Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Senor Girls High School Soccer

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I just found out today that the Coastal HPL coaches have told their girls that they have to now decide and choose between School or Club soccer. As a result, we may lose up to 5 girls for the remainder of our season.

I understand that coaches don't want their girls overplayed and or injured, but come on. How can making them quit on a team be teaching them good sportsmanship, team work and ethics. Just brutal to put a girl in that kind of situation. Unfair to say the least.

As someone who coaches at the school level, and formerly at club level I just don't get it. Absolutely gutted.

Guess this increases your chances a bit for tmrw Captain. Maybe no Friday game for you after all.

Totally agree. It should be the kids decision to play or not. If they are having fun and enjoying high school sports, let them play. We've had the same problem in Richmond, especially with the boys, as a few Richmond Metro coaches have highly discouraged their players from playing high school soccer, and even threatened to take away playing time because of it.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let me clarify that it wasn't specifically Coastal coaches. But that's not the point.

Even more frustrating is that this week and next are it for the girls season. What a stupid time to lay down an ultimatum! Play the 5 week season and then say, "Now that's its playoffs and really matters, we want you to quit". Absolute rubbish.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dealing with it the last two months, T4life....but in fact two of the players are actually on the Surrey United U16 team......that is the team who has given the ultimatum. Either way, both teams will play who they have on the park and both teams with enjoy playing and competing for their school.........and imagine this......the kids will get something out of it too! Hard to believe even with terrible high school soccer and terrible high school soccer coaches because the best coaches are all getting paid. It's all about OWNERSHIP AND ANGLES.

You'll have all your players there tomorrow, T4life, and we will hopefully make a game of it. See you then.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy, I couldn't imagine anyone telling me I couldn't play soccer for anyone at that age. My Dad just wanted me to be playing and playing often.....and in different environments......and in different roles. I started as a left winger on my high school team which I had never played before. :D That didn't last long mind you but it was nice to try something different. Mr. Mosher, my UBC coach let me play for Club Ireland on Sundays as we always played on Friday and Saturdays. He knew it meant a lot to me and he respected that. Sadly, VERY FEW of the coaches respect what the kids want to do and give them ultimatums, which makes it very difficult for the kid. Somewhere, mind you, the parent has to have enough 'stones' to step up and tell a coach that their kid really wants to play school soccer IF they actually do. But that isn't happening either.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
SD 1 - Elgin 0

South Delta came out ready to play and we didn't. They play a good high pressure game but really just defend and hope to counter. Unfortunately for us, and fortunate for them, they are great at defending forcing a mistake and countering excellently. They did just that twice in the 1st half and got a nice goal on a great counter off of a defensive mistake.

Second half was better from us as SD had nothing in the way of offense. But we just didn't have it today and went out with a whimper.

Now its into the consolation round. Only 8 confirmed bodies for tomorrow. Without some help from the Juniors it looks like we will fall short of provincials by 1 win for the second straight year.

Congrats to the Captain and South Delta on a 12th straight provincial berth. You and your girls deserved it. Great job today. Now go beat Fleetwood and Best so I don't have to be even more mad/sad than I already am.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No disrespect, T4life, but we didn't counter the first half. We had a blatant penalty denied, we hit the crossbar, had two breakways from angles which just missed while you had NO shots on goal. We should have been up 3 - 0 at the half at least........that was when we were playing a 4-3-3..........which is hardly a defensive formation looking for a counter-attack. The second half was completely different. We limited your team to one shot on goal from about 25 yards out which was a one bouncer into our keeper's arms. We played a 5-3-2 in the second half in order to stop your team trying to get the ball wide and get crosses in. It worked. We didn't push for goals in the second half but definitely did the first half hence our formation. We knew you saw a totally different team last week than we had today and went for it in the first half. It was a bit of a gamble because you have a good team but it worked. Limiting a team to one shot, two crosses, and three corners in a game is pretty decent. Good luck tomorrow, T4life. I hope you get all the players there because your team is definitely good enough to make Provincials.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No disrespect, T4life, but we didn't counter the first half. We had a blatant penalty denied, we hit the crossbar, had two breakways from angles which just missed while you had NO shots on goal. We should have been up 3 - 0 at the half at least........that was when we were playing a 4-3-3..........which is hardly a defensive formation looking for a counter-attack. The second half was completely different. We limited your team to one shot on goal from about 25 yards out which was a one bouncer into our keeper's arms. We played a 5-3-2 in the second half in order to stop your team trying to get the ball wide and get crosses in. It worked. We didn't push for goals in the second half but definitely did the first half hence our formation. We knew you saw a totally different team last week than we had today and went for it in the first half. It was a bit of a gamble because you have a good team but it worked. Limiting a team to one shot, two crosses, and three corners in a game is pretty decent. Good luck tomorrow, T4life. I hope you get all the players there because your team is definitely good enough to make Provincials.

I agree you could have been up 2 or 3 at half. That may have been a fair score line. Regardless of formation it worked as a defensive system that lead to mistakes and quick attacks. Other teams will struggle with that. I expect you to be in the final come Thursday!

As for us, I think we have 12 bodies today to face QE. Hopefully it's enough to get us to Monday. Then it's a one game win and you're in! If not I'd be disappointed, but sometimes it's not always meant to be.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elgin 5 - QE 0

We struggled the first half and missed a few half chances. Second half was better and we put in 5. They didnt get a shot all game so pretty comfortable from that stand point. But still some work to be done in the final third.

Overall a good effort that gives us another shot at a win and berth into provincials. On to Monday!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panorama Ridge 1 South Delta 2 (OT) - We were completely outplayed in the first half but were up 1 - 0 until the last kick of the first half which was a fanastic own goal by our centre back. Don't think she could do that again if she tried to. :) We were the better team in the second half and in the first half of overtime, when we had the wind at our back and managed to score the winner in the first half of overtime. Our 'keeper' made a fantastic save in the last few minutes of OT to preserve the win. I really like the PR coaching staff and I'm very happy they made it through to Provincials. They have some tidy players.

Top 6 from the Valley have now qualified.

Terry Fox
South Delta

Charles Best
Fleetwood Park
Panorama Ridge
Clayton Heights

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terry Fox 3 South Delta 0 - They were the better team on the day though the score flattered them a bit with a horrible miss on offside on the second goal 20 minutes into the second half and a late hand ball for a PK. No excuses but when your main threat is away at Provincial practice(fair enough) and a starting centre back goes on a bike trip instead, it makes things a little more difficult. Having said that, it's never a good thing to arrive to the field at 3:23 for a 3:30 kick-off...and that was the case for 9 of the 14 players(parent drivers who took different routes)....They scored 10 minutes in when we were still warming up apparently. :D We rattled the post before half-time which might have changed things but it wasn't to be. We had one good chance when it was 1 - 0 but after that we had NOTHING on goal that was a threat. The missing players took its' toll as we truly need everyone to be there to be competitive. Congratulations to Terry Fox who fully deserved the win on the day. They are a physical team who work very hard and they are going to be a difficult opponent for any teams to break down......though if the ref calls them on a lot of their overly-aggressive play, they might not be as successful. They do have some pace too.....

We are thrilled to finish second in the Valley after the stuff that has gone on over the last 3.5 weeks so no complaints here. Go Devils. Twelve in a row is still an amazing run by all the kids.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No excuses except for a missed offside, a late handball, a provincial practice, a bike trip and parents taking a bad route to the field. Did I get that right?

zing

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp....like I said no excuses. The other team deserved to win the game. I made that clear. I mentioned the other things because our team doesn't have a fantastic bench and with those things not happening, it was going to be very difficult. The fact we didn't score a goal should have been enough for you and the 'likers' to figure that out. The offside goal didn't effect the fact they won the game as we didn't score. Yes, the kids geting to the field late DIDN'T HELP things but I never said that was the reason we lost the game. I said the reason we lost the game was the other team was better on the day. Convenient to miss that part of it........

Zing :rollingeyes:

Congratulations to Terry Fox who fully deserved the win on the day.

They were the better team on the day though the score flattered them a bit

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Provincials draw came out yesterday......Lots of parity in the groups this year and no clear cut favorite....

Group A

Terry Fox
McMath
Oak Bay
Clayton Heights

Group B

Kelowna
Handsworth
Panorama Ridge
Kitsilano

Group C

Argyle
South Delta
Churchill
Mt. Baker

Group D

Stelly's
Fleetwood
Charles Best
Burnaby South

Games start at 9:00 and are every two hours.......at Inter-River in North Vancouver.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wide open this year with some pretty interesting groups.

Disappointed not to be there, but hope that SD will rep the south zone of he valley well. Good luck Captain.

That said I would guess PR, Argyle, McMath and Best will win their groups.

Best of luck to everyone.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, T4life, no disrespect to PR but I think they have the toughest group of all but they certainly have a couple of weapons on the team. McMath will have a tough time with Terry Fox and depending on what team Charles Best has out....I imagine it will be all of them this time. I think Argyle going in is probably slight favorites as I mentioned but there are many teams who could win it. But having said that, your picks could very well come through!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A fantastic tournament by the wee Devils.

South Delta 4 Churchill 0 - This was likely our best game of the year where everything fell into place.

South Delta 1 Mount Baker 0 - This was a big let down after the first game and it would eventually bite us in the bum

South Delta 1 Argyle 1 - We needed to win and went for it early on. We managed to score after about 15 minutes and defended brilliantly until the last 4 minutes...turnover in the middle of the park...fantastic cross and a great header to put Argyle through. They had 8 goals for and 2 against and we had 6 goals for and 1 against. I thought the girls deserved better but that's the cruelty of this type of draw.

South Delta 1 Stelly's 0 - Both teams had heart break in the morning giving up late goals to see us both dropped to second place in the group but once again our girls battled very hard with a bigger more experienced Stelly's team, who won the Island Championship this year

South Delta 2 Kelowna 3 - Another fantastic effort despite losing three players for this games.....Kelowna had some pace and our goalie who has been great for us since stepping up from junior had a tough game. First half in particular was very entertaining to watch.

I couldn't have been more proud to be a Devil this weekend. The only game which let us down a bit was the Mount Baker game as one or two more goals would have allowed us to go through with a draw against Argyle but it wasn't to be. Argyle went on to beat Charles Best 1 - 0 in the semi-final and Oak Bay 1 - 0 in the final. SOOOOOO close this year but a WONDERFUL group of kids this year and as usual......plenty of tears as the season came to a close. No one can EVER tell me high school soccer should not be played by 'elite' players. It is an experience that is NOTHING like any other team.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0