Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caps playoffs 2009

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps won on Thursday 2-1 over Portland and drew today 3-3 after being up 1-0, down 2-1, up 3-2, and ended up 3-3 away.

We get Montreal in the finale (Karma does exist :D )

Very cool that an All Canadian Finale is there for the USL to enjoy.

I'm told Saturday the 10th is the Vancouver game, the following Saturday is the second leg in Montreal.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm told Saturday the 10th is the Vancouver game, the following Saturday is the second leg in Montreal.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but when the Caps won it last, wasn't it a 'one off' final against Puerto Rico ??

Why would they do a home & away total aggregate ??

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a two legged final now since the last few years the USL were diabolical in their decision making as to who hosted the final.

We got it last year although P.R. had the better record overall... The league wanted it in Vancouver as it would cost them little compared to what it would cost them to get the TV Trucks, announcers, etc to P.R. Instead of Vancouver.

Now they have just settled on two legged finals as they know nobody would show up at a neutral site and hardly any teams have any sort of travelling fans...

FYI: Teitur was an Assistant of Arsene Wenger for a while, I wouldn't be so quick to label him USL only as far as class is concerned. They have beat MLS Sides in the past.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a two legged final now since the last few years the USL were diabolical in their decision making as to who hosted the final.

We got it last year although P.R. had the better record overall... The league wanted it in Vancouver as it would cost them little compared to what it would cost them to get the TV Trucks, announcers, etc to P.R. Instead of Vancouver.

Now they have just settled on two legged finals as they know nobody would show up at a neutral site and hardly any teams have any sort of travelling fans...

FYI: Teitur was an Assistant of Arsene Wenger for a while, I wouldn't be so quick to label him USL only as far as class is concerned. They have beat MLS Sides in the past.

ok mr bluenoseitall.... whats the deal with the 3 teams that have been dropped from the usl next year...

carolina, minny and miami.... do we have replacements coming?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry JBN, you need to take off the Blue & White goggles for a bit. A two leg final is a joke, and speaks to how bush the league operates itself. Last year was a joke, and this is too. Very simply, they should send it to whatever city had the better record, full stop. I suspect that would be Montreal, given the Caps finished 7th of 8.

I really hate this "let's try and please everyone" solution. So PC, it makes me want to puke.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry JBN, you need to take off the Blue & White goggles for a bit. A two leg final is a joke, and speaks to how bush the league operates itself. Last year was a joke, and this is too. Very simply, they should send it to whatever city had the better record, full stop. I suspect that would be Montreal, given the Caps finished 7th of 8.

I really hate this "let's try and please everyone" solution. So PC, it makes me want to puke.

Absolutely. Since when does a 'soccer final' anywhere in the world have a two leg 'final' ?? :rolleyes:

Fcuking laughing stock .........

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
ultimate scenario

game 1 caps at home win 2-0
game 2 montreal at home win 1-0

caps win usl on montreal turf even though they lose the last game of their season..

kinda ghey if u ask me

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And then later in November, the BC Lions will go into Montreal and win the EASTERN Final and go to the Ghey, ahem, Grey Cup.

:D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who ever said the USL was doing things correctly!?

I certainly never did. I was explaining the reasoning for what they did.

I am also not apologizing for them. This league is as bush as it gets.

The officiating is terrible, most of the teams are laughable.

You have a league where it is always Montreal, Vancouver, Portland, Rochester (not this year), Minnesota (not this year)and Puerto Rico that are the league, and then there are a bunch of teams from nowhere towns or from non traditional soccer places and they fail miserably.

FSW and FSC (us equivalent) push the league around for any exposure, and the league takes it (hence this years 2 legged final)

The teams leaving or that are going on a break are trying to figure out exactly what is going on with the leagues ownership, as the league has ownership, not a B.O.G. which are representative of the member clubs and teams, which is a joke... and why the owners have started their own group, to negotiate with the league, or start their own league...

Polska you are right that the Caps could lose the last game of the year and win, and yes that woul dbe weird, but it has happened elsewhere with teams winning their league after a loss, ie a hypothetical scenario where United need to beat Liverpool to overtake Chelsea, who lose to Arsenal, but Liverpool wins and thus Chelsea are crowned champions of the league, it could happenm I'm sure it has...

The problem is that this is a playoffs in a sport where the traditionalist see the ultimate prize as winning their FA cup or league. Playing a foreign sport to north america in our sporting worlds rules for schedules (ie playoffs etc) is hard to get to know.

The league is mickey mouse at best, which is why it is imperative this stadium issue gets cleared up soon, because USL Soccer is bullshit and the MLS is at the very least credible...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess at the end of the day it is the best soccer we can see in our city. I love footy so that is why I pay attention, go to games, and like talking about it.

I don't care how many of you say the VMSL premier is the same or just a notch below...It's not.

If any of you watched that game yesterday it was immense.

It is a team playing locally that is "pro" and I can't figure out why people have a tough time supporting it. Especially when the Nucks are as usual not living up to the hype (albeit only 2 games in) and the Lions are celebrated as "Big League" when they are most certainly not, ie Regs post above. The CFL is the equivalent or lower of the USL to MLS' = NFL

Pride is a bitch.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
USL Update – Saturday afternoon 10/03/09 | Inside Minnesota Soccer

This is the latest news on the issues surrounding the League.

It looks as if these teams might start their own league of sorts for next year...

We know that it is likely that the CCL will keep either Montreal or WFC busy next year, and some barnstorming could be done as far as Vancouver and Portland with their run up to the MLS...

The USL is done if they lose Vancouver and Montreal along with Minnesota, Carolina, and Miami (meh)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough- you're a fan of the team, not the league.

This is all very confusing. So, where are the Cap's likely to play next year? And the USL, what is their plan, post 2011 when Vancouver and Portland are both gone?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk knows.

We were VERY fortunate to win the title last year considering we had HUGE home field advantage... That was very Mickey Mouse...

For next year, who knows... They could create their own league, but that would require FIFA, USA Soccer, and CSA buy in/approval. Could take a year, could take months...
This league's value is in the developmental leagues (PDL, USL-2, Super-Y, and W-League) The men's league is too big, too many poor teams, too big a continent to cover, travel is a bitch, etc etc etc.

If all were to stay the same I'd wager that Portland and Vancouver would try to start something up locally here from SoCal up, no further than Edmonton to Texas to the east, and Montreal could do the same with Charlestown, Rochester, etc... with 2 conferences that don't overlap more than a home and home... More games against teams geographically close.

Once Portland and WFC are in MLS Montreal could join the CSL? Perhaps the CSL (in it's previous incarnation) could be revived again?

liek I said... fcuk knows.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

If Teitur is the MLS coach for Vancouver, I will like JBN's sack.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0