Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada vs Argentina

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
for three of the above players, they were overlooked for teams at the provincial or international level here in this country by twat coaches that had no business being where they were...
Really? You might want to look that one up again...

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They did play brasil to a close match at Qwest a year or two ago...

Canada is currently a shambles as the have guys that would qualify to play for them, that actually are good players, choosing to play elsewhere.

we all know about Hargreaves, but Dani Fernandez (Portugal Keeper) Asmir Begovic (Bosnia Keeper) Jon De Guzman (Has been capped at youth level for Netherlands) and there are others certainly...

for three of the above players, they were overlooked for teams at the provincial or international level here in this country by twat coaches that had no business being where they were...

The Brasil match was a "friendly"... the Argies are playing for a starting spot in 2 weeks time... a little different mentality.

As for keeping Canadians in the system... :confused:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right, and the Brazil match was at a neutral site, and this was in Buenos Aires... but I digress ;)

and in order to keep Canadians "in the system" you'd need a system no?... :D

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Until Canada has a solid professional domestic league in place we will never compete. We should see improvement in the upcoming years due to having 3 MLS teams but Canada still will need a 6 to 8 team league to develope other talent. Plus the obvious players who play overseas.

The CSA also needs to work together with all provinces and clubs within to increse talent from the bottom up. Nobody in this country works together as they all have there own personal agenda's. Prime example is the Whitecaps program competeing with BC Soccer over the top players. Both systems should be working together.

Canada has plenty of talent as everyone on this site knows. It is time that all provinces and clubs actually got together and worked together. When this happens Canada will make big strides. Look how the US developed once they got their system in place in the late 80 and throughout the 90's.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a few thoughts, for what they're worth.

Once the 3 MLS teams are here, I'm told they will have zones or regions to which they have recruiting rights to for their academies, free from interference from the other teams, IE: A BC or AB kid could not be approached unless WFC told TFC or L'Ipact they could have him...
I'm told the zones are BC, AB, SASK, YT: Whitecaps. MN, ON, NWT, Nunavut: TFC. Quebec and Atlantic: L'Impact.

Now the MLS Academies have to battle independant, for profit academies (TSS etc) and local provincial assn's for the talent. The Provincial battle over players with professional setups either here or abroad has long been a bone of contention (ala Jonathan De Guzman in Holland, and his Dutch club calling the Ontario Soccer Assn for a release so they could sign him to a pro deal, and them lying through their teeth to Feyenoord saying that the player belonged to North Scarborough and the OSA, and they were owed a transfer fee, when no such agreement existed) This has long been the claim as to why he chose to cap with the Netherlands (and likely never get a sniff at full mens caps aside from Olympics and B-Friendlies) vs being potentially the best player on a team playing in the midfield beside his older brother. (The story above is not news to anyone who has followed the story since CBC ran a thing on their website interviewing the DeGuzman's father)
Below the MLS top clubs (Which has mandatory roster restrictions about playing domestic (read: Canadian) players) you have their reserve teams potentially playing in an MLS reserve league that has been rumoured, to having new Canadian teams playing in the USSF D2 (Edmonton next year, with rumours that Calgary and other cities in the East of Canada) and the PDL below that (Victoria Highlanders) and CSL (A semi-pro league predominantly in Quebec and Ontario)

There is plenty of places to go and play... but a few years of the MLS thing will help bring Canadian kids via the academies or NCAA (A major piece as to why the States and us have gone in different directions since the 86 World cup) to play at home vs playing for shite teams in shite euro leagues abroad (A player playing in the German third division for example, or a player playing on a middling team in the Norweigian or Danish Domestic leagues)

These MLS teams will HAVE to find domestic talent to fulfill their roster restraints, and thus the guys playing overseas in Scotland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Greece, will be offered contracts that are potentially overpriced, just to get enough Canadians playing here.

Once that is done you have a much easier time of getting the team together for Friendlies, trainin camps, etc... and instead of all of your team playing abroad, you may only have three or four...

and this will then get back the majority of the players in the pool back on the same page, kind of like it was in '86 when the CSL was alive and well (Maybe not financially :eek:)

another lesson to be learned from '86 is using our home and native land to our advantage, IIRC we qualified for WC'86 by playing a carribean or latin american country in the lovely weather in Newfoundland... It never ceases to amaze me that the CSA schedules games vs Jamaica in Toronto or plays Honduras in Vancouver (and has a latin american band playing in the concourse and invites the Honduran National whatever band to do a halftime display) The CSA is guilty of pandering to the competition and their support instead of marketing the games to the existing supporters and fans of the pro teams here in Canada, to use the crowd to their fullest advantage, but alas in our PC-Brigade run world, heavens forbid we make it difficult on these poor third world nations to play us... nevermind Canadians getting smacked upside the head in Azteca stadium with ziplock bags full of hot piss...

It's not mission impossible, its just a matter of getting the CSA to stop being so damn PC and typically Canadian-Bureaucratic., and removing fatcats that do fcuk-all from their perch atop the ivory tower... and making them answer to their actions or lack thereof.

~SackTheCSA

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They did play brasil to a close match at Qwest a year or two ago...

Canada is currently a shambles as the have guys that would qualify to play for them, that actually are good players, choosing to play elsewhere.

we all know about Hargreaves, but Dani Fernandez (Portugal Keeper) Asmir Begovic (Bosnia Keeper) Jon De Guzman (Has been capped at youth level for Netherlands) and there are others certainly...

I guess having two goalies in goal would help Canada's chances........

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having three MLS teams will certainly help - but here's food for thought.... the USA just announced its 23 man World Cup Roster - guess how many of those players are currently in the MLS??? all of FOUR.

Obviously the MLS has developed a lot of those players who now play overseas - but it is interesting that the majority of top American players still choose to play elsewhere.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would be like saying I am great at Hockey and when I get my big chance I dream of playing in Argentina.

We will never be a soccer power house so maybe we should close this thread.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having three MLS teams will certainly help - but here's food for thought.... the USA just announced its 23 man World Cup Roster - guess how many of those players are currently in the MLS??? all of FOUR.

Obviously the MLS has developed a lot of those players who now play overseas - but it is interesting that the majority of top American players still choose to play elsewhere.

I think that's the point.

Our players need a higher domestic level and a true professional atmosphere in order to develop. If the MLS becomes nothing more than a stepping stone to Europe, and more Canadians end up playing in the higher echelon European divisions, all the better.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

Right now guys are taking off from Canada, even North America, for Europe to develop in their teens, not making it (for the most part) in Countries with Major leagues and they end up settling in Scotland, Second to Fourth div in Germany, sweden, Denmark, etc.

It would be a lot better for these guys to develop here in the Canadian MLS club academies, come through the MLS and move to Europe.

Interesting about the US World Cup Squad... I did a quick look, of the 23 man roster, and the 19 playing abroad, only 5 have never played an actual game in MLS: Cherundulo, Onyewu, Spector (was with Chicago for a short time while on the books at ManUre), Feilhaber and Torres (Who plays for Pachuca in Mexico) and it's almost certain that DaMarcus Beasely will be leaving Rangers and heading home to MLS for next season once his contract expires in Glasgow 1 July.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree JBN.

I think in England (Maybe just premier teams), they are trying to change the rules so that you cannot sign a player under a certain age (trying for 16 I think). So that the player develops locally and if good enough once he becomes an adult then he may sign for an overseas club. This helps strengthen local leagues keeping the players who don't quite make the cut still playing a local league.

I think it is a good idea as it stops the big guns like Man U from buying players at the age of 9 and moving them and their families over so they can try and turn them into the next Ryan Giggs; like they recently did with a french lad.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0