Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2002/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh shite .......

Regs,

Had no idea .......... I actually thought for a second that the British X Legion was lying to me ........ must've been the drunken brawl I had with a few Arsenal supporters last season .........

My apologies .....

p.s. Think I'm lining your game tonight at Association Park. You think we could sit down before the game and you explain the offside rule to me ??

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks,

I will. In Guatemala, where I received my referee's ticket , it was a huge focus. Although, I might be on the field to have a go at you, if you get it wrong....:eek:

Otherwise, I will just kick the TTP administrator. Not enough, to keep him out of Club Ireland's first game, but enough to keep him out of this game. And if I feel brave enough, I will ask someone else to out the Gold Booted Wonder........;)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you Captain .....

Captain,

I appreciate any instructions on this matter as I'm still quite new to the game after a 20 year sabatical in the physio room. Those core strengthening exercises are finally starting to pay off - just hope my knees will be able to take the constant pounding of strolling down the line ............

As a well respected Guatemalan official and a representative of that country, I still find it hard to believe that you didn't get picked up for World Cup duty. CONCACAF needs all the help they can get ........

I look forward to the onslaught of abuse tonight ........

Cheers .....

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh No!!!

From Sky Sports:

DISASTER FOR CELTIC IN BASLE

Basle (1) 2-0 Celtic (3)
Gimenez 8
Yakin 21
Champions League third qualifying round, second leg,

Final score: 3-3 (Basle go through on away goals)

Celtic crashed out of the Champions League after a disastrous evening in the St Jakob Stadium.

The Swiss outfit set their sights on a 2-0 win having grabbed a vital away goal at Parkhead a fortnight ago and they achieved it with first-half goals from Christian Gimenez and Murat Yakin.

But manager Martin O'Neill may acknowledge that he masterminded his own side's downfall by deploying four at the back.

With Basle looking to book their place in the Champions League for the first time in their history, a makeshift Celtic back four of Bobo Balde, Ulrik Laursen, Joos Valgaeren and Johan Mjallby found themselves under siege early on.

In fact the Scottish champions could even have gone a goal down after just three minutes, but for a vital block tackle by Paul Lambert on Ivan Ergic in the box with his shot set for the net.

Moments later and Bobo Balde also had to make an important headed clearance from Gregory Duruz's cross with Julio Rossi lurking ominously behind him in the six-yard box.

The writing was on the wall for Celtic and they could have no complaints when they went behind on the night after seven minutes. Hakan Yakin slid the ball through to Christian Gimenez and he coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Douglas.

Just two minutes later and the Swiss side were almost on level terms with the Celtic defence once again easily exposed.
Balde gave the ball away and was comfortably rounded by Rossi, but the Argentinian dragged his effort just past the upright.

The visiting defence was clearly in disarray, but they almost pinched a vital away goal in the 17th minute.

Joos Valgaeren's throw brushed the head of Duruz and the ball came to Henrik Larsson six yards out, but he headed straight at the grateful goalkeeper Pascal Zuberbuhler.

But the Hoops' night went from bad to worse in the 22nd minute when Basle pulled themselves back on level terms. Sebastian Barberis swung a corner invitingly into the back post area and Murat Yakin came in forcefully to to head past Douglas.

Celtic knew that they now needed to score to take their place in tomorrow's Champions League draw, but it was the home side who looked more likely to increase their advantage on the night.

Valgaeren's throw was looking like Celtic's best weapon and it almost brought them success in the 33rd minute, but Balde this time was unable to keep his header under the bar.

The Frenchman again had his head in his hands two minutes later when he got on the end of Laursen's free-kick, but Zuberbuhler somehow managed to get down to turn his header around the post.

O'Neill looked on again in anguish as Lambert was caught late by Alexandre Quennoz which led to his booking before Zuberbuhler did well to save again from Balde's point-blank header.

Desperate measures were required and O'Neill made a double substitution at the break with Steve Guppy and Didier Agathe coming on in place of Laursen and Lambert, who failed to shake off his knock.

The first-half disaster prompted the Celtic boss to revert to a more recognisable three at the back.

The visitors certainly looked more comfortable with that system and they almost scored within two minutes of the restart.
Larsson played the ball back to Petrov after good work from Guppy down the left, but the Bulgarian drilled his right-foot shot inches past the post.

Sylla should also have done better in the 51st minute when the ball found its way to him from Petrov's corner, but he hesitated and his chip back across goal was cleared by Basle.

O'Neill was becoming increasingly animated on the touchline and he was almost leaping about in celebration in the 56th minute when the impressive Guppy played the ball into the near post for Sutton, but the striker's header was well saved
by Zuberbuhler.

Celtic nearly got caught on the hour. Douglas managed to block Gimenez's effort and Valgaeren was on hand to clear Rossi's cross with the keeper struggling to get back.

The Basle defence was also holding out, but they were fortunate not to concede a penalty in the 65th minute when Quennoz handled in the box, but referee Andres Frisk was not interested.

Celtic continued to push Basle back and Zuberbuhler again saved his side with a great point-blank stop to deny substitute John Hartson from heading home Guppy's cross.

Hakan Yakin almost made Celtic pay in the 72nd minute when he found space outside the box and fired just wide. The visitors were running out of time and luck as Hartson was just unable to get a touch on Lennon's cross.

But Douglas also made some great saves and denied Mario Cantaluppi before Hartson blazed over with time on his hands.
Sutton should have put Celtic in tomorrow's Champions League draw in Monaco with a glorious chance in the dying moments, but his right-foot curler went agonisingly past the post.

The UEFA Cup now awaits, but it is is a prospect that won't give O'Neill and the Parkhead money-men much consolation.

Unrucky you green muppets!!!:D

:wa: :bronco: :knvb: :wa: :bronco: :knvb: :wa: :bronco: :knvb:
Ilovethesewebastards!!!:wa: :bronco: :knvb: :wa: :bronco: :knvb:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ironically, Larsson who has saved Celtic over the last few years cost them a place in the next round with the missed penalty in the home leg. I guess the Scottish League is just that bad.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celtic were atrocious. Long boots up the field to Sutton or poor runs down the wings (Guppy excluded).

Worst I've seen them play in two weeks.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celts

There's always the "B Cup"??? I know Rangers are happy to be bridesmaid and play against all of the shite tier two teams!!!:rolleyes:

GuinnesswonderingifallofthisBCuptalkwillstartagain???:eek:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Champions League Draw for 1st Group Stages

Group A Group B Group C Group D
Arsenal FC Valencia Real Madrid Inter
Borussia Dortmund Liverpool AS Roma Olympique Lyonnais
PSV Eindhoven Spartak Moskva AEK Athens Ajax
AJ Auxerre FC Basel KRC Genk Rosenborg BK

Group E Group F Group G Group H
Juventus Manchester United Bayern München Barcelona
Feyenoord Bayer Leverkusen Deportivo La Coruña Galatasaray
Dynamo Kyiv Olympiakos Piraeus ACMilan Lokomotiv Moskva
Newcastle United Maccabi Haifa RC Lens Club Brugge KV

(I can't figure out how to do this shite properly, but you'll get it):rolleyes:

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Lone Star State

Watched the Shitic game at a Rangers Supporters Club in Houston. The celebrations were certainly Texas-size.

Fcukin' pissin' myself laughin'.

Shitic you have done Scotland proud.

God Save the Queen.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Liverpool 0 Valencia 2 (at half)

Liverpool is getting spanked in Spain...........all reports have them being taken to school........Dont know about Houllier's decision not to start Owen or Barros.

sandman:mad:

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roma lost 3-0 to Madrid at the olympic stadium. Totti, and Batistuta were not in the line-up with Ronaldo also sitting this one out.

Inter tied with Rosenburg 2-2

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Real showed to be atleast two classes above the Italians. The signs are there, with Inter drawing with Rosenburg, that Italian soccer is yet to recover to where they could compete with the highest levels of the game.

Guti made mince of the Roma defence and it almost looked like the Real players were just having some fun out there...

When does Juve play? I always liked them....

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time for action

While this could be posted in any number of threads, I've only put it here because I saw a perfect example in today's Roma-Real match.

I'm getting sick and tired of teams being forced back 10 yards by the ref, only to have a guy sprint to within 2 feet before the ball is kicked. Granted, the kicker can choose not to kick it, but regardless of whether he does or not, I believe the charging player deserves a yellow. I mean, what's the point of getting 10 yards, if some guy's going to end up 2 feet away to block the ball.

Crap, I say. Bring out the cards and put an end to this sh!t.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
kyiv 2- newcastle 0
Juve 1-Feyernood 1
ACM 2 - Lens 1
Braca. 3 - Brugge 2
Galatasaray 2- Lok. Moscow 0
Deportivo 3 - Bayern 2
Man U. 5 - Maccabi 2
Olympiacos 6 - Leverkusen 2

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Match Day 1

Great result for United today but letting in 2 against a bunch of nobody's ??!! Shocking ..... listened to the match on the radio and sounded like Blanc and Ferdinand still haven't sorted out their partnership properly ........ good to see United bang in 5 and for Forlan who buried one from the spot after Beckham had been brought down in the area. As a 'gesture', Beckham handed over the penalty responsibilites to Forlan to get his first for the club in 27 appearances ........

All games that are shown on TSN can be found through this link:

Champions League on TSN

Also ...... sounded like a fantastic match in Munich today ..... a Roy Maakay hat trick to turn over the Germans !!!!!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All good things come to an end – and Bayern’s proud record of a 29-game unbeaten home run in the Champions’ League was shattered on Wednesday evening by a disciplined Deportivo La Coruna side and a demonstration of clinical finishing by Dutch marksman Roy Makaay.
Crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0