Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 on 3 Tournament Winners at BC Place

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda...my memory is not that good. I thought Preece went to MEI, remember? I recall MEI had another decent player other than Prentice, but his name slips my memory. Regardless, I still remember that semi-final. Poor, Tony Poole probably still has nightmares about those 4 traveling calls against him.

Some memorable allstars and MVPs from this Van College website.

https://www.vc.bc.ca/zope/vc/activities/sports/basketball/EmeraldHistory

Yes, it was Acron Eger. Sad story of a kid with scholarship offers out his ying yang who goes on a Caribbean holiday with his family, only to venture onto a speedboat that was targeted by pirates. He and his family were never seen nor heard of again.

Personally, in today's school environment, I cannot believe the stuff that some coaches get away with...especially in the valley. But then again, basketball parents in the valley are more beligerent than the coaches.

Still, you cannot put on your "teacher's cap" in the morning and tell everyone that they must all behave appropriately and be socially responsible, but then after school put on your "coach's cap" and go against everything you've been preaching earlier in the day. Hypocrites.

I'm off to New West tonight to catch the 3/4 (New West vs St.George's) and 1/2 (McMath vs Kitsilano) game. Apparently, the SG coach (Brian Lee) did his best Rich Chambers/Paul Eberhardt impersonation last night and was ejected for blowing a gasket. Speaking of recruitment...I'm not sure any school can offer what SG's does (so I'm told).

B

Blahzay

On topic of coaches...Ted Murray for the ND Huskies is one of the more entertaining ones you'll come across, at 5'2 with a nervous breakdown coming after every defensive lapse he's usually more interesting than the game itself. Playing and practising for the guy is a blast though as there is never a dull moment. Him being relatively new to the coaching scene at ND he will have his hands full as it's turning into an 8-12 school and the junior highs in Delta are doing the same. No more 3 junior highs combining into an 11 and 12 all star team :( .

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
ken dockendorf out in maple ridge can scare the shite out of you. never seen a man go into a deeper shade of red in a rage. he was a big fan of the exploding water bottle and/or clipboard toss in the changeroom at half time. don't even get me started with practices. still have nightmares...

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Doc was definately very heated. I imagine it was entertaining to watch Doc and Coach G during league games. It was like a "who can yell louder" match.

Dial, definately some familiar names there. Berger, Johnson, Zawada, Williscroft.
I remember in a summer league i pulled on a a breakaway to take a charge on Williscroft...........he went over me and dunked it. :rolleyes:

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda said:
Interesting character personally, but a hell of a coach.
I'm sure you've heard some weird stories about him but nothing odd happened when we played for him.
Classic Coach G.

Did he still make his players strip down and run around the gym naked if they missed practise free throws? Coach G Early 80s.

We had a coach that insisted all players have a mandatory shower after all games.....that was the time and place he'd address the players about the game and have his daily shower as well. Classics or not, I always knew these coaches were all fcuked in the head, and up the ass!

Throw in Chaps "The Gimp" and I couldn't imagine what these wierdos did.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
Yoda
Yes, it was Acron Eger. Sad story of a kid with scholarship offers out his ying yang who goes on a Caribbean holiday with his family, only to venture onto a speedboat that was targeted by pirates. He and his family were never seen nor heard of again.

1st time I saw him was at he Richmond tourney. He was in grade 11. We were hammering Kits by 25, but Acron was schooling Putzi (never a good defender) and fist pumping everytime. He always felt he could bring them back. I realized right then that the kid was special; a true competitor that never gave up. He was awesome.....What a loss for BC sports.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The playoff articles have been running every Monday for a few weeks now. Richmond 88 is in the final against a great New Westminster 56 team. Next Monday is the hypothetical Championship.

My vote goes to WAB and the 88 clan.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats are in order to WAB and the rest of the 1988 Richmond Colts, winners of The Province's "BC AAA Tournament Of The Ages".

Graciously listed at 5'10 (and they spelled your name right), Wevers was listed as a "probable starter" in Richmond's fantasy 78-74 victory over the 1956 Lester Pearson Mikes.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is all wrong. Where does "probable" comes from?! Bullcrap, I was 5'11". :D . Living in the past is awesome.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hoop it up (3 on 3) is on this weekend at SFU. Is anyone entered or going? There's usually some pretty good ball on centre court.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll be 'working' up there on Sunday :)

I love my new job(s). I'm sure the sights will be grand if the weather holds up :mad:

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
1st time I saw him was at he Richmond tourney. He was in grade 11. We were hammering Kits by 25, but Acron was schooling Putzi (never a good defender) and fist pumping everytime. He always felt he could bring them back. I realized right then that the kid was special; a true competitor that never gave up. He was awesome.....What a loss for BC sports.

Here's a great article about Acron Eger's disappearance 20 years later. The article quotes Disbrow and Putzi.

Acron Eger's shadow

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great blast from the past.
Kits was still favoured to win that game against Pitt, even without him.
I was hoping for a matchup between him and Derek Welsh, our point guard and eventual BC's MVP that year. Both were putting up 40 and 50 point games. Would have been a great dual.

Unfortunate and terrible incident to say the least.

bill_n_opus

Jan 5, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great article ... I read it and got some serious flashbacks from back in the day (not drug related)

Did anyone witness the UBC Thunderbird tournament where Putzi's Richmond team participated alonside some big time US schools? Well, the one big time school was DeMatha Catholic which was top 10 ranked nationally plus had future NBA'er and first round pick in Jerrod Mustaf? The other team was iirc Franklin HS from Washington, top team in the state.

Will never forget it. Awesome tourney.

*edit* I realize now after reading the full thread that some of the members here played for Richmond back in the day.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0