Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Computers

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've noticed that Apple works primarily with FAT formatted drives, whereas mine are formatted NTFS. Is that a problem?

Dilbert:

Yes, this can be a problem. NTFS is a native Windows drive format, so yes, you do have an issue. You can also not easily convert an NTFS-formatted drive back to a FAT32 one. According to some semi-literate sources that I have consulted, Macs using Tiger (OS10.4+) are able to read NTFS formatted drives but not write to them yet. This means that you will have to find enough space to transfer the files you want to alter to....

This is not yet a completely straight-forward exercise either. Make sure you have a backup of your files on both sides before you proceed.....

Trece

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or just buy a Windows box.
Just ask KNVB what to buy from Dell. He just learned it all.
:)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, Trece.

So then I'm thinking perhaps I could transfer the files through a network. My wife has a laptop I could mount the external drives on to, but is a network easily created between an Apple and a PC? We're already set up as a network between our two PC's, but would it be easy to switch to an Apple and still be able to share files, printers, etc.? (She's running XP Home on hers, and I assume the Apple would be loaded with the new Tiger OS)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now that's an answer I was hoping for! Beautiful.

Now, I've $700 set aside. Any ideas for making a quick $1300?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Computers and World Cup

Not quite online but Micrsoft has a decent Windows Soccer Scorebaord you can download and install for you desktop. You can select a specific team and see the the results as the games going on, standings for the group and next match. Check complete standings for all teams and Complete schedule for the team you pick plus all games upcoming.
Includes a ticker at the bottom as well.

Can even set the transparency so you can have it up and still see your work behind it.

Check it out here.
Microsoft Soccer Scoreboard

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, Peter and other mac users,

I haven't put the order in yet, but I've been given the green light to get an iMac for Christmas. Daddy wants a 24", but Daddy is told that 24" is 'obscene'.

So that in mind, this is what I'm thinking about:

iMac, 20-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Part Number: Z0DH
Accessory kit
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512

Here's where I need your opinion. As I plan to do mostly a whole lot of photo/music/video/web stuff, should I go with the 2.33 processor and 1GB ram, or the 2.16 process and 2GB? I doubt I'll be allowed to get both the 2.33 and 2GB.

Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. (and yes, I can already see whack load of 24" jokes coming...) :rolleyes:

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe both of those processors have 2MB of Level 2 class so, if that is the case, there wont be a huge difference between them. RAM is crucial for most premier A/V, editing programs. As soon as you hit the wall and VM(pagefile aka hard drive) starts getting hammered and things will slow down. Speaking of harddrives I would definitely look into multiple drives for performance(is that an option with a MAC?). When compiling projects, the ability to seperate reads and writes pays dividends in speed and quality(less chance of contention related hiccups).

My 95cents....

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper,

I would take a rain check and wait until after MacWorld Expo San Fran which starts January 8th. Apple plays their cards very close to their chest and there's no guarantee there will anything new—the buzz is that Apple will release a new phone/ipod—but in years past that's when they announce new product. What this means is at the worst you will get the same machine you were going to get (the 20" is a good choice, the 24" gives you that much more real estate), at best you will save money on that machine or, more llikely, get a faster iMac for the same dough.

The downside is you obviously won't be opening up a nice box (computer, that is...) on December 25th, and the other thing that can happen is Apple may announce something and then not have inventory for a while. This happens a lot but more typically with "new" product and I wouldn't call the iMac new.

The other thing is: spring for more RAM. Max it out. Call me and I can help with that...

The hard drive issue is moot as you can add FireWire drives (or arrays) as needed however the 24" model comes with FW 800 which is more robust (higher potential throughput) than 400.

You are buying via the Education channel?

Cheers, Peter

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I'm going through the education link on the Apple site.

Good to know about the MacWorld Expo. I had no idea about that. Hmmm, that's a tough amount of time to wait with no Christmas present..... :(

A somewhat related question regarding iWeb. Last night I was doing some research and found complaints that iWeb only allows users to have one website project at a time. Unlike Frontpage (for example) where you can work on any number of projects and upload them separately, I've read that you can only have one website currently published at any given time. Is that true?

Is it possible that wouldn't be able to maintain our club website, my own, the church website, etc. at the same time? That can't be. Or do I just need to get different software? I couldn't find Frontpage for Mac.

Should I contact you before or after I get it to ask about the ram?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, use Dreamweaver...I don't anything about iWeb. I can't believe it would be so limited, but who knows?

Well, RAM is typically 1-2 days away so you're probably safe talking to me the same time you order the computer. I haven't looked to see how cost effective the 2GB sticks are but I'd recommend at least getting 2 x 1GB modules.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, Peter. I couldn't wait. Fedex delivers today. I"ve been already been waiting for a year and I could stand it any longer.

I'll be getting touch with you in the New Year about more RAM, as I only upgraded for the faster chip and the wireless keyboard/mouse.

Thanks for the advice lately.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
AS said, don't use anything other than Dreamweaver.
Bought Studio 8 today, and after just 30-45 minutes... Dreamweaver blows me away. Thanks, Regs.

Peter, I've got another question for you. I've been trying to use Yummy FTP to update a few sites. It connects to the server (apparantly), but it won't give a listing of any the files or folders contained on it. Do you think this is just Yummy-specific or have you ever heard of problems with Macs being able to read PC-based servers? Is there such a thing? I doubt it.

BTW, so far this iMac is a hit. I love it.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, FTP is FTP...shouldn't make any difference. Are you sure you've navigated to the right directory? Having said that, I've never heard of Yummy FTP, I use Captain FTP or Fetch.

Here's a site you should probably visit to help you "test" things out.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dilbert:

As stated, ftp is ftp (no, don't capitalize it) - the type of computer at the other end is irrelevant, as long as it is able to understand the unix commands that happen in the background. If you previously had access to the contents of the folders you are trying to navigate to, then you should still be able to see said contents, if in fact you actually are connected to the server.

Essentially, there is nothing that an ftp client would do to change folder permissions remotely (i.e. being able to read folder contents, writing to them, etc...). Check your connection log - it sounds more like you're not actually connecting to your server. You might also want to check your firewall settings and see if your ftp ports are enabled....

Failing that, ask Peter what you've done to screw up a nice new Mac...:D

Trece

ps - best Mac techs I know all work at the Richmond School Board...

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've switched over to Fetch and the problem still exists.

Yes, I am connecting and the log confims it. In fact, I've been in communication with the Fetch tech support and they can't figure it out either.

I can upload, navigate to new folders -- even creat new folders -- but nothing ever appears in the fpt client.

At this point I don't know what to do.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Keep,

I am not sure if this will help...but for Windows IIS implementations there is the following setting for Directory Listing Style...

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    14.8 KB · Views: 48

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0