Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 BC Womens Open Provincial Cup Discussion & Banter

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coquitlam defeated Westside 2-1 in extra time. KJ scored both for Coquitlam (second half free kick, and a PK in the dying seconds of OT). Coquitlam also missed a PK in OT.

It was a very good game to watch. Both teams defended exceptionally well but struggled with the finish. Westside scored first in the second half. Coquitlam replied with the equalizer and them pretty much took control of the game from that point on. They had far more chances but couldn't finish.

Westside gets full marks for the effort. Rustad was a tower of strength at the back. That is going to be a very good team next year - especially if they can add to the offense. Coquitlam played well as well. Too bad this had to be a QF match.

In other news, heard also that Peg won their game 6-1. No word on Surrey United's match.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United won on the Island but barely final score was 2-0 against Castaways a far cry from last years result 9-0 against the same team in the quarters. Give credit where it's due Castaways took a coaching page out of Jacques Lemaires book and played with 10 players inside their 35 yard line and played for a miracle. SU scored their 1st about 15 min into the 2nd half and then got the insurance with 10 to go. It looks like SU will have a short bench next week against Coquitlam as they had 4 injuries today. Rumour has it that 3 are lower body and 1 is an upper body injury! As for the report on the Coquitlam game the rumours about the last minute PK in OT were swirling that it's was Walk's who reffed the game, but just to clear the air he was reffing the Imperial Cup final, so there was no biased call on that PK supposedly? ( with one minute to go in OT)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have to admit that I missed the OT:mad: As I had to zip down to Town Centre to sit through a rather unimaginative and boring Coastal Cup closing ceremonies. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, from all accounts, PK was warranted. Fairly obvious handball I am told. Both teams scored earlier off of freekicks, so referee definitely had some impact. Don't know his name, but apparently he is some up-and-comer brighlight in the referee ranks (Mark something, I think).

Another Coquitlam-Slurrey provincial cup tilt. I may have to give this one to Coquitlam, if only for the fact they're 100%. I would expect the three-time defending champs to come out fighting though. Knowing Marty, he's probably got something up his sleeve. Should be interesting. Another game that should be played on a Friday night! Come on BC Soccer give this game its due!:knvb:

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United won on the Island but barely final score was 2-0 against Castaways a far cry from last years result 9-0 against the same team in the quarters. Give credit where it's due Castaways took a coaching page out of Jacques Lemaires book and played with 10 players inside their 35 yard line and played for a miracle. SU scored their 1st about 15 min into the 2nd half and then got the insurance with 10 to go.

Pretty succinct summary of the game by Conductor. It'll be nice to play a Lower Mainland team this coming weekend that plays the entire field. I am totally sick of playing Island teams that pack their end of the field and hope to hold it to a scoreless draw. Very similar to Gordon Head last weekend, the Castaways played a 5-4-1 and I'm sure it was very boring for the spectators.

The most exciting episode of the day was the return trip home and the amazing race-like search for bevvies for the ferry ride home!! :D

Conductor said:
It looks like SU will have a short bench next week against Coquitlam as they had 4 injuries today. Rumour has it that 3 are lower body and 1 is an upper body injury!

We sound like the Dallas Stars - Conductor, I think one of the lower body injuries may actually be considered a torso injury. ;)

Fat Bastard said:
Another Coquitlam-Slurrey provincial cup tilt. I may have to give this one to Coquitlam, if only for the fact they're 100%. I would expect the three-time defending champs to come out fighting though. Knowing Marty, he's probably got something up his sleeve. Should be interesting.

Looking forward to another good battle with Coquitlam. We will be short-staffed as we have been for most of the season but will give it our all. And FB, just for your information, Marty is the president of the club, but doesn't coach us so I'm not sure what you're thinking he could have up his sleeve.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am sure the Surrey-Coquitlam game will not disappoint. Gorge-Peg game should be just as good. Gorge has a decent side, and Peg hasn't had a tough match in God knows how long. Will they be ready to play a feisty Gorge team, on the Island, with the infamous Island officiating?

BCSAWatchdog

Apr 13, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like its the same old rivals with Surrey vs Coquitlam again and Pegasus travelling to the Island to take on Dews Girls. I predict it will be Coquitlam this year as Surrey and Pegasus has been watered down with the loss of many of the National team players. The younger players have filled in quite well but are not at the level of play that the national teams players were able to contribute last year.
At any rate the MWSL has done another great job despite the lack of support from the BCSA

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At any rate the MWSL has done another great job despite the lack of support from the BCSA
What does that have to do with the rest of your post? Seriously.

Please be more specific on what the lack of support by the BCSA as it relates to this tournament.

Thanks.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I predict it will be Coquitlam this year as Surrey and Pegasus has been watered down with the loss of many of the National team players. The younger players have filled in quite well but are not at the level of play that the national teams players were able to contribute last year.

I love the theory that both teams are watered down due to the loss of many National team players. Peg really only has one National team player in Andrea Neil (but she was never around much anyway) and then they lost a couple of key offensive players to travelling overseas this year. Surrey U has two National team players but have lost 5 players due to injury and the birth of the first Team Baby. ;) So out of the combined 10-12 players that both teams have lost, only 3 are National Team. Get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come on Nutmegs, Surrey United doubles as the National team. Everyone knows it. There is no other explanation for you winning. There can't be.

Cheaters United I say.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs has a point. Although, I think what most people refer to is the rosters as they were last year:

Surrey: Hermus, Franko, Allen, Schmidt (and technically McLeod)
Pegasus: Neil, Apps, Robinson

(That's 8 national team players combined.)

Judging by Nutmegs defense, Allen and Schmidt are no longer part of Surrey United. And as much as it pains me to do it, I have to defend Surrey a little, because Hermus has been on that team since pretty much Day 1, and Franko was on the squad before she was selected for the WNT.

And while we all like to jump on Surrey and Peg for the national team connections, I am pretty sure that was Claire Rustad playing sweeper for Westside on the weekend.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canucks have Trevor Linden and Roberto Luongo, Surrey United has Geri Donnely and Theresa Nuttal. With Geri the wily vetearn putting the finishing touch on a nicely taken free kick (which I'm sure Coquitlam will whine about) to get the only marker of the match. Not to be out done though, Theresa made a game saving save off of Phoebe to turn out the lights on Coquitlams season. Phoebe had the same look on her face as Stu Barnes did in game 7 after watching a sure goal be denied! Anyways congrats to Coquitlam on a fine season and for winning the league cup. As the count down for Surrey stays alive, what started as 360 to go has now become 90! :cool:

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canucks have Trevor Linden and Roberto Luongo, Surrey United has Geri Donnely and Theresa Nuttal. With Geri the wily vetearn putting the finishing touch on a nicely taken free kick (which I'm sure Coquitlam will whine about) to get the only marker of the match. Not to be out done though, Theresa made a game saving save off of Phoebe to turn out the lights on Coquitlams season. Phoebe had the same look on her face as Stu Barnes did in game 7 after watching a sure goal be denied! Anyways congrats to Coquitlam on a fine season and for winning the league cup. As the count down for Surrey stays alive, what started as 360 to go has now become 90! :cool:

Yeah i was at the game... it was entertaining somewhat. A lot of swear words coming out of people's mouths. Anyway, I just got off the phone with a Peg player. Looks like Slurrey will be playing GORGE! Who apparently beat PEG 1-0... I think someone predicted Surrey/Gorge final.. but I'm too lazy to look...

choker

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Surrey. That's a gutsy win. Hopefully they can keep going a little longer. (Did I just say that?) I'd seriously hate to see an Island team win the Provincial Cup. We'd never hear the end of thit.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Choker yes you are correct on someone predicting the finalists, lets just hope that my sports action streak continues for 1 more week!:D

[QUOT Finals (May 6)
Surrey over Gorge[/QUOTE]

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard a rumour today that Coquitlam might be protesting because of the free kick. Haven't been able to confirm this. Any details to share on the call in question? I wasn't there, but I am sure wishing I had been now. This rivalry never fails to disappoint.

I don't think you can protest a game based on a ref's call. Unless it was really, really bad. Who was the ref?

Kage

Oct 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we're protesting the game...I definitely don't know about it!! Where did you hear that rumour from??

There were talks about it but I'm not too sure how that works and what good could come out of it.....the ref was shite but it may be a little late for a protest?? Anyone else have any info that I don't know about yet??

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we're protesting the game...I definitely don't know about it!! Where did you hear that rumour from??

There were talks about it but I'm not too sure how that works and what good could come out of it.....the ref was shite but it may be a little late for a protest?? Anyone else have any info that I don't know about yet??

Kage, I doubt you'll be able to protest the call, as shitty as it might have been (I hadn't heard from anyone whether or not it was bad so I'll take your word for it). We had some bad calls go against us as well. We could of had 1-2 pk's that wern't called but unlike some of Gorge's players we didn't throw tantrums when we didn't get a call, legit or not:eek: . That being said, we were outworked (and very rarely can I say we get outworked) and other than the last 15 minutes when we were all over them, we deserved to lose. As a whole we did not play good enough to win against a quality opponent like Gorge. They were decent and could give Surrey some trouble but on a normal day we should have won. Frustrating:mad: . Anyway, my one and only post of the year on TTP! Already looking forward to next season

WW

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs, guilty as charged. I've posted 2:eek: . I had to give the carpal tunnel syndrome a break since I was doing a lot of typing in past years but I feel it coming back as we speak so I will have to make a graceful exit from TTP. Lata!!!

WW

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0