Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals [2006 Challenge Cup] Senior Men's National Championship

BC Teams @ Nationals
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So sad to read about all this, with the obvious exception of Sapperton's efforts to salvage this.

We proclaim to be the hotbed of soccer in this country, yet our own association can't be bothered to lift a finger in this.

And, what about Surrey FC? How were they awarded this? Was it a matter of application / award? Was it decided Surrey FC would get this when Roy Mitchell was in charge? Say what you will about the man, but he'd have made sure this was done right. I can see the club turning to Coach to pick up the ball, but how many tasks does one man need to juggle? Not fair to ask him, with everything else he has on his plate.

Shameful.

Regs: when is the next UpFront?

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor

Well it isn't that bad.:rolleyes: BCSA gave Sapperton $1500.00 to host a potential 500 person salmon dinner. As you know this covers only the hall and some equipment rentals. Everything else was donated or paid out by the club.
We were hoping to get a lot more from BC soccer but all their money went to thier $15000.00 / month lease at The Landing in Gastown. By the time the money came in (Late August - we have been organizing this since June) we were pretty much on the hook for the function. So it was dissapointing to say the least.

Sapperton wanted to host a social event. Surrey FC was supposed to do so but we are a "proactive" club and wanted some newspaper coverage in the community. What better way than to have a Nationals event in your city.

CSA wanted it to be on the Sat. It's not supposed to be a drinking party on a Friday night. CSA wanted a "social event" which ran through the day. 3 PM - 12 midnight.

"Beer sales will help out." We thought, but the semi-final times are shocking! 9:00 AM! So now we just hope for the best.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You shouldn't crape all over SFC for the social event thing.
But what is shocking is the lack of resemblance of a National tournament at NAP. There is no signage, no mention on the board about the tournament, nothing as of yesterday on their web page, no advertisement or stories in the local paper. Nothing.
The Province is supposed to cover it, but it doesn't look like any preview is done. Piss poor.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the clarification WAB - send me your mailing address as on behalf of TTP, I'd like to donate something to help out.

SurreyFC was awarded the Nationals over Surrey United based on they had hosted a Nationals before (albeit youth).

I really hope the teams travelling here get treated well and have a good experience - people should get out to games if they can!

I'll be there for the final(s).

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
You shouldn't crape all over SFC for the social event thing.

There still is a social at the NAP this weekend, but it will be hosted by the Mighty Rangers both Sr. and Jr., after the Div. 1 game at 7:30, there will be plenty of social beverages and perhaps Big Z could put on a BBQ clinic for the rest of the Canadian teams. There is a possibility of some boat races as long as you don't have a 9am game on Saturday.

Many of the Rangerets will be there too, for any of the single boys.

Hey WAB, to cut costs for the Salmon dinner, why don't you just ask Sid to go down to the Fraser and throw a shopping cart in for ya, I am sure he could pull out a few hundred Chum.

hos

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck to the Firemen and Sapperton clubs. Best of luck. I wish I could make some of the first round games but some have to work.

Cheers
JB

sg48715

Oct 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It sounds like Surrey has dropped the ball this year. When the nationals were held in Chilliwack the support and organization of the event was fantastic. Except for the fact it was in Chilliwack we had a few great crowds, one on the Friday night and the final was packed.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Day 1 Predictions

Ontario vs BC Firemen (turf) TIE
BC Sapperton vs Manitoba
Alberta vs PEI (turf)
Nova Scotia vs Yukon
Quebec vs Newfoundland (turf)
Saskatchewan vs New Brunswick

fuzzy

Sep 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Day 1 Predictions

Ontario vs BC Firemen (turf) TIE
BC Sapperton vs Manitoba
Alberta vs PEI (turf)
Nova Scotia vs Yukon
Quebec vs Newfoundland (turf)
Saskatchewan vs New Brunswick

Ont Fireman Draw
Sapp Man Draw
Alberta
N Scotia
Que v Newfies Draw
Sask v N B Draw

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP special report from my "ASS" live at Newton. It's 1-0 Ottawa vs Fireman late in the first half. Fireman were robbed of a goal off a corner kick by an amazing reaction save from the Ottawa keeper.

Reports as they happen, only on TTP.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My "ASS" tells me Ottawa won 5-3. 1-0 at half and the gates opened up. Firemen had a couple of disallowed tally’s as well I was told. Scrambles kicked out of the keepers hands type deal. Dunno the exact details. Maybe Animal can confirm.

The new format I think allows for a loss and still have a chance to get in the back door. Which my "ASS" likes, very much.

Sapperton are up 1-0 at the start of the second half.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky Firemen... tomorrow's game is going to be HUGE (sorry CSA).

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sapperon 1 Manitoba 1

Sapperton were up 1-0 then sat back and took it, which under normal circumstances, my ASS loves but not on this occasion. My ASS said Sapp were the better side but couldn't hold on. This is the same Manitoba team SU played in the Bronze medal game in 02'. They were a decent side then, sounds like they are again.

BIG BIG game for both team tomorrow. Don’t they play each other?

fuzzy

Sep 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Sapperon 1 Manitoba 1

Sapperton were up 1-0 then sat back and took it, which under normal circumstances, my ASS loves but not on this occasion. My ASS said Sapp were the better side but couldn't hold on. This is the same Manitoba team SU played in the Bronze medal game in 02'. They were a decent side then, sounds like they are again.

BIG BIG game for both team tomorrow. Don’t they play each other?

Incorrect KNVB, you played a squad by the name of Sokol then. This would be Lucania, who were at Nationals 1999, 2000 champs, and 2001. Missed 2002.

However, some of the players from that Sokol team have now joined Lucania FC.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, they play each other tomorrow. Did your ASS mention anything about crowds or if it even appeared to be a well-run event so far?

NO2

Sep 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfourtunate result.

KNVB, Would your ASS be able to give an update on the Callies game? I would love to see Larrson eat his words.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i caught the firemen vs. ontario game. entertaining.
credit to firemen for battling, but ontario had to much going forward on the counter attack. pace and clinical finish by ontario who seemed to be able to turn it up a notch when needed. other than the counter, it was an evenly played match through the middle. ontario definitely suspect in the back and in the pipes.
will be a big game tomorrow between firemen and sapp.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fuzzy said:
Incorrect KNVB, you played a squad by the name of Sokol then. This would be Lucania, who were at Nationals 1999, 2000 champs, and 2001. Missed 2002.

However, some of the players from that Sokol team have now joined Lucania FC.
Thanks for the update. I was going by the description my ASS gave me of the Frodo Baggin's mid-fielder they had.

No word on the other questions, though my ASS did say he had pictures and was going to post something a little later... he said something about being busy. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0