Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Computers

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky

If it's anything like their music sharing/downloading software you'll end up with a bunch of other crap software installed as well that will bog down your computer.

Seems to be a hit right now, if anyone has tried it I'd love to know how it works as well.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's something I wondered about.

If that is the case, I'm sure someone will come up with skype lite.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't this the same thing as MS Netmeeting was a few years back? I used to be able to call Bigun up in Smithers using it... from my computer to his phone. Same thing?

~Regs.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kazaa

Has anyone heard anything about Kazaa now charging for music downloads?
Heard from someone that they knew someone ( :rolleyes: ) who had charges on the ISP bill for downloads.

Being in computers you would think i would disregard this as a joke and a story that has changed every time someone tells it but none the less still curious.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Kazaa

Originally posted by Yoda
Has anyone heard anything about Kazaa now charging for music downloads?
Heard from someone that they knew someone ( :rolleyes: ) who had charges on the ISP bill for downloads.

Being in computers you would think i would disregard this as a joke and a story that has changed every time someone tells it but none the less still curious.

Their is an option to pay for some music now on Kazaa. I wouldn't know since I don't pay for high speed Internet.:D

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The latest from Microsoft:

To the growing frustration and annoyance of Microsoft's management, Apple Computer's iPod is wildly popular among Microsoft's workers.

"About 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a portable music player have an iPod," said one source, a high-level manager who asked to remain anonymous. "It's pretty staggering."

The source estimated 80 percent of Microsoft employees have a music player -- that translates to 16,000 iPod users among the 25,000 who work at or near Microsoft's corporate campus. "This irks the management team no end," said the source.

So popular is the iPod, executives are increasingly sending out memos frowning on its use.

Of course, Microsoft's software is used by dozens of competing music players from manufacturers like Creative Technology, Rio and Sony. Its Windows Media Audio, or WMA, format is supported by several online music stores, including Napster, Musicmatch and Wal-Mart. Microsoft's PlaysForSure program markets this choice as a boon for consumers.

Nonetheless, Apple's iPod commands 65 percent of the portable player market, and its online iTunes Music Store 70 percent of online music sales, according to Apple.

"These guys are really quite scared," said the source of Microsoft's management. "It shows how their backs are against the wall.... Even though it's Microsoft, no one is interested in what we have to offer, even our own employees."

So concerned is management, owning an iPod at Microsoft is beginning to become impolitic, the manager said. Employees are hiding their iPods by swapping the telltale white headphones for a less conspicuous pair.

"Some people are a bit concerned about being traitors, not supporting the company," he said. "They're a bit stealth about it."

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any manager in the tech industry who demands brand loyalty over superior technology (especially flying in the face of common sense like this) deserves to have his/her head examined.

As far as I can find, MickeySoft have no plans to enter the media player hardware business, so why are they complaining? Apple currently makes the best product for this on the market, period. Get over it, Bill!

Latest thing Microsoft has done right was to buy Giant Software (vendor for their new "beta" anti-spyware software). Haven't seen the price named anywhere yet, but at least this one works. I've used it prior to the buyout, and it was able to pick up crap that both Ad-aware and SpyBot missed. Managed to save a few pennies for a couple of my clients....

beerz,

stew :cool:

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know of a good place that is offering new quality deals on PC's. I have tried a few places but none come with everything that I want. My main concern for my new computer is one with a dual drive DVD-rw/cd-rw, with atleast 512ram and p4 2.8ghz.

Cheers
JB

p.s. remember I am scottish keep that in mind :D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
J_B (ya cheap-arsed Scots barstard ye):

Try a place like NCIX or Anitec for price comparisons. You might have to do a bit of mix-and-match instead of getting a box off the shelf... Keep in mind as well that most of the local bandits give cash discounts of 2-3%.

beerz,

stew :cool:

another cheap-arsed Scots barstard

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ATIC also has great prices. But don't expect too much customer service.
Here's a link to some of there current systems.
This one has what your looking for, but as a scotsman, don't know if it fits your budget.

ATIC Computers

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ATTENTION: Apple/Mac Users

I'm thinking of making The Switch as soon as I can afford the new 20" iMac but I'm concerned about transfering all my PC/Windows data to an Apple platform.

So far I've been told two different answers regarding the ability or inability to plug an external hard drive (formatted for Windows) into an Apple. Will the Apple operating system recognize it? One dude at the store said yes, another said no. So which is it?

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
ATTENTION: Apple/Mac Users

I'm thinking of making The Switch as soon as I can afford the new 20" iMac but I'm concerned about transfering all my PC/Windows data to an Apple platform.

So far I've been told two different answers regarding the ability or inability to plug an external hard drive (formatted for Windows) into an Apple. Will the Apple operating system recognize it? One dude at the store said yes, another said no. So which is it?

Keeper,

I have been thinking the same about switching from PC to Mac, I have been told the transfering Documents from PC to MAC and vice versa wouldn't be an issue. I would still be a little cautious on this as some may use that as a selling feature for those that are not computer knowledgable.

Cheers
JB

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, Macs can mount most any formatted drive. They've been used by police in forensic applications for years because of this ability.

You might want to look into a FireWire/USB2 enclosure for the drive. I've got one here that you can borrow if you'd like...I thought you were looking a little smarter Saturday night and this now confirms it!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Try this out. Suggests either using an external harddrive or burning it to CD and transferring.
You can get a USB Case to mount your existing harddrive in and just plug it into the Mac to transfer data. Their about $25-$30.

Hot to Transfer windows files to a mac

Good luck!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree. Even the Apple website boasts about how easy it is and that even Microsoft Office documents are compatable (assuming you purchase Office for Mac), however they don't actually say HOW to do it.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The drives I'm concerned about are already external, so I'm not worried about that. I've noticed that Apple works primarily with FAT formatted drives, whereas mine are formatted NTFS. Is that a problem?

Funny, Peter, I was admiring that MacBook you were running. Nice video... :)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0