Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 FIFA U20 World Cup

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Loved the final 5 minutes of the Chile/Portugal game today. Snatching the red right out of the ref's hand. Love it. As if it'll stop the red from happening. "Quick! Grab the magic Red Card before it can unleash its damage!"

So we're down to the....

Quarters

Austria v. U.S.A.
Spain v. Czech Rep.
Chile v. Nigeria
Argentina v. Mexico

Most of the picks are pretty straight forward, but I think I'm going out on a bit of limb with the Nigeria pick. I'm hoping that with Vidal's suspension and Sanchez's sore shoulder, Nigeria can give them a surprise.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yikes. 0 for 1 already. Who'd of thunk it? The U.S. was looking good throughout the tournament... until the second half today.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Am I the only one watching this tournament anymore or what? What's the deal? Has no one got anything to say about these teams or games?

Anyways, there were a number of surprises/upsets, I'd say, in the quarters. The semis match-ups are as follows:

Austria v. Czech
Chile v. Argentina

I've got to pick the Czechs for their quality defense over Austria's blind luck in getting this far. I don't know how Austria managed to make to the semis, because their defense has been weak and their offense, lack luster.

Argentina, on the other hand, has been the complete team. Although they took their foot off the gas during yesterday's 2nd half, Argentina has been the total team. Chile, however, despite their opening round display, has looked a little suspect in some areas: discipline, team play (sometimes looking individualistic), and they've had some trouble on defense. I believe they'll be missing a couple of players in the semi due to suspension, as well.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're on the Money Keeper.

Czechs v Argies for finale.

Mostly have stopped watching following the Spain Brazil game...can't beat that

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chile, however, despite their opening round display, has looked a little suspect in some areas: discipline, team play (sometimes looking individualistic), and they've had some trouble on defense. I believe they'll be missing a couple of players in the semi due to suspension, as well.

Keeper they havent conceeded a goal!:confused:

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The games just aren't as exciting, although I think the Chile-Argentina game will be great, Austria and the Czech's are boring so there's not much to post about in the games as it's all defend, defend, defend.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mexico-Argentina game yesterday was great. The Argies showed shat loads of skill on the ball. It was good to see the US get knocked out. I was really surprised to see Spain get creamed in the shootout. I thought with all their skill and flair we were gonna see some quality finish. Looking forward to the finals.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, I missed the Mexico-Argentina game but I assumed it would have been good. I can see why the Czechs want to go to penalties now, they are clinical in each shot, perfectly placed and lots of power. They're goalie does a great job of going the right way, he got his hand on 2 of Spain's goals, but it is sad we won't get to see their skill anymore.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Magic.

if you go the soccernet site and read the ticker tonights argentina-chile game is being played at the estadio nacional in chile.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow is all I have to say for these refs. The better team lost because of them and I'm not one to point to refs. Reminded me of that tall ref (forget his name) in the VMSL who as soon as you say a word to him out come the cards. Fcuk, Alikira would have done a better job.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reminded me of that tall ref (forget his name) in the VMSL who as soon as you say a word to him out come the cards.

The tall ref? In the Sesame Street League it would have to be Big Bird but in the VMSL? maybe Miro? Still, you're not exactly narrowing things down are you?

Bullshit refereeing though. Completely one-side all game. There were are a different set of rules for each team and I can see why Chile feel really ripped off. The ref ruined the match, and it could have been a great one too.

That said, what a fcuking hit by Di Maria on the Argie's first goal! Rifles it past Toselli and says so much for your record, muchacho.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree the ref was horrible but what was the chilean player thinking on the first red. No doubt to the ref it looked like he full on booted the player on the ground. Although in reality it was the ball at the player. Either way I wouldn't call the red unjust. The antics by chile were so South American in the second half. Sure I see why they were upset but come on they are 20 years old not children. Pulling at there hair and having little fits, ridiculous. To Juan, Carlos and the rest of the Chilean team, Adios muchachos. Been a while since I laughed that hard muchacho.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Dap Liverpool makes a few signings and you come out to play again? I guess you are back at the Fuk-U Monastery praying for that title. I might see you Monday. Hopefully my officiating (reduced to linesman) won't ruin your dreams of being a co-ed champion.

Hey Bulljive for the first red what was the linesman looking at. The ball barely hits the guys abdomen area and he's holding his face, should have been a yellow at most. At that point the ref lost control of the match. Yes they did overreact but I can sympathize partly because in terms of FIFA sanctioned events this will be the farthest these guys will probably get as Chile isn't a big player on the senior stage. Then again weirder things have happened. Go Czechs Go

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The match was terrible from start to finish. If the players had played soccer instead of participating in a platform diving event then the ref would have been able to do his job. Overall the players and ref should be embarrassed by their performances. Argentina just happened to be better at faking everything. So in the end I guess the better team won :rolleyes:

We can only hope that the final doesn't turn out to be the same.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone else read the report that the Chilean team got into fights with the Police and security guards while loading the team bus?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems from to be a bit over the top for police to try and prevent Chile players from going to their fans post - game and then arresting them.

CBC says even the President of Chile is expressing horror at this. It looks like a bit of a black eye for Canada in Chile and no doubt throughout Latin America. Chileans are not known for conflict like some other South American people so this is a bit of a shocker according to the CBC reporter who is in Chile. This is big news down there.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0