Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps FC to MLS? Nash on board?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They have gone on record as stating BC Place will be home until such a permanent Soccer Specific Stadium is built.

I thought I read somewhere that all MLS teams will be requiredto be housed in a SSS.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They have gone on record as stating BC Place will be home until such a permanent Soccer Specific Stadium is built.

I thought I read somewhere that all MLS teams will be requiredto be housed in a SSS.

I read that too, it's for expansion teams. Which would mean the stadium would have to be a go before MLS gives us a team. The CEO went on record saying BC Place would be suitable as a temporary home while a SSS is being built.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well well if we get in look out. Here we go again. Twenty five to thirty five thousand watching the games. All Nash has to do is Bring Giggs here o lord what fun that would be. Getting in is nort easy. If we do get in city will let us build SSS. Somewhere down town Vancouver. Better place would be next to the old CN station. People from Valley could hop on train or sky train. And coast would go down alot. It would also help develop that part of the town.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If there was any doubt about the quality of the Canucks current ownership all you have to do is read this comment in The Province today. Aquilini I don't think has had SFA to do with soccer in Vancouver but if this is true he might have end ran the Whitecaps to let the MLS know he wants a franchise. Now you know why this guy got sued after buying the Canucks out from under Beedie and Gaglardi. While the courts found nothing wrong with it, it certainly speaks to the ethics and character of Aquilini that he'd do that to his former pals without a heads up or to the Whitecaps owner this time out. Now this may be speculation but if true it says something about his character. Hey, it's business and his query on the MLS franchise is fine if this is what took place. He owes nothing to Kerfoot who has put his money into the Caps and a few other soccer related donations.

Who'd you rather have? Nash-Kerfoot or Aquilini?

Aquilini Eyes Mls Bid

The Whitecaps may not be the only group pursuing a MLS franchise here: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is interested, too page a63
The Province
Published: Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those were my thoughts exactly when I read the article this morning. It must be somewhat attractive for Kerfoot to get in bed w/ this guy, from a development standpoint, but I wouldn't trust him w/ a 10' pole.

Maybe Kerfoot should see about getting in bed w/ Beedie and Gaglardi instead.

Mr. X

Nov 29, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still not convinced Aquilini is a good owner for the canucks and would hate to see him edge out the Kerfoot-Nash group for a MLS team. It's true he owes nothing to Kerfoot but if he somehow succeeded in landing a MLS team and put Kerfoots group out in the cold I think he may be setting himself up for being one of the most despised owners in sports.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thats what going to happen. Anywhere they can make a coin they will go for it. Aquilini's have many friends in soccer in BC. They are good for Canucks and Canucks will be a better club with them. It will be no nosence buisness with them. Do your job or you will go. And that is what we need here. They have the money to build the SSS pitch and to buy the spot in the MLS. It is just do they want part of it. MlS could use Vancouver
because Vancouver will be just like Toronto FC. twenty thousand plus at each game.
Kelowna and Victoria are both big enough to run an A league clubs. That could be part of our National U20 development and a feeder system to MLS and Europe. The more pople we have fighting for a spot the better for soccer in BC and Canada. I still say St Luis and Montreal will be the next two clubs in. Vancouver has to have SSS place to play in before the get the spot.

sacko

Dec 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wouldn't surprise me in the least regarding Aquilini and his end around. One might remember how good old Senior Aquilini started the family business, I believe he was well known as being one of the biggest slum landlords in the city.

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's a Letter I wrote today to MLS Commissioner Don Garber on behalf of Friends of Soccer:

Dear Commissioner Garber,

My name is Bill Currie, and I'm the founder of the Friends of Soccer movement in Vancouver, BC. Since October, 2005, our group has been successful in mobilizing thousands of citizens to support the Vancouver Whitecaps' efforts to build a downtown waterfront stadium. Today, I am writing to let you know that we are throwing our complete support solely behind the efforts of Greg Kerfoot, Steve Nash, and Bob Lenarduzzi to bring Major League Soccer to Vancouver for 2011.

I believe Vancouver's long history of soccer culture, along with the positive vision of the current Whitecaps organization, creates a natural fit for MLS. Vancouver has always supported top level soccer in one form or another since the early 1900's. I believe the arrival of MLS holds the potential to match or even surpass the popularity of the Whitecaps from their NASL era. Mr. Kerfoot and Mr. Lenarduzzi have been generous and responsible operators of the current Whitecaps organization, and their continued success in MLS would be a great asset to the league and to soccer in North America as a whole. With Greg Kerfoot, Steve Nash and Bob Lenarduzzi at the helm, Major League Soccer's success in Vancouver would be virtually guaranteed.

While business interests are important, soccer is, above all else, about building community. On this front, the Whitecaps have gone well beyond the call of duty as servants of the game. They have built fields and training facilities. They've created a development system throughout the entire province of British Columbia. They provide free soccer clinics to youth throughout the city. They've generously funded and supported women's soccer all the way to Canada's national team. Best of all, their outreach has created a level of harmony between the amateur and professional game here that has never existed before. They are outstanding citizens who have built tremendous goodwill in our soccer community and our city. This level of goodwill would take years to recreate with any other potential ownership group for MLS expansion. In short, I believe good citizens make good owners.

We hope that you'll grant soccer fans in B.C. our wish to see the Whitecaps take on the best of MLS in BC Place come 2011. Vancouver would be excited and honoured to become part of Major League Soccer. To resurrect the Whitecaps under Greg Kerfoot, Steve Nash and Bob Lenarduzzi would put the league's success in Vancouver in safe hands.

Yours in Sport,
Bill Currie
Friends of Soccer

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice letter Friends of Soccer. You make the case for the good guys and don't attack the end run dude. Nicely done.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That being said, maybe some private citizens should crawl into the gutter for a letter or two to discredit the end run dude.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for posting that Bill.

Wow, what devastating comments by Dhaliwal :eek:

He is just saying what we are all thinking, but that amazes me that he would have the guts to go on the air and rip the owner of the Canucks. Dan Russell and Bob Addison must be over the moon with how easy they will have life with TC Carling booking guests to their show from the Canucks Organization now :rolleyes:

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saco that's not needed now.How Mr Franck Aquilini started here has got nothing to do with Whitecaps. As a guy that came over from Italy and started from zero he did dam good in last fourty years. There is many slam landlords and same goes for people renting.Some are very good and some are not. As far as Aquilinies getting in with Whatecaps thats good. Now we have all three sides pushing forward. Soccer has to grow here. We have far many kids here they need a place to play. And most of all they must be able to earn living from the sport. It is a good thing for soccer here. Legend will stay on as a manager. Even doe he was the worse soccer player. "Cheers"

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLS must love the fact that 2 rich owners are willing to bring soccer to this city. St.Louis was a lock to get a team but have been unable to find a single owner. Two bids bolds well for Vancouver.

And if Vancouver does get a team, do we keep the whitecaps as the franchise name? A new name might market better. Also, FC or SC?

Side note, if Sonics do move to Oklahoma, the name will be chosen out of the following: Energy, Wind, Barons, Bison, Thunder, Marshalls. The Wind so far has the highest support. All are bad choices.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Devastating comments? Was he reading from a teleprompter as the host of SNL? Painful delivery :D

Is it confirmed that Aquilini is putting in a separate bid?

Wouldn't put it past certain Vancouver media-types to not do their homework re: any.

Get the Kurtenbloggers on it!

Seriously.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I could see Aquillini trying to backdoor things again. He did it once, and got away with it.

Kerfoot needs to stay as far away from him as possible. From Nash's comments the other day though, it sounds like a forgone conclusion...Not a matter of if, just when.

@ bex@spice: IF Kerfoot/Nash bid is the only one at the moment, and it sounds like it is, the name will be the same...Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dhaliwal's delivery has always been brutal, especially since he started imitating Neil MacRae. It is very obvious in the way he now handles himself. Too many years being kicked around as the laughing stock at the Team.

Dan Russell's balls got a whole lot bigger in his criticism of the 'Nucks the day NW lost the broadcast rights. He's a yes-man as much as anyone. The only way the NW sports department can draw sports listeners now is to portray an opposing viewpoint than the Team.

What will really be telling is this afternoon, and what Ball, then Pratt and Taylor offer on this. How far out on a limb will they go?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best was when Dhaliwal was pished on the air during a Vegas roadie with all the TEAM's on air and sales guys... He must have been out all night.

I think that may have been the same trip as Taylor's eating of someones hours old Chinese food room service leftovers at 3 am. :eek:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0