Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada MNT: Road to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honestly soccer coach you're not bringing new concepts. I'm happy to see Campo Athletico have a good season and have passionate soccer people behind them. However playing the ball on the ground and being a skilled team is nothing new locally. Do you really think no other teams have played this style? Seriously ? Do you think you have IT figured and the rest of us just don't have a clue? Christ man get over yourself.
You know guys. You really make a lot of assumptions, and put a lot of words that I am not saying. But to answer your question, very few teams play this way here (I guess Rinos with Blaise, Coquitlam Metro Ford, and we at a lower level but with slight difference).

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach,
You do come across as you know it and the rest don't. Assuming what guys do. Assuming we coach guys to blast at net.
How is giving rewards to players that listen a bad thing? It's girls. People like to get rewarded no?

You finished last in div1. And now winning div2. Is that massive? Am I missing something?

And maybe just maybe. A team with 7 goals against in a division is a good team needing to go up a division. Do it again next year in a higher division. Then come talking that what your doing is so different.

In saying that, our u21 team needs to play a team above their level and get ready for provincials. Let's set up a friendly in the next two weeks or so. As I'm sure you want to stay sharp for the B provincials.

Then I will get to see this magic first hand and learn so much from playing you guys.
Game?
1) Yes, dude. You are right. There are dimensions to the game that you really do not know or are even aware that exist. the same for me and our players; there are things that we do not know that you know.
2) The team finished last in division 1 and then second last in division 2, and now is in cup finals and fighting for promotion. really fun and exciting season for us. A good turn around for our guys.
3) As much, as I would like to play you. We have VMSL Cup, Provincial Cup, VMSL promotion game, Multicultural League and Richmond League Division 1. No room for more games and to be honest I am getting burn out.
4) You will learn as much as you want to. However, I will give you a true pearl of wisdom. If you want to learn to play soccer well you need to take ballet/fencing classes.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach wrote;

c) The ball travelling towards the net. It is on the ground and more a pass than a direct shot. This is taught and encouraged. I have never heard a coach here said to the player when is front of the net make a pass to the net. It is all about blasting at full force (which most of the time does not result in a goal). Look at all the wide shots of the Canadian players in these two games. The use power rather than a gentle pass to the net.

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

I think you have your head so far up your own ass you have no idea. How have you never heard a coach say pick a corner and place it?
Where do you hang? Who has coached you?
Do you seriously think our Canadian coaches don't say this? That we teach to blast balls?

Yes our Canadians missed the net and tried to blast it. Must be how we coach them? You for real here?
Larin was I believe top 5 in scoring last year in MLS. Were they all blasts?
Your telling me he can't slot a ball bottom corner? fcuking coaches he had eh??
Dude giving out ice cream to girls that listen and execute or make an effort of what he is teaching them, no wonder our national team can't score. Hahahha. Your nuts man.

Amigo, you are the one with no clue. As your so far off with some of your comments its nutty.

Like you said. Tecatito did that a thousand times in the streets of Monterray.
Neymar where did he learn all the creativeness etc? Ronaldhino?

Do you think a coach created Ronaldhino?
Or was it his culture and his passion for the game that pushed him to that level. Those thousands of hours of living soccer every second of his life. All the freedom of JUST playing when he was young. Having fun. Loving the game.
These countries have the CULTURE for this sport. Our kids play street hockey or video games. They are not playing for "fun" on the streets and getting that freedom as someone already pointed out. Cause if we were, and had the culture of it we would be much better.
Cause if we were, we WOULD have the mind of the game full time since being a kid. And on average we are bigger stronger faster here, so if we DID have the culture and kids played a thousand times on the street. We would compete with Mexico.

I've been to Italy. Argentina. Brazil. Euros in Poland. I've seen games in all these countries at the highest level. these places bleed this sport. They live and breathe it since they walk. Posters on the wall. Soccer on the streets, courtyard, school ground, favellas. Tv's at night. Weekends. That's what they do. It is their national sport. It's so engrained.
We don't. Simple as that. We have 10% of the love that these nations have for football.

How can any of our Canadian born players compete with a guy who has played in the streets growing up over 1000 times, outside of club soccer etc. With freedom to play and be creative. When our kids are playing street hockey a thousand times. Or EA sports version.
Seriously? How can we compete with that?
Your right, the mind isn't there. But it's not cause of our coaches teaching the wrong things.
No coach I know discourages players and teaches guys to blast shot. Not one. So I don't have a clue where your coming from.

Like someone said. When the coach gets 1.5 hours twice a week with a team, they are teaching the "team game"' to the players usually.

But for real. Let's friendly. I think our club u21 team could give your well coached, different level team a game. Perhaps even beat you.
;)
Challenge accepted?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Between April 9th promotion game, and B cup provincials first round, you'll have weeks to get a friendly in. let's see some action and less know it all talk. ;)

pegleg

Nov 19, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian soccer is held hostage but the club system. I'm sorry but your fate as a player is already decided by you're 7-10 years of age. Each club is a business based around signing up a large player base. You're at the mercy of the player base that's paying for your coaches. You can't expect signing up 1000-3000 kids is going to produce top talents while you're mixing the best with players that aren't.

The failure of canadian soccer is a fundamental problem and not a lack of connection with coaches at the U17-mens level. By the time a player is at 10-14 top euro clubs know which are the talents that are available. In Canada that filter begins at 13 when you pay 3-4k for being a part of HPL. Too late. You need to learn the fundamentals at 7-10 years of age. Not enough quality coaches and staff.

So let's continue to blame the kids that don't get enough contact at U17-mens. Let's teach them how to play at that age. Sure. Seems to work for everyone else. The best talents that ever came out of Canada have left at an early age. It's not a mystery.

pegleg

Nov 19, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
"We're there to give them a different kind of development. We get them into our camps, we give them exposure to international football, exposure to what it means to play for your country, to see how they react in those types of situations and ready them for the pressures of playing on the national level."

International football is already exposed to the best players.

Let's assume that national soccer is the best way to develop players. If this program worked it would have progressed.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach wrote;

c) The ball travelling towards the net. It is on the ground and more a pass than a direct shot. This is taught and encouraged. I have never heard a coach here said to the player when is front of the net make a pass to the net. It is all about blasting at full force (which most of the time does not result in a goal). Look at all the wide shots of the Canadian players in these two games. The use power rather than a gentle pass to the net.

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

I think you have your head so far up your own ass you have no idea. How have you never heard a coach say pick a corner and place it?
Do you seriously think our Canadian coaches don't say this? That we teach to blast balls?

Yes our Canadians missed the net and tried to blast it. Must be how we coach them? You for real here?
Dude giving out ice cream to girls that listen and execute or make an effort of what he is teaching them, no wonder our national team can't score. Hahahha. Your nuts man.

Amigo, you are the one with no clue. As your so far off with some of your comments its nutty.

Or was it his culture and his passion for the game that pushed him to that level. Those thousands of hours of living soccer every second of his life. All the freedom of JUST playing when he was young. Having fun. Loving the game.
These countries have the CULTURE for this sport. Our kids play street hockey or video games. They are not playing for "fun" on the streets and getting that freedom as someone already pointed out. Cause if we were, and had the culture of it we would be much better.
Cause if we were, we WOULD have the mind of the game full time since being a kid. And on average we are bigger stronger faster here, so if we DID have the culture and kids played a thousand times on the street. We would compete with Mexico.

I've been to Italy. Argentina. Brazil. Euros in Poland. I've seen games in all these countries at the highest level. these places bleed this sport. They live and breathe it since they walk. Posters on the wall. Soccer on the streets, courtyard, school ground, favellas. Tv's at night. Weekends. That's what they do. It is their national sport. It's so engrained.
We don't. Simple as that. We have 10% of the love that these nations have for football.

How can any of our Canadian born players compete with a guy who has played in the streets growing up over 1000 times, outside of club soccer etc. With freedom to play and be creative. When our kids are playing street hockey a thousand times. Or EA sports version.
Your right, the mind isn't there. But it's not cause of our coaches teaching the wrong things.
No coach I know discourages players and teaches guys to blast shot. Not one. So I don't have a clue where your coming from.

Like someone said. When the coach gets 1.5 hours twice a week with a team, they are teaching the "team game"' to the players usually.

But for real. Let's friendly. I think our club u21 team could give your well coached, different level team a game. Perhaps even beat you.
;)
Challenge accepted?
giphy.gif

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do not really think that is the same stuff, but perhaps untill you see it, you will not beleive it. oh well.. you are welcome to drop by to the Burnaby Lake this Saturday at 1:30 PM for the VMSL, B-Cup Final. As someone say, we can have a discussion and you can see how we try to play and how we feel the game differently. You will see. Most of our players are very short or not athletic. We try to play always on the ground. It is very distictive. We also have many Canadian born players, and it took us a while to change the way they played, but they have come to enjoy it and appreciate it. Feel free to drop by and chat with our players; they can discuss how different it is that most of the teams in our division. Trust me. To have a team with only 7 goals against in a season is because we do things differently.

... and yes... we are one more time the underdogs... the team that finished last but transformed itself and prove that it can go to a final.

Awesome, and here I thought I was dealing with the second coming of the North Shore Pegasus.

B-Cup Final. OK....

@bulljive, you nailed it. My bet is Port Moody Rangers Masters would run these guys into the ground and fill the onion bag, playing the same "unique" game he's going on and on about.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach wrote;

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

;)
Challenge accepted?

I don't know if you deleted this or what, but brilliant.

Yes, I will fully admit to buying them ice cream. Busted. Been doing it for 6 or so years. Ice cream for a step-over in match. Ice cream for nut megs. Ice cream for attempting and executing a header (with girls, totally different from boys...they tend to think the ball in the air is a bomb and dive for cover :D ). Simple things.

Ice cream for doing the right thing even if you do it badly, as opposed to doing the wrong thing well. I.e.: where an opportunity arrives to shoot 1st time, but the obvious choice is the left foot, but instead you take a touch and use your right foot, that's an example of doing the wrong thing well...you should always be striving to do the right thing perfectly, and the truth is, you never get there, because true perfection is impossible. So, we teach the differences.

There are four areas:

Right thing Right
Wrong thing Right
Right thing Wrong
Wrong thing Wrong

I aim to move players from Wrong thing Wrong and Wrong thing Right into either Right thing Wrong (making the wright decisions despite technical weaknesses), and Right thing Right (making the wright decisions while technically sound).

It's a talk we've had at the beginning of the seasons for the past three years, ever since I figured they were mature enough to grasp the concept. We re-visit it countless times during the season, to help point out where they should have done the technically more difficult thing because it was the right thing to do. You have to be OK with them failing, and applaud it. Failure repeated becomes success. But in doing this, you need to keep the fun and creativity in it. Thus, ice cream for creativity and executing either tactics or techniques we've been coaching.

But, hey...the Right thing Right thing is something I brought over form business practices I try to follow. It's not soccer specific, but it gets a simple point across to young girls who fear failure, but aim to do things well. It's a tough balance to get them to come out of their shells and express themselves. But when they do, I tell you what, the reward for seeing them have that small success, in coming off the pitch and giving a high five and demanding their ice cream, nothing better.

I've never taking one of the coaching courses now mandated by my club. I guess I should, but when they are on I'm off on a mountain living life. I do love coaching, though, and the rewards for seeing these house players have success, it's priceless.

Hope the B Cup goes well for you.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
4) You will learn as much as you want to. However, I will give you a true pearl of wisdom. If you want to learn to play soccer well you need to take ballet/fencing classes.

OK, so I'm guilty of reading his latest.

Awesome, just awesome. So this works for men playing in a Div. 2 armature league in Canada, huh?

pegleg

Nov 19, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach is absolutely right. The amount of players aspiring to be pro have a fundamental lack of ability to even juggle and move their body in a proper way. Watch how a pro does it. Watch how the latest and greatest that come out of U13 do it. Maybe 5-10 players are capable of those fundamentals out of talent. That's what talent is.. the ability to grasp the nature of the movements naturally and from there the players can play at a higher level. However the overlords in Canada soccer have failed utterly in providing those talents with the right programs to develop. You're not gonna get a pro out of sheer luck in Canada.

It's like im taking crazy pills.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think I am going to write a letter to Directors at Manchester United asking for @Soccer Coach to be given a chance with his "style and tactics."

I am starting to believe maybe @Soccer Coach is Canada Soccer's savior and should be at the Head of all this. Or maybe im losing my mind

Im sticking with the latter.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
PE if the kids at age of fourteen can not juggle the ball fifty times he or she are just club league soccer players. But that is not the biggest problem here.
The problem here is for most size of practice pitch for most third of a field. Second-all the kids do same drill. Three- forwards do not know how to attack one v one or in tight area against top level defenders. Four- mid-fielders run with the ball in stead moving it. Five defenders are way slow for high level.
Six-coaches over coach. Seven- 70% percent of kids are only thirty percent fit in what ever level they play.
8 and most important no NASL teams for young men and ladies to develop. Cost of adding team in NASL: is $ 800 000.00 Country pays six guys up top over 300 000.00. No you tell me what we have to do. In my opinion pay the President, two book keepers,travel manager, team doctor, one head coach. Rest get rid of and use money to set NASL side or sides. Wise man said pissing against the wind will result in salty saga in your own presence.
Third world countries have some kind of Pro league we have zilch due to guys like we have. Pissing money away helping friends. Cheers when you have bit of time talk to Chris Davies and find out what they did to him when he came back from Scotland. Now he is doing the same.
Here they have happiness in destruction. Shipping orders are more important.
Stinger Man U is my team but they are the shyts. Soccer Coach loves Latin soccer and ladies with nice hips.

pegleg

Nov 19, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
PE if the kids at age of fourteen can not juggle the ball fifty times he or she are just club league soccer players. But that is not the biggest problem here.
The problem here is for most size of practice pitch for most third of a field. Second-all the kids do same drill. Three- forwards do not know how to attack one v one or in tight area against top level defenders. Four- mid-fielders run with the ball in stead moving it. Five defenders are way slow for high level.
Six-coaches over coach. Seven- 70% percent of kids are only thirty percent fit in what ever level they play.
8 and most important no NASL teams for young men and ladies to develop. Cost of adding team in NASL: is $ 800 000.00 Country pays six guys up top over 300 000.00. No you tell me what we have to do. In my opinion pay the President, two book keepers,travel manager, team doctor, one head coach. Rest get rid of and use money to set NASL side or sides. Wise man said pissing against the wind will result in salty saga in your own presence.
Third world countries have some kind of Pro league we have zilch due to guys like we have. Pissing money away helping friends. Cheers when you have bit of time talk to Chris Davies and find out what they did to him when he came back from Scotland. Now he is doing the same.
Here they have happiness in destruction. Shipping orders are more important.
Stinger Man U is my team but they are the shyts. Soccer Coach loves Latin soccer and ladies with nice hips.

I understand. I don't think this system is intentionally malicious however teaching tactics before players learn how to control their touch properly means they'll develop usually as players that can't play at the highest level. It doesn't have to be either/or. I'd like to see more emphasis on selecting talents at an early age and providing them with the fundamentals (proper technique) that will follow them through their career/life. Learn the basics to perfection then learn tactics.

Also you can do the same drill forever. It's about knowing how to correct the players to do the drill properly. Driving home the right technique.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yes, I will fully admit to buying them ice cream. Busted. Been doing it for 6 or so years. Ice cream for a step-over in match. Ice cream for nut megs. Ice cream for attempting and executing a header (with girls, totally different from boys...they tend to think the ball in the air is a bomb and dive for cover :D ). Simple things.

Ice cream for doing the right thing even if you do it badly, as opposed to doing the wrong thing well. I.e.: where an opportunity arrives to shoot 1st time, but the obvious choice is the left foot, but instead you take a touch and use your right foot, that's an example of doing the wrong thing well...you should always be striving to do the right thing perfectly, and the truth is, you never get there, because true perfection is impossible. So, we teach the differences.

There are four areas:

Right thing Right
Wrong thing Right
Right thing Wrong
Wrong thing Wrong

I aim to move players from Wrong thing Wrong and Wrong thing Right into either Right thing Wrong (making the wright decisions despite technical weaknesses), and Right thing Right (making the wright decisions while technically sound).

It's a talk we've had at the beginning of the seasons for the past three years, ever since I figured they were mature enough to grasp the concept. We re-visit it countless times during the season, to help point out where they should have done the technically more difficult thing because it was the right thing to do. You have to be OK with them failing, and applaud it. Failure repeated becomes success. But in doing this, you need to keep the fun and creativity in it. Thus, ice cream for creativity and executing either tactics or techniques we've been coaching.

But, hey...the Right thing Right thing is something I brought over form business practices I try to follow. It's not soccer specific, but it gets a simple point across to young girls who fear failure, but aim to do things well. It's a tough balance to get them to come out of their shells and express themselves. But when they do, I tell you what, the reward for seeing them have that small success, in coming off the pitch and giving a high five and demanding their ice cream, nothing better.

I've never taking one of the coaching courses now mandated by my club. I guess I should, but when they are on I'm off on a mountain living life. I do love coaching, though, and the rewards for seeing these house players have success, it's priceless.

There are four areas:

Right thing Right
Wrong thing Right
Right thing Wrong
Wrong thing Wrong

Dude,
I was busy today, and I could not reply you in detail. I will after the games of the weekend.

I understand that you are putting a lot of effort on your team and follow the game. This is appreciated and respected as a fellow coach. It seems that you are a good business person, so I assume that you are open to new ideas and innovation, and that you recognize that this is one of key ideas from improvements in organizations.

1) Perhaps consider to take the courses that your club offer just for you to see new perspectives.

2) Perhaps consider not giving them ice cream for a few games and practices and consider to highlight to the players the intrinsic enjoyment of doing the movement and reflecting on the effect that the move has on the game itself. You might not feel as good as they will not be "demanding" the ice-cream, but the long term effect for them might be more positive as the objectives and contraints of the decision making is limited by the situation of the game itself and not the external reward.

In other words, you might be acting like a government that distorts a free market with external subsidies.
It is just a thought, but you do not have much to lose if you try something different.

3) What is right and wrong in life, philosophy, policy or science? Very little is certain. Most of what we think that we know is not certain and what it comes to the game it is the same. I do not what to get into deeply philosophical discussions, but I am sure that you are familiar with the Plato's allegory of the cave.

How do you know that "wrong thing wrong" and the "right thing right" are indeed those? Is it possible that you enforcing a paradigm onto the player that is skewed by virtue of your perspective, gender, physiological characteristics and your own experience as player and coach? Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona, Pirlo, Batistuta, Pele, Xavi, Raul do assess and play simialr situations differently. How is right and who is wrong?
Between Guardiola and Mourihno who is right and wrong in the markedly different approaches to the game? or between the "Italian" and "German" strategies to the game?

Mexican press commented on the naiveness and predictability of the Canadian players. My sense that this limitation does not come form no-where. It comes from this tendency to micro-manage the kids from early age and them imposing a semi-robotic approach of the game later on (i.e. forcing decisions of tempo, number of touches, and direction of play, as supposed to let them figure out things, etc)

Each player will solve the problem of particular situation with his/her own technical, athletic, and intellectual resources at least this one of the philosophical approaches to guiding the discovery of the game.

If you are up to trying new things. Let them play with little feedback and see what happens.
Most of the to player in the history of the world were doing this in the formative years and not receiving ice cream from a coach.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer coach wrote;

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

;)
Challenge accepted?

I will reply after the game. No need to get with personal attacks. At least, I would encourage that you stay away from them. Try to concentrate on the ideas.

a) If Larin and Canadians have problems scoring it is not their fault. It is the result of the system that created them and developed them. The system includes the coaches that selected, nurtured, and raised them. If the Canadian coaches would be providing adequate methods and approaches, then our players would be there. This is a very hard thing to accept for our soccer community, and I do understand that people get upset or do not accept this reality.

b) It is not a coincidence that Messi and Maradona come from Argentina, and Pele, Robinho and Neymar do come from Brazil, and Suarez and Cavanni from Uruguay. It is not so much what the coaches do, but more what the coaches and parents do not do. They have a better sense of when to intervene and when not to and a better feel for the patch of development of the player.

c) "No coach I know discourages players and teaches guys to blast shot. Not one. So I don't have a clue where your coming from."
I will expand on this issue later. You recognize that there are soccer cultures that are more evolved than our own, yet you seem to not reconcile this admission with the possibility that a logical and natural consequence of this limitation is that our coaches might be teaching and guiding the kids in countries markedly differently. The reality is that they do.

I know that it is ver comforting to try to think that those who are preparing us and our future players are doing the same as the ones that got players into World Cup finals, but this is false consolation and wishful thinking.

For example, many coaches in Spain or Argentina or Mexico will empashize the good treatment of the ball and scoring a goal with a pass to the net or a faint on the keeper. Here, very few would encourage this. I mentioned this in the previous post, because I was walking a by practice and the coach got very upset when their players were placing the ball or putting it over the keeper. He actually was telling them "not do this shite", "I want to see full power". Of course, the players were subsequently blasting it and sending the ball up over the net a la Larin. It was fresh in mind.

Are you seriously telling me that most coaches here are teaching and encouraging our players to treat the ball with finesse, care, and in an artful manner? Most of what I see in our fields is a total abuse of the ball.

d) If you want to play in good faith, I have no problem. However, I do believe that we might play each other in the Richmond Soccer League. Is not your club there? As you know our players are not as athletic, but I think that it can be a good experience for both teams.

I know that I am making a point that makes people upset. It is easy to "blame" a system and agree with this because it is impersonal.
It is more difficult to blame and held accountable those who are teaching and guiding us or our developing players, We know them, we like them, we appreciate them. Thus, we do not want to accept the obvious. But at the end they have a big role on the problems of our National Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0