Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who supports HEU!

Do you support the HEU?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I symp. with those that lost out, but have no need to support you while I try to make my monthly bills and keep my business alive. I have no union reps to go to battle for me, to shut down other sectors and to provide me with all the perks in a year.......I have to fight to stay alive everyday at the mercy of unionized businesses telling me they are not going to provide services.
Ignorant my fukcing ass, go look in the mirror! :mad:[/QUOTE]

First of all no one is asking for your support. I am stating facts about this government. Everyone makes choices and because you choose to have a business that's barely staying alive that is your choice. No one can force you to have a business.

I guess you didn't read all my post or decided to just mention the things that interested you. It is about a government that refuses to honor Agreements that they agreed to in the first place. If someone jumps a team mate are you going to stand there or are you going to help him. This is what it's about standing up for one another.

For your information I can prove that CUPE BC as I am sure other unions do this as well, spend a lot of money on helping non unionized people. I personally support charities like WAVAW (women against violence against women), Salvation Army, Gospel Mission. These are groups that have lost any funding that they were given before. We fund International Solidarity causes all over the world. So just to let you know we help all workers not just unionized workers.

Regs all I can say to you is you have a lucky child(ren).

Not trying to piss anyone off just venting like everyone else and am trying to give some viewpoints to this matter that I have not seen addressed yet.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
robj
I am sure everyone, whether union or not, would like to or does support non union things ...charities...but that is not what I am saying. Everyone has financial problems, some get screwed more than others. Nothing we do is going to change that, it has been here since recorded time. My issue is why you say that you are not asking for support, isn't this thread and most posts battling over what one thinks is right and/or wrong. In a round about way you are asking for support, that is one of the reasons for striking.....support..... Again, noone should take a pay cut but that is life.
As for the business thing, ya I did choose to be in the profession that I did as did you when you became whatever you do. Nothing is set in stone, but unions seem to think their issues are untouchable. I bitch and moan about the gov. everyday, but I deal with their decisions and will remember it when it is time to vote. I also realize what unions have done in the past, but why should we all suffer when one local has a problem. I support the HEU in terms of no pay cuts, but all the extra perks that were there makes it hard to feel for them.
As for the team mate thing, ya I am the first in but the whole league does not threaten to shut down when one guy gets a shiiity suspension. I am glad it is over, lets just move on until the next gov. fukc up. :(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was pointed out to me by somebody- "Why do you think people seek out union jobs? For the security and the knowledge that unless you are a total idiot, you can't be fired. You are protected. Bottom line."

The inference being that it is a matter of choice. I beg to disagree.

First off, my present situation is excluded- I am doing what I do clearly out of choice. Being self-employed and running a small business offers perks on its own. I like the freedom, and- I'll admit- get off on the day-to-day risk and chaos. I have had opportunities to move on to the more traditional corporate world as a salary based, bonus driven exec, but don't like the idea of big brother telling me I can't knock off early on Friday, or have to be in the office during certain hours.

That said, my personal situation is a bit of an anomaly (as KNVB pointed out). My points:

1. Most public sector workers are not self employed- they are “Average Joe Six Pack” (to steal a Peter Warren term) who work their bag off for their security too. They aim for long-term employment- just like the union guy. They want security, and want to stay with their company for as long as possible to build up their pensions, get their scheduled raises…no big difference. The odd individual is there to aggressively climb the corporate ladder, but most are your average support staff. It just so happens that their company isn’t unionized. That is of no fault / doing of their own.

2. Most union workers are not born into the situation. Most are there through chance, or their education has steered them there. People don’t become nurses, teachers, police officers, firefighters, or many of the other skilled union type positions because they want to be union people…they do it for the “calling”. Even your plumbers or electricians- they ended up doing what they do because they have a natural aptitude for it. They can work with their hands, and can grasp the mechanical understanding required for the job. They don’t first say, “Gee, I want to be a union guy…what can I get into?”

3. Most workers in this province are non-union, and they are non-union through no choice of their own. What makes you, Robi, more entitled to job security than other average working stiffs?

It was pointed out to me that I chose to be non-union, and the lack of job security is at my own risk. Again, I beg to differ. I do what I do because it offers the ultimate security- to adjust to the climate, to switch things up, to pass on to my kids, and to build a business that will one day allow me to retire comfortably. Again, I’m an anomaly. Most in non-union situation are workers whom have no choice. Do you think they are there because they are staunch anti union people, and have a beef against you? No- they are there because they need to make a living, and that company offered them employment. They crave the same things you do.

Don’t get me wrong: I feel Bill 37 was unfair for HEU and only HEU. But, cut it with the rhetoric, they finger pointing, and the non-union bashing. It is that type of attitude that primarily puts the rest of us squarely against your “causes” and your wildcat strikes that hold the public at gunpoint. It’s the fact that, although you claim your highest priority is “public safety”, the reality is that you’re more than willing to inconvenience others- even put others at risk- for the sake of your personal wellbeing.

Stepchild: well said. Where the fcuk was union guy when Chiropractors and Physiotherapist had the legs curt out from under them by the Government?

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

I never once said I am more entitled to job security than anyone else. This is my first Union job. Before this job I worked two jobs at minimum wage to pay the bills. Before that I served in the army for six years where I volunteered my life and time to protect those that could not protect themselves.

So I know what it's like to not have job security. You on the other probably have only been on one side of the fence if I am wrong correct me. Because I have been in both situations and also have a business I can make these statements through my experience. I also pay my workers who are mostly summer students a very good wage because I have done the bull work and know what a body feels like after a labour intensive day.

For the record I was recruited by my employer from BCIT.

I do agree and it is very unfortunate that we do have some dog fukcers and lazy people out there but so do some of the non union employers I have worked for. The other side of that coin is there are a lot of employers out there that try and force or intimidate workers on the job site for no reason.

I am curious as to why unions are hated so much in your eyes?

I've said my piece.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
robj said:
I do agree and it is very unfortunate that we do have some dog fukcers and lazy people out there but so do some of the non union employers
Yes, but the difference is that Unions protect those fcukers and will actually promote the toleration of said lazy fcuker, whereas, non-union companies get rid of them and bring in people that want to work. But in your eyes that would be an unfair dismissal right??

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some Robj highlights I'll address:

Ignorance is all I can say to comments from regs, blaze army, steve 1234,.......
Interesting that you grouped a teacher in there. These guys made excellent points that clearly showed they weren't ignorant to the issues.

I bet some of you union bashers out there probably had their own education funded by their unionized parents out there.
Yes- my Mum was a nurse. What's your point? She still would have been a nurse, union or not.

You should be proud of your accomplishments that you own your own business. You have the right to your opinions, but I wonder when the last time you actually sat down with a trade unionist and asked their side of the story.
I deal with union companies everyday- both as a vendor to them and as subcontractors under me. Yes, I've hired union contractors. Somtimes because the job requires it, other times because they submit the best bid. One of my principles also has a union shop. They're recently commissioned a second non-union plant in another state, and that plant's lead-times, costs, and efficiencies blow the union shop away. In addition, every employee is on salary, and well paid for their efforts. The system works well both ways.

Keep believing this government and pretty soon your business will be gone because if it's cheap labour you support then one day a company from the states might be bidding on jobs up here that will eliminate your business.
When that happens- and it does- it is usually due to low bid. Some of those jobs are going on to Union sites.

There are two sides to each story.
Obviously, but when these situations come up, it always seems to be the Union side that forget- conveniently- about the rest of Joe Public.

First of all no one is asking for your support.
You sure were when you threatened to "shut the Province down".

For the record, I haven't always been doing what I'm doing. I was part of a union, actually, for a short period of time while in College. Not out of choice, more because the union was on site already. I've also done my share of grunt work. I've been on both sides of the fence.

If you were recruited into your union out of BCIT, you weren't born into it, were you? You were trained in either your trade or educated in your specialty, the job came calling, THEN you chose to accept an offer. Maybe the union was part of your decision making process, maybe not, but I can guaran-fcukin-tee that as many jobs are recruited out of BCIT that are non-union. In my class (business) nearly every graduate.

I am curious as to why unions are hated so much in your eyes
They are not, but there are some serious holes in some of the pro-union arguments. If you stick to the facts, great, but the labor movement took it way too far with the rhetoric. The public isn't stupid, and will be unsympathetic when you try to pull the wool over our eyes.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco, when I say there are lazy fukcers in non union jobs I am saying in my experience they were not terminated by the employer. A dog fukcer knows that in front of an employer he has to look busy but as soon as they are not around do nothing.

The worst part in my experience as a unionized worker is that the dog fukcers have been promoted to managment positions and are no longer unionized. Explain that one to me Kuna.

Unfair dismissal would be if the guy wasn't warned. I don't know about you but if someone is doing something wrong they should be told smarten up or you're gone. That does not happen in most cases and you're right in my eyes that would be unlawful dismissal. Don't make it sound or label unions as defending dogfukcers. As far as Arbitral Jurisprudence in most cases terminations are upheld by arbitrators if the company has enough proof on these workers being dog fukcers. The only time the employer loses is when it's their own fault for not having proof so don't make it sound like they get away with murder. They don't.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude that was pretty cool what you did with all the quotes and then your responses. How did you do that? :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I knew somebody thought I was cool.

On the icon list, above where you type your post. The first icon is "B" for bold. The last one is the quote icon, on the right.

Why do I feel I'm about to be roasted?

~Pseudo Moderator (the others must be fcuking the dog).

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Psst Robj, you can fire anyone at any time for no reason. It's called firing someone without cause. You do, however, owe them severance after that. So really there is no such thing as unlawful termination!!

Your friendly neighborhood slum lord and sweat shop operator!!:D

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, the unions took this way too far with the rhetoric. I heard the union claiming that these private contractors are profiting about $10 per hour for each worker. That would be approx $18,200 per non union worker annually(based on a 35 hour work week), assuming 20,000 of these non union workers are now in the system this would net the contractor $364,000,000 profit per year. Anyone want to start a company contracting health services to the govt. Before any of you get too excited, reality check: add general operating expenses for each non union worker and the contractor's profits diminish(the costs of operating a business).

Plus the govt is also saving when benefits and other general expenses are taken into account, probably around $30 per hour or so for each union worker(the costs of operating a business-in this case the hospital).

Just wandering if Gordo will be lowering MSP premiums with all these cost savings?

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco said:
Yes, but the difference is that Unions protect those fcukers and will actually promote the toleration of said lazy fcuker, whereas, non-union companies get rid of them and bring in people that want to work. But in your eyes that would be an unfair dismissal right??

How much do you get paid to play Pingu Slap all day? ;)

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Robj

Reading between the lines I think this whole tyrade was just an effort to increase your post count, shame on you. In future I would appreciate if you would read my posts rather than just skimming and coming to a rash conclusion. I support your right to fight for what has been wrongly taken from you, but I do not condone the Unions using the public as pawns in there childish attemps to show how powerful they are.

Also if your bosses accepted an agreement, why are there still picket lines up?

The HEU's secretary-business manager, Chris Allnutt

Allnutt said he didn't support pickets remaining up in the face of an agreement

"In terms of members still being on the picket line, we directed our members to go back to work and most members are accepting the union direction."

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve1234, we are all pawns in this game. They are not our bosses. They are elected officials. Who by the way do not speak for everyone.

You guys make a picket line sound like it's worse then speeding or breaking any other law. There is not one person here that has not broken the law in one form or another.

Picket lines are still up. Where?

If it wasn't for Dude you wouldn't know how to do the quotes either.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0