Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Olympic......

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So much for the Swedes being considered quaint and overly conservative.

I don't necessarily agree with him throwing down his medal, but it's good to see someone give a damn. Win or lose, competitive sport should be all about passion.

With the exception of the Canadian women's fencer who simply blew up after losing, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing the same passive rhetoric from our Canadian athletes and spokespeople.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So much for the Swedes being considered quaint and overly conservative.

I don't necessarily agree with him throwing down his medal, but it's good to see someone give a damn. Win or lose, competitive sport should be all about passion.

With the exception of the Canadian women's fencer who simply blew up after losing, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing the same passive rhetoric from our Canadian athletes and spokespeople.

Me too, but too be fair, we are breaking a ton of Canadian records, and we ar making more finals than in Athens, just would be nice to see some of them placing in those finals.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't blame some of our athletes for spazzing after a competition. To train that hard, and then to have to explain to Elliot Friedman, of all people, why you failed is a tough pill to swallow. That guy is the biggest knob out there. Somebody please put the boots to him.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada's going to get their first medal tonight, either a gold or silver in womens wrestling....its about time...well on pace to get two medals by the end:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 medals now, looks good!

BTW, CBC online - Mens QF Soccer is heading into extra time between Argentina & Holland - great match!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone watch the triathlon tonight?

I was stunned by how far back Whitfield came from to catch the front-runners when entering the 'stadium'... that was fricken awesome!

Equally impressive was the final sprint by the squareheed to take the gold.

Could have done w/o the CBC broadcaster though saying every 30 seconds "oh, this doesn't look good for Simon... oh, I don't like the way he just farted, it just isn't his day..." :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
10 now as there were a couple today, including Ian Millar winning his first medal in his 9th Olympics - he's 61 :eek:

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My favorite moment tonight was looking at the hot swedish chick in the 110 meters hurdles at the starting blocks pondering to myself I wonder what she is wearing under there is a thong, half bum? Then she takes off at the gun trips on the first hurdle and face plants into the track:D

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
last time i checked, ian millar was riding a horse.

if there was a 100m piggyback race, and i was the rider... would i get a medal?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anybody know exactly when the Argentina/Brazil semifinal is on?

TSN just says 11:30pm to 9am. Ones with out the PVR thingies don't have VHS tapes that long!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone watch the triathlon tonight?

I was stunned by how far back Whitfield came from to catch the front-runners when entering the 'stadium'... that was fricken awesome!

Equally impressive was the final sprint by the squareheed to take the gold.

Could have done w/o the CBC broadcaster though saying every 30 seconds "oh, this doesn't look good for Simon... oh, I don't like the way he just farted, it just isn't his day..." :rolleyes:

That was awesome, I thought he was screwed when he started to drop back, too back he couldn't hold on to it. Only 5 more medals for the over/under :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Never been happier to be so wrong!

I seriously doubted that Whitfield had it in him for another great Olympic performance. I thought Gomez was a pure lock. I was down at my son’s BMX practice last night, and about 8:15 we remembered the triathlon was on, and rushed home to catch it. When I saw Whitfield in the lead group w/ about 3 KM to go, I was first shocked, then pumped. I knew he was good for at least a bronze, but likely gold based on his finishing kick. He’s always had the best last ½ KM in the sport. The crux of the race was the last hill, where it appeared he was falling back. He was playing snake in the grass a bit, and conserving for that final sprint. Maybe he went 100 meters too early, but man…was a supreme effort, and how can anyone say they weren’t inspired by this?

The guy has put everything into this race, including selling Triathlon Canada on the “Domestic” concept. Back in the day, drafting was illegal on the bikes. Now with it being legal, it has first forced the better athletes to bring their games up in both the swim and run. Before, a strong rider could get by w/ a 2 minute deficit after the swim, so long as he was a top 5 runner, they could power away on the bike. Not anymore. Now the bike is essentially a road race pelleton, and you need to be able to gap up to the front group as quickly as possible after the swim and get yourself set-up for a good position to start the run. Colin Jenkins served the role of domestic by giving Whitfield the draft through the swim, and pacing him on the road, while doing a large load of the work up front on the bike. This allowed Whitfield to conserve for the run. He isn’t the top runner in triathlon, but he’s up there. The strategy had to be to start the run w/ Gomez, and hang in there as long as possible. If he was with him heading into the final 1500 meters, the advantage would be to Whitfield.

I guess they didn’t count on a lanky German having the race of his life, but hey…this silver is eons more impressive than any other medal we have yet, and will do more for inspiring kids than any other. Great execution, great race!

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i watched the race live from the opening gun into the water to crossing the finish line (ok, ok... i admit i switched over to perv at the womens beach volleyball regularly)... and my boy and i were yelling at the TV for simon when he threw off the hat with 1KM to go... closed the 5 second gap... and took the lead. it was amazing to watch. he was absolutely gassed with 50m to go, but he broke the spirit of Gomez. by far the best medal for canada.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel for any athlete whose fate lies in the hands of judges. There are far too many discrepencies with their scores. One judge scores 7.5 and another scores 9.5? How is that possible?

Biggest joke has got to be diving which really should be called "the smallest splash" competition.

You've got a 4ft 6 inch, 61 pound (no exaggeration) Chinese diver who could cannon ball off the 10m and not cause a splash.

I watched closely. She over-rotated on every dive (and her toes were seldom pointed:rolleyes:) yet still scored 8.5-9.5.

The Mexican diver got hosed out of a medal just because of her apparent fondness for the odd enchilada and burrito.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0