Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 BC Womens Open Provincial Cup Discussion & Banter

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
WW, just wanted to say goodluck next year with Pegasus, but you probably won't see this as you aren't gonna be on here anymore!:D

Conductor, thank you for your well-wishes:) . Although I will not be posting on here I will check it out from time to time, like I did when I was not posting. Provides the occasional entertainment.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just posted when you said you wouldn't... you can't be trusted and you lie.

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just posted when you said you wouldn't... you can't be trusted and you lie.

WOWweee this thread is SO exciting!

So Conductor you going over to the island with Surrey? can you phone someone at the coed tourney and tell them the score..

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United 1 Gorge 0

Congratulations yet again, ladies. Wow, what can you say? Back to back to back to back.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
God bless drunken text messages... (please note I'm under direct orders from 16 drunken Surrey chicks...)

From Surrey United to Coquitlam

New socks $10

New Shorts $20

Winning a protest $500

Flying Kate Qually in from T.O. $1000

Winning the Provincial Cup 4 years running...

Priceless.

Classic. Congrats again ladies...

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Megs and the Surrey Girls.....

When is the Pijama Sleepover Championship Party with Tickle Fight taking place?? :D

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
First off, the classic game was a war of a game as I FROZE my feet watching the Merelomas win 3-2. Then I had to watch SU with there 13 players match up against 18 Gorge players plus their crazy fans! The game was a battle of the midfield in the 1st half. Then SU put their super sub in the 2 nd half to not only give inspiration to them, but also bury a goal. To give the many expexcted fans for the Gorge(35 in the stands), a chance to cheer, SU put the defensive chokehold on the Gorge,with Big E dashing any hopes on some backline miscues. To be honest those miscues supposledly where part of the play as they didn't get to practice them against Coquitlam! Being there 2 watch them be Champs(SU), makes me wonder if Coquitlam feels happy to have silver as they can't ride on SU's coat tails for a medal this year!( seeing as Nationals our in another Province)! Those that want to know SU 1- Gorge 0 truth be told TN was on fire with a little help from her friends!:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Slurrey. Not often the defending national champs can be considered underdogs, but given the injuries and short bench through the Provincials, this has to be very satisfying for the SU ladies - who can now officially go down as one of the best womens sides of all time.

And no more squawking from people about 'national team players'. No nats on the weekend, 13 players - probably some hurting - and no coach, against a tough Gorge side, what for all intents and purposes was playing at home.

Congrats to Megs, K-Vale, Marty, Kindel (even if he was absent Sunday), and the rest of the squad. (This is pains me immensely to be writing this, you have no idea.)

Now off to Halifax. Back-to-back nationals? Been a long time since a BC team did that. Going to be tough. Long travel and everyone is always out to get BC. Nova Scotia at home would be the early favourites, but as the 1-2 finish last year proved, BC is the class of womens soccer in this country.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations Surrey United ladies. Classy bunch and a dedicated bunch. You sure make our club proud.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
May 7, 2007 - Report courtesy FC Victoria

Photo courtesy Bruce Kennedy,
FC Victoria Soccer Club Two of the top amateur women's soccer teams in British Columbia met in Provincial A Cup final showdown yesterday in Nanaimo, BC for the right to represent British Columbia in the Club National Championships. Both teams came to play in a very entertaining hard fought championship game. In the end, it would be the defending Provincial and National Champions, Surrey United coming out on top defeating FC Victoria Gorge, 1-0. The game was played at Nanaimo's Caledonia Park.

Speed, skill and determination were demonstrated by both teams throughout the whole match. Surrey United was loaded with veteran experience. In contrast, FC Victoria Gorge carried a much younger squad with leadership coming from recent University of Victoria Vikes graduates, Carey Gustafson, Kate Hambleton and Liz Hansen.

Both teams came out flying with FC Victoria Gorge earning the majority of play early in the match. Kate Hambleton and Liz Hansen pressured down the left flank and exposed the Surrey backside with their speed and deft ball movement. Surrey's tower of strength came from their centre back, Erin Porter who thwarted many attacks into the box using her size and strength to win headers. FC Victoria Gorge's super pest, striker Kerri Fuchko used her speed to cause some early confusion. Surrey United would hold off the early pressure and develop transitional play featuring their outside back, Nicole Stewart.
Surrey United was able to place their shots on goal forcing FC Victoria Gorge keeper, Amanda Baart to make some tough saves. FC Victoria Gorge earned three corners in the opening half and caused havoc with all but could not connect. The score was knotted at 0-0 to end the half.

With a trip to the National Championships on the line, both coaches presented some tactical adjustments and substitutions at the half. FC Victoria Gorge was able to press on the right side early with Claremont High's Meaghan Schaefer getting the better of her mark on the flank. Attacks into the 18 yard box could not be converted by the FC Victoria Gorge attack.

Surrey would counter in the 54th minute. Midfielder, Sara Maglio created some space for herself on the right hand side and sent a low shot to her left that looked to be a sure goal. Keeper, Amanda Baart extended herself laterally as far as she could and nicked the ball with her hand deflecting it off the post. Defender Gustafson battled with an opportunistic Surrey attacker, Megan Blaker who snuck a toe on the ball to roll it just over the line. The game official overruled an offside flag and counted the goal.

Courage and determination overrode any fatigue being experienced by both teams. FC Victoria Gorge were a determined lot and pressured the Surrey side for the remainder of the half. Coach Dave Dew of the Gorge side adjusted his players moving the ride sight forward and going with a 3-4-3 attack. Surrey countered by bringing back players into a defensive shell.

Excitement was building with the 150+ fans in attendance as they roared in appreciation for the Victoria side. Defender, Caitlin Milloy, known as Caito to her teammates electrified the crowd with a 55 yard rocket in the 85th minute from the near right side touch line that was mapped with a guidance system towards the Surrey goal. Surrey's keeper, Theresa Nuttall back peddled then dove to her right. The ball got past her and rattled high off the far post and carried across the goal. Liz Hansen just missed the rebound that would have knotted the score. Hearts were pounding for both sides. Caito was discovered not once, not twice but five times in the final minutes and extra time with equally exciting power blasts from 40+ yards out with Liz Hansen turning a flick on header just wide and Theresa Nuttall making a game saver tip off the cross beam.

Surrey's ladies were an excited lot upon the final shrill of the referee's whistle while FC Victoria Gorge was exhausted from the amazing effort to tie the score. Both teams were classy in victory and defeat, heads held high knowing that an amazing game was just played. For the fans in attendance, there was realization of witnessing a classic game of women's championship soccer. One such fan claimed to say that this was more exciting than any National Women's team games she has witnessed over the past few years. A heady compliment for both teams involved.

While Surrey United holds onto their current string of Provincial Championship success, FC Victoria Gorge knows that they have built themselves into a young contending squad with solid veteran leadership. Championship final experience can only carry them further in the years to come.

Congratulations to the Provincial Champions from Surrey. FC Victoria Gorge wishes this team success in the National Tournament this fall and expects nothing less than a return trip home with the Jubilee Trophy under arm.

FC Victoria | FC Victoria Soccer Club is dedicated to the development and advancement of Vancouver Island’s youth soccer players

Attachments

• fcvictoria-may-07.jpg
    fcvictoria-may-07.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 120

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Incredible assist from Sara Maglio. Apparently she crossed it all the way from Burnaby. :)

Maglio didn't play. But I am sure Surrey's game report will be a little more accurate. And Nutmegs goal will be a rocket to the top corner. ;)

Another disputed goal by Slurrey. You guys certainly have a flair for the controversial don't you?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Incredible assist from Sara Maglio. Apparently she crossed it all the way from Burnaby. :)

Maglio didn't play. But I am sure Surrey's game report will be a little more accurate. And Nutmegs goal will be a rocket to the top corner. ;)

Another disputed goal by Slurrey. You guys certainly have a flair for the controversial don't you?

Maglio was on fire!! Just three weeks after having her first child, she was all over the park on Sunday! ;)

But seriously, the goal wasn't a rocket to the top corner but I was quite proud of it - an outside of the right-foot shot that curved around the keeper, she got a hand on it but off the post and in. FB, there was no controversy on the goal. The lino put his flag up and I'm not sure if he was saying a player was offside but it was a direct shot and she had no impact on the play.

I am also unbelievably proud of our team for pulling it out this year - it might just be the most special one so far. Our defense is amazing and like they say, defense wins championships. Erin with the defensive play of the game and Theresa making a save that was probably even better than the stoning of Phebe in the semis!

This was a four-peat for many of us but I want to acknowledge the four newbies this year who lost their virginity yesterday :eek: and won their first provincial cup - we really appreciate how well each of you became part of this TEAM.

BTW, the highlight of the afterparty at the Roxy has to be Willie Mitchell drinking out of the provincial cup!! :wa:

:wa: BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK!!:wa:

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
2007 Provincial Champions!!

Attachments

• Provincial Champs 2007 (small).jpg
    Provincial Champs 2007 (small).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 169

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maglio was on fire!! Just three weeks after having her first child, she was all over the park on Sunday! ;)

But seriously, the goal wasn't a rocket to the top corner but I was quite proud of it - an outside of the right-foot shot that curved around the keeper, she got a hand on it but off the post and in. FB, there was no controversy on the goal. The lino put his flag up and I'm not sure if he was saying a player was offside but it was a direct shot and she had no impact on the play.

I am also unbelievably proud of our team for pulling it out this year - it might just be the most special one so far. Our defense is amazing and like they say, defense wins championships. Erin with the defensive play of the game and Theresa making a save that was probably even better than the stoning of Phebe in the semis!

This was a four-peat for many of us but I want to acknowledge the four newbies this year who lost their virginity yesterday :eek: and won their first provincial cup - we really appreciate how well each of you became part of this TEAM.

BTW, the highlight of the afterparty at the Roxy has to be Willie Mitchell drinking out of the provincial cup!! :wa:

:wa: BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK!!:wa:

Cool. Hard to believe Mitchell had the energy to make it out to the Roxy seeing as he was just diagnosed with mono.:eek:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playing for the Canucks, that might be the only Cup he ever drinks out of.

Nice to see BC Soccer splurged on a sign. Would have been nicer if they could have at least issued some press release that this game was even freaking played. But then again, their website has had squat to say about the match, before or after it was played.

From all accounts a great match. Congrats to both sides for the effort. Another opportunity lost by BCSA to promote the womens game. Would it freaking kill them to get the finals on TV. Didn't they sign some first-of-its-kind sponsorship deal with Gol TV. I don't know what the hell that is, but I assume "Gol" and "TV" would indicate a footy channel. Hell, even Shaw Cable would do. I'm sure the community cable boys would throw on a soccer match in place of another repeat of Fanny Keifer or that Amazon and her midget sidekick.

Yes. I'm venting.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB said:
Would it freaking kill them to get the finals on TV.
I saw clips of it this morning, so one of the Island crews must have been on hand. I know they're really good at getting to their teams special events.

Nice goal Blakers. ;)

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can you spot the difference between the photo I posted earlier and the new one on the right? It's like a game of where's waldo! Well done k-vale! :D

Attachments

• Surrey_Champs_2007 (small).jpg
    Surrey_Champs_2007 (small).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Surrey_Champs_2007 (steve).jpg
    Surrey_Champs_2007 (steve).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 131

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars