Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 World Cup Qualifiers

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. Who's the bitter one? Can't even show my support for David Healy, an all-round great guy. And Rangers' supporter.

GIRUY, Captain Douche Bag.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. Who's the bitter one? Can't even show my support for David Healy, an all-round great guy. And Rangers' supporter.

GIRUY, Captain Douche Bag.

You're getting worse......but I guess that happens over time......

Croatia/OccupiedSix/England/Scotland Loyal

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
World Cup 2010 hosts South Africa officially have opposition for their little tournament next year.

Qualifying over the weekend were the following nations:

The Netherlands
Japan
Australia
South Korea

At this point, I like the Dutch's chances though I'll admit they will probably crash and burn in the quarters.

:D

How about Mexico? They are in serious trouble in CONCACAF qualifying - what could have been for Canada :(

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done to David Healy, also. Two, much anticipated, goals against San Marino. The famine's over.

Nothing to be proud about here....scoring against San Marino is like getting laid at a whorehouse...what did you think was going to happen?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The African tourney has been the weirdest.
Egypt is in bad shape, looks like aAlgeria will come out of their group. That is a surprise.
Cameroon is in the bottom of their group with Gabon on top, that is also very surprising imho.

Canada wouldn't havce stood a chance, regardless who was able to play and who was managing. That is a damaged group of guys.

There may be hope though with FIFA Changing some rules around that would allow players to switch from one country to another based on their age restrictions, the new rule would allow for Jon DeGuzman and Dani Fernandez to come back and play for Canada. Now that DeGuzman looks nowhere near as close to the Dutch squad as he did pre-Euro he may have a change of heart, Dani Fernandez is still in the running of the final 3 guys to be the next Portugal #1 though, so that is unlikely.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for catching us up on 8 month old posts Berg ;)

JBN, I couldn't resist really. I missed this post way back when and to see somebody take pride in scoring on one of Europe's weakest minnows grates me. It's like bragging you dunked on your 6 yr old kid brother in a game of one on one basketball when you're 15....on an 8 foot hoop.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The African tourney has been the weirdest.
Egypt is in bad shape, looks like aAlgeria will come out of their group. That is a surprise.
Cameroon is in the bottom of their group with Gabon on top, that is also very surprising imho.

Canada wouldn't havce stood a chance, regardless who was able to play and who was managing. That is a damaged group of guys.

There may be hope though with FIFA Changing some rules around that would allow players to switch from one country to another based on their age restrictions, the new rule would allow for Jon DeGuzman and Dani Fernandez to come back and play for Canada. Now that DeGuzman looks nowhere near as close to the Dutch squad as he did pre-Euro he may have a change of heart, Dani Fernandez is still in the running of the final 3 guys to be the next Portugal #1 though, so that is unlikely.

DeGuzman, yes. Fernandes no. He has already had 2 caps for the Portuguese senior team, which means he's locked in.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
dezza, he doesn't have full caps in FIFA sanctioned Tourney games, etc. He still technically qualifies.

I don't know that he is light years better than Asmir Begovic though, so that for me is not the biggest issue, I haven't yet seen Fernandes play, Portugal is not necessarily known for their outstanding keepers, yet he was number 1 at Bochum all year.

The fact that we could get DeGuzman back, and even poach other nations players based on qualification is a very interesting thing to look out for.

The one problem that persists is Canada's refusal to cap tie players they are not currently interested in, while every other country's FA on earth does it.

Now that the Dutch have qualified they may cap DeGuzman solely for the purpose that we can't touch him once that is done. it would be brutal for us, but brilliant for them.

he would instantly add pace, versatility, and a scoring threat to our side that we have lacked for a long time.

If you look at Canada though, we stand to lose guys. I'm not sure about how I feel about this new rule change just yet, we'll have to wait it out and see how it develops.

If I'm Stephen Hart, I'm calling Jon DeGuzman right now.

Our guys had a fairly poor group of players together, and beat Cyprus on their turf... We are now higher than 90th in the world, and this might be the only shot Jono has of playing with his Brother, and realistically his shot of being capped by Holland has gone down bigtime.

Mercurial

Sep 17, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
World Cup 2010 hosts South Africa officially have opposition for their little tournament next year.

Qualifying over the weekend were the following nations:

The Netherlands
Japan
Australia
South Korea

At this point, I like the Dutch's chances though I'll admit they will probably crash and burn in the quarters.

How about Mexico? They are in serious trouble in CONCACAF qualifying - what could have been for Canada :(

I'm not to sure about Holland.

They're defence and centre midfielders arnt nearly as good as their attacking midfielders and forwards.

Russia showed that a team that doesnt show fear and puts extensive pressure on their questionable crop of defenders and centre midfielders controlling the game can completly undermine them.

France and Portugal both need new coaches..some of them decisions domenech and queiroz have made the past couple years have been baffling..especially with the talent pool and young players both teams possess.

I think Ivory Coast playing basically on their home continent can be the "darkhorse" of the tourny.

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wouldn't say they're in yet...didn't they move on to the playoff round? Tough luck for the Cro's with a healthy line up they're an entertaining team...but much like the Surrey Strypers they were riddled with injury and forced to play people out of position.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
should be some interesting playoff matchups... from Fifa.com:

Teams will be seeded on the basis of the next FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, which will be published on 16 October. A draw will also be conducted to determine the home teams for the first legs.

The play-offs will be played over two legs on 14 and 18 November 2009. The draw for these matches will be conducted on Monday 19 October 2009 in the Home of FIFA in Zurich.

8 teams in the playoff:

Portugal, Greece, Slovenia, Russia, Bos-Herz, Ukraine, France, Rep Ireland

Go on ...whoever draws the French.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0