Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 FIFA U20 World Cup

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I weep for the future

Been taking poetry classes or somethin'?

Disappointing tournament for the boys in red to say the least. No touch, no skill, no creativity, nothing. Very difficult to find a bright spot as Canada looked completely out of their league. As Bronco said, this does not bode well for the future, although I suppose one could hope the generations before and after this are, or will be, better.

On a different note, Spain v. Brazil on Wednesday. What a match-up. I'm going to the game in Victoria the same day but Japan and the Czech Republic just doesn't have the same appeal as Espagne and Brasil. Anyone going to the match?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only bright spot for Canada could be the way Will Johnson was playing killer ball after killer ball into the Congo box for the first 60 minutes, he then dissapeared again like he did in the first two games. But then again, maybe the Congo let him have the time/space to play those balls in as they know Lombardo couldn't hit a barndoor...

Peters was virtually invisible...Why was he not out on the right wing?

Ho-Hum....

I will be trying to effort some tix to the Espagne v Brasil game...

would be nice to see "Alehandro Pato" in the flesh...thanks for nothing Armitage, the Brasillians speak Pork & Cheese, not mexican...Loser.

By the way, did anyone notice the announcer in the Canada v Congo game for the CBC, he actually did a great job imho...way better than Figure Skating afficianado Steve Armitage...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BNJ,

That announcer does all the games on CBC for TFC. I would imagine he will be the lead guy for CBC in 2010 South Africa.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
BNJ,

That announcer does all the games on CBC for TFC. I would imagine he will be the lead guy for CBC in 2010 South Africa.

No way. Lets hope like always we get the European feeds. Bad enough listening to the Canadian pre a post game produced shows.

i know, i know, don't bitch. But come on, the best tournament, the best announcers, no??

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap,

I'm going to the Brasil - Spain game this Wednesday. I'll tell you all about it at practice. ;)

Well, try not too drink too much then so you remember something.

In a way I'm a little relieved Liverpool's signing Lucas is injured (youngest golden ball winner ever in the Brazilian League, by the way) otherwise I would be pulling my hair out at missing the match. And I have some nice hair, don't ya know.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tater:

Ssshhh - don't tell the Wednesday boyz - I'll be at the Ethpaña/Brasil game as well, along with the demonspawn and La Señora. Plugs and hair dye indeed....:D

Actually thought Nigel was a fairly good announcer. The accent's right, and he has the "clipped and understated" down quite well. I'd rather listen to him with Craig than Armitage and Dolie, or Gerry & Helen (like we'll probably have to suffer through for the women's Cup in China).

Lombardo was an embarrassment unto himself. My team of 9 year olds finish better with their heads than this so-called striker. Honestly thought he was Congo's best defender... Best take-away from the game: we have a new backup keeper in Bourgault! Scared shiteless, but played well as a fill-in.

The rest of the team suffered from wooden feet and collective brain cramps every time they got within 20 metres of the net. These kids couldn't finish a Happy Meal, and it showed badly. I would have thought that after the game against Austria, Mitchell would have had them out for a few hours of shooting practice to try to work on this deficiency, but apparently not.

Are they an embarrassment to Canada? No. Nobody did anything really stupid except Begovic, and that was more of a reflex than intentionally stupid. Nobody dove, or writhed around in mock agony. For that at least, I am thankful. However, I do think they collectively should question their level of play. Like others have mentioned, this didn't look like a team as much as a collection of individuals thrown together. Maybe we're expecting too much of David Edgar to be the kind of leader this team needed, or too much from Mitchell as a coach. One thing I did notice was that they did not seem to be able to handle the pressure that came with the spotlight.

Interesting times....

Trece

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to admit I am disappointed in what appeared to be their preparation for this tourney- and this falls on the coaching staff. Mitchell's failure here does not bode well for him taking over from Hart (Heart?), who seemed to be able to get the best out of the Canadian men at the Gold Cup.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but our U-21 kids can't be this bad...can they?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My beef with the Mitchell/Hart comparisons is that Hart didn't do ANYTHING before guiding the MNT at the Gold Cup - check out the U17 team and their results...

As to prep for the tourney, really, what more could they have done? They had world-class friendlies, no? And they were getting good results, no? Not being able to score after all the quality chances they had in the final 2 games - that falls on the players, not the coach.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Classic with the G-String kilt ball sack cover.

RF ................... how did you know it was a g-string? Were you standing behind me during the picture, or were you down at the Irish Heather or Doolins after the match on Saturday .......... which, by the way were a touch of a blur for myself, Dickens and Besty. The g-string kilt ball sack cover (toffee wrapper) might make another appearance at the Nations Cup this year. Let's just hope for the fans sake I don't score a goal for Scotland in the O 38's.

JAGS

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank goodness Uruguay didn't win today. At first I was rooting for them, but after #7's antics in the first half I had to cheer for the U.S. instead. Then the end of the game made it that much more apparent the right team won.

And what was the deal with the announcers revealing the Austria/Gambia score. Don't they know some people might be taping it on the other channel? Idiots. Thanks for ruining the other game for me.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For anyone who was at the Spain-Brazil game, was it just me or was that how footy was mean to be played? End to end action, great goals, less diving than I expected, and the atmosphere was amazing. Easily the best live game I've ever been to, the talent level displayed was a thing of beauty. I hope someone from the CSA noticed that's the direction we should try to be heading in. Congrats to Spain, good luck the rest of the way.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
you are right on the money Stallion.

That game was amazing, but it did show one thing, how a foul in the first half causes most of these flakes to go down like they have been shot, but magically in the second extra time they run through those tackles possesed trying to score a goal.

Is Capel any good!? That left winger was amazing, it could have been 6 or 7-2 if the Spanish would have just shared the ball a little more in the attacking third during ET...

Sheesh, felt bad for the Brasillian Keeper, I thought he played brilliantly...no defense on the 3-2 goal, but oooooohhhh, what a ball by Capel!

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BNJ,

Agree with you on Capel he was magic. Running at the same pace in minute one as in minute 120, all left foot! A few other Spanish players stood out for me Pique was great at the back, Bueno and Graero (number 10) were fantastic.

Apart from those tents behind the south goal Swangard looked great.

What a match!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The tents...haha...Yeah Pique is going to be an epic player on the world stage, you can just tell...

I also really liked Eduardo from Brasil...He was good too.

What about that dribble in the dying moments by the Spainish striker when he rounded two brasilians and won the ball through the tackle just to have CAsio save it over the net? Stunning.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF ................... how did you know it was a g-string?

It's either that or an inside oot sporran laddie. ;)

Let's just hope for the fans sake I don't score a goal for Scotland in the O 38's.

I for one will be there with front row seats if you do. :D

BTW, brilliant game between the Brazilians and Spaniards last night.
End to end action with Spain, IMHO, deservedly going through.
It'll be a long time before we get to see that caliber of play again around these parts.

Well, until the Scotland O-38s play in a couple of weeks in Richmond.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The tents...haha...Yeah Pique is going to be an epic player on the world stage, you can just tell...

I also really liked Eduardo from Brasil...He was good too.

What about that dribble in the dying moments by the Spainish striker when he rounded two brasilians and won the ball through the tackle just to have CAsio save it over the net? Stunning.

I thought Capel had it won in the 90th when he ran on to the ball and put it on the outside of the post/net, I was front row right there and had Brasilian's on either side of me just gasping.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0