Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals [2006 Challenge Cup] Senior Men's National Championship

BC Teams @ Nationals
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Senior Men's National Championship

10/4/2006 - 10/9/2006
Surrey, BC

Good luck to both BC teams including WAB, Animal and LBG!!!

Sapperton Game Times
2006-10-04 11:00 BC-Sapperton Rovers vs MB-Lucania Newton Athletic Park #7
2006-10-05 11:00 BC-Sapperton Rovers vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #7
2006-10-06 10:00 ON-Ontario vs BC-Sapperton Rovers Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

Firemen FC Game Times
2006-10-04 10:00 ON-Ontario vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)
2006-10-05 11:00 BC-Sapperton Rovers vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #7
2006-10-06 11:00 MB-Lucania vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #7

CSA Site: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/natchamps/club/challenge.asp?sub2=2

-//-

Nice that both BC teams get Ontario on the turf :rolleyes: The Ontario team is from Ottawa and just beat the USL's Toronto Lynx in the "Open Canada Cup" final 2-0 last week... I would think they are the favorites.

Hopefully people get out to the games and can post recaps here - probably the only place in Canada to get good reports!

-//-

If you ask me, I think it is more than a bit of a joke that these championships have not been promoted one iota. The host club has no mention on their website, BC Soccer has no mention on their website, and the VMSL has no mention of it on their website. Good job everyone :rolleyes:

Cheers,
~Regs.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs I totally agree with your comments about this tournament not being advertised anywhere. It took CSA up until yesterday to post times and field as to where the games would be.Also only in the last few day have they(CSA) been posting the names of each team representing their province.The CSA website when I checked yesterday still hadn't posted the teams info( ie:what colour the uni's are and so forth) Yet they give you these links to click on with nothing up.This website reminds me of the MWSL website.Anyways that's my rant and hopefully this weekend someone ( ???) might think of posting and advertising this tournament in all the local papers plus the 2 big ones province and sun! Heck maybe even get Squire to talk about it on the sports news sometime next week!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Yeah, but I think the issue is more with the local associations/host club. The last 2 championships had their own websites.

Who are the local sponsors? Will there be any photos?

I doubt you'll see anything on TV or in the papers when a finger can't even be pulled out to post something about it on soccer-specific websites in the area :rolleyes:

LFCdude

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Question......why the F*ck are all the games so damn early? Does the organizing staff not want any fans out to watch? Unless you guys out in BC have figured out a way to not work for a living? I can't figure it out! Why schedule so many early games? Not to mention the semi finals at 9 and 10 am? Seems absolutely daft. Some of the top amateur squads in the country some pretty decent matchups (especially in Group A) and what will ther be maybe 20 people out to watch because most normal people have day jobs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Not that I'm defending this group but every nationals I've been to had early start times including Winterpeg in '95 :D

There is also the issue of jet-lag/time zone for eastern teams... evening games for say NFLD would be like them playing @ 1 or 2 AM.

Sadly, even if the games were in the evening there would only be 20 people out because noone fricken knows the games are even being played here :rolleyes:

LFCdude

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time zone/jet lag? Were they nice to you guys in PEI when they were playing games at 9 or 10 am? Isn't that like 3am BC time? Really is too bad the tournament isn't being promoted at all though. Winnipeg in 95' also had some 7 pm kick offs under the lights too!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
We never played earlier than 11:30 I think in PEI, so I guess yeah, they were nice to us :D

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In my opinion the VMSL should have considered postponing the weekend's matches.....at the very least Premier and Division 1 - allowing people to attend the tournament instead of competing in their respective games. It would surely result in far more support for the tournament. After all, National Club Championships are the pinnacle for amateur soccer (except in the Valley - their pinnacle is beating a VMSL team):D

Good luck to WAB and the boys as well as the Firefighters - I hope they stick it to the rest of the provinces.

Sandman

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Royal City Record is doing an article in their Tuesday (or is it Weds?) paper. But they are focusing on Sap. I talked to the Province's sports editor (who I know though friends) and they will be doing a story as well as covering the event (always after the Canucks news, though). Surrey FC Pegasus still has no mention of it.

BCSA is a joke. They don't give a shite about any amature soccer. All they care about is being in their new digs in Gastown.

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whataboutbob,

I agree BCSA is a joke along with the head guys at vmsl excluding Mr. Tremarco. Why would bcsa care what is in it for them. I was here in may for the tournament of champions out at newton and all they were driving were mercedes suv's. As for the tournament it was a joke to claiming that a lot of university scouts would be there. I saw 3 scouts instead of 30 as they advertised.Good luck next weavers i hope we meet in the final.

Sneds

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira,

Fyi this team has won more candian championships then any other team in the last 10 years so before you open your facking mouth think before you speak muppet. lol

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I am picking one of the home town teams to win over all the rest of the entrants. Where can we bet?

Home town guys will be better rested... no travel except to get in the car from their homes to the games. Better rested - sleep at home. Home cooked meals. No distractions like Sportings pizza/bear party or nights out on the town.

Too bad both local entrants are in the same group.

Larsonn returns to BC will be a huge story of course and Callies have a short travel time but still won't finish at the top.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
larsson said:
alikira,

Fyi this team has won more candian championships then any other team in the last 10 years so before you open your facking mouth think before you speak muppet. lol

And you've been a HUGE part of the puzzle........

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would just like to say thank you to WAB and Sapperton for stepping up to the plate for Nationals this week. After talking to one of the Favaro's on the weekend I was shocked to hear that they were hosting and cooking the food for the banquet social on the weekend. I was shocked when he told me that the team was pretty much pressured into it by I believe the BCSA. I asked him that if Surrey FC is the host what where they being held accountable for?He said he didn't know. Then tonight at work I ran into another Sapp player who told me that they weren't even offered money for the food, supplies and the hall. So now I find out that WAB and his crew took on this expense and have gone out of their way to get people and companies to sponsor and donate stuff. This is why the event is being held in New West. Another tid bit I also heard is that they were forced to hold this event on the saturday as the CSA expects it to be an all day event with the event running from 2pm till 11pm. What a joke that is, but at least it answered my question as to why it wasn't happening on the friday night which would make the most sense to every team invovled in this tournament. Let's see the CSA has scheduled the semi's for sunday morning at 9am but lets have the team social on a saturday night.:mad:
I have to add Surrey FC your club has been a big disgrace in terms of coordinating and hosting this event! Thank your lucky stars that WAB and Sapp might hopefully make this experience for everyone at least a little bit memorable, considering the short notice they have had to work with!
Hopefully Azzi gives Sapperton team of the week even though they aren't playing a league game in the VMSL this weekend.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said Conductor and another well done shout to WAB and the rest of the Sapperton boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0