Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Roster and Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a good choice. Wasn't good enough for MLS. He's an NASL'er or lower level Europe guy.

Duckett also needs to go.

Hoping they bring in Wassey, but who knows who else. Stalteri?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Duckett is young and on league minimum salary ($32,600.00)

Might as well hold him and see if he can be developed.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They had 2 open spots on the roster
His salary counts towards the cap in full because his release is coming post July 1
regardless of your perception on how well he plays his position or not, they're thin at the back.

Soehn has now traded or cut central midfielders and defenders (without replacements save Vagenas and Harvey) in akloul, dunfield, wagner and knight.

It makes no sense to me, Knight is average to slightly below average, he's no world beater and certainly a fan favorite... he should have been kept, if not for anything else but to not specifically piss off long time fans who voted Wes as the fan favorite last year.

Soehn can't seem to get anything right.

He's better than Duckett, he's arguable better than a lot of other players on the team and plays multiple positions adequately.

I'm scratching my head.... I'm all for cutting him at the end of the year, but TS has essentially put Wes' career back a year or two by killing any chance of him hooking up with another team this year and leaving him to rot on the bench all season once TT was sacked.

Thus it makes no sense football wise (re: Depth at defense and wing) and makes no sense as far as fan perception.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They had 2 open spots on the roster
His salary counts towards the cap in full because his release is coming post July 1
regardless of your perception on how well he plays his position or not, they're thin at the back.

Soehn has now traded or cut central midfielders and defenders (without replacements save Vagenas and Harvey) in akloul, dunfield, wagner and knight.

It makes no sense to me, Knight is average to slightly below average, he's no world beater and certainly a fan favorite... he should have been kept, if not for anything else but to not specifically piss off long time fans who voted Wes as the fan favorite last year.

Soehn can't seem to get anything right.

He's better than Duckett, he's arguable better than a lot of other players on the team and plays multiple positions adequately.

I'm scratching my head.... I'm all for cutting him at the end of the year, but TS has essentially put Wes' career back a year or two by killing any chance of him hooking up with another team this year and leaving him to rot on the bench all season once TT was sacked.

Thus it makes no sense football wise (re: Depth at defense and wing) and makes no sense as far as fan perception.

Come on JBN, you can post without your Southsiders glasses on now. Just because he's one of the few to acknowledge the SSers, doesn't mean he's a fan favourite outside of your group. His first touch usually let him down. He couldn't knock a decent ball into the box nor keep it on the park as a fullback. He never looked to get the ball back in tight places... in fact, I'll best remember him for getting a ball into someone in the middle of the park and then running like hell to the corner flag, looking for a "hail mary" pass. He's definitely a good athlete, just playing the wrong sport.

Too many crap players like Knight were signed this year, when better players are/were sitting in our backyard. And yes, I blame Soehn for that.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm agreeing with you Luch, but if no better players are coming in, what's the sense in killing this guys MLS Career? He's getting paid anyways, his salary counts towards the cap... there's no sense in cutting him when you might be forced to play someone in a position he at least knows how he's supposed to play...

I guess I just don't get the timing more than anything else...

TS was the "grand poobah of football operations" or some such when Wes was signed, but now he's not good enough?

Howdya Figure?

Akloul was one of the most gifted technical players on the team and he was sent packing, Wes has his flaws and was sent packing.... the only one I absolutely agree with was Blake Wagner, but only because you had a Wes Knight still on board, and now he's done and somehow Wagner was signed by RSL...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
the only one I absolutely agree with was Blake Wagner, but only because you had a Wes Knight still on board, and now he's done and somehow Wagner was signed by RSL...

And exactly how many games has he played for RSL?

Maybe the Caps releasing Knight is better for him, as now he is free to find an opportunity with another club where he can actually see the pitch.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
And exactly how many games has he played for RSL?

Maybe the Caps releasing Knight is better for him, as now he is free to find an opportunity with another club where he can actually see the pitch.

Well looks like Poco has one more addition to the squad.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm agreeing with you Luch, but if no better players are coming in, what's the sense in killing this guys MLS Career? He's getting paid anyways, his salary counts towards the cap... there's no sense in cutting him when you might be forced to play someone in a position he at least knows how he's supposed to play...

I guess I just don't get the timing more than anything else...

TS was the "grand poobah of football operations" or some such when Wes was signed, but now he's not good enough?

Howdya Figure?

Akloul was one of the most gifted technical players on the team and he was sent packing, Wes has his flaws and was sent packing.... the only one I absolutely agree with was Blake Wagner, but only because you had a Wes Knight still on board, and now he's done and somehow Wagner was signed by RSL...

How is getting waived killing Knight's MLS career? Regardless of the lack of depth the Caps have showed at the back, he still hasn't played in how many matches? He obviously wasn't in the plans for the remainder of the season. Most supporters haven't missed him. Now, what will they do with that big, awkward Kiwi? I know a former Peg coach who loves him :rolleyes:.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boxall has potential, but having had to be the anchor as the most consistent CB due to JDM's injuries hasn't done Boxall any good. Many are saying he is the steal of the draft as he came in the ... whatever the 2nd draft was called.

Whitecaps need to sign a quality CB desperately for two reasons. JDM will age very quickly playing on field turf for sure, and regardless, he'll need to be replaced as he gets age 33+ anyway....I can see Boxall sticking it out and being a good MLS'er. He's far superior to the Kiwi TFC drafted at CB all those years ago....and that's at least something to hold over the bad guys.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luch, I'm essentially saying that his career is stalling at minimum, the chances he has to hook up with another team is slim to none based on windows that open and close to sign players etc. Where's he going to play for the rest of the year?

If Knight wasn't going to play games the rest of the year he could at least train and stay on the roster as a just in case player... they've cut him to save what? a few grand? it shows a lack of respect and loyalty to players.

there are no advantages to cutting him right now. They don't save cap space, they have to buy out his remaining contract, so he's not going to cost them a lot of money, and they have left him without a place to play after 3 years of loyal service. This sort of treatment of players doesn't go a long way to making yourself an attractive club to play for.

just sayin.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or, he doesn't fit in their plans whatsoever, told him so and in order to help him get his career back on track, released him so he could latch on to a new team.

Of course this is the Caps so who knows?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Could be. I don't know if he can hook up with another MLS team or USSF D2 team without going through some allocation process or if any windows have closed... but from talking to those that have a relationship with Wes and from reading his twitter feed etc it looked like he had no plans to move on and is really shocked by the decision and it was a surprise.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Could be. I don't know if he can hook up with another MLS team or USSF D2 team without going through some allocation process or if any windows have closed... but from talking to those that have a relationship with Wes and from reading his twitter feed etc it looked like he had no plans to move on and is really shocked by the decision and it was a surprise.

A warning to the SSers from the FO? First Teitur, now Knight. Nolly is next.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A warning for what? The SS'ers have been essentially pissed on since Barber showed up and they went "big league"

nothing surprises that lot anymore...

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN, no piss take here, just a curious question, what do the SS want from the FO and what would they do that can make the SS and the club better?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not about making the SS better, I think it's about allowing the SS to improve themselves.. What do the SS'ers want to see? I think the same thing as everyone else... good players, good tactics, consistent performances, and an attacking style of play.

The SS were made to pay a higher price in tickets for the worst sightlines in the park, essentially being charged a premium to participate in the activity that they created. They get shaken down by security at every opportunity. There's no consistency in what is and isn't allowed into the park as far as bullhorns, signs, posters, flags etc.

Look at Portland and Seattle where they actually give their supporters groups every opportunity to flourish and grow organically. When we watch footage of the ECS or TA on TV everyone always remarks about how well they go about doing things, the SS would probably be in the same ballpark if they were allowed to plan and do things instead of constantly having to go to meetings and investigate incidents reported by their members etc.

also let me be clear, I'm just as much of a southsider as any of you these days... I don't sit/stand with them, usually if I'm alble to attend games these days I head as high up the park as possible at the southend and stand at the top to see the pitch and play as best I can from the best sightlines the southend offers... I also very infrequently check in to their messageboards unless some of my friends ask me to pop in and have a look at something... and I haven't been to Oscars for months.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
also let me be clear, I'm just as much of a southsider as any of you these days... I don't sit/stand with them, usually if I'm alble to attend games these days I head as high up the park as possible at the southend and stand at the top to see the pitch and play as best I can from the best sightlines the southend offers... I also very infrequently check in to their messageboards unless some of my friends ask me to pop in and have a look at something... and I haven't been to Oscars for months.

Sell out. :knvb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0