Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 on 3 Tournament Winners at BC Place

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
didnt the boo win the AA that year 89 :confused:
they also played loads of club teams (globetrotters & the lions) :confused:

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB
Shut your yap and put together a TTP 3 on 3! Reccos can ref.

Sandman was always a huge Dook fan, even back in our high school days.

Disbrow packed up the tent for Captain's senior year. The year before Captain Richmond goes to California, the year after Captain, New York. Captain's year: Oregon! :eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
YEs, Disbrow bottled it our year. I honestly think we would have made the BC's(not won them of course) if he gave a shite our year. A trip to Portland on a van swirving all over the road due to tropical storm winds was not fun. On top of that, our hotel was in East Burnside, which happened to be in the top 10 in the states in terms of crimes per capita. We had hookers/pimps in the parking lot of our hotel. So to say he didn't gave a **** could not have been more accurate. I would have to say that the best atmosphere I have ever played in was the Richmond/Steveston games. Couldn't breathe in the gym with the amount of people that were packed into the gym. The fire marshall obviously didn't matter then. The legs went to rubber when you were shooting a free throw with the amount of noise......"Please don't shoot an airball, please don't shoot an airball......." Ah, the memories. I think a TTP 3 on 3 tourney would be an interesting proposition. Of course, there were have to be over-36 categories and so.....

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the best seat watching the Richmond/Steveston rivalry......On the Steveston bench. :) It was the best of times.......Trying to break a sweat during the warm-up was the most challenging part. Combine that with the high fives during time-outs and ensuring that the water bottle didn't dribble down my warm-up required concentraion. I always sat at the end of the bench. Next to the Cheerleaders........Watching WAB, Tait, Putzi, Dewit running the fast break was pretty good.

The Dematha High School game at War Memorial was a dandy!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the Preece boys (3 of them i think) played at ND, along with Chad Johnson who wore that god aweful back brace that must have been illegal.
Only decent player i can remember from MEI was Prentice Lenz. Pretty good soccer player too.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
I fear it'll only lead to him popping over to mums house, digging around in the crawl space and counting up his sports day ribbons.

No sports day ribbons but i do still have these on the shelf...............i mean in the closet.

:D

Career stats coming soon. Need to dig out my moms sports collage with all my pictures and stats.

B

Blahzay

Captain Shamrock said:
I would have to say that the best atmosphere I have ever played in was the Richmond/Steveston games. Couldn't breathe in the gym with the amount of people that were packed into the gym.
I think a North Delta/Seaquam game could compare quite easily to that.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think a North Delta/Seaquam game could compare quite easily to that.

It probably could, if you're from either school. Otherwise, not to be biased, I think the Richmond/Steveston rivalry in the late 70s to the early 90s was second to none. During most of those years, they were decent teams too(except my grade 12 year :D ) so that made the games that much better. Who could ever forget when they played in the final? Fantastic stuff. I used to watch the games from 1979 on, as my best friend at the time, Glen Tait, had a brother, Alan, who was the best scorer EVER in high school basketball. He averaged 33 points a game and there was NO three-point line. He would have been over 40 a game, if there was. He could shoot NBA 3's with ease and ended up going to Oregon State and played with Lester Connor, AC Green, and Steve Johnson under the tutelage of legend, Ralph Miller(R.I.P.).

Ah, the memories.........again.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shamrock, did you ever go to Disbrow's "recruitment camps" at his cabin on the Sunshine Coast. I know that a Sentinel coach had similar "recruitment camps" for girls nearby. Needless to say, everyone wanted to be a Super Colt afterwards. ;)

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think what made those great Steveston/Richmond games so good, wasn't just the rivalry, but the 2 gymasiums.
Richmond had steep, permanent bleechers rising right to the top of the gym roof line (the roof was raised at the point where the stands rose) which made you fell like people were on top of you. Couple that with the tight end lines and short court. Steveston's gym was small and had stands on both sides.

What is good to see is that many schools around are revitalizing basketball and the crowds are big.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
Shamrock, did you ever go to Disbrow's "recruitment camps" at his cabin on the Sunshine Coast. I know that a Sentinel coach had similar "recruitment camps" for girls nearby. Needless to say, everyone wanted to be a Super Colt afterwards. ;)
It was a lot of fun the times I went.....you just had to avoid the Chappel!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fortunately, I can say that I avoided the camp. Or perhaps he didn't care enough about our year to invite us. :D So, no, I didn't go there.

Notcher

Sep 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda-I watched you guys take the Western Canada basketball tourney in Kelowna.
The semis against the hometown Owls (sporting 5 players who went on to play CIAU)
was one of the best games I ever saw at the highschool level....
My squad was lowly George Elliot (grad class of 72 people) AA champs '91
beating the Lmabrick Park boys and 6'11 Brendan Graves...the best AA year ever as far as talent goes

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda...shady refereeing in the '89 semi-final earned you a spot in the final at the Agrodome. Unlucky year for Kitsilano that year...first their star player went missing in the Caribbean over the xmas break and then questionable reffing (8 disallowed points due to phantom travels) in the semi vs Pitt. I think there should be a big, fat *on your blue ribbon.

WAB...yes, I've heard stories about the Chappel. I recently heard an interesting one about you as well...junior high...science class. ;)

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial, if your not bullshitting, that's a freakish memory you have. It was a sad circumstance that year for Kits to lose thier best player. But it could very easily have been just an injury as well. Things happen, although i don't think anything could have stopped us that year.
Even better than that was beating Richmond the game before to get there.
I think our goal for the year was just to beat Richmond, whether we won the bc's or not. That was the year all the talk started about Disbrow and his recruiting and Goulet did not like him one bit.

Notcher, Graves was a great player. Who went on to CIAU from the Owls?

Oh, the memories are flowing back now!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK Dial you bastard. I've been trying to remember the guys name from Kits and finally got it. Akron Eger............I think.

Went to watch the UCFV college Women's team play last night (wife's alma mater) and both our ex-teammates now coach.Dial, if your memory is as good as you say it is, you'll remember Al Tuchscherer from the '89 championships.

Pace is a bit faster than when she played but good basketball. Weird to see all the old highschool coaches there coaching or watching. Saw Eberhardt there (now Cap boys coach), and Rich Chambers, who is now helping with SFU, Terry Fox High boys, and Womens' National now.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Speaking of 'recruiting trips' to cabins? How as Rich Goulet as a coach?

You mean the only coach to win a senior boys title in AA and AAA?

Interesting character personally, but a hell of a coach.
I'm sure you've heard some weird stories about him but nothing odd happened when we played for him. He just loved to rant and rave....and the occasional spit flying when he got talking so fast he couldn't control himself.

He did his own summer camps too, but not "those" kind of camps. ;)

Funny, when i watched Pitt play last week, a father of one of the opposing teams players came up to him at the end of the game and told him that he didn't like the way he coached and yelled, swore, and berrated his players............Goulet told him to Fcuk Off!!!

Classic Coach G.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0