Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 Olympics: Salt Lake City

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
thanks Regsi, I'm still in lalaland

thanks Regsi, I'm still in lalaland:confused:
+SCsaysthanksregsi,'mstillinlalaland:confused:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas don't expect to win their appeal but said they came forward to generate publicity and expose judging inconsistencies that long have cast a cloud over the legitimacy of ice dancing.

Legitimacy of ice dancing? It is a fcuking joke. Darts should be an olympic sport before fcuking ice dancing. Fcuking poofs.

Executioner

Check out the fcuking mullet on this 'ice dancer'.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: proof....

Originally posted by Fastshow
Surely this prooves that the Olympics still maintain at least an element of amateurism?

~WORD:rolleyes:

+SCisdownwithamateurism:p

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
um huh boyfriend(snapping fingers in a z formation)

"Word" to your "Word" and "Words" apres your "Words" - Jude:D

+SCisstilldownwithO.P.P.;)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
interesting hockey outcome

Belarus 4
Sweden 3

Shows anything can happen:eek:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
GET OUT!

That is downright shocking!

Captain, did that screw up any of your bets?

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
spekin de doich

Sweeden 4
Canada 6--

Not only did I pick up a few techniques from our Men's Curling team, but I am speaking the Swedish Language fluently;)

Yours in being fluent
+SC:rolleyes:
is it me or did Kelly Law get screwed into the Bronze final?:confused:

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another Gold...

Janica Kostelic of Croatia has won another gold medal to add to her collection of gold and silver. She won todays' gold in teh slalom. In really crappy conditions skiers were bailing all over teh place. But janica pulled through beating her closest opponet by a close 0.07 seconds!!! She goes for a record 4th medal on Friday. In an interview she says she only needs one more and that's the bronze. right now she's skiing and having fun.

congrats Janica Croatia is smiling! :)

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks a lot!!!!

I taped the Women's Slalom and was just about to watch it when I read this.

Now you've fcuking ruined it for me.

Now I guess I'll just have to watch the Hockey game instead tonight.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Prob Jinky

It's nice u taped the womens slalom, but they only showed the 1st run. The 2nd run was not shown and they only said who the winner was.

If she wins on friday i won't spoil it for anyone.

Janica 2 Gold 1 Silver

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
perspective....

As you can imagine, Britain is beside itself with excitement over winning such a hotly contested semi-final in such a popular sporting pursuit like curling last night. It's the talk of the office today. And if you believe that....

From the Daily Telegraph, quite a shock.
Americans doctored the medal table to show themselves in better light
By Mihir Bose

OLYMPIC GAMES are always a delicate balancing act between jingoism and spreading international goodwill.

The really successful Games, such as the Sydney Olympics, can use the occasion to celebrate national spirit, yet make the world feel so welcome that foreigners come away thinking the party could not have happened without them.

Not in Salt Lake City. After three weeks here I'm still like the man at the party who stands with a drink in the corner of the room, checking he has the right invitation and struggling to find anybody he could really talk to.

Nothing illustrates this sense of alienation more than the medal table. This shows United States second to Germany, but this has been achieved by standing the normal Olympics medals table on its head. At other Olympics the country with the most gold leads the table; the total number of medals won is a secondary factor. In these Games the Americans have discarded the gold standard to show themselves in better light.

This sense of deviation from normal standards is reinforced by the fact that most Americans have not much contact with winter games, and the newspapers have been running tutorials, complete with diagrams, to educate their readers on the various sports.

But then these games are Americans talking to themselves. The rest of the world may eavesdrop, but that is about all.

I had a vivid illustration of this last Saturday when I went to Park City up in the mountains near Salt Lake where some of the events are being held. The main street, which had been closed to traffic, was packed and had all the feel of a gigantic street party. However, if there were even a dozen from other countries I would be surprised, and I felt I had somehow taken the wrong turning.

It is not surprising that Utah, the Mormon state which has always been considered an oddball state by other Americans, should use the Games to become part of mainstream America.

How far the Mormons will succeed in this is not clear. They seem to have an inferiority complex about their religion and, fearful of making this look like the Mormon Olympics, they have asked their missionaries to keep such a low profile that other American Christian sects have taken full advantage. Every Olympic venue has seen Baptists and others hand out their literature, but no Mormons.

When it comes to making money from the Olympics, the Mormons are not slow. I met one BBC man spending £350 a night for a room in a hotel which would normally go for about £50. And restaurants have been adding a compulsory 18 per cent service charge, on top of which taxes are added.

The cost of coming to the Games and the high ticket prices, £650 for opening and closing ceremonies, have meant few international visitors. The exceptions are the Dutch, who have made the short track a wonderful Orange haven, but even they say that at £20,000 each for the trip, it is like taking out a second mortgage. As if to make up for the lack of foreigners, the Americans have adopted the Canadians. Never has Canada had a better or more extensive press coverage than now and, while the Canadians were grateful for this during the pairs skating scandal, they have bristled when Americans try to appropriate their victories and present them as great North American triumphs over the rest of the world.

For the British the structure of the Games has not been right. At Sydney they began with a cycling gold on the first day and took off from there. Britain's best hopes are well into the second week and so far, sad to say, the most dominant British presence here has been the British ticket touts. Touting is legal here, and some of the touts I spoke to were very proud that they were teaching the Yanks how. They are part of a pack who follow international sports.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Men's Curling

Even Greg MacCaully (Sp?) seen at the STown Tavern everyday boozed up could have closed with the winning rock today:rolleyes:

Canada just lost the gold:(

+SCguessesthattheytriedtheirbest :eek:

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Martin & Law

I applaud them for their fine effort but why do Canadians always choke?Practically everything that were favoured in,something always prevents us to reach the pinnacle.Martin can make that shot 10 out of 10 times in his sleep and happens to blow it when needed.It's just goes to prove that we are a 3rd world country when it comes to Sporting events.:mad:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
down with that

~"WORD"

But, then again, are always pretty harsh when we lose out to "our" expectations:rolleyes:

Oh well, it is still an accomplishment to be there:cool:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC,

So you're sayin' the men in your life aren't quite 'measuring up' to your expectations? ;) Still, I'm sure they think it's an accomplishment to be there. :eek:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0