Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 BC Womens Open Provincial Cup Discussion & Banter

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, Foden's hand disappeared. He must of put into the back of his puppet. Nice to k-vales years at Kentucky weren’t for not. ;)

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better story than the Island one that knvb posted on Monday:

Defence carries Surrey to fourth title

Michael Booth

The fourth time around might have been the sweetest for Surrey United's premier women's team.

Surrey captured their fourth consecutive Provincial Cup title with a narrow 1-0 win over Victoria Gorge in the championship game Sunday in Victoria.

Where past Surrey teams were favoured to win thanks to a deep and talented roster, this year's edition of the squad overcame long odds to successfully defend their B.C. title for the third straight year. Surrey, the defending national club soccer champions, came into Sunday's final without the services of nine players who were unavailable due to injury, suspension, school commitments or national team duty.

"This one was, well, I would say it was the best one," said veteran forward Megan Blaker. "It was such a team effort. We had a different goal scorer in every game; it wasn't like we had Martina (Franko) or Randee (Hermus) scoring a bunch of goals. We just didn't have the bodies this time, we had two subs in every game and that was it.

"We only scored five goals in four games but we didn't allow any goals because of our defence and Theresa (Nuttall) in net. They were all just phenomenal."

United president Martin Foden added, "We'll never forget the first one which was a golden goal overtime winner but we think this one was really, really special. We were hurting so much and missing so many key players. We had some very resolute and determined ladies and looking at all the challenges we had to overcome, this is as satisfying as it could be."

Foden said while past Surrey teams featured a lethal offensive attack, this team was built around a "defence first" philosophy which took advantage of the United's veteran experience.

That defence came to the fore against Victoria as the two sides played through a scoreless opening half. Both teams had a number of scoring chances but nothing came close to eluding the respective goalkeepers.

In the second half, Surrey got the break they were looking for in the 60th minute when Amelie Mercier carried the ball deep into Victoria territory before slipping a sneaky pass to Blaker.

"She faked like she was going to turn in toward the centre and instead she laid it off to me," Blaker said. "I got by the defender, and hit it off the side of my foot. It curled around the goalie and she dived and punched it into the post but it went off the post and just over the line. It just made it across.

"I knew as soon as it went in that was all we would need because we weren't going to give one up."

Surrey's joy was short-lived as 10 minutes later, veteran defender Geri Donnelly was taken out of the game with a calf injury. Donnelly's absence forced United to rejig their lineup for the final 20 minutes.

With time running out, Gorge came on strong in search of the equalizer. Victoria rattled one shot off the woodwork and then had a glorious opportunity in the final minute only to be thwarted by a spectacular leaping save by Surrey goalkeeper Theresa Nuttall to knock the ball away.

"It was really a fantastic save," Foden said. "How she got a hand on it to save it, I don't know."

Nuttall's effort was enough to preserve not only the win but also Surrey's Provincial Cup shutout streak that now spans two consecutive post-seasons.

"To go through the entire tournament without giving up a single goal is just a phenomenal achievement really," Foden said. "We have some really seasoned players who have a lot of experience in big games so we knew we would be in every game. This wasn't the year to win the pretty way; this was the year to win the gritty way. And that's what we did."

United hopped a ferry after the game and made it back to the Lower Mainland in time to celebrate at local watering holes, an evening of revelry which featured the team coercing at least one member of the Vancouver Canucks into drinking from the Provincial Cup.

Surrey will now attempt to defend their national title at the Canadian club championship tourney in Halifax in October.

published on 05/08/2007

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
May 7, 2007 - Report courtesy FC Victoria
Both teams came out flying with FC Victoria Gorge earning the majority of play early in the match. Kate Hambleton and Liz Hansen pressured down the left flank and exposed the Surrey backside

Wow, not only did Sara Maglio assist on a goal all the way from her house in Burnaby, but we also had our backsides exposed!

My recollections of that day are a little foggy due to the copious amounts of alcohol being consumed, but the only Surrey backside exposure I remember was MF pissing off the side of the ferry. :eek: And believe me that's something you really don't want to remember. ;)

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay - I'm having a bit too much fun with this!! :D

BACK to BACK to BACK to BACK

Attachments

• 2004 Provincial Champs.jpg
    2004 Provincial Champs.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 2005 Provincial Champs.jpg
    2005 Provincial Champs.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 2006 Provincial Champs.jpg
    2006 Provincial Champs.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 2007 Provincial Champs.jpg
    2007 Provincial Champs.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 139

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey...I don't think anyone's gonna mind if you toot that horn a little LOUDER and PROUDER nutmegs...toot away girl!! That's a great accomplishment...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 1 Maple Ridge 0

Womens' football is a bit of a joke when only 7 teams can play for a Provincial championship....

Yes, 4 in a row is wonderful but there were only 7 teams.........:confused:

Some day, the MWSL will wake up and realize that other teams might be interested.......

Go Devils

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Womens' football is a bit of a joke when only 7 teams can play for a Provincial championship....

Yes, 4 in a row is wonderful but there were only 7 teams.........:confused:

Some day, the MWSL will wake up and realize that other teams might be interested.......

Actually they're were 12 teams in provincials - 5 from the Island - that's how Gorge was in the final. ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but if you think teams from the Selects division or other leagues in BC (i.e. Okanagan) should be able to qualify, I think you're stretching it a bit. The reason there is a Selects division is that most of those teams didn't want to play Premier and get humped by the top teams every other week.

Thanks for the congratulations though Alikira, we really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

And try to keep your high school soccer scores/posts in the right thread. It is such a higher quality of footie than what we play. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know how many teams in the guys leagues are actually 'eligible' for the Provincials? It is something that the womens' league should think about. But then again, why change something that doesn't need fixed, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Go Devils

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually they're were 12 teams in provincials - 5 from the Island - that's how Gorge was in the final. ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but if you think teams from the Selects division or other leagues in BC (i.e. Okanagan) should be able to qualify, I think you're stretching it a bit. The reason there is a Selects division is that most of those teams didn't want to play Premier and get humped by the top teams every other week.

Thanks for the congratulations though Alikira, we really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

And try to keep your high school soccer scores/posts in the right thread. It is such a higher quality of footie than what we play. :rolleyes:

I just noticed your little dig at the school soccer. I don't remember saying anything about high school soccer being higher quality than what you play. .........It's a shame you weren't half as good as you think you are or at least tell the TTP troops......You would be on the National team like other players on your team, who have helped you win the last 4 years. :)

coachrich

Nov 14, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Some day, the MWSL will wake up and realize that other teams might be interested......."

Interesting statement that is worth taking to BCSA Competition Committee for claification. I can see nothing at in the BCSA Regs or in MWSL paperwork to say you can not.

In youth B Cup/Level teams can declare to play at the A Cup/Level for Provincials & it's nothing to do w/ the league.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's how it works on Senior soccer. And Coachrich, you need to stop comparing it to youth. Completely different sets of rules. Same level of incompetence. Different rules.

There are two levels of Open Senior soccer: A & B. "A" teams compete for Provincial Cup (aka The Province Cup), and "B" teams compete for the Provincial B Cup (aka The Rec Cup, or the Liddiard and Sokolaksi -sp- Cups).

In the MWSL only Premier teams are registered as "A" teams. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. However, the BCSA Constitution clearly states that NO team shall be denied the opportunity to attempt to qualify for Provincial Cup. Of course, the Leagues can dictate their qualifying process, so in the MWSL this means that in order to declare for the Provincial A Cup you must play Premier. It also means that they can't stop a team from playing Premier.

What the MWSL should do is allow teams to declare themselves A or B at the beginning of the season, regardless of Division. All "A" teams would go into one Cup and all "B" teams would go into another - this would be in lieu of the Divisional Cups. The MWSL could give two Provincial Cup berths to the "A" Cup finalists, and then hand out the rest of the berths based on Premier standings.

This seems fair and sensical. In reality though, there are currently four teams in the MWSL who have a legit crack at the Provincial Cup. However, I don't think teams should be denied the right because one of the true hallmark beauties of this game is that in Cup play anything can happen. Competitions like the FA Cup are what set the game of soccer apart from all the other sports - and in essence even the smallest of clubs have the opportunity to win - with help of an upset and/or lucky draw.

As for Alikira's comments to Nutmegs, I don't know if you're joking or not, but you might want to retract that. Having coached against SU and Nutmegs more than enough times not to like that lot very much, there's no doubt Megs is a quality player, and you can't deny she's been a winner at more than a few levels. As much as I have a decade old hate-on for all things Surrey United, I have to give props to them as they are one of the best women's clubs in BC history. And they earned this last one.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree with Fat Bastard on this one!

Code:
"I don't think teams should be denied the right because one of the true hallmark beauties of this game is that in Cup play anything can happen."

Honestly after 4 years of SU winning the Provincials they could honestly use more competition to compete for this thing. I will give credit where it's due though and Gorge this year definitely made them earn it in 2007!:D

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for Alikira's comments to Nutmegs, I don't know if you're joking or not, but you might want to retract that. Having coached against SU and Nutmegs more than enough times not to like that lot very much, there's no doubt Megs is a quality player, and you can't deny she's been a winner at more than a few levels. As much as I have a decade old hate-on for all things Surrey United, I have to give props to them as they are one of the best women's clubs in BC history. And they earned this last one.

FB - Thanks for sticking up for me and for the props to the team and club. :D

I'm thinking that alikira was TTPing - either that or he's just jealous and is looking to model his Club I women's organization after SU. ;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0