Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Senior Boys High School Soccer

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
is there any upcom ing games?
where & when ,7 I as a coach would be pissed if my players left my highschool team to play hpl.............fukin politics amongst parents

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wouldn't the HPL coach and parents be equally upset if the kids left to play HS??? After all, HPL is the far greater committment financially, and in time requirements....??? #Devil'sAdvocate.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's called making decisions.....kids learn to choose what is the right thing to attend based on importance. Bettermirror, our high school team has played 20 games so far so there definitely aren't more games in the HPL and we have practiced once per week since the season has started. It is quite a commitment for the boys but is always right after school UNLESS it is a tournament.

Sid, we play at Enver Creek tomorrow at 3:00. Where are you looking to go watch a game? Where would you be?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's called making decisions.....kids learn to choose what is the right thing to attend based on importance. Bettermirror, our high school team has played 20 games so far so there definitely aren't more games in the HPL and we have practiced once per week since the season has started. It is quite a commitment for the boys but is always right after school UNLESS it is a tournament.

Sid, we play at Enver Creek tomorrow at 3:00. Where are you looking to go watch a game? Where would you be?
captain , I will be in the tri cities(poco)

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS - HS soccer is a shortened/crammed season so citing that you've played 20 games compared to the more minimal number of HPL games doesn't really apply. HPL is in a shortened 7 game warm-up season. BUT, this time next year the teams will be at the end of a comprehensive spring/summer/fall campaign....

For me, on my budget (if I had a greater budget it wouldn't be too much of an issue), $2500 is a big registration fee. So I'd not be even allowing my kid to play HS soccer for risk of injury and thus essentially tossing away the $2500 while playing for another team that's of a lower standard. Unless my kid was paying for it, in which case it'd be their choice no doubt.

I don't mean to take away from high school soccer or anything like that. HS sports are valuable! And I know the kids enjoy it. But based purely on the time commitment involved (February-November!) compared to Sept-Nov (HS) and the financial comparison there really is no choice as to which gets priority. Not to mention the scouting opportunities HPL provides in regards to Whitecaps, BCSA, and the Whitecaps college scouting tourney starting-up....

Again...HS sports are great! I just wonder why anyone would risk the $2500 unless they could truly afford it.....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 2 Enver Creek 3

A tale of two halves. We scored in the first three minutes of the game off a long throw and then managed to give that one back three minutes later thanks to a couple of huge mistakes. I won't say anything else other than that. EC were then awarded a penalty, which was the right call and they went up 2 - 1. They completely outworked us in the first half and if our team doesn't do that to other teams we will rarely be successful. The second half was a completely different story. We tied it 6 minutes into the half on a corner and then proceeded to bombard them with attack after attack. We were awarded a penalty with about 20 minutes left and with all the momentum and it was saved by their grade 9 keeper. The kid is good little keeper and will be good in the future. This was followed by two breakaways within 5 minutes and again, the keeper stopped one and another one was fired over the bar. It was all one way traffic until about 10 minutes to go when they had their first attempt on goal in the second half and that was on a free-kick, which was blocked by the wall. The ref tells me there is two minutes of added time which was totally fair.......and next thing you know, the ball was punted up the park by their keeper and for some reason our back four thought we were attacking and there was no one in position to help with the flick on which went to their tricky striker. He went in on goal and scored from about 20 yards out. An unbelievable way to finish the game for our kids as we were just getting ready to make subs for the beginning of overtime. This was a very tough loss to take for everyone as the game should have been done when the penalty was missed. Having said that, EC had a great chance when it was 2 - 1 to go up 3 - 1 in the first half but our keeper did well to stop the guy on a break. Overall, a fantastic second half, but a very disappointing finish. We play Sullivan Heights tomorrow and we know they are a good team as we played them in league play. We have to win this game or our season is over. If we win, we would have a chance on Monday to qualify with a win against Port Moody OR Heritage Woods. If we lose, it has been a great season, but a disappointing one as I feel this group was very similar to our last team that made it three years ago. Go Devils! Congratulations to Enver Creek, Panorama Ridge, Earl Marriott, and Terry Fox, who have already qualified for the Provincials. With a win today, it would have been 3 teams from our zone but it wasn't to be.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS - HS soccer is a shortened/crammed season so citing that you've played 20 games compared to the more minimal number of HPL games doesn't really apply. HPL is in a shortened 7 game warm-up season. BUT, this time next year the teams will be at the end of a comprehensive spring/summer/fall campaign....

For me, on my budget (if I had a greater budget it wouldn't be too much of an issue), $2500 is a big registration fee. So I'd not be even allowing my kid to play HS soccer for risk of injury and thus essentially tossing away the $2500 while playing for another team that's of a lower standard. Unless my kid was paying for it, in which case it'd be their choice no doubt.

I don't mean to take away from high school soccer or anything like that. HS sports are valuable! And I know the kids enjoy it. But based purely on the time commitment involved (February-November!) compared to Sept-Nov (HS) and the financial comparison there really is no choice as to which gets priority. Not to mention the scouting opportunities HPL provides in regards to Whitecaps, BCSA, and the Whitecaps college scouting tourney starting-up....

Again...HS sports are great! I just wonder why anyone would risk the $2500 unless they could truly afford it.....

Bettermirror, good players will get noticed in any league they play in as long as people are made aware of them. We all know that high school soccer is NOT usually the place where coaches look for players. It has always been club soccer even when it was Metro/Gold etc. The only time players might normally look at the players is if they qualify for Provincials and usually that is only the local coaches that come out to watch. I've talked to many of the years about players coming up and who to watch out for but ultimately they play all year round for other teams.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 4 Sullivan Heights 0

The boys were focused from the start and scored another early goal which set the tone for the game. We didn't give one right back and gave them very few chances. We live for another day and now play Heritage Woods at home as they upset Port Moody. YES! I wasn't looking forward to travelling to Port Moody. Monday is THE go or go home game as a win would put us in the Provincials and a loss would end the season. :( Let's go Devils!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 2 Heritage Woods 1

Going to Provincials..........BAM! Boys performed very well for most of the game particularly at the start....BLITZKRIEG worked to perfection going up 1-0 after 6 minutes.......despite a DIABOLICAL display by the man in the middle, we kept going and got the win. Well done to the Boys. I'm thrilled for all of them. Go DEVILS!

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blitzkrieg. Love it. I remember "BLITZKRIEG 88" being spray painted on the water tower on my walk to TJS and SDSS back in the day.

SDSSGrad93Forever

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, we play Terry Fox tomorrow at home to see who is playing for the 3rd and 4th place on Thursday or the 5th and 6th place game. Go Devils!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 3 Terry Fox 1 - very little energy in this game.....they scored two own goals.

South Delta 1 Panorama Ridge 2 - a better game of football but both teams were not pushing things too much. They scored two goals in the last 10 minutes to grab 3rd place in the Valley. We're very happy to be top 4 when there were 36 teams in AAA this year in the Valley.

Go Devils!

A

anonymous

So these are the teams that have qualified for Provincials (I'm not sure who came out of North Central).
Anyone know when the draw comes out?

Argyle (NSBNW #1)
Burnaby South (NSBNW #2)
McMath (Van/Rich #1)
McNair (Van/Rich #2)
St George's (Van/Rich #3)
Enver Creek (FV #1)
Earl Marriott (FV #2)
Panorama Ridge (FV #3)
South Delta (FV #4)
North Surrey (FV #5)
Terry Fox (FV #6)
Dover Bay (VI #1)
Claremont (VI #2)
Salmon Arm (Okanagan)
Mount Baker (Kootenays)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure Anonymous......I'm trying to find out right now.........Should be some great match-ups in the tourney and it is WIDE OPEN in terms of who is going to be champion...moreso than in previous years.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here are the pools for anyone who is interested......

Pool A

McMath
Burnaby South
South Delta
North Peace

Pool B

Enver Creek
Claremont
Salmon Arm
Terry Fox

Pool C

Argyle
Panorama Ridge
St. George's
North Surrey

Pool D

Dover Bay
Earl Marriott
McNair
Mt. Baker

Pool A and Pool C definitely look to be a little tougher.....but it's almost impossible to say when we haven't seen all of the teams.

We play at 9:00 and 1:00 on Thursday against Burnaby South and McMath, two VERY difficult games against Vancouver/Richmond #1 and Burnaby/North Shore/New West #2.

A

anonymous

Captain... do you know if they have sort of contingency plan if it were to snow again this year?

The tournament does look wide open... should be some good football in each pool.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anonymous, it was discussed but it basically a hope to hell it doesn't snow because getting any facility is an issue especially on the Saturday. There is the cost too...Burnaby is noticeably the cheapest. I would hope the Burnaby Parks would be able to use something to clear the fields but that wasn't an option last year.....let's just hope at this point. What school are you with, Anonymous?

Acid Tongue

Feb 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As an HPL coach I am not going to get into the pros and cons of HPL players playing High School.A courtesy phone call would be nice to at least discuss expectations. Bottom line is the HPL coaches can very easily stop their players from playing High School.I have never done this myself,however, when I have counted on the High School coaches to manage these players while away at Tournaments I have found some Coaches really didn't seem to worried about the HPL teams that these players have made a first commitment too.This has been a much bigger issue for the girls as they have Provincial Cup concerns that conflict with the girls High School schedule at that time of the year. With the HPL season coming to an end next year in November for the boys with Provincials and possible Nationals on the line you will find a lot more coaches(HPL) not allowing their players to play High School soccer in Oct.,Nov. Might be easier for the girls in April ,May though.

I wish all the High School players the best of luck and hope they do have a positive and memorable experience!

BROWN ALE

Jan 27, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
As an HPL coach I am not going to get into the pros and cons of HPL players playing High School.A courtesy phone call would be nice to at least discuss expectations. Bottom line is the HPL coaches can very easily stop their players from playing High School.I have never done this myself,however, when I have counted on the High School coaches to manage these players while away at Tournaments I have found some Coaches really didn't seem to worried about the HPL teams that these players have made a first commitment too.This has been a much bigger issue for the girls as they have Provincial Cup concerns that conflict with the girls High School schedule at that time of the year. With the HPL season coming to an end next year in November for the boys with Provincials and possible Nationals on the line you will find a lot more coaches(HPL) not allowing their players to play High School soccer in Oct.,Nov. Might be easier for the girls in April ,May though.

I wish all the High School players the best of luck and hope they do have a positive and memorable experience!

I am not to sure how an HPL coach could "stop" players from playing. My opinion is that as long as these players are paying to play and not being payed to play it is up to them to do as they want. What would an HPL coach do if the entire team decided to go against the coach and play for their schools?...would he or she cut the entire team?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do u stop a kid in the HPL from playing high school soccer with a university scholarship possibly on the line?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0