Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I've read and learned, and from comments coming out of camp....

Erice looks to be solidly ahead of Tiebert, as does Filipe. Hwang is young, but on question of talent that is damn obvious from highlights, he's dynamic. For him it's really only a matter of time, and that's assuming MDS breaks him in slowly, say over 4-6 weeks. Seems like Rose would slot in behind Tiebert, and if I were DNJ, I'd be getting a bite at his ankles and an elbow into his ribs every chance I get over the next week.

Filipe looked like shite last year. Nothing went right for him either on the pitch or off, so here's hoping the clean slate has him back to his old self, who we hated playing against the caps. Tiebert moved ahead of him last year, IMO. Frankly, I'd like him moved out, too, but he's just been given an extension, that ain't happening. It'll be interesting to see where the chips fall after camp. Many feel it is Filipe settling in ahead of Tiebert. TBH, I don't love that.

I don't necessarily want MDS to force the issue w/ the young guys, there just needs to be MORE than past regimes, who seemed outright petrified to put them in, and that magnifies the pressure once called upon. I'd rather see him blood one of them early, see how he does, and keep up a pattern of that. Once these guys have some actual MLS minutes behind them, see where they are at. That is, of course, with the expectation that they are doing everything expected in camp to earn it, not expecting it through entitlement. My feeling is any sense of entitlement has been scrubbed out quickly under MDS.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Filipe looked like shite last year. Nothing went right for him either on the pitch or off, so here's hoping the clean slate has him back to his old self, who we hated playing against the caps. Tiebert moved ahead of him last year, IMO. Frankly, I'd like him moved out, too, but he's just been given an extension, that ain't happening. It'll be interesting to see where the chips fall after camp. Many feel it is Filipe settling in ahead of Tiebert. TBH, I don't love that.

Felipe led the Whitecaps last year in touches, chances created, total successful passes and successful passes ending in the final third. Maybe it wasn't him that was shite, but those around him?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Felipe led the Whitecaps last year in touches, chances created, total successful passes and successful passes ending in the final third. Maybe it wasn't him that was shite, but those around him?

Yes, I can buy into this argument as well. But still...eyeball test, That said, our tactical genius had him playing in a holding role for most the season. Like, WTF and honestly, I think most of Filipe's problems were coaching related, and then second to that teammate related. He gets a clean slate and benefit of the doubt.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
and honestly, I think most of Filipe's problems were coaching related, and then second to that teammate related. He gets a clean slate and benefit of the doubt.
My understanding is that there were a lot of coaching related issues

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some tweets out there on AFTN about advanced talks with Bryan Ruiz. Question is, is he passed it now?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We still need an experienced goal scorer! Rumours of Montero and Ruiz. I'd pick Montero as he's a proven scorer in the league and Ruiz was never a prolific goal scorer if I recall correctly. Guiseppe Rossie is available! haha

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL All-Stars drew Sunderland once in a summer friendly, anything is possible. I put zero credence into that result.

The real issue is new CB Godoy, who has actually been referred to as a "Young Veteran". Total copyright infringement.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also TFC got demolished by Vegas USL 5-1 a couple weeks ago. Pre-season results are irrelevant, it's all about getting match fitness and trying different combinations.

Always nice to see Toronto get embarrassed though...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

Our squad was a mix of 20 year old "Young Veterans" like Dave Norman Jr. (MLS Match appearances: 0), and residency kids.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong. We have been fielding a decent squad in the first half of each game and then the younger kids and trialists come on in the second half. MDS can't find a way to score against a 6th division Japanese side in the first half and he's supposed be the man with the plan? Sure.

I know we don't have our new signings here but we should have close to our starting lineup together in preseason with less than a month to go before the season effing opener. Look at Cyrstal Palace's starting lineup vs us a couple years back...stacked and with weeks to go before the season started. We do things stupid here. Period.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

Our squad was a mix of 20 year old "Young Veterans" like Dave Norman Jr. (MLS Match appearances: 0), and residency kids.

He scored our only goal the other game. A nice run to get in front of his marker for a diving header!

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

There's the midfield trio that most said would keep Tiebert on the sidelines.
Reyna upfront with Levis on the left flank. He was an attacking midfielder in college I believe.
Henry and Sutter may well be starters.

It's a decent squad who should have done better in the first half imo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.11.38 PM.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.11.38 PM.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 10

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I stand corrected. I didn't look at the starting 11, only took note of who was on in the 2nd.

Still say it means sweet fcuk all. Literally, I put zero magnitude on this.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even assuming they were playing the kids, not exactly a ringing endorsement for the academy the claim is brimming with MLS ready talent...

didn't even know Japan had a sixth division... well, not that kind of sixth division anyway...

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What would the VMSL Premier be over in the UK? 3rd? 4th?
You are joking?
Aren't you?
They would be in the lower division of non-league.
Even non-league standard in England is a much higher standard than any leagues over here.
Some non-league teams own their own grounds & pay their players a decent wage.
Many of the players playing there have been in academies growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0