Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 BC Womens Open Provincial Cup Discussion & Banter

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure there won't be too much discussion on this topic since all the women's premier posters have disappeared but the draw was done last night and it looks like this:

Top Half
Westside vs West Van - winner plays Coquitlam
Surrey United vs Gordon Head - winner plays 2nd place Island team

Bottom Half
Norvan vs 3rd place Island - winner plays Gorge United
Richmond vs Vic West - winners plays Pegasus FC Alumni

Top half is definitely tougher than the bottom and I can't believe they gave a first round bye to the second place Island team, but whatever. I'll be shocked if any Island team (other than Gorge) makes the semis.

Any other thoughts on the draw or who the favourite to win it all is?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Getting that top seed sure didn't get Coquitlam much of a draw. Four of the top five teams in the MWSL are on one side.

I predict Gorge, Peg and Surrey make the semis. Coquitlam could be in tough with Westside or West Van. Westside, in particular, has had a pretty good year, and has given Coquitlam some trouble. Should be interesting QF match in any case. I'll make a prediction on that one a little closer to the date.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the BCSA link to the draw website:
PTS-TOURNOI

Early Predictions:

Round 1 (April 15)
Westside over West Van
Surrey Uniter over Gordon Head
LIWSA over Norvan
Vic West over Richmond

Round 2 (April 22)
Coquitlam over Westside
Surrey over Island 2
Gorge over Island 3
Peg Alumni over Vic West

Semi Finals (April 29)
Coquitlam over Surrey
Peg Alumni over Gorge

Finals (May 6)
Coquitlam over Peg

I went the homer route this time. Coquitlam has a killer draw, and having to get past Westside will be hard enough, but getting past Westside and Surrey may take so much out of them they won't have anything left for a Peg side that will have had a relatively easy walk through to the finals.

Good luck to all teams.

FB. Out.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round 1 (April 15)
Westside over West Van
Surrey Uniter over Gordon Head
Norvan over LIWSA #3
Vic West over Richmond

Round 2 (April 22)
Westside over Coquitlam
Surrey over Island 2
Gorge over Island 3
Peg Alumni over Vic West

Semi Finals (April 29)
Surrey over Westside
Gorge over Peg Alumni

Finals (May 6)
Surrey over Gorge

These are my picks on Sports action! Call me crazy on my picks but if I get them right can you imagine the odds payout! By the looks of this thread I might even be willing to also predict that it probably will be mostly Fat Bastard and I going back and forth on this! :D

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
These are my picks on Sports action! Call me crazy on my picks but if I get them right can you imagine the odds payout! By the looks of this thread I might even be willing to also predict that it probably will be mostly Fat Bastard and I going back and forth on this! :D

You are predicting a few big upsets there, Conductor. But I'm not sure if I totally agree with you.

I don't think Coquitlam will lose to Westside and it will be a Surrey - Coquitlam semi but I'll stay away from predicting the winner of that one. On the other side I do think it will be a Gorge - Peg Alumni semi in and I will agree that there is a chance for Gorge to pull off the upset. It's tough to go to the Island for the semis and Peg Alumni doesn't have as many offensive threats as Coquitlam (who's won in the Island semi the last two years).

Anyways, my picks for the first two rounds are:

Round 1 (April 15)
Westside over West Van
Surrey United over Gordon Head
Norvan over LIWSA #3
Vic West over Richmond

Round 2 (April 22)
Coquitlam over Westside
Surrey over Island 2
Gorge over Norvan
Peg Alumni over Vic West

BTW, I apologize if I offend any Island teams but if memory serves me right the closest score that any of them had against the big three (Peg, Coq & Surrey) in the last two years has been 4-buzz. Should they really have three and possible four of the eight quarterfinal spots? I'd be pissed if I was Westside or West Van - one of them won't make the quarters but Norvan or Richmond (with one win between them) have a great chance.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure what any other scores were today but I do know that I have at least 1 right in my prediction's of today's match-ups. It was Surrey United 1-0 over Gorden Head this afternoon in a very unispired performance today by the ladies in red. On a postive note at least there is only one direction for Surrey to go now and that definitely has to be up, cause I honestly don't think it can go lower than today. Nutmeg's with the GW today on a great set up by Kim who was a half time sub but came in and gave some pretty good energy!

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure what any other scores were today but I do know that I have at least 1 right in my prediction's of today's match-ups. It was Surrey United 1-0 over Gorden Head this afternoon in a very unispired performance today by the ladies in red. On a postive note at least there is only one direction for Surrey to go now and that definitely has to be up, cause I honestly don't think it can go lower than today. Nutmeg's with the GW today on a great set up by Kim who was a half time sub but came in and gave some pretty good energy!

West Van lost today 3-0. Westside scored two quick goals and never looked back... i wonder how quick that site will update the scores?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Early predictions for this weekend...

Coquitlam vs Westside should be a dandy. Cheering for Coquitlam in this one, but Westside are certainly the dark horse on all this. (To be honest, it's about time.)

Surrey should beat the Island team this weekend. But they are short-staffed and the Island refereeing and pitch conditions are always unpredictable.

Gorge and UBC will win their respective QF matches, and face each other in the next round.

Certainly not out of the realm of possibility for a couple of upsets in the top half of the draw, but when push comes to shove Surrey and Coquitlam have 'been there' so many times now, they know how to get the job done. Both sides have made at least the semis for at least the six or seven years. That experience is worth its weight in gold when the chips are down.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was the Gordon Head (we could have some fun with that, but I am too high brow for that) that played Surrey today the same squad that had all the kids and whacked out parents last year? If so, glad to see them get unceremoniously canned from the tournament.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB not sure if it was the same Gorden Head team as last year's. They had quite a few supporters out for women's soccer and had about 4 or 5 player's that looked to be still in high school. Maybe this will help you know if it's the same team? (Their goalie looked like it could be named Gorden :D )

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I noticed from the pics on the Slurrey website that Pellerud was watching. Did SU have their complement of national team players dressed? (If so, 1-0 is not a very good result at all.)

Or was he just enjoying a Sunday afternoon in Cloverdale?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I noticed from the pics on the Slurrey website that Pellerud was watching. Did SU have their complement of national team players dressed? (If so, 1-0 is not a very good result at all.)

Or was he just enjoying a Sunday afternoon in Cloverdale?

Just enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon in Cloverdale watching his kid play in a softball tourney at the same park.

BTW - the SU complement of national players only consists of two players. One of those players was available on Sunday and played only 45 mins due to injury.

But as Conductor said, it was an uninspired performance by our team and we will have to pick the intensity up for next week. I'm not making excuses for our lacklustre display, but GH wasn't even trying to win the game or score any goals, it was 1 forward and then the other 10 bodies within 35 yards of their net. You know you should be pounding a team when just before the 2nd half kick-off of a 0-0 game the ref says to your two strikers: "Please just score some goals." :eek:

Congrats to Richmond on their first win of the year. Pegasus FC really does have quite the tough draw in this tourney. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know who is responsible for updating the Provincial Cup website? Seriously, how freaking hard is it to get some scores online by Sunday night - hell, I'd take Monday.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know who is responsible for updating the Provincial Cup website? Seriously, how freaking hard is it to get some scores online by Sunday night - hell, I'd take Monday.

My thoughts exactly. How about game times for the Coquitlam-Westside and Pegasus-Richmond games? Those would be nice considering they are less than 5 days away. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am guessing that they (being BCSA) won't let the Coquitlam-Westside match go on Friday night. Too bad. That would be a great Friday night match.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0