubs for sure....After that its all even all the way down to div 3.(some better some not)

I say good luck to Thomas as he gets his feet wet over in the VMSL and wish Sapperton all the best as most Sap guys are my good friends...Go Germany!

Im not sure how this will all work but Thomas loves his POCO team so I cant see them being abandoned...I am sure they know what they are doing and I will be checking the paperwork to make sure players moved are moved correctly and within the rules..LOL (kidding).
Attaboy Thomas get your foot in the door.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0