Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 Sr. Girls Secondary School Soccer

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I figured Captain Shamrock would have started one of these by now... Anyway, in case coaches and/or former students have any interest...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Season hasn't quite started yet but now is a good time.

South Delta will have the youngest team it has ever fielded at the Senior level this year. Our squad is made up of 1 senior who will be starting.......

Grade 12s - 1 -

Grade 11s - 2

Grade 10s - 10

Grade 9s - 3

Grade 8s - 4

We would have a junior team that would probably have a great chance to do very well in the Fraser Valleys. :D In two years, I believe our team will be very good and have a chance to do some damage in the Valleys/Provincials. Until then, trying to squeak 1 - 0 wins out as much as possible.

Elgin Park, if their best players are available will be the class of our league as long as they play as a team and don't let attitudes get in the way. They will win our league if this is the case. Semiamhoo could be the best team IF they are able to get all their best players out for the school team. Third and fourth is what we will be battling for against Seaquam, Delta, North Delta, and Tamanawis. It is going to be difficult but we shouldn't be too far away from these teams so we'll need some luck and youngins to step up.

We're heading to Kamloops on Thursday to play in a tournament so it will be good to get the girls playing together for a few games and of course for team bonding.

Go Devils

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elgin had been struggling to get everyone out and practicing for the Sr. Season. I think the team expected it to be an easy year after such a great year last season. Played out in the Chilliwack tournament and went undefeated, but didn't play particularly well on day one. Finally came together and started to gel on day two. If we can play like that we will be very good!

8 girls are away on a school trip to Europe now and won't be back til night before our first league game. A little worried what kind of shape they will be in for the game against Semi. Especially worried being that there are only 6 games and starting off on the wrong foot could be dangerous.

Still, if our team can come together quickly, play as a team and our stars play within themselves and are able to play every game we should be just fine. Repeating as league champs and Valley Champs would be great, but the goal this years is to get back to Provincials...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 1 North Delta 0 -

We played very well for most of the game but North Delta finished with 10 then 9 players for the last 15 minutes due to injuries. They started with 12. They have some speed in middle of the park and up front but we were able to keep possession for a good portion of the game and scored our only goal(despite 4 goal posts) on an own goal. :D

South Delta 1 McMath 5

We played an exhibition game on Tuesday and were destroyed by McMath. This is what is likely to happen when you are playing a junior team in a senior league. There will be be many ups and downs in the short season and to be fair everyone played equally and 3 of the goals were scored when the 'weaker' crew was on the field. Having said that, McMath has some very good athletes and players in midfield and up front......I think they have a good chance of getting to the Provincials out of the Vancouver/Richmond zone.

Seaquam 0 South Delta 4 -

We bounced back tremendously well the day after the thumping against McMath. The girls took everything to heart in the post McMath discussion and completely outworked Seaquam, not allowing them a shot on goal. We had a grade 8 starting in goal, two grade 9s in the backline, and a grade 8 in center midfield. We had one grade 12 and the rest grade 10s. Seaquam, according to their coach, had 9 metro players including 4 in the U-18 Surdel Sting, which is the top team at that level. We were thrilled with the performance and if we can manage 3 more points against Panorama Ridge on Monday, we will basically have clinched at least 4th place in the seven team league. As mentioned, this short season is shocking but hopefully that can be changed next year. There will be no problems like the Spring Break differences this year and/or the Olympics.

Go Devils!

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get 'er done Cappy...Always nice to hear hard work paying off even if you did blank my Alma Mater :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I forgot to post the scores in Kamloops.....competition was pretty average with Kelowna being the best team there.....they won the tournament final 2 - 0 against South Kamloops.

South Delta 0 Mt. Baker 1
South Delta 3 Summerland 1
South Delta 1 Kelowna 2
South Delta 2 Brock 0

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Husky...Woof woof... :wa: Of course I was there back in the day when all there was were grades 11-12...Much stronger programs across the board!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 2 Panorama Ridge 0

If Panorama's provincial players were allowed to play(3 of them) they would be a team to reckon with. It was a very good battle today but the difference was our two goals we score on set pieces.......one on a corner and one on a free-kick from about 26 yards out. We battled as hard as we did against Seaquam and hopefully earned our way to the Valleys with the win today. We had HOPED to be 3 - 0 going into the Elgin game as it is one we're not really planning on taking points from. Then on to Semi, who is another tough team. In between these games, we have six games :eek: in the UVIC tournament. Lots of games for the Devils but you have to play as many as you can because the season can be really short if you don't qualify for Provincials.

I heard Semi's best player did her ACL last weekend in her league game. :( That must be terrible for the kid at Provincial Cup time. I hope she recovers quickly.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elgin Park 3 - Semi 0

Not sure what to report... We managed to get 13 girls out today but they were all in brutal shape. 6 had just returned from a week long trip in Europe earlier this morning so they were jetlagged and bagged. Two others were sick and injured. Not to mention, the first time our girls all were on the pitch together this year!!!

We came out rather lathargic and couldn't find our legs. After the first 10 minutes we started moving the ball like we can. Kept the ball in the Semi half for the remaining 30 and were rewarded with three nice goals (probably should have been several more) while not allowing a shot against. Second half we only had 9 as one player had to go to work, one got injured and two had to go to their club teams. As a result we gave up a few good chances but our keeper was challenged well and managed to take away the shots without making many saves. We even threatened for a few more 2 men down.

It wasn't a pretty game, and I know Semi was missing their key player, but we did what good teams do and found a way to win.

Now hopefully our girls can get a good nights sleep in their own beds, avoid the usual cold/flu that follows an overseas trip, and improve on todays effort as I'm sure Wednesday will be a tough test! See you at South Surrey Captain.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is your keeper a magician, Titan? How did she manage to stop them without making a save? :)

You will be fine on Wedesday, Titan. Hopefully we can keep the game close.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elgin Park 3 - South Delta 1

The Captain was there so no real need for summary. I was really impressed with SD today. They play much more direct than last years edition, but it works for them. They defended and hastled our couple of stars very well and limited our chances. SD could have won if they had got the 2nd goal rather than us. That being said, I think we generated a lot of great chances and could easily have scored 5 or 6.

A tough test today which will benefit both teams as we move on into the Valleys and hopefully Provincials.

Good luck the rest of the way Captain!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Titan, we have no choice but to play this way against a team that has 2 very good players and one excellent player. We finished the last 20 minutes of the game with 4 grade 8s on the field(the goalie in the 2nd half is grade 8). As I mentioned we have a junior team playing in the senior league and we were in our end for good portions. We put together a good 15 minute spell after Elgin's first goal.....our goalie had a tough one on the first goal. Elgin definitely generated more chances but there were a few weaknesses out there....not in the middle of the park or up front. I think we will be a bit more offensive if we were to play again. Our plan was to absorb lots of Elgin's possession and hopefully score on a set piece....which we did. 1 - 1 at the half.....and then Jenna with just over 16 minutes left I think got herself out of a tight area and scored a cracker. As Titan mentioned, we had a great chance to go up 2 - 1 when our striker hit one off the crossbar on a partial breakaway. Jenna is always a threat on the field but our grade 9 girl who was marking her overall, did a pretty good job.

As expected, Elgin Park is the team to beat in our league and likely the Valleys. However, if the 2 center midfielders and/or Jenna is not available, that would decimate the team greatly. What you saw today, Titan, is what you're getting from us. :D We had one person missing but hardly one that is going to change a game. BTW, you really need to get a game ball with air in it. ;) And the poor ref was out of her element too. :( Both teams and coaches found decisions at times......mind boggling. At least she tried.

I heard Seaquam/Panorama Ridge tied today which is great for us as we were fortunate enough to take 3 points from each of them. We play Delta on Monday and then Semi on Wednesday. Semi forfeited today which is shocking. If we are luck enough to beat Delta and Semi, we will finish 2nd which is really good as we will be guaranteed at least one home game in the Valleys......

I enjoyed the effort from our girls today as they did everything they could have to try and contain some very good players. Good luck the Elgin and Titan4life the rest of the way. :)

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't agree with you more. I figured you'd play more direct and you did. You absorbed our pressure and countered well.

Your little defender who I recognized from last year did an excellent job today. She definately was man of the match for your team.

As for your summary of us, I think its pretty accurate. We didn't have a great game today but found a way to make it happen. We are going to need our "Big 3" to be there all the way through the important games if we want to do the damage we think we can. More importantly, we need to start getting a better turnout so that we don't have to play with 11 every game. That will kill us when we get ourselves into tight matches (like today!). This is just our first "real week" together so lots of time to gel.

Good luck South Delta. Hope we can meet, but not til the end of the Valleys or in Provs? Wishful thinking maybe as it will take hard work and a bit of luck to get to both!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Delta 0 South Delta 1

Ugly.......ugly.........ugly. We really struggled today against a Delta team that outworked us and were more physical than us. We looked REALLY tired and lethargic after our tournament on the weekend where we played 6 games. It didn't help that three starters came down sick from the tournament and couldn't even get out of the house today. Delta has a few pretty good players and athletes and I'm really surprised the lost to North Delta 4 - 1 and to Semiamhoo 5 - 0 but then again, those players might not have been there as their coach said this was the first game they had everyone out. Teams change dramatically when a couple of their key players are missing. I'm guessing that is what happened today with Elgin Park against Panorama Ridge.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panorama 2 - Elgin 1

We were hit with the strept throat bug and some injuries. Only were able to field 10 today. We outworked them and had the better chances but just couldn't hold on for the 1-1 draw to at least get a point. Disappointed to see our lenghty winning streak snapped, but its better to have it happen early in the season. Still 3 games left, and with 3 wins we will win the South and move on to Valleys. Just a minor set back, but once we get healthy (fingers crossed), we'll be fine.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panorama 2 - Elgin 1

We were hit with the strept throat bug and some injuries. Only were able to field 10 today. We outworked them and had the better chances but just couldn't hold on for the 1-1 draw to at least get a point. Disappointed to see our lenghty winning streak snapped, but its better to have it happen early in the season. Still 3 games left, and with 3 wins we will win the South and move on to Valleys. Just a minor set back, but once we get healthy (fingers crossed), we'll be fine.

I'm assuming Jenna was one of the 'casualties' today, T4life? She really offers so much to your attack especially in the speed department. Were the Ambrose sisters available at least? :confused:

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Jenna, missing an ambrose, one girl playing had Strep throat, and we were missing 2 forwards, and 2 d-men. Just brutal. Probably won't be any better off tomorrow! Fingers crossed we can get some healthy bodies back or get a couple Jr's up!

poggieandproud

May 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like there are a few excuses out there. Well not with Seaquam. Our first league game ( a 4-0 kicking by SD right Shamrock ) was a coaching error, I must admit. Playing 3 in the back line when the girls don't understand it will kill you!!!! Since then we have gone 3 wins and a tie.We have qualified for the Valleys and are looking forward to a South Zone final!!! The "6" metro players which ( 2 are goalies) that we have, must be dominant or our result will not be favorable.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poggie......no excuses here either.....I'm quite surprised that Elgin was able to get their game postponed today. Nice work on the win over Semi, Poggie. It looks like your game against Elgin has all sorts of ramifications in our short season. You could end up winning the league if you beat them and we lose to Semi, which is entirely possible. If both of you tie and we beat Semi we will finish first.....In such a short league schedule, so many things can happen. As for our game, I think we just happened to have everything go right for us that day.......and we didn't give up any good chances. Should be an interesting last game for everyone next week.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0