Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 FIFA U20 World Cup

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The South Korea/USA sure was a good game. I'd say the US were lucky to come away with a draw despite both teams working really hard. I just think Korea had a greater number of quality chances (including the very unlucky bar in the 2nd half).

Quality entertainment.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched the match on the CBC HD channel and is was HD but piss-poor HD :mad:

Country Canada is channel 96... it's digital but not HD.

Just a point on HD and I only mention it because I think there is an incorrect notion as to what is HD and what is not. And I am sure someone else can/will take it to a higher technical level.

My guess is that the CBC game was not in HD. Just because it is on a 'HD Channel' does not mean that the game is being produced in HD. It very commonly is upconverted digital, which is light years better than the standard analog channel 3, which by the way is not as good as it was before you piped your cable through the HD box. I believe it is a fact that the analog channels are not as good through an HD box as they were/are through a digital box. If in fact it was HD, then unfortunate that it sucked. However, again I speculate, but I bet CBC has all their HD needed equipment in Toronto.

Good HD was the World Cup last year. The picture for the MLS game on Saturday nights on HD NET(221) is phenomenol, as good as the NFL productions.

Last note, all HD is not the same. Some is much better produced than others. It has allot to do with the technology, some better than always. Some prime time shows are known to be Superior. Believe the best one when I was doing all my research was widely thought to be CSI Miami. Leno and Letterman are also crystal clear.

It is an amazing world this HD thing, and if you have the means and can justify the cost, the only way to watch TV in the 21st century. However it is not as clear cut as many would like to think.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know what you are saying but the fact that the picture was letterbox tells me it was an HD source. Normal shot content on the CBC HD channel is never letterboxed.

The Argie/Czech game on right now seems better than the first match on HD.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI, the game was upconverted to HD format -- we only have one HD mobile. You won't see anything in "full HD" unless you buy an antenna anyway -- the cable and satellite companies compress all the signals.

Watched a replay of the Panama/North Korea match, which was very entertaining. Looking forward to some good soccer over the next few weeks.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Happy Canada Day all, here's to hopefully another great day of matches, yesterdays were entertaining (even the nil-nil's to some extent). Will be getting a nice buzz on in the beer gardens at Swanguard today, lets hope group B produces some great games.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quit bitching about the commentating as we're all watching a sport we love. Christ I could watch Soccer with Chinese commentating and still enjoy it ???

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada not looking good at the half down 1-0 . Chilli knocking the ball around nicely with Canada chasing. When they get it they hump it up the pitch hoping someone to run onto it I guess?? I'm seeing quite a few plumbers out there for Canada I thought someone said they had some talent? I hope they wake up for the second.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bend over, Canada.........we are having the piss taken out of us severely........:( Chile's pressure on the ball is ****ing outstanding and they are opening Canada up at will too...........I guess we're still miles away from the top teams...........:(

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i'm not even gonna comment on the play of the game, I would like to speak of the turf, what in the world is that??? I can't believe FIFA allowed that, I am aware of teams playing on turf and it being allowed but for crying out loud, the world cup???? is that a joke, if you guys watched, that ball was bouncing all over the place and not only that but you could tell that the guys had trouble with it under their feet, my two cents, chile played great.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two outstanding games locally today. Zambia was all over Jordan in the 1st when a Jordanian fooled the referree into giving a make-up red on a play away from the ball that no official saw. Ended in a tie, but the back flips by the Zambian players after their goal were worth the price of admission alone. Spain vs Uruguay (2nd game) was an absolute treat: Spain came back from a 2-0 deficit to tie it in stoppage time on a goal by in my view MOTM Diego Capel (Sevilla...some call him the next Reyes). You should try to get out and watch these guys, they are the ones that will be on TV in a year or two, especially #9 from Uruguay Edison Cavani, who plays and has scored recently for Parma (in his debut against Fiorentina actually), and Spain's #8 Javi Garcia (Luis Garcia's cousin...saw first team duty for the Galacticos this past season), or Spain's center back #5 Gerard Pique, who was purchased recently by Man U from Barca, and has seen duty at Old Trafford this season already...and these guys are at Swangard:knvb:

Should be a cracker doubleheader Wed eve...Spain vs Zambia, and Uruguay vs Jordan.

Predictions...Spain and Uruguay. Uruguay in a walk. Spain in not a walk, if at all.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously that's the worst I've ever seen Canada represented at such a high tourny. Come to think of it normally we're not even in the world cup for mens so this U20 thing is kinda new territory for us fans.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sitting in the east bleachers when that player from Jordan was rolling on the mat and nobody could say they saw anything to warrenhis "injury". follow the attached link to FIFA and click on the Zambia/Jordan game to see. It's at the 1min 15sec mark. The clown just drops and starts rolling around. The worst part of it was that the referee talks to both the near-side AR and the 4th official and messed it up. That ref had a tough day from the start with the gongshow that ensued on the handball call early on. But both games were entertaining and a great day for sure.

http://http://fifa.com/newscentre/video/index.html

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Spain vs Uruguay game was fantastic. Capel was a standout along with cavani. Although I thought Pique was a beast at the back for spain and did well to really limit cavani and seemed a level above with his calmness on the ball. I was most impressed with the big fella upfront for Jordan(11). He was playing one on four most of the second half but still found ways to hold the ball and work out of traffic. On a different team he would have been noticed by more people. Anyway I had a great day at swangard it was much more then i expected.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been watching the Country Canada channel (96) for sometime over the last few days and now it's saying that I have to order it. Anyone else have this happen to them? Was it a promotional thing that's now over?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i'm not even gonna comment on the play of the game, I would like to speak of the turf, what in the world is that??? I can't believe FIFA allowed that, I am aware of teams playing on turf and it being allowed but for crying out loud, the world cup???? is that a joke, if you guys watched, that ball was bouncing all over the place and not only that but you could tell that the guys had trouble with it under their feet, my two cents, chile played great.

I don't think the turf had anything to do with the outcome.

Clearly Canada is out of their league. This collection of guys looked lost out there with no idea of how to retain possession or what to do with the ball when they get it back. Too much ball watching and guys out of position. You'd think Dale would have prepared them better.

I've seen better teams locally at that age. I mean teams in the sense they know how to play together and not just look like an all star in over their heads playing some pro team.

If Canada wasn't just knocking it up the park to unsupported forwards they were ignoring the simple plays available and making bad decisions. Chile with their talent could afford to make dumb plays as the outcome was hardly in doubt.

Canada opened nicely and kept the ball almost looking like it was going to be a decent game to watch. As soon as they started chasing the game, it was over.

Bad call on that yellow card in the first half and that too has to weaken the Canadian's team resolve a lot - given that it rings of 'here we go again' with the refs.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I cannot help thus far but feel sorry for Zambia: yes they will not win this tournament, but an abysmal (now confirmed by various media) referree's decision in game one against Jordan cost them the three points, and today they caught an extremely dubious PK call to open the floodgates against Spain. Spain are up 2-0 at the half.

Uruguay won today vs Jordan in the first game.

I really like Zambia, due to the fact that, despite all that has happened to them, they never complain, and always seem to have a smile on their face. Hopefully they score in the second, and do some back flips.

PS: Swangard is an absolutely spectacular venue for this tournament.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0