Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2001/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Chance

Celtic will have to thank JUVE if they are to proceed to the next stages of the Champions league. Juve will be resting, Thuram, Buffon, Montero, Tachinardi, & Zambrotta . Del Piero and Trezeguet will play a half each. They are allowing players who were suspended or injured a chance to regain form.

Gianfranco Juve Buckfastino, I'll meet you at commercial drive tomorrow and we can laugh at Celtic together.:p

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celtic and Rangers

i believe the capt, meant ,that the fans of celtic and rangers should be hoping that one or both do well in europe so that scottish football can improve, and when they play in spl then there should be slagging at each orthers less fortune, because from what i have seen of scottish football so far , it is crap, they need more than two teams in the league, they have no challange for either celtic or rangers.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Same old, same old....

Belfast Sheepboy,

Your point is well taken. Although, that is not what the Captain meant at all. Please let him be a frustrated and angry Shitic supporter peacefully.:D

The weak Scottish Premier is an on-going saga. The league, really and truly, is pish. What is even more depressing, is that the Auld Firm is chalk-a-block of 'dem Foriegners. Not only does Scottish club fitba suffer, but the Tartan Army even more so. Depressing, but I don't now what the answers are.

Maybe Fastshow does, as he has an answer for everything.

Alistair Buckfast

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're wrong Belfast....

Actually, I would love Rangers to get knocked out as soon as possible. Bucky was right about something. :)

(wow, was that match against Killie crap, jammy bastages).

3 points is 3 points AND a 7 point lead is a 7 point lead. You do have a slight edge on the $10 side bet on top scorer as Flo has 9 compared to Ghod's 8. Once Celtic get knocked out of the Champions League(Did I say that?), Larsson will be playing on a regular basis, which once again means, goals.

Dynamo Shamrock

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vladimir Scamrock,

Don't play me for a dozy cnut. The bet was $50 for the league and $50 for the top scorer. I know this could bite me in the ass, but I'm a gambling man.

Lorenzo Buckfasto

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh you kidder you...

Bucky,

Go back to the thread. It is very clear that a tenner was the side bet. You're absolutely right about the $50 bet for the league champion. :p

Captain

BTW, you must be a dozy cnut ;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To refresh your memory....

A tenner on top goal scorer

A tenner on top goal scorer
I will give you 3 goals. That is pretty good considering you get to choose 2 average players over one phenom. And no, I am not going to let you combine their goal total, even though Larsson will still cover.

A tenner? Not much but enough to keep things interesting....

The reason I am only giving you three goals, and you can still turn this down, is because Ghod seems to have taken to this play maker role. He hasn't scored in Celtic's last 7 goals but has set up 4 of them directly. Rangers only have Flo/Cannigia to score. They're greedy bastards and won't pass to anyone else.

If this proposition doesn't work, come up with another one and I am sure I will oblige.

Reply....

Oh you get the picture....

You're on once again big boy..... etc.....

Captain

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wit a gam.

Celtic beat juventus 4-3 in a champions league classic.
But hud tae settle fur a place in eh uefa cup efter Porto overcam Rosenborg. Del piero put juve in front wi' an expert free kick but goals fae Valgaeren an' Sutton turned eh tables. Trezeguit suin levelled matters afair a henrik larsson penalty an' anither goal fae sutton put eh
bhoys in control. Trezeguit reduced eh arrears - an' juve hud a goal disallowed in stoppage time.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although a Juve handball shortly after could have been called, the earlier PK was a bit debatable. There certainly was excess pushing and shoving by the Juve player, however the Celtic guy wasn't so innocent himself.

Meanwhile, Chris Sutton scored one hell of a cracker for the winner. Fantastic.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Del Piero vs Beckham

Keeper,

The Del Piero goal was better than Sutton cracker. Not saying that Sutton's was shite but Del Piero's was magic. He put the ball on the same side of the net as the Keeper was. Only a couple of players in the world have the skill to do that i.e. Beckham. These two have to be the top free-kick takers in the world. Hands down.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It figures.

Always boasting about the Italian, aren't you Apprentice? :rolleyes:

A good shot? Yes. Saveable? Yes.

While the shot curled away from the keeper, I imagine a bigger man such as Schmeichel (in his younger days), van der Saar, or Toldo would have got to it. The Celtic keeper should have trusted his wall a bit more and be a step or two more to his right. Nevertheless, a nice strike.

Sutton's goal, though, was unstoppable. And he didn't have the luxury of a dead ball.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think if Buffon was in net he would of stopped the shot by Sutton.;)

Me always boasting about the Italians, You always boasting about the Keeper.:)

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rankings

The top 4 seeds have been chosen for the next stage of the Champions League.

1)Juventus
2)Real Madrid
3)Bayen Munich
4)Barcelona

The draw goes on Friday.:)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The draw

Liverpool face Roma and Barcelona as United meet Bayern again

GENEVA, Nov 2 (AFP) - English Premiership giants Liverpool will have to overcome Barcelona and AS Roma to progress to the Champions League quarter finals while Manchester United on Friday again drew old rivals Bayern Munich.

The second phase group draw pitted Liverpool against the Spanish and Italian giants whom they had to beat on the way to winning last season's UEFA Cup and they also face a tough trip to Istanbul to face Turkish champions Galatasaray in Group B.

In Group A, the only one actually composed solely of champions of their respective leagues, United were grouped with reigning European champions Bayern - the team they beat in the dramatic 1999 final but who knocked them out in last season's quarter-finals - and France's Nantes and Boavista of Portugal.

The winners of this trophy in 2000, Real Madrid, have perhaps a clearer passage, having drawn Panathinaikos of Greece, Portuguese giants FC Porto and surprise Czech qualifiers, Sparta Prague, in Group C.

England's other representatives Arsenal also have a mammoth task against Juventus, impressive Spaniards Deportivo La Coruna and Bayer Leverkusen of Germany in Group D.

The first matches take place on November 20-21 and the final ties are on March 19-20. The top two teams in each group qualify for the quarter-finals.

Liverpool and United's draw will have fans looking forward to some titanic clashes.

Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "We know Barcelona and Roma from last year and we have some very good memories but we don't fear them.

"This is a very tough group but at this stage there is no easy group."

Asked about manager Gerard Houllier, who left hospital on Friday three weeks after undergoing emergency heart surgery, Parry said the Frenchman was in regular contact with his stand-in, Phil Thompson.

"He was with us in spirit (in the decisive victory against Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday) if not in body. He's in touch several times a day but let's give credit to Phil and the other boys... they're all pulling together.

"We're only too aware of the weight of expectation at Liverpool, but this team has only shown its potential so far, I'm sure there's a lot more to come."

Roma spokesman Franco Baldini said of the draw with Liverpool: "It was an excellent game last year, there were several controversial decisions such as the penalty that went against us."

United's general secretary Ken Merrett said the English champions had almost expected to draw Bayern.

"Every time we look one another, we say yes, we're playing again," he said. "We know each other so well know, even the two managers are friends and we play them as often as we play teams in our league.

"There's nothing we don't know about each other. But we won't take Nantes lightly, we haven't played them before."

Arsenal will face the cream of Europe just days after four of their players return from a 46-hour round trip to play for France against Australia.

Arsenal's vice-chairman David Dein said: "We played Juventus 20 years ago and we beat them then.

"We've never played Bayer Leverkusen are in a tough group and it's there to be won," he added.

Bayer spokesman Reiner Calmund said simply: "We're in shock. Bayern have all the luck."

Dein added that the selection row over the France v Australia match was not over: "It has wider implications than just this match," he said. "The whole thing is very unfortunate."

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking shite....

Roma 0 Liverpool 0

Pathetic game. No creativity, no flow, and no goals. A fcuking yawner from the first foul to the four hundredth foul. Fcuking shite. That field looked very narrow. I guess when the home team lacks skill, they need to play on a match box. Candela and Totti are fcuking poofs, as were most of the Italians on the park.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roma Dominated the play of the Game, and the Ref was calling every aggressive tackle in which the ball was being won. Owen, and Gerard were the fcukin poofs. They did nothing all game and it proved that when you drop your central defender back a couple yards of Owen he is very ineffective. Roma deserved the points but the game was still boring.

Captain, when your teams next champions league game?:confused:

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's the Champions League thread L=C was looking for.

Uhm, oh yeah, Juventus got knocked out.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clarification, please.

Of course the 2nd place finishers get drawn with a 1st place finisher, but don't the rules say something about (1) not being allowed to be drawn against a team from the same country, and (2) not drawing the team from your 2nd round group?

I thought i remember someone mentioning that somewhere.

In that case from Man U (same group), Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayer Leverkusen (same country), Bayern Munich could draw from Real or Barc. Is that right? Tough draw either way. Then again, I suppose they all are at this stage.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Got it:

Stage set for quarter-final draw
Thursday 21 March 2002
The UEFA Champions League quarter-final draw takes place tomorrow (March 22nd) at 12.30CET at the House of Football in Nyon and uefa.com will be there to bring you live coverage. It will be followed at 13.00 by the UEFA Cup semi-final draw.

Three Spanish sides
Panathinaikos FC and Bayer 04 Leverkusen completed the last-eight lineup after securing their quarter-final places at the expense of FC Porto and Arsenal FC last night. The elimination of Arsenal means Spain has the most representatives remaining in the competition, with three in Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona and RC Deportivo La Coruña.

Group winners kept apart
The four group winners in the hat are Manchester United FC from Group A, Barcelona from Group B, Madrid from Group C and Leverkusen from Group D. FC Bayern München, Liverpool FC, Panathinaikos and Deportivo all advanced as runners-up. The draw will pit each group winner against a runner-up from one of the other three groups.

National derbies in prospect
Teams from the same second group stage section cannot meet, but teams from the same country can. This means quarter-final ties between Spanish, German and English sides are all possible. In each quarter-final, the group winner has the advantage of playing the second leg at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0