Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps FC to MLS? Nash on board?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2763773826_89ecf07a12.jpg

looks done and dusted...rumours are swirling everywhere that Vancouver is definately getting the nod in the next weeks/months

the link above was provided to the V's board by a total forum troll who has been plaguing the board with nonsensical drivel about how the developers that are competing for the BC PavCo Lands are going to kill the retractable roof, but I digress...

An announcement will probably be made shortly...watch this space.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tell me I'm not the only one to google Bill Archer Soccer? Almost makes the rest of that "article" seem 'doctored'...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regardless, MLS rumours is reporting...
REPORT: Two USL Cities Have Been Selected for MLS Expansion
Monday, August 11, 2008

According to this email we just received that would be the case:

Hello,

I have some potential news regarding MLS' next round of expansion. This isn't a lot of new information, per se, but maybe you can keep it mind if you hear other stories. My sources are linked to the Atlanta and Portland expansion bids, but I ask that you keep my name and e-mail out of this.

I will be sure to pass on any other information I come across.

My sources are adamant that the expansion teams have already been determined. Atlanta missed out. No word on Portland. What I have been able to learn is that both cities chosen have USL1 franchises and that the existing USL clubs have allegedly signed non-compete agreements that will see the existing teams dropped to USL2 or lower, effective 2011. One of the cities is "a terrible choice."

In other words, it's two from Vancouver, Portland and Montreal. Sorry, St. Louis and Ottawa.

And of course whatever he passes on to us we will pass onto you.

MLS Rumors - For the time between the games: REPORT: Two USL Cities Have Been Selected for MLS Expansion

keep in mind the damn mls rumours guys are basically a bunch of shitebags that hate everything westcoast and have eastern america-itis.

That being said their rumours have a very high success rate...We all know the Soccer community is small-ish in North America and players/management/pundits/punters all travel in the same circles...

I'm prone to thinking, at least on this one anyways, where there is smoke there is fire.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver & Portland would be great...

Western Division

Vancouver Whitecaps
Seattle Sounders
Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes
LA Galaxy
LA Chivas

Get the Galaxy to change their name to the Aztecs, move the Chivas to San Diego and rename to the Sockers and I can try and drag out all the old NASL pennants (if I still have them)

:D

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regardless, MLS rumours is reporting...

keep in mind the damn mls rumours guys are basically a bunch of shitebags that hate everything westcoast and have eastern america-itis.

That being said their rumours have a very high success rate...We all know the Soccer community is small-ish in North America and players/management/pundits/punters all travel in the same circles...

I'm prone to thinking, at least on this one anyways, where there is smoke there is fire.

The rumour mentions the current USL-1 team dropping leagues, would the current version of the Whitecaps stick around? Wouldn't they just, in effect, turn in to the MLS team (with some obvious talent additions)?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, but will likely cease ops for one year, once accepted usually a non compete comes in since the USL and MLS are not the same entity.

The residency would likely go USL 2 or stay PDL...untill such a time they could join the MLS reserves.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rummers are Montreal and St Luie are in. AQulinni pan is at higher level than the plan Caps represented. It remains to be seen.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huge news just heard on Sportsnet......Montreal withdrew their application for the MLS..something about the $40mil fee yo get in....Vancouvers chances just got better

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to give Montreal credit. The owner is a very smart guy. To step in to American MLS league now. You would have to be bit dumb. First of all you can lose fifty percent of yor money over night. In my opinion, Vancouver shoould do the same. This way more Canadian kids would play soccer at home. Nash could always add a A league club in Victoria. Saputo could add a club in Halifax and a New guy a club in Edmonton or Calgary. With a low risk our kids would have a place to play. It is a big risck to take now. To go to MLS. Keap Canada Canadian.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0